HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          7 Million for Clay...for what...
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
7 Million for Clay...for what...
Posted by: ncfishfan ()
Date: March 02, 2015 11:59AM

now you wonder why we have no depth year after year...Dion Simms is just as good...he improved greatly and had great games as Clay was injured...and he is a way better blocker

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 7 Million for Clay...for what...
Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: March 02, 2015 12:21PM

So by letting Clay go we have better depth?

Sims is nowhere as good as Clay. Don't let one injury riddled season fool you.

Not sure when these "great" games happened for Sims. 4/58/0 was his best game. Clay's, on a bum knee, was 6/114.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: March 02, 2015 12:24PM

Plus this will get done longer term and that number should drop a bit.

Date: March 02, 2015 12:31PM

It was a smart move. Clay was ready for a breakout season if not for the knee injury. I have little doubt he will be in the PB very soon. well respected player all over the league.

Posted by: thegreathoo ()
Date: March 02, 2015 01:02PM

My problem with this is that it's $7m, when they asked Wallace to take a paycut at $9.9m.

You look at the DB siuation: Delmas FA ACL, Davis two year draft pick with ACL tear, Taylor two year draft pick with 2 years of injuries shoulder being the latest, Finnegan cut, Aiken starting at FS, no depth behind Reshad and Grimes.

You look at the LB: Misi and Jenkins are the only LB available to play full time, presuming Ellerbe and Wheeler are cut. Tripp is not developed. Jordan and McCain are situational LBs.

If you look at the draft, you can get a starter, 2 if you are lucky, if you sepnd top picks on LBs. You cannot get a starter in the draft at DB. You can get a starter in the at TE position, or starter material immediate backup to Sims: Walford, Oleary, maybe another.

McCourty, Skrines, are available in the FA, and they used that $7 mil on TE which can be addressed in draft, instead of the position where the roster is decimated and there are no answers in the draft.

Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: March 02, 2015 01:45PM

Yep, well they needed Clay..as the guys above say. TE is thin right now in the FA market, and there is nobody comparable in the draft. It's not that bad a price to pay for a guy who is Tanny's primary outlet receiver on a lot of plays.

Date: March 02, 2015 02:00PM

Except Wallace has already made 30 mil over two years. That's 15 mil a year. He counts 12 mil against the cap this year and gets a 3 mil roster bonus/guarantee next week unless they re-work the deal.

The Dolphins have just perpetuated the overpaying of WR's. Pit gave Brown, wallace's contract when he declined and he led the league in yards for 8 mil a year.

It was reported on Path to the draft that Wallace is open to a pay cut.

You can get a starter at MLB'er and TE but you can't at DB? I don't see that at all. Lb looks thin at the top as does TE. I don't see any worthy of the first round, let alone 14.

I don't see any rookie TE able to replace Clay in year 1. Nothing close to a sure thing. I don't see much that offer more than Dion Sims. they are going to need work just like Sims and Clay did.

Perryman looks like a two down thumper. Kendricks looks like a light Tampa 2 MLB. Anthony may be a decent pick in round 2 if available but none are without questions.

We definitely need DB help but we cannot just ignore Davis and Taylor. We also have Thomas who can play the nickle and possibly FS. It's not a great situation but good enough to maybe go for a less expensive option in FA or a lower pick in the draft.

I don't see McCourty leaving NE. Skrines...meh. Not impressed. too inconsistent.

If this team does not get some help from the young guys we have no chance any way.

We're probably going to extend Clay and will have 25 mil to spend. Locking up one of best playmakers makes sense to me. why develop the guy so he can make plays somewhere else?

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: March 02, 2015 02:02PM

Clay is worth it. Plays TE and FB. He's proved he can be a game breaker. Guys like that don't come along every day.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 02, 2015 03:25PM

I don't see any reason why wallace would take a pay cut. He's guaranteed 3mm and will get 4-5mm on the open market plus the opportunity to pick his team. He's clearly not thrilled here so why would he agree to take less money to stay?

As for clay, seems like a desparation move with wallace in flux and hartline and gibson cut. They couldnt' afford to lose clay and now set his salary floor at 7mm which is way to high when you look at his numbers compared to the similarly paid TEs. Hope we get a longer term deal with him at cap friendly numbers

Date: March 02, 2015 03:36PM

I don't know. why did he say he was open to it if he wasn't? He's only guaranteed 3 mil IF he is here March 14. If cut he then has to settle for whatever he can get on the FA market...which could be a lot less for a receiver with 3 straight years under 1k yards.

The floor is not 7 mil. He will take less per year to get the signing bonus and guaranteed money. Everyone complains about paying Clay but happens when an AFC East team (NE) offers him a long term deal and we don't match and he tears us up like Welker for the next 5 years. Ne could go back to that 2 TE set and not worry about their receivers.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: March 02, 2015 03:45PM

Im Ok w/ the way they are handling Clay. As for Wallace I would not take the paycut. I never read where he said he would. All im reading about him from the S Fl press is 'sources say' which to me is BS.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: March 02, 2015 03:52PM

I am ok with the transition tag for Clay, really isn't that big of a price for a one year deal...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: March 03, 2015 01:18AM

wallace did his job. sure he had some drops but if his qb would have hit him when he got open deep he would have had 14+ tds.

he opens the field for the rest of the wr corp.

so tired of hearing our wrs didn't do this or do that. we just need this or that.

time for our qb to make the players around him better.

and for that very reason i don't talk long term contract with tannehill until he's a difference maker.

if we keep surrounding him with talent his ceiling right now is andy dalton.

this fan base is so batshit crazy for the next marino that they'll do anything they can to convince themselves that any qb that has a modicum of success is it.

Date: March 03, 2015 03:15AM

So people can criticize the QB but just not the WR's? Landry didn't seem to have much of a problem with Tannehill. He didn't even start the first 4 or 5 games and still came within 104 yards of Wallace. But then he only had half as many drops....oh and he never quit like a little diva.

And Tannehill didn't make Hartline better the two years at plus 1k yards? The breakout performances....??? Charles Clay in 2013???

The only criticism I have seen about Wallace is pertaining to...

A. Quitting on THE TEAM
B. not being worthy of a top salary

Why would that criticism offend you? I really don't understand the loyalty to a guy who quits on his teammates over a guy that says and does everything as a professional.

Look at the beginning of the season when Wallace whined....after a win. That tells me all I need to know about him. He's immature and weak minded. He thinks he is more important than the entire team. he doesn't care about winning. He cares about glory.

What's happening is he is buying in to all the deep ball propaganda about 4 or 5 passes out of 600. It's his excuse for underachieving over the last THREE years....even in Pittsburgh. I think Ireland stroked him too much.

Andy Dalton? This was a 4 year college starter so yes he started out better....but Tannehill's ceiling? RT already surpassed Dalton's best season QB rating of 88.8 and Dalton had one of the top 3 or 4 receivers in the league from the get go, a top 6 running game, a top 10 defense, an established coaching staff, front office AND a great offensive line. Tannehill has NONE of those things.

All Tannehill does is consistently get better. He continued that even at the end of the season when everything else was going wrong. No reason to doubt he won't continue.

And you dump the blame on RT even though Wallace and Hartline failed to reach milestones along the way to a 4.4 points per game improvement and a jump from the 27th ranked offense to the 11th?

That dog don't hunt.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: March 03, 2015 05:07AM

I didn't dump all of the blame on tannehill but he shares in it.

i'd still wait to offer him a big extension. if he takes that big leap this year exercise his 5th year option and work out an extension.

desperation leads to bad deals. this team is full of them.

Date: March 03, 2015 06:16AM

I don't view it as desperation. He has shown me enough (and most people around the league).

It's not a big deal. It will end up being a two year deal that pays around 15 mil per year but Miami will have the option for another 4 or 5 years if he continues to play well. If we pick up the 5th year option, he will get over 16 mil now that the salary cap has increased.

The odds of finding a better QB over those two years is astronomical. It's definitely not happening this year and you probably have one or two QB's to choose from next year as in most years. We will not be picking high enough to get one.

There are 32 teams in the league and only about 12 of those teams are set at QB. I don't see much chance of doing any better than those 20 teams that are still up in the air and either contemplating a new QB or actively (and desperately) looking for one.

Or we can pay 16.2 mil next year plus 2.2 mil this year for a total of 18.4 mil or 9.2 mil per year for two years and take our chances. If he does get better then we are probably on the hook for 18-20 mil a year for 5 or 6 years and more guaranteed money. Inflation and new contract precedence. Matt Stafford got 17.7 mil and was not as good as Tannehill this year.

There are lots of teams drafting after the Bucs (at 1) that are not real happy with the QB market right now and little chance of improving. Even right now there are no more than 12/32 QB's better than Tannehill.

Either way we are good. Pay now or pay more later.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.