HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Pouncey out
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pouncey out
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: August 23, 2016 02:35AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pouncey out
Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: August 23, 2016 05:31AM

It wouldn't shock me a bit to see an improved running game against Atlanta.

The problem with our line is most of them are playing out of position. It's the stupid moneyball approach we use. They signed Steen because he looks like a center even though he's never played the position before. Bushrod has never played RG but is penciled in as the starter.

I like Steen. He's looked good with the 2s as has Urbik.

What I'd like to see is a line of Albert, Gas Mask, Steen, Urbik, James. Bushrod is good vet depth for the inevitable Albert injury.

Date: August 23, 2016 06:59AM

jsm08 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It wouldn't shock me a bit to see an improved
> running game against Atlanta.
>
> The problem with our line is most of them are
> playing out of position. It's the stupid
> moneyball approach we use. They signed Steen
> because he looks like a center even though he's
> never played the position before. Bushrod has
> never played RG but is penciled in as the starter.
>
>
> I like Steen. He's looked good with the 2s as has
> Urbik.
>
> What I'd like to see is a line of Albert, Gas
> Mask, Steen, Urbik, James. Bushrod is good vet
> depth for the inevitable Albert injury.

I'd like to see us move Pouncey to Guard permanently and trade Albert. Then let Tunsil play his natural position (LT).

Date: August 23, 2016 07:29AM

I think that's the long term plan with tunsil. If the line shows drastic improvement with Steen filling in at C I'd trade Pouncey if it isn't cap prohibitive.

Date: August 23, 2016 09:45AM

Date: August 23, 2016 09:46AM

Date: August 24, 2016 07:50AM

I hope this new center can snap the ball......I knew things were going to well for Tanny.....

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: August 26, 2016 03:06AM

Well..except for 1 bad snap and a bad block that caused the high pass and INT ......he blocked well IMO.we actually have depth at that position.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: August 26, 2016 03:15AM

He looked better than pouncey and when you have a competent C the guards look better too.

That's the best our line has looked in a long time.

Date: August 26, 2016 05:41AM

jsm08 Wrote:
> He looked better than pouncey and when you have a
> competent C the guards look better too.
>
> That's the best our line has looked in a long
> time.

The best our O-Line has looked since LAST TIME Pouncey sat out (when we had Satele at center). Do you think the coaching staff will take notice of this?

Date: August 26, 2016 05:54AM

I hope so. they have no allegiance to pouncey.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: August 26, 2016 06:49AM

What are you all talking about trading people.....You need depth on a football team.........

And talking about moving people from one spot to the other......withtunsil and bushrod at guard we have looked great....

Why would anybody move them out of those positions...

Thats not very smart.

Date: August 26, 2016 10:17AM

If steen plays well enough to replace pouncey then you don't need a 9mm/yr backup C. Urbik would be the depth at C.

Moving Tunsil to LT is the long term goal. No one is saying put him there now.

Bushrod was horrible last week. He looked a lot better with a competent C making the line calls last night.

Contrary to what you may think, this is a rebuilding team. We let our FAs walk and replaced them with aging stopgap vets. We're going to get a couple of comp picks...probably a 3rd and 4th...for those losses.

We do have some young talent at WR to build off of and if we give tannehill a pocket like he had last night the O could be productive. The D is the main concern. I'm not expecting much from the phins this year. So if we can get a high pick for Pouncey I'd take it. Now that's only if Steen proves to be a capable replacement.

Date: August 26, 2016 10:37AM

From a guy that still remembers Dwight Stephenson, and knowing the Phins are one of the few teams to have 2 HoF Centers (Langer is the other one), I find it so sad that our starting Center can be so easily replaced by a rookie who never played Center before. This points directly at the failures in our front office and coaching staff. We can't recognize that BRAINS are important in football. Physical ability is fine, but if you're not smart you will drag the team down with you. Chad Pennington was able to win 11 games while not being able to throw over 15 yards accurately due to a weak arm and bad shoulder. He compensated with intelligence. Why do we keep ignoring that?!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2016 10:38AM by montequi.

Posted by: gofins60 ()
Date: August 26, 2016 10:38AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> What are you all talking about trading
> people.....You need depth on a football
> team.........

They would never make Pouncey a back-up with his big money contract, so they keep starting him. The people in charge are just too damn stubborn to do what is best for the team. Everyone can see that the line play improved when he was replaced by Satele and now by Steen. Pouncey needs to go... ASAP!

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: August 26, 2016 03:35PM

Steen is in his 3rd year played 2 years in AZ. He really gets the lions share ofthe credit for the line play last night imo. Helping out both guards, going one one w/ a dt and driving him back. The tackles were able focus on their blocking assignments, man it was great watching the oline in the 1st half. All this pointed to is what Pouncey does not bring to the table, brains.
Turner and Thomas did not look bad on the right side. Turner looked comfortable back at his college position.

Date: August 27, 2016 04:24AM

I think you guys are mistaken about pouncey........Once they inserted both bushrod and tunsil last week everything changed....

Pouncey is not the problem.....It was dallas thomas and the other guard spot that got beat over and over....

One guard gets beat the oline looks bad....Both guards get beat....Tell the center to pick a side and it wont make difference....

Its the guard spot that stunk.

Pouncey played last week against a very good dallas defense and tannehill had a whole lot of time to throw the foottball.

Even the LT i saw getting beat once...

Dont put it all on pouncey.

If both bushrod and tunsil play well you will see a very good Oline this year...

POuncey is not the problem IMO.

Date: August 27, 2016 04:28AM

JT calls pouncey the best center in football in the interview which i think went a bit too far. I agree....

The best center in foottball?

Maybe not...

But he is probably top 5 or 6 in the league.

Date: August 27, 2016 04:31AM

And i tell you they dont call tunsil the best player in this years draft for nothing...

The guy can really block.

He is going to be a good one.

Date: August 27, 2016 04:39AM

Date: August 27, 2016 05:46AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> JT calls pouncey the best center in football in
> the interview which i think went a bit too far. I
> agree....
>
> The best center in foottball?
>
> Maybe not...
>
> But he is probably top 5 or 6 in the league.

He's really good in one-on-one blocks, stunts, etc.. That all requires strength and physical talent. Where Pouncey lacks is in calling correct blocking schemes and helping his Guards. That's why rushers have slipped inside on us so much in the past. Fact is, the O-Line MUST play as a team. The way Pouncey plays, he relies on the other guys to hold their blocks and he holds his, but when something breaks down Pouncey isn't there to help.

Remember when we had Hudson Houck coaching the O-Line? We put scrubs out there and played well...particularly the interior of the line. Back then the sacks we gave up were around the edge because or tackles weren't that great. Now we have 2 really good tackles and sacks seem to come up the middle instead. Sorry, but there's no excuse for that. Interior blocking is, overall, the responsibility of the Center. That's why some people have given props to Steen for helping out on blocks inside with his Guards. That's how an O-Line is SUPPOSED to play, but Pouncey doesn't seem to be interested in playing as a team. He's all about his own personal achievement.

Date: August 27, 2016 05:53AM

Quote: That's how an O-Line is SUPPOSED to play, but Pouncey doesn't seem to be interested in playing as a team. He's all about his own personal achievement.

LOL where do you get this from.....?

Quote: He's really good in one-on-one blocks, stunts, etc.. That all requires strength and physical talent. Where Pouncey lacks is in calling correct blocking schemes and helping his Guards.

If both guards get beat which is what happen to dallas thomas and the other scrub guard who was playing......Then the center comes up looking bad...

POuncey i guarantee you will play up to pro bowl level playing along tunsil and bushrod as guards.

Date: August 27, 2016 06:06AM

I, honestly, don't care if the center is a pro bowler if the rest of the O-Line stinks. The Center is the QB of the O-Line. If the line stinks...some of that falls on him.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: August 28, 2016 06:04AM

Its always been my opinion that Pouncey plays his own game. Not pointing out the right blitz and stunts, playing to his strong points (pulling, blocking, helping out all on the r side). Yes Bushrod and Tunsil have elevated the lines play but Steen imo gets the lions share of credit for that first half against ATL.

Date: August 28, 2016 01:34PM

No one has been more critical of the Oline then me. I was very skeptical of how they would play even with a first round pick on the line. I am pleasantly surprised with the OLine so far despite Pouncys injury.
Is it the Coaching? The New Blood? I dont know but something is working where the past 4 yrs has not. A starter went down and a back up took over seamlessly. Thats what makes Playoff teams. Quality back ups at Key positions.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: August 28, 2016 10:14PM

It was all Philbin.....who sucked up to Ross.

Date: August 29, 2016 05:08AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> It was all Philbin.....who sucked up to Ross.

Philbins biggest fault was he wasn't confident to hire a coach that wasn't "his buddy". And if you disagreed.....you were gone no matter how good a player you were.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.