HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          I supported Tannehill for 3.5 years-I can't do it anymore
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
I supported Tannehill for 3.5 years-I can't do it anymore
Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: December 27, 2015 02:57PM

As bad as the defense is, Tannehill finds a way to blow the game- either by not getting any points early when he has a chance, or, if he actually has a chance to win it at the end, he chokes. Last week, he has Landry open behind a defender at the 8 yard line, and he throws it over Landry's head. He never sees the ball again. This week, he has Landry open in the front corner of the end zone, and he throws it over his head. Then, fourth down on the 5, with a timeout to work with, he doesn't make sure his offense knows the snap count. This guy doesn't cause any excitement late in games, and he consistently fails. He cannot make quick decisions, or quick throws, he cannot make things happen late in the half, he doesn't see blitzes or open receivers any professional QB should see. After four years, he has developed no pocket presence. I want to like the guy as a QB, I supported him for 3.5 years - I just can't do it anymore.I never get that "plenty of time left! We can win!" feeling from him, 'cause I know that he will find a way to blow it. He generates NO confidence, in either his offense or in the fans.

Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I supported Tannehill for 3.5 years-I can't do it anymore
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: December 27, 2015 04:59PM

I think a number of us continued to give him rope, and he eventually hung himself. He's done. We will likely be drafting in the top 6. This isn't a great offensive draft, but maybe we can land someone?

Date: December 27, 2015 05:52PM

Oh yeah , lets not talk about the touchdown that the referees literally stole from him.

The sad part here is that people here are rooting against him rather than for him. No one even seems outraged at that BS call.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: KB ()
Date: December 28, 2015 05:02AM

Yes the early call that took away the TD was a typical...ticky tack, BS call. And yes, the last play of the game was one of the most pathetic I've ever seen as a Dolphin fan...Marino couldn't have gotten rid of that ball....But the fact is it shouldn't have come to that. We had FOUR SHOTS INSIDE THE 5 on at least two of those, Tannehill had time and MISSED open receivers with poor throws. Stop excusing the guy, hes no better than the rest of the keystone cops we have out there. They ALL need to go.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: December 28, 2015 05:23AM

Tannehill is a scrub.

Posted by: SouthFlPhinFan ()
Date: December 28, 2015 05:35AM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh yeah , lets not talk about the touchdown that
> the referees literally stole from him.
>
> The sad part here is that people here are rooting
> against him rather than for him. No one even seems
> outraged at that BS call.

I don't root against him, I still want to win each and every game.. But time after time he lets me down... It's time to look at other options, not saying just outright dump the guy, still try to develop him while you search for another option.. I think some are rooting against the D and the O line so they can deflect blame from Tannehill... Oh was it the Ref that stood in the endzone and took the SAC?? was it the ref missing open Rec? was it the ref that didnt even try to use his legs to score???

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: December 28, 2015 05:41AM

I initially hated the Tannehill pick and wanted Kuechly, who went the pick after Tannehill. But then Tannehill's play and progression over the next couple years won me over. Then this year was regression. I do not believe it is time to completely cut the rope on Tannehill. The bottom line is that our entire team did not play well this year other then Landry and Reshad Jones. So while I am not against drafting a QB that could be stud in the 1st rd. I think we need to see how next year goes. I dont think we should judge Tanehill so harshly just on this year.. Our team as a whole was a complete mess... I also think we still need that stud MLB that we missed out on with Kuechly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: December 28, 2015 05:43AM

Several years ago we had a discussion here about which was the smart approach,, to first build the o-line and then get the elite QB or, get the elite QB first and then build the team around him.
First of all, I don't think Tannehill is elite but, he could have been good IF, we had built the line first.
The only reason he was even selected by Miami was because of Sherman and his buddy Philbin. If not Miami, Tannehill might have been selected by another pathetic team like Cleveland and, like Weeden, would be with his second or third team by now. You never know.
As far as o-lines go, at the beginning of the season, Dallas was supposed to have one of the best in football. It's interesting that Romo could make it work but, Weeden or Cassal couldn't.

The Clown Show Continues

-

Posted by: SCPhinsFan ()
Date: December 28, 2015 06:53AM

This year has been such and utter disaster, its hard to pinpoint just one area that needs to be fixed. I would like to see a planned "turnaround", not some quick fix, patch job based on signing one or even two players that will "save" the franchise

With Tannehill's contract and the lack of projected QB talent in this years' draft, a new coach is probably going to try to make it work with Tannehill for at least one year. I would suspect that Moore is gone to be replaced by a younger and cheaper QB that can compete.

Date: December 28, 2015 08:40AM

Look around him. These are his options 90% of the time:

Take a sack , or throw a shitty pass because they are about to sack .

Look at the sacks he took yesterday , the past 2-3 weeks. This is not tannehill sitting in the pocket holding on the ball for several seconds. These defenders are coming literally straight at him with no effort. That last sack took maybe 1 second off the clock. Dan Marino didn't possess a fast enough release.

Saying that "he" let you down is a mistake. I saw two #'s repeatedly letting defenders go unassisted , #74 Jason Fox and # 63 Dallas Thomas. These are pathetic excuses for Offensive lineman. Not even back ups but they are starters because its either them or the 300Lb Hot dog guy from the stands. Tannehill didn't even have time to drop back and they were on him. And he doesnt complain , he doesnt freak out , he gets up and goes at it again.

As sure as I was that Dion Jordon was a bust , I'm even more sure that Tannehill , who holds some records of his own despite this lousy lousy Oline, will be a tremendous success with the right support , meaning some blocking and a capable Offensive coordinator . he has some great receivers in Laundry and Parker. He just needs more time then .1 second to make a godamn play.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: December 28, 2015 08:59AM

Tannehill is here for at least one more year. The FO is also infatuated with Logan Thomas, our 3rd QB. He likely takes Matt Moore's roster spot in 2016. I have very little hope for him to develop into anything at all. The guy never even reached the 60% completion rate in college or threw for more than 19 TD's.

The bigger issue is the management of this team...of which there is little hope.

I just read that Tannenbaum is likely to get his own GM in place very soon. That is the only hope for Tannenbaum. To win despite him by talent acquisition. Hickey is not the guy for the job, IMO. He has brought even more mediocrity onto the roster, which I didn't think was even possible.

The bad news: He may try to hire Howie Roseman from Philly since he was demoted in favor of Chip Kelly.

In order to get any top GM, Tannenbaum will have to hand over COMPLETE control. That means FULL control over the roster IN WRITING (unlike Hickey's "full control"winking smiley as well as letting him hire the next head coach. I don't see that happening so we are likely hiring a figure head GM.

We've seen what this FO does with FA acquisition and it's likely to get worse in 2016 as well as more closely resemble what the Jets did a few years back.....

Hiring or trading for washed up vets and overpriced big name free agent names of the moment.....

Tannenbaum's history as GM: (they weren't all bad individually BUT overall was a nightmare)

2006 (10-6 record): Hired Eric Mangini as HC. released Kevin Mawae, franchised John Abraham and then traded him to Atlanta for 29th pick (Nick Mangold). Traded for Patrick Ramsey and Kevan Barlow. Only players of note drafted were Mangold and D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

2007: (4-12 record): Signed Marques Tuiasosopo, Andre Wadsworth and Michael Haynes, Curtis Martin retired. Traded for Thomas Jones and traded away Pete Kendall.

Traded away most of their draft picks and were left with a 1, 2, 6 & 7. Drafted Darrell Revis and David Harris.

2008: (9-7 record): Signed Alan Faneca, Calvin Pace and Damien Woody to large contracts. Signed Ty law, Bubba Franks and Jesse Chatman. Traded 3rd round round pick for Brett Favre. Traded 3rd and 5th round picks for injury prone, Kris Jenkins. Traded away Jonathan Vilma for 4th round pick.

Drafted Vernon Gholston and Dustin Keller in first round.

2009: (9-7 record): Fired Mangini, hired Rex. Let Favre leave after one year. Signed Bart Scott, Jim Leonard. Traded 4th for Lito Sheppard. Traded away Braylon Edwards to the Jets for Wide Receiver Chansi Stuckey, Linebacker Jason Trusnik, and 2 draft picks.Jets were left with only 3 picks in the draft...1,3 & 6. Drafted Mark Sanchez, Shonn Greene and Matt Slauson.

2010: (11-5 record): Signed Jason Taylor, Ladanian Tomlinson, Mark Brunell, Laverneous Coles, Patrick Turner. Released Alan Faneca after 2 years and Thomas Jones after 3 years and Lito Sheppard after 1 year. Traded away a 2nd round pick for Antonio Cromartie and a 5th for Santonio Holmes.

Draft picks (1,2,4 & 5):

Kyle Wilson, Vladimir Ducasse, Joe McKnight, Jon Connor.

2011: (8-8 record): Hired Tom Moore as off. consultant. Fired Sal Alosi for tripping Nolan Carroll on punt return.

Signed: Derrick Mason, Plaxico Burress

Released: Damien Woody, Kris Jenkins, Jason Taylor, Vernon Gholston, Mark Brunell, Jerricho Cotchery

Drafted (traded away 2,5,6, & 7th picks): Muhammid Wilkerson, Kenrick Ellis, Bilal Powell, Jeremy Kerley, Greg McElroy

2012: (6-10 record): Traded a 4th and a 6th for Tim Tebow.

Drafted: Quinton Coples, Stephen Hill, Demario Davis and 5 more scrubs.

Fired Tannenbaum!

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: December 28, 2015 08:59AM

What will the excuse for tannehill be next year when we are out of the playoffs by midseason once again.

Date: December 28, 2015 09:04AM

"As far as o-lines go, at the beginning of the season, Dallas was supposed to have one of the best in football. It's interesting that Romo could make it work but, Weeden or Cassal couldn't."

That IS an interesting observation. Also, I think, a telling one and a further damning of Tannehill. I don't care for Romo, but he does things to get the best from his linemen, and the rest of the offense as well. Tannehill is more like Weeden or Cassell, he simply doesn't have what it takes to do it.

Rick

Date: December 28, 2015 09:20AM

Date: December 28, 2015 09:23AM

Date: December 28, 2015 09:45AM

Date: December 28, 2015 10:24AM

Winning teams gave up an average of 16 pts this week, ours gave up 18. Winning teams scored an average of 28 pts yesterday, ours scored 12.

The problem yesterday was NOT our defense.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 28, 2015 10:39AM

Treasure, I don't think anyone is saying draft a 1st quarterback. I think that would be silly to get the top quarterback in the draft and then pay both humongous salaries (given Tanny's new contract) but Cody Kessler from USC has fallen a great deal and probably could be had in the 3rd round.

Here's a guy who was a Heisman candidate, plays for a major college football team and plays in exactly the scheme that we are trying to force Tanny into.

This way, you can have your cake and eat it too.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: December 28, 2015 12:13PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> Treasure, I don't think anyone is saying draft a
> 1st quarterback. I think that would be silly to
> get the top quarterback in the draft and then pay
> both humongous salaries (given Tanny's new
> contract) but Cody Kessler from USC has fallen a
> great deal and probably could be had in the 3rd
> round.
>
> Here's a guy who was a Heisman candidate, plays
> for a major college football team and plays in
> exactly the scheme that we are trying to force
> Tanny into.
>
> This way, you can have your cake and eat it too.

Disagree, Chryen. There ARE posters here advocating drafting a QB with our first pick. In fact, unless I am mistaken, there is one on this thread saying such.

Date: December 28, 2015 03:07PM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> What will the excuse for tannehill be next year
> when we are out of the playoffs by midseason once
> again.

It will be the same excuses because they have fixed NOTHING since he was drafted and the defense is worse.

Date: December 28, 2015 04:23PM

Treasure, you just don't get it. I agree, the guys in the trenches are the second most important part of a professional team. These days, we have made the QB THE most important. This guy's offense does not get the job done, consistently. That puts pressure on the defense by having them on the field far too much, so that they get NO rest, and even if they make plays on early downs, they are too tired to sustain the pressure on the offense. This is demonstrated by our defense's ability to work well early in games. It seems to be happening earlier and earlier every week. Tannehill's offense fails to score or even to sustain drives, and the potential is created for defensive breakdowns. In the very few games this year that we did score early, we usually won the game. This lack of offense also puts unsustainable pressure on the special teams. They are usually made up of players from other units or players not ready for starting duties

Rick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2015 04:29PM by dolphan4545.

Date: December 28, 2015 04:36PM

"There ARE posters here advocating drafting a QB with our first pick. In fact, unless I am mistaken, there is one on this thread saying such."

I've read every post in this thread, and I haven't seen that. I personally think we should draft a QB every year somewhere in the draft. The Patsies do that, and look what they got in the sixth. Some teams do do that, and those guys have the luxury of sitting on the sidelines learning from the starter and backup. I think that this is an advantageous thing.

Rick

Date: December 28, 2015 05:13PM

Let me first say that I am not thrilled with Tannehill this year but I also know that nothing is ever black and white in the NFL.

"This guys" offense? If the QB is so bad, how did he manage to lead last years offense to 24.2 points per game to form the 12th ranked offense with 3rd tier receivers like Mike Wallace and Brian Hartline?

His personal stats are not much different than last year.

This year they dropped to the 27th ranked offense with only 19.3 ppg.

What has changed? It's still the same QB, after all.

2015 rushing = (27th ranked) 1400 yds so far, 20 att per game, 93 ypg
2014 rushing = (12th ranked) 1872 yards, 25 att per game, 117 ypg

LG: 15, Daryn Colledge - 14, Dallas Thomas
RG: 15, Mike Pouncey - 14, Billy Turner
T: JaWaun James played 7 games with Fox as a huge replacement downgrade.

WR: 4 out of 6 new WR's
TE: new #1 TE

So...5 out of 6 new receivers.

Did the rookie OC get better in year two and utilize his playmakers? NO

Did the play calling get better? NO, it was worse and everyone had a year of tape to figure out how to stop this poor excuse of an offense. Sort of like what happened to Philly and a similar system. Sort of like what happened to the defense at the end of last year.

Did the OC evolve or try to change it up? NO, that's why he was fired.

Was there any consistency on the offense? Hell no. LT injured again, new LG, Center injured, new RG, new RT. HC fired. OC Fired. 4th year, TE coach promoted to HC.

Did the free agents help on offense? Kenny Stills? Greg Jennings? Jordan Cameron? NO.

Has any team in the history of the league ever had a successful season after firing their HC in week 4? NO.

Has any team ever fired their HC in week 4? NO.

Has any team EVER fired their HC, OC and DC in one season? NO.

It's just pathetic that Ryan Tannehill couldn't save this team from itself!!! We need a QB who could do that!

I bet the great Drew Brees would have led this team to the playoffs....He led the #1 offense last year.

Matt Staford: 6-9
Phillip Rivers: 4-11
Drew Brees: 6-9
Andrew Luck: 2-5
Matt Ryan: 8-7
Eli Manning 6-9
Joe Flacco: 3-7

Those damn sucky quarterbacks! If only they could play more like the greats such as....

Ryan Fitzpatrick: 10-5
Alex Smith: 10-5
Carson Palmer: 13-2
Ryan Mallet, Brian Hoyer, TJ yates, Case keenum....who are headed for a division title.

Those are great QB's because it's all about the QB! Right? The rest of the team has little to do with their success. Forget coaching, management, talent, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2015 05:14PM by JoeFootball.

Date: December 28, 2015 08:01PM

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: December 29, 2015 10:22AM

Tannehill issues this year regardless of the pressure on him..

1) His pocket presence got worse this year

2) He holds onto the ball too long

3) He had accuracy issues in all sort of throws not just the deep ball. This was his greatest regression this year IMO, accuracy...
To me most of his issues lead back to his poor foot work this year...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: December 29, 2015 10:46AM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:

>
>
> And what does Tannehill do? Does he kick and
> scream? Point fingers? Go get drunk? Nope classy
> as ever:
>

>
>
>
> You people don't deserve him.

My mother doesn't kick scream or point fingers, I don't want her to be the Dolphins QB... Being Classy makes you a good QB???

We don't deserve him??? what are you talking about??

Date: December 29, 2015 10:53AM

South, I think his point was that Tannehill is cool and calm and that is a plus for a quarterback...and so was Bob Griese........but then again, Dan Marino was a screaming emotional maniac and the best Pro QB in history for my money and belief.

Date: December 29, 2015 11:00AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> South, I think his point was that Tannehill is
> cool and calm and that is a plus for a
> quarterback...and so was Bob Griese........but
> then again, Dan Marino was a screaming emotional
> maniac and the best Pro QB in history for my money
> and belief.

I will take the maniac Marino any day... I deserve him...

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: December 29, 2015 11:57AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> South, I think his point was that Tannehill is
> cool and calm and that is a plus for a
> quarterback...and so was Bob Griese........but
> then again, Dan Marino was a screaming emotional
> maniac and the best Pro QB in history for my money
> and belief.

Who also was deadly accurate with the quickest release in football.

He wasn't a maniac, but he did let his guys know when they did something wrong.

Date: December 29, 2015 12:07PM

Of course, I'm exaggerating Cap but the point is that he let everyone know when he was upset with things not getting done.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.