HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Dolphins draft bust
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Dolphins draft bust
Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: February 12, 2015 02:19PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dolphins draft bust
Posted by: thegreathoo ()
Date: February 12, 2015 03:35PM

Nah. HE can play.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: February 13, 2015 04:44PM

he is a bust, with this coaching staff who is clueless so can't get him on the field. on the pats or seahawks he'd be getting 10 sacks a year.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: February 14, 2015 06:26AM

He's a bust. At least at this point in time.

Doesn't mean he'll always be a bust but he's clearly not been the impact player you expect to get at #3.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: February 14, 2015 01:18PM

If he's a bust its because of the coaches. Its impossible to make plays when the coaches don't play you and then don't know which position to let you play when you do get on the field.

He should have been playing LB full time from day one.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 14, 2015 01:21PM

Right, Ken. As I have long complained of.

Date: February 14, 2015 01:58PM

The coaches absolutely hold some blame in his downfall BUT he is not exactly without fault. Between injuries and the 6 game suspension what was he really going to do?

There's still hope if he moves to SLB full time.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: February 15, 2015 12:01PM

JoeFootball Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The coaches absolutely hold some blame in his
> downfall BUT he is not exactly without fault.
> Between injuries and the 6 game suspension what
> was he really going to do?
>
> There's still hope if he moves to SLB full time.

Agreed, Joe. Besides the problems you mentioned, he (evidently) didn't show enough when he did hit the field for the coaches to say "wow" and start him.

Posted by: cshashaty ()
Date: February 16, 2015 11:16AM

Let's stop calling Dion Jordan a bust. He is not a bust. Don Reese was a bust. Eric Kumerow was a bust. What Jordan needs is a full, clean, and healthy offseason in the strength and conditioning program, which he will get in 2015.

I also think he is a DE first and foremost but can be dropped into coverage to run with a physical TE like Gronkowski. Converting him into an OLB takes him away somewhat from what he does best, which is rush the passer and disrupt plays behind the LOS. Yes, I think he would be a good OLB but I also think he can become an exceptional DE.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2015 11:17AM by cshashaty.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: February 16, 2015 11:39AM

cshashaty Wrote:
> Let's stop calling Dion Jordan a bust. He is not a
> bust. Don Reese was a bust. Eric Kumerow was a
> bust. What Jordan needs is a full, clean, and
> healthy offseason in the strength and conditioning
> program, which he will get in 2015.
>
> I also think he is a DE first and foremost but can
> be dropped into coverage to run with a physical TE
> like Gronkowski. Converting him into an OLB takes
> him away somewhat from what he does best, which is
> rush the passer and disrupt plays behind the LOS.
> Yes, I think he would be a good OLB but I also
> think he can become an exceptional DE.

Jordan isn't a bust....YET!

However, he needs to get on the field and do something. Play him at OLB and he will (probably) do a good job...not great, but good. Wake won't be playing forever, so once Wake leaves, move Jordan to his more natural position, or...if Wake or Vernon get hurt, move him there.

A third overall pick must play. The coaches will be making a major mistake not playing him, both for themselves and him.

He moves on to another team and plays DE and tears it up, well...

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: February 16, 2015 12:39PM

Year 1, coaches said was basically a redshirted year after not being able to lift, recovering from shoulder surgery and no training camp.. Year 2 he was suspended twice, once for PED, and the other recreational drug abuse. Year 3 will determine whether or not this kid is a bust or not IMO... But he is way behind the 8 ball and has gotten very little experience in 2 years. I don't think the coaches are as much to blame as some would make it out to be... I still think he can be a great player but he better start to get it together... What did worry me is he didn't seem to be the same player once he put on more size, he seemed slower and less athletic..

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: February 16, 2015 01:47PM

cshashaty Wrote:
> Let's stop calling Dion Jordan a bust. He is not a
> bust. Don Reese was a bust. Eric Kumerow was a
> bust. What Jordan needs is a full, clean, and
> healthy offseason in the strength and conditioning
> program, which he will get in 2015.

and Vernon Gholston....DJ is starting to look a lot like him but the story isn't over yet so I will hold off judgement.

>
> I also think he is a DE first and foremost but can
> be dropped into coverage to run with a physical TE
> like Gronkowski. Converting him into an OLB takes
> him away somewhat from what he does best, which is
> rush the passer and disrupt plays behind the LOS.
> Yes, I think he would be a good OLB but I also
> think he can become an exceptional DE.

Based on what exactly? Certainly not from anything he's done in the NFL.

He played TE and was switched to defense later on in Eugene. When he played defense he was in a hybrid position that was more OLB than DE and he dropped into coverage as mush as he rushed the passer. 7.5 sacks and then 5 sacks in his last year in college. He covered slot receivers and sometimes outside receivers. He put up good numbers in TFL's but he was usually the best athlete on the field. That's no longer the case. he gets handled by NFL OT's in pass protection.

He was an OLB in a 3-4 who played DE when in a 4-3 alignment BUT in the wide 9 alignment. Frankly, playing OLB is as close or closer to what he did (and excelled at) in college.

He WAS and IS a great pass rushing PROSPECT but that's about it as of now. To say he is a DE "first and foremost" is still a projection and a bit of wishful thinking. The knock on him was that he was a projection at DE and RAW. He had a limited pass rush arsenal and needed to refine his techniques. He has done little to build on that. So far he has been best in coverage.

He also played at 230 lbs in college and has not shown he can handle the added weight. We are talking about 30-40 more lbs. Who know how much of it was juice? I say let him get back to 240 and let him operate in space....where he excelled in college.

Right now he's closer to a bust than an NFL pass rusher.

I still have high hopes but they get lower and lower every week. He got 22 snaps a game last year and produced 1 sack.

Posted by: cshashaty ()
Date: February 17, 2015 11:36AM

JoeFootball Wrote:
> Based on what exactly? Certainly not from anything
> he's done in the NFL.

The biggest reason why Jordan didn't play more IMO is that he lacks the strength to defend the edge at a pro level. You can't put a guy out there who is going to be a liability versus the run. That's what I saw and why I believe DC Kevin Coyle used him situationally and why I felt HC Joe Philbin felt he could take the risk of having him run down kicks in order to get more productivity out of him (i.e. what he could contribute in 2014).

Now, the reason I see him as DE is because of the way he comes off the edge and attacks the ball. I see a bigger Charles Haley. I see a guy who has lightning speed and explosiveness to disrupt and cause mayhem. He has great hands and is long armed, too. When you have a guy with those sorts of elite skills, who can attack a QB or a runner from the backside, or can run and guard an elite, physical TE like Gronkowski down the field, it is in your best interest to have him on the field as much as possible. However, to do that Jordan needs to get stronger (not heavier) and he needs to better understand what the coaches want out of him scheme-wise. Losing those weeks to his suspension really hurt him last year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2015 11:38AM by cshashaty.

Date: February 18, 2015 02:36AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.