HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Never in a million years
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Never in a million years
Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: September 27, 2015 03:10PM

I never in a million years believed that this team would be this bad. I'm a realist and never really believed we were a Super Bowl contender. But this kind of ineptitude? The coaches and the players have perpetrated a fraud on the fans and owe them an apology not to mention a refund of the ticket price spent on today's "game." Incompetent coaching display and a thoroughly gutless performance by the players. Dolphins have gone from perfect season to the perfectly awful season.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Never in a million years
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: September 27, 2015 04:10PM

why would you be surprised ? this is just a continuation of what we've been doing the past 20+ years

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: September 27, 2015 04:17PM

You know that ole saying that "Never have so few done so much with so little"?

It's the opposite with us, at least on paper. We spent every since the draft of 2008 with Jake Long working on our offensive line. We went out and got Wallace. Then we got Suh.

Today we see Odrick and Clay kill us.

Hey, I've got a bright idea. Since we are such great REVERSE barometers, let's just let the coaches put out their game plan AND THEN DO THE OPPOSITE!!!!

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: September 27, 2015 05:34PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Today we see Odrick and Clay kill us.
>
And Carpenter (while our kicker misses an extra point)!

Posted by: KB ()
Date: September 28, 2015 05:17AM

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: September 28, 2015 06:01AM

....It seems there is a conspiracy against philbin...

And the players are playing like crap on purpose.

Same mistakes over and over

Date: September 28, 2015 09:50AM

I honestly wonder if this team could've beaten the 1-15 dolphin team. I can't think of one part of this team, offense, defense, special teams that is acceptable NFL quality. Does anyone really believe that they'll win in NY? Looking at the schedule, I don't see one easy win. Tennessee put 33 points on the Colts and barely lost. 1-15 is much more likely than playoffs. The coaches and players should be thoroughly embarrassed for perpetrating this crap on the fans. To be a dolphins fan is to intimately understand the term long-suffering, but this is ridiculous and unacceptable.

Posted by: thegreathoo ()
Date: September 29, 2015 12:42AM

I'm surprised, mainly because this team is akin to the 2007 team, the 1-15 team with John Beck and Lemon, and Gado, and a million injuries.

This 2015 team may go 1-15, or 2-14.

They failed at player and roster evaluations. They failed miserably from top down.
The camp was weak, two years of crappy drafts and player acquisitions. Our depth was smoked by Chicago in preseason, and Chicago is vying for #1 overall draft pick.

They evaluated that our defensive-tackle play was poor at the end of last year but it turned out that the Edges are poor. They spent money on Suh, got rid of Starks and ODrick who were significantly cheaper, but kept the edges.

Last year was the same thing, poor edges. Finnegan got hurt in Detroit game and Delmas a few games later and the defense was torched by teams running over our weak edges and torching the secondary. Nothing was done in the offseason to fix that problem. Poor evaluation. This year is the same, poor edges who can't rush or protect against rush, and poor right side of secondary, and were are getting torched again, and of course there are no answers at this time.

This is a problem from Tennenbaum, to Hickey, to Philbin, to Coyle, a collective failure.

On offense they failed to fix the Oline. They stuck with the youngsters as if they had a 4 year rebuild contract. They relied on and miscalculated Albert's recovery.

They stuck with Miller even though last year we had trouble gaining tough yards after the second week when Moreno went down. They thought drafting Ajayi would fix it. That was a failure on HIckey's part.

They did not want to resign Clay when they could've had both Clay and Cameron, considering they had to part with the #1 weapon Wallace. They evaluated Stills and Jennings as adequate replacements but neither is even close to Wallace.

And last but not least, the QB failed.

Lots of personnel decisions went wrong over the last two years, evaluations were poor, which leads to the conclusion that no one in that building knows what they are doing when it comes to roster and football in the NFL and care taking of a franchise.

Posted by: KB ()
Date: September 29, 2015 05:27AM

thegreathoo Wrote:
> I'm surprised, mainly because this team is akin to
> the 2007 team, the 1-15 team with John Beck and
> Lemon, and Gado, and a million injuries.
>
> This 2015 team may go 1-15, or 2-14.
>
> They failed at player and roster evaluations. They
> failed miserably from top down.
> The camp was weak, two years of crappy drafts and
> player acquisitions. Our depth was smoked by
> Chicago in preseason, and Chicago is vying for #1
> overall draft pick.
>
> They evaluated that our defensive-tackle play was
> poor at the end of last year but it turned out
> that the Edges are poor. They spent money on Suh,
> got rid of Starks and ODrick who were
> significantly cheaper, but kept the edges.
>
> Last year was the same thing, poor edges. Finnegan
> got hurt in Detroit game and Delmas a few games
> later and the defense was torched by teams running
> over our weak edges and torching the secondary.
> Nothing was done in the offseason to fix that
> problem. Poor evaluation. This year is the same,
> poor edges who can't rush or protect against rush,
> and poor right side of secondary, and were are
> getting torched again, and of course there are no
> answers at this time.
>
> This is a problem from Tennenbaum, to Hickey, to
> Philbin, to Coyle, a collective failure.
>
> On offense they failed to fix the Oline. They
> stuck with the youngsters as if they had a 4 year
> rebuild contract. They relied on and
> miscalculated Albert's recovery.
>
> They stuck with Miller even though last year we
> had trouble gaining tough yards after the second
> week when Moreno went down. They thought drafting
> Ajayi would fix it. That was a failure on
> HIckey's part.
>
> They did not want to resign Clay when they
> could've had both Clay and Cameron, considering
> they had to part with the #1 weapon Wallace. They
> evaluated Stills and Jennings as adequate
> replacements but neither is even close to
> Wallace.
>
> And last but not least, the QB failed.
>
>
> Lots of personnel decisions went wrong over the
> last two years, evaluations were poor, which leads
> to the conclusion that no one in that building
> knows what they are doing when it comes to roster
> and football in the NFL and care taking of a
> franchise.

+1 on the talent evaluation. But its gone on for far longer than just the last few years. Back to the 1990's our drafts have sucked(Billy Milner, Yatil Green, JJ Johnson???) and we've let go players that have made impact elsewhere(Troy Vincent, Wes Welker anyone?). We have POURED money and draft picks into O-Line for a decade now (Jake Long, Pouncey, Brandon Albert just to name a few) and STILL can't field a decent one to open holes for our slug running backs or protect the average QB's we sell ourselves on while failing to draft or pursue ones that COULD have made a difference (Ryan, Brees, etc). Whats worse, we take players and coach them AGAINST their natural instincts and talents (trying to make Reggie Bush a power back, not scheming for Tannehills mobility) Hate to say it but the only decent talent evaluator we have had in 20 years is Jimmy Johnson, and that was ONLY on the defensive side of the ball.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: September 29, 2015 12:16PM

I don't think our coaches and GM's have totally failed on the evaluation of talent. I think there are areas where they failed and areas where they have been right on the money.

IMHO, the decision on Albert was down to the Doctors and whether or not they thought he could recover. The #1 biggest failure has be the O-Line and our 15 year + inability to fix it.

We've had what, 7 head coaches, 3 GM's, at least 7 OC's / O-Line coaches and a minnimum of 6 systems, during the time since Shula...and only once have we put a group on the field at O-Line that was good. And even that took a motivated Ricky Williams to get it to work.

So where does that leave us? Right where we are.

1. With an offense that dosent work because we don't have any balance. Our group can't block for either RT or for Miller and Co...and no one has been able to cure it for a decade plus.

2. Two starting WR's that don't seem to get open in Stills and Jennings.

3. A defense that is just a COMPLETE mess.

4. Coaches that don't seem so far, to be able to pull what we do have together.

5. And with players (except for Landry, RT, Cameron, Matthews, Grimes, and maybe one or two others) that seem to sleepwalk during games...and I do not blame the coaches totally for this one, because players have to be able to motivate themselves.

No matter what we do, the owner we have, the leadership we bring in, the system we run, or players we aquire...we get the same results...frustrating to be sure.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: September 29, 2015 01:27PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> why would you be surprised ? this is just a
> continuation of what we've been doing the past 20+
> years

Well, berk, that's what I have been saying on this board and I have been questioned as to my loyalty, especially with this being the best team we have had in many years. Sigh!

As I said in an earlier post...I feel bad for the folks who spend money on this team.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: September 30, 2015 02:41AM

Hudson Houck's O-Lines were quite good, considering the lack of talent we had at the time.

Date: September 30, 2015 10:41PM

Date: October 01, 2015 08:10AM

I wanted Philbin to be a good coach. I fought the urge to want him fired after last year's collapse. What irked me the most was his stubborn refusal to replace Coyle. What has Coyle done in 4 years to suggest that he'd turn it around this year? The defense has regressed each year. The decision to keep Coyle, as much as anything else, will get Philbin fired. Loyalty to a fault is not a virtue in competitive sports.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.