HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Dr Z's list
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Dr Z's list
Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: June 29, 2016 08:16AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dr Z's list
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: June 29, 2016 12:47PM

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: June 30, 2016 02:54AM

Tremendous article, wow db coaches teaching cbs to chop receiver's down at the line of scrimmage, head slapping that's old school football. I begrudgingly give Hanna the title of best guard I have seen but would take Little over Parker and I would take Zonk or Warfield over any of those guys he has in their positions. Johnny U vs Montana wow. Casper did have some great hands but Winslow did everything that Casper did but 2Xs better. Winslow was the best TE I ever saw.

Date: June 30, 2016 08:27AM

"As was said of Jim Brown, "He was a power running back in a day when all of the defensive linemen were only his own same height and weight."

Nowadays those d linemen are much bigger and faster as well.

What? Brown was a 225lb fullback, and most of the d-lineman were 250-up to a huge(in those days)280 lbs. As for being faster and stronger, that's true, but the older guys were much quicker, not the same thing and perhaps more important in the confines of the interior line.

This is, of course, a purely speculative intellectual exercise that can never be proven, but it is fun to speculate sometimes. I must say that I disagree with some of Dr. Z's selections also.

Rick

Date: June 30, 2016 09:45PM

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: July 01, 2016 03:24AM

Jim Brown is the #1 HB in my book zonk the #1 fb. On film (Im too young to remember Brown playing) Brown most of the time ran out of a split or single back backfield. He was so powerful he did not need a lead blocker unless he ran to the left side out of the split.. There were other big backs in those days, John Henry Johnson, Jim Nance Jim Taylor are a few I remember & Zonk came around in the late 60's. There were some great backs but Brown imo had everything. I think only Ernie Davis was better because he had Brown's size and power but much more speed. Too bad he did not get an opp to play. Would Brown be able to do it in todays league, yep he would be better than Marshawn Lynch.

Brown, Sayers, Simpson, Campbell and Dickerson are my top 5.

Date: July 01, 2016 03:23PM

Date: July 02, 2016 08:31AM

I'm not going to argue with you about this, there have been several other great backs that were fun to watch. My opinion is firmly formed in my mind partly because I was lucky enough to see Brown destroy the Philadelphia Eagles in Franklin Field several times when I was a kid, and he impressed the hell out of me.

Rick

Date: July 03, 2016 10:26AM

Well, I was not saying that he was not a great back. I still consider him the greatest of all time. But I was just pointing out the differences in size and speed then as opposed to now. So the athletes back then have to be judged by their then talent they were playing again and it is impossible to project them into modern times and try to determine what success they would have.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: July 03, 2016 04:05PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, I was not saying that he was not a great
> back. I still consider him the greatest of all
> time. But I was just pointing out the differences
> in size and speed then as opposed to now. So the
> athletes back then have to be judged by their then
> talent they were playing again and it is
> impossible to project them into modern times and
> try to determine what success they would have.

There is no doubt in my mind, Chryen, that Brown would be just as good today as he was back then. I can say the same about Zonk, Campbell, OJ, etc.

Date: July 03, 2016 05:57PM

He had enough of the "it" factor that I have no doubt that he would.thumbs up

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.