HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Egnew
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Egnew
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: January 09, 2013 06:54AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Egnew
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: January 09, 2013 06:56AM

Another pick wasted. We are used to it already.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: January 09, 2013 07:02AM

Nice.

So none of the TE's we have are likely to be back.

Looks like we are in the same boat as we are with WR...sign one and draft one (at least).

Date: January 09, 2013 07:04AM

Yup it looks like fasano is not coming back.

Date: January 09, 2013 07:05AM

It is just totally unacceptable that our 2d and 3d and 4th round picks are so horrible that many cannot even last to their second season. White, Turner, and now probably Egnew. I think that scrub OG Murphy was also a 3d round pick. This is really unprecedented. Even if a 2d or 3d is a "bust" he is usually good enough to stick for a few years playing special teams or something. D Thomas is no prize either (and we traded up for him). It is astounding that Ross keeps allowing Ireland to keep his job. The 2-4th rounds is where good NFL teams are built. And if Sean Smith leaves, we'll have pratically nothing to show for those picks the entire time Ireland was here.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: January 09, 2013 07:16AM

Obviously Egghead is looking like a total wasted 3rd round pick.

Like you guys are saying -- we've had way too many wiffs in the 2-3 round area -- the exact spot where you have to find some premium talent if you're ever going to get the roster ahead of the curve.

I remember hearing something about Egghead being (at least a partial) Philbin pick? If so -- he needs to stay out of the talent evaluation mix and concentrate on designing winning plays.

It's hard to believe "professional talent evaluators" would pick a kid like Egghead and never bother to find out (a) he cannot block and (b) really isn't a hard-nose footballer.

I mean seriously... WTF???

Date: January 09, 2013 07:18AM

we used to get players like surtain, JT zach even Players like Lorenzo bromell in the later rounds of the draft and now look what we get.

Its frustrating.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: January 09, 2013 07:21AM

Well one thing for SURE -- Ireland is NEVER going to have the eye for talent that JJ did in his prime...

Date: January 09, 2013 07:23AM

definately.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: January 09, 2013 07:35AM

BigNastyFish Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well one thing for SURE -- Ireland is NEVER going
> to have the eye for talent that JJ did in his
> prime...

JJ? You mean the guy who drafted John Avery, Karim Abdul Jabbar, J.J.Johnson, Cecil Collins, Larry Shannon, Rob Konrad, Deon Dyer, and Yatil Green? The same guy who passed on Randy Moss?

Face it, JJ NEVER drafted an impact offensive player for Miami. NOT ONE!! He definitely had an eye for defense, but he know little-to-nothing about offense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2013 07:36AM by montequi.

Date: January 09, 2013 07:37AM

Didnt karim abdull jabbar had over 20 TDs one season....He wasnt great but he wasnt terrible either...

Who drafted sammie smith?

Date: January 09, 2013 07:39AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> Didnt karim abdull jabbar had over 20 TDs one
> season....He wasnt great but he wasnt terrible
> either...
>
> Who drafted sammie smith?

Sammie Smith was 1000x a better runner than Jabbar. He just couldn't hang on to the ball. JJ insisted on continually feeding Jabbar the ball to pump up his stats. He wanted a 1000-yard rusher more than he wanted the team to win! Seriously. Jabbar averaged like 3 yards a carry for his career.

Date: January 09, 2013 07:45AM

Do you guys realize that before Clay that last 2 decent TEs we drafted were both taken by Wanny? (Donald Lee, Randy McMichael) Before that you have to go back to 1994 and Ferrell Edmunds (who had SO MUCH potential...but never quite reached it). Bruce Hardy was taken in 1978!!! That's a LONG time without drafting a good TE!!

Date: January 09, 2013 07:51AM

Montequi wrote: Sammie Smith was 1000x a better runner than Jabbar. He just couldn't hang on to the ball.

IMHO the worse trait that a rb has is the fumble problems.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: January 09, 2013 08:08AM

I remember hearing from somehwhere that Egnew was Philbins pick too. I liked the kid from LA-Laf Green. I'm hoping that Clay figures out the O. In 2011 he looked like he had a niche for finding open holes in the D. I have not given up on him yet since 2 TE's had problems figuring out this WC O.

We have always been snake bitten w/ TE's. I remember when it appeared that the light had clicked on for Andre Tillman in '78. Then the next pre season he tears up his knee. Guy would have been nice.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: January 09, 2013 08:09AM

montequi Wrote:
> Do you guys realize that before Clay that last 2
> decent TEs we drafted were both taken by Wanny?
> (Donald Lee, Randy McMichael) Before that you
> have to go back to 1994 and Ferrell Edmunds (who
> had SO MUCH potential...but never quite reached
> it). Bruce Hardy was taken in 1978!!! That's a
> LONG time without drafting a good TE!!

But Clay wasn't drafted for this offense. Not that there isn't a role for him here, but he was drafted for Sparano's offense as a FB/H-Back.

Its been too long since we drafted a good TE. I like this draft for TE's. We might need to draft two this year and bring in a FA.

Date: January 09, 2013 08:16AM

Im not mad at clay....He showed some flashes...

The phins just need better WRs to make everybody better....Thats the key, better WRS...........

Date: January 09, 2013 08:18AM

Yeah we were lucky to have drafted Hardy in 78 because he stepped up after Tillman went down.

I liked the kid from Penn St in the late 90's Dreyton? Helluva blocker, good receiver good motor, bad knees(the snake bite).

Date: January 09, 2013 08:22AM

Date: January 09, 2013 08:36AM

what about Joe Rose and Dan Johnson?

Date: January 09, 2013 08:46AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> what about Joe Rose and Dan Johnson?

Berk although dan might have made a lot of them better than what they were supposed to be...i think i will settle for anything at this point. Anything is better than what we have.

Date: January 09, 2013 08:54AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> what about Joe Rose and Dan Johnson?

What about them? They were adequate. Bruce Hardy was the only guy who could play at a Pro Bowl level.

Date: January 09, 2013 09:06AM

we had 3 TEs back then better than any one we have now

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 09, 2013 09:56AM

Just a technical correction, Montequi.

We didn't pass on Randy Moss, the morning of the draft we traded out our pick that could have been used to nab him.

I think the reasoning was that even despite all the draft days complaints that Moss was trouble and a head case that he STILL would not have been available when we picked at about 21 so we traded out of that position. But then he went at about 25 or something as I remember and had we not traded out, we could have picked him.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: January 09, 2013 09:56AM

THE Truth Wrote:
> Nice.
>
> So none of the TE's we have are likely to be
> back.
>
> Looks like we are in the same boat as we are with
> WR...sign one and draft one (at least).

I don't know why this board keeps putting the word out that Fasano won't be coming back. Why wouldn't he?

He's not going to be a hot commodity during the offseason; he's not going to be able to demand a lot of money; he knows the Miami offense and, at the least, would be a good #2.

I don't see him going anywhere.

Date: January 09, 2013 09:58AM

Sure, but JJ's response to all of that was that Larry Shannon was just as good. JJ just didn't have an eye for offense.

Date: January 09, 2013 10:05AM

I think JJ was just trying to make the best of a bad situation with the Larry Shannon comment. I think he said he'd sign Charlie Manson if he could help his team, so no way Moss scared JJ off. Just see the pick of Cecil Collins. I have no doubt in my mind that had we not traded down BEFORE the draft (always a horrible horrible move) we'd have snapped up Moss in a second. I agree with Chyren that JJ probably thought there was no way Moss would be there (I recall the draft very well and during the draft the announcers were all shocked when Moss made it out of the top 15 and even moreso when Kevin Dyson was taken ahead of him) and that's why JJ made the pre-draft deal, he thought he'd be long gone.

2 things that phins fans always mess up: (1) we did not "pass" on Moss in the true sense of the word and (2) we did not "trade" Wes Welker--we just tendered him too low and the pats put a poison pill in his deal forcing us to make the trade (getting us an extra 7th round pick over the 2d round tender, as the pats were afraid of incurring the league's wrath with the poisen pill inclusion). For some reason this bugs me and I always need to post a correction.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 09, 2013 10:06AM

I just remember salivating about getting Randy Moss and screaming on draft day morning when hearing about the trade.

I never heard that JJ thought Larry Shannon was just as good

And guess what?

A little remembered or little recognized footnote. Our pick was number 19 that year, we traded OUT and Moss was picked at number 21 (I went back and looked).

But the real irony is that we traded no. 19 to Green Bay.

Green Bay used the pick to pick...guess who....Vonnie Holiday, who we later signed as a free agent.

Date: January 09, 2013 10:14AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> Dolphin alltime tends.....We need to draft another
> mandich. rest in peace.I will even settle for the
> next keith jackson..........
>

Draft another Mandich you would have to draft a Marv Fleming to go w/ him. Great list looks like we just never had a prime TE. Hardy was the best but I don't think he was ever elected to the Pro Bowl.
Has a phin TE ever gone to the pro bowl?

Date: January 09, 2013 10:29AM

The fact remains that the draft is not an exact science. Some guys are ok at it....some are terrible. Everyone, even perennially great GMs, miss on guys. For me the jury is still out on Ireland. I don't think his drafts have been that bad. He hasn't made any notoriously bone-headed moves like passing on Drew Brees for Jamar Fletcher.

For me, my issue with Ireland has been how he cut some guys outright who could have contributed, like Donald Thomas and Jason Allen. I never saw the logic in just cutting those guys.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.