HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          The hype vs. the schedule
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
The hype vs. the schedule
Posted by: FootballGod ()
Date: October 22, 2015 05:12AM

We all got a semi watching the Phins put 38 on the board against the Titans. Coming off a horrible start before the bye that saw the head coach fired and a positions coach put at the wheel, the win gives fans hope that all that was wrong with this talented team was a lack of motivation and proper head coaching.

So I thought we should look at our remaining schedule and see how the rest of this year will play out barring injuries to key players on any team. For example if Brady went out with a bum ankle, it would change the entire dynamic of a prediction.

Week 7: Vs. Texans(Win)
Arian Foster is back and healthy. Miami has never beat Houston. This game is a slight favorite to Miami on paper but it's not going to be a blowout.

Week 8: @ Pats(Loss)
Simply being realistic, and going against my own hopes, Miami is not expected to win this game. Miami's only chance is to limit Brady and stay close for a chance at the end.

Week 9: @ Bills(Win)
Coming off an embarrassing loss at home in the first meeting, Miami will take advantage of a team that is now riddled with injuries. Look for a low scoring affair that has a lot of nasty aggressive play in the trenches.

Week 10: @ Eagles(Win)
Hopefully coming off a win in Buffalo, Miami stacks the odds on paper against an Eagles team that has under performed in a division full of mediocrity. Whoever turns the ball over loses in this game.

Week 11: Vs. Cowboys(Win)
Dez Bryant is back by now, with Cassell most likely at the helm. We outmatch them. A solid win at home in what could be a statement game for us.

Week 12: @ Jets(Loss)
After winning 3 straight, Miami travels to the Jets and I believe losses a tough game that comes down to a last minute FG.

Week 13: Vs. Ravens(Win)
In the first game of December, Coach Campbell rally's the team to bounce back in a blowout against a pitiful offense in the Ravens. The Ravens have shown no promise on offense, with Smith being the best performer at a ripe age of 35.

Week 14: Vs. Giants(Win)
Eli Manning can be rattled and forced to throw interceptions when Wake and company introduce him to the Miami turf. Manning throws at least two Ints in this Monday night game and Miami draws a lot of attention on a national stage with an interim coach at the helm.

Week 15: @ Chargers(Loss)
On paper this is a given, however the shorter week after an emotional win at home causes Miami to stumble against a dangerous qb in Rivers.

Week 16: Vs. Colts(Win)
Luck and company come into a situation against a team that may be fighting for their playoff spot and their coaches job future. Miami slaughters the Colts in a return to form after a road loss.

Week 17: Vs. Pats(Loss)
Miami closes the regular season with a loss against a team that leads the power rankings at this point.

7-4

This kind of result would put Miami at 9-7 for the year, and 7-4 under Campbell. It is my belief that if we squeak out this kind of year with this record, combined with players feelings about Campbell, Campbell will be signed to a 2-4 year deal by Ross.

The real stank part of this story is that even if Miami fights out a winning record, they can very likely miss out on the playoffs. Now if Miami ends up on the opposite side of that record, 7-9, Campbell's position becomes very unstable with a guy like Ross signing checks. Ross probably goes on a hunt for the big name at that point.

Regardless of how this season turns out, I'm glad that my team has a coach now that is exciting to watch. Philbin wasn't an inspiring coach(cue cards anyone?) and in a league where players are professionals and in peak condition, inspiration is a must. Getting that extra 1% out of a guy is what puts a team over the top. I think everyone can agree that this team on paper is good enough to be in the playoffs in a wildcard draw. The coaching and strategy are what will decide the Phins fate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2015 05:16AM by FootballGod.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The hype vs. the schedule
Posted by: dgoodhue ()
Date: October 22, 2015 05:51AM

I don't like to predict wins on a game by game basis. I think they will need to go 7-3 the rest of the way to make the playoffs. They also some how need to make up ground in the division since they are already 0-2. They can't be swept by Pats/Jets and expect to make the playoffs. I still think they could beat NE even on the road if they have a good game; NE offensive line is a mess, right now they have 3 rookies, one backup tackle and the right tackle is playing out of position at left tackle.

They have to beat Houston first and show last week wasn't a one time event.

Date: October 22, 2015 06:03AM

dgoodhue Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't like to predict wins on a game by game
> basis. I think they will need to go 7-3 the rest
> of the way to make the playoffs. They also some
> how need to make up ground in the division since
> they are already 0-2. They can't be swept by
> Pats/Jets and expect to make the playoffs. I still
> think they could beat NE even on the road if they
> have a good game; NE offensive line is a mess,
> right now they have 3 rookies, one backup tackle
> and the right tackle is playing out of position at
> left tackle.
>
> They have to beat Houston first and show last week
> wasn't a one time event.

Personally I don't see them floundering against Houston like that. Miami has way too much talent on both sides of the ball to think last weeks win was just a lucky good day for a bad team. I firmly believe that we had a serious problem at the head coaching position. Rumors that Philbin had lost this team looked true. Constant rumors that the systems he was trying to run were overly complicated added to my belief that players didn't feel like Philbin could lead them to success. When a team, regardless of how much talent they have on the roster, doesn't believe in their leader or the strategy they are using to win, that team is going to under perform and look uninspired on Sunday's. Which is exactly how it seemed.

Campbell may not have a decade of experience as an assistant head coach, but he's brought the team in line and focused on how it takes one on one victories across the field to culminate into a win. This has reaffirmed the players belief in themselves and the guy in the locker next to him. Ross and Tannebaum may not have many good decisions to point to so far, but putting Campbell in this position as HC may be the thing that saves this season and puts us back into the playoffs as a wildcard.

I went out and bought a nice bottle of champagne after the Tennessee win and I'm going to pop the cork when Miami finishes with a winning record.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: October 22, 2015 06:16AM

But of course we will go 9-7 this year miss playoffs and pick where we ussually pick...In the 20th range...

I rather be in games and fight but lose more games and pick higher in the draft.

One day we are going to get it right.

Date: October 22, 2015 07:43AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> But of course we will go 9-7 this year miss
> playoffs and pick where we ussually pick...In the
> 20th range...
>
> I rather be in games and fight but lose more games
> and pick higher in the draft.
>
> One day we are going to get it right.

I understand the sentiment of not wanting to be a middle of the pack team because of the draft consequences. However, as a competitive fan, there is never a point in a season where I find myself wanting the team to not win because it endangers the likelihood of getting a blue chipper in the following years draft. Even when mathematically eliminated from playoff contention, I can't make myself accept a loss.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: October 22, 2015 10:02AM

Interesting evaluation of the remaining games, however, not that I disagree with the evaluation, it's just difficult for me to speculate based on one game's results against another struggling team.

As for the upcoming game with the Texans, despite having lost to them in the past, there is a strong possibility that the Dolphins enjoy another energetic game to establish the change in coaching approach brought on my Dan Campbell. I would imagine that everyone associated with the Dolphins wants the news media and sportswriters to believe things have turned around and the team is for real. The team wants and desires credibility now. That happens by winning and playing in a dominant manner.

The Patriots are still the team to beat in the division and NFL. Playing them this year is like Rocky Balboa taking on the Champ, Apollo Creed in ROCKY. Metaphorically, if we can give them black eyes, a bloody noise and a fat lip--that's a sign of real progress for this team. It lets the Patriots know that we're no longer easy pickings. Beat them once, "ah that's a fluke" sportswriters will say, beat them twice and the Fins will be the talk around the NFL.

Let's hope for the best and lets start this coming Sunday with a pounding of the Texans. thumbs up

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: October 22, 2015 06:13PM

In other recent years, I would worry about us looking AHEAD to Thursday against the Patsies but I don't think Campbell will let that happen.

Date: October 23, 2015 04:25AM

Date: October 23, 2015 04:27AM

FootballGod Wrote:
> samsam3738 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > But of course we will go 9-7 this year miss
> > playoffs and pick where we ussually pick...In
> the
> > 20th range...
> >
> > I rather be in games and fight but lose more
> games
> > and pick higher in the draft.
> >
> > One day we are going to get it right.
>
>
> I understand the sentiment of not wanting to be a
> middle of the pack team because of the draft
> consequences. However, as a competitive fan, there
> is never a point in a season where I find myself
> wanting the team to not win because it endangers
> the likelihood of getting a blue chipper in the
> following years draft. Even when mathematically
> eliminated from playoff contention, I can't make
> myself accept a loss.

I hear you FG,I cant accept taking a loss either......but the way the season started it seemed we were going to win just 1 game.

There is more hope now. For now.

Date: October 23, 2015 06:27AM

Ok so let's go hypothetical just for fun. Miami beats NE twice, the jets and bills once but loss other games to go 7-9 for the season, missing the playoffs by 2-3 games. Does Campbell come back next year as HC, or does Ross go get a guy like Cowher or Gruden?

Date: October 23, 2015 07:03AM

Quote: Does Campbell come back next year as HC, or does Ross go get a guy like Cowher or Gruden?

Thats not even a question in my mind. You go get the established coach.

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: October 23, 2015 08:45AM

Sweeping NE certainly hits the pizzaz button but, missing the playoffs by 2 or 3 games means that Campbell did not match the hype. If a proven commodity like Gruden or Cowher is available AND willing
you have to go after him but, not necessarily an unknown who could turn out to be another Cameron or Philbin.

The Clown Show Continues

-

Posted by: JC ()
Date: October 23, 2015 02:38PM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> Quote: Does Campbell come back next year as HC, or
> does Ross go get a guy like Cowher or Gruden?
>
>
> Thats not even a question in my mind. You go get
> the established coach.

You get an established coach that is currently being paid millions to NOT deal with the stresses and scheduling demands of coaching? Sure, why not.

Posted by: Phins5.0 ()
Date: October 24, 2015 05:49AM

There's a couple of things at play here, are we talking about what we need to make the playoffs, or are we talking about giving the job to Campbell?

As far as the playoffs go, the loss to the Jags hurts us, and we really need to get wins against the Texans, Colts, Chargers and Ravens. I'd gladly swap the win against the Redskins for a win against the Jags, if I could. I'm also not interested in the Cowboys, Eagles, or Giants games. Get wins against our conference opponents and take care of business best we can in the division, and we'll be good.

As far as Campbell getting the job going forward, then it's more about total wins and the specifics don't matter so much.

If we beat all the remaining conference opponents and split our division schedule, we'll be 9-7 factoring in all loses to the NFC East opponents. That might get us into the playoffs. But if we don't split our AFC East opponents, or if we swap those conference wins for NFC East wins, 9-7 won't get us in.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: October 24, 2015 12:16PM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> Quote: Does Campbell come back next year as HC, or
> does Ross go get a guy like Cowher or Gruden?
>
>
> Thats not even a question in my mind. You go get
> the established coach.

Neither of those guys are established coaches. They're both TV commentators now. As for any decent existing HC, how do you think they go there? Were they born head coaches? NO! They got a chance to prove themselves, and they were successful enough to keep their job. Campbell could do the same.

Now, if guy was a HC but failed at it...I don't want him!! Remember Wanny!?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2015 12:17PM by montequi.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: October 24, 2015 08:09PM

In all fairness, Campbell should only be evaluated for the 12 games that he's coaching as the interim HC. The 1-3 record that he inherited isn't easy to overcome to be a wild card contender, so that shouldn't even be an expectation for him in my opinion. 1-3 out of the gate makes it difficult to even have a winning season. In reality, winning the division or making the playoffs at this point is a pipe dream and will take a miracle.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.