HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Afterthoughts: Phins/Giants on MNF
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Afterthoughts: Phins/Giants on MNF
Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: December 15, 2015 04:21PM

I've been reading a lot of post-game posts from disgruntled people here which inspired me to start this thread....

First off, it was refreshing to see the old uniforms. Second - Yes, it was a loss, but wasn't an embarrassment.

Keep all this in mind....

As to coaching - Coming into this game the Giants had the same W-L record for the season, and that was with a head coach that starting his football coaching career in 1970.

Yes, that's right. Dan Campbell was born 6 years after Tom Coughlin began being affiliated with coaching the sport of football. Tom has 2 Superbowl wins as a head coach plus one Superbowl win as an assistant.

Quarterbacking - Coming into this game the 5-7 Giants were led by a 2 time Superbowl MVP QB, so we really should stop calling for Tannehill's head who's still learning the game IMO.

Yes...We are now officially eliminated from the playoffs mathematically, but we need to get over it. Think about how much you hate the Pats and how nice it would be to see Miami beat them. This team of ours has been riddled with injury this year and also the Head Coach and both DC & OC got fired. Basically this whole Dolphins team of coaches and players is a rag-tag conglomeration of whatever was left.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Afterthoughts: Phins/Giants on MNF
Posted by: Phins5.0 ()
Date: December 15, 2015 04:35PM

The problem is that while Gruden mentioned during the game that Ross would be "a fool to let any of these young coaches get away", specifically naming Campbell, Taylor and Whathisname, the post game commentary from the MNF crew was horrific.

Steve Young and Ray Lewis were actually laughing, laughing, at the defense that Whatshisname puts out on the field. Young said it reminded him of the Senior Bowl or All Star Games where everybody is just getting know each other, trying to figure out where to line up and playing the most basic of schemes.

Lewis said Eli knew every time what coverage we were playing and there's no question that's the reason why he completed almost 90% of his pass attempts.

So let's not put Campbell into the same category as a Hall of Fame coach. Especially not since that Hall of Fame coach won the game, and won the game with a roster far more depleted and less talented than our own.

What we saw last night was the difference between Eli Manning and Ryan Tannehill and Odell Beckham Jr and Jarvis Landry. It's pretty much that simple.

Having said all that, I'm not upset with the penalties, either. Not even the stupid ones. I'd rather lose with fight than without and when Philbin was here there was no fight in this team at all.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: December 15, 2015 06:16PM

Saw RT missing open receivers deep again where Eli hit them

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: December 16, 2015 12:07AM

Our staff is riddled with small college resumes types that have no business coaching in the NFL let alone running the O and D.

An experienced staff will do wonders for this roster.

We should end up picking in the top 10. Our one remaining winnable game is this week and it's a west coast roadie on a short week so....

Get an experience staff in here and get to work on the draft.

Date: December 16, 2015 02:33AM

Good comments guys.

Date: December 16, 2015 03:15AM

Only thought I really have is ,Dion Sims sucks. The Throwbacks were incredible, and even though I grew up watching football on a 13 inch TV, I really missed not watching MNF on a giant HD screen.drinking smiley

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: December 16, 2015 04:24AM

Posted by: dgfred ()
Date: December 16, 2015 05:37AM

Right on the mark Joe +

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 16, 2015 11:14AM

Date: December 16, 2015 11:33AM

What is your point? Who wanted Philbin in the first place?

Date: December 16, 2015 03:55PM

The point being he is resentful of Campbell and defending Philbin for so long and seeing Philbin get fired. Not real hard to figure out.

Date: December 16, 2015 06:02PM

So here's a question I have for anyone to answer....

So since the Giants came into this game with the same W-L record as the Dolphins with a HC that's had coaching experience since 1970, what makes anyone think that the Dolphins can or could do better with a HC that has more experience than Dan Campbell?

Let me say it this way -

If the Miami Dolphins had Tom Coughlin & Eli Manning, fans here would be calling for their heads since they had the same 5-7 W-L record that Miami had coming into this game.

What I'm trying to say is that even if our Dolphins had a HC and Franchise QB with multiple SB wins, in all reality this team could still be sucking with the same W-L record that we have.

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: December 17, 2015 01:42PM

Apples and oranges.
Most Giants fans witnessed first hand their team win two (2) Superbowls whereas, most Dolphins fans only remember hearing their fathers talk about seeing a Superbowl win usually on black and white TV, except of course, for the old farts on this forum.
Big difference being a Giants fan from being a Dolphins fan.

The Clown Show Continues

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2015 01:49PM by Hooligan2.

Date: December 17, 2015 01:50PM

Date: December 18, 2015 05:12AM

Yeah... I resemble that remark.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: December 18, 2015 05:15AM

Watching the Dolphins during the '70s was a blessing...they were that good.

What doesn't apply is the adage of many old guys living in the past. You know,"the older I get the faster I was" thing. Embellishing events of the past happens...however, with the Dolphins under Shula, those memories are vivid ones. The NFL captured those glory years on tape and those years were for real. What we've had since the Robbie ownership has been a slow erosion of the franchise capped off with that 1-15 season. Efforts to return to those glory days well...you know the story whether you're and old guy or under 40 fan.

At this moment, I don't honestly see a turn of events. Mr. Ross and Tannenbaum have doused the light at the end of the tunnel. There was a faint glow (on paper, at least) that this season would be the turn around season...again, it isn't.

Watching Manning and Beckham illustrates what a first rate QB and WR can do.

Can we beat the Chargers? There's a really good QB on that team too. Will our defense be schooled again?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2015 05:17AM by colonel.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: December 18, 2015 05:18AM

quote: Can we beat the Chargers? There's a really good QB on that team too. Will our defense be schooled again?

I hope we cant.

Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: December 18, 2015 05:42AM

It's really not hard to understand why this team has stunk for so long. Think about the last player that was drafted by Miami that is/was a perennial pro bowl quality player. Literally, you'd have to go back to Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor days. There have been some decent players drafted since then, to name a few: Yeremiah Bell, Chris Chambers, Vontae Davis, Ronnie Brown etc. But honestly, how many drafted players in the past 15 years are even good enough for the ring of honor in the stadium? It's so simple. Draft well and you win. Draft badly and you suck. we've been drafting so badly for so long, it isn't any wonder why we are where we are. Since Jimmy Johnson, draft has been run by people like Wannstedt, Spielman, Saban, Cam Cameron, Randy Mueller, and Jeff Ireland. Does Ross really wonder why no playoffs? Now, he sticks us with Tannenbaum? Coaching won't matter until we have a good evaluater of football players. Period.

Date: December 18, 2015 06:23AM

Tanembaum is going to destroy the phins just like he destroyed the jets.

Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: December 18, 2015 08:12AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tanembaum is going to destroy the phins just like
> he destroyed the jets.

I totally agree Sam. His only "qualification" for the job is that Ross and he are friends. If I assume that Ross isn't a total moron (which admittedly I'm not prepared to do) then I have to conclude that he doesn't care about winning. If you cared about winning, you be trying to hire the best GM available.

Date: December 18, 2015 08:39AM

Date: December 18, 2015 08:40AM

I think they even made a thread about it.

Date: December 18, 2015 10:15AM

dgfred Wrote:
> Yeah... I resemble that remark.

My favorite "Curly" line.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: December 18, 2015 05:22PM

colonel Wrote:
> Watching the Dolphins during the '70s was a
> blessing...they were that good.
>
> What doesn't apply is the adage of many old guys
> living in the past. You know,"the older I get the
> faster I was" thing. Embellishing events of the
> past happens...however, with the Dolphins under
> Shula, those memories are vivid ones. The NFL
> captured those glory years on tape and those years
> were for real. What we've had since the Robbie
> ownership has been a slow erosion of the franchise
> capped off with that 1-15 season. Efforts to
> return to those glory days well...you know the
> story whether you're and old guy or under 40 fan.
>
>

This old fart agrees!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.