HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Read Option
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Read Option
Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: December 12, 2014 07:49AM

Teams are not allowing us to run this play because they are blitzing from the weak side or keeping the DE to set the edge.

When it worked the DE was crashing inside to defend the run. They are no longer doing this.

Tannehill has the option of either handing off to Miller or keeping the ball and running with it. You saw last week (and one other time) that Tannehill tried to adjust and run up the middle instead of off left tackle. It produced a few yards once and was stuffed for a loss once. He took a huge hit on the play where it gained about 5 yards.

If every opposing teams can figure this out, why aren't our coaches providing a counter.

I am waiting for Lazor to adjust to this. Jarvis Landry usually lines up on the left slot for this play as we are in a 3 WR set. Opposing teams are blitzing a WLB to prevent it but Tannehill should use Landry as the dump off.

I saw a shot of the all-22 tape from last week and he was all alone when this happened. The LB'er who was responsible for him in coverage blitzed and he was completely free. Had RT dumped it to Landry, he could have made at least a 25 yard gain. Maybe even a TD.

Fake the QB run and dump it out to the left slot.

That gives the defenses 3 options to worry about. They can't prevent all 3. When they stop doing it to cover the slot, it will leave RT open for more big runs.

Not every team is defending it the same way but at least it is one option for the teams that do this.

Just a thought.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Read Option
Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: December 12, 2014 08:22AM

I don't want my pro qb running the read option

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: December 12, 2014 08:27AM

enter chyren in 3....2....1......

Date: December 12, 2014 08:40AM

Not sure what that even means. I could have sworn RT was already running the read option. confused smiley

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 12, 2014 09:25AM

OK, holic.

Joe agree.

Mizzou, yeah, look how bad it's been for SEA and SF. Were u there in the 1940's downtalking the forward pass?

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: December 12, 2014 11:06AM

the read option is a gimmicky offense for qbs that are limited and/or can't read a defense.

At some point you have to be able to read a D in the pros. Kap has been horrible this year. Wilson is good but has the luxury of having the best D in the league.

QBs coming out of college can't read Ds. The stomp their foot once and look to the sideline to get the read and the play.

Seattle didn't win it all because they mix in the read option they won because of their defense.

This isn't the game progressing it's the QB talent regressing.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 12, 2014 12:09PM

People were probably saying the same thing about the forward pass. "It's not the wave of the future, it's just a passing (no pun intended) fad."

Date: December 13, 2014 04:09AM

jsm08 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the read option is a gimmicky offense for qbs that
> are limited and/or can't read a defense.
>
> At some point you have to be able to read a D in
> the pros. Kap has been horrible this year.
> Wilson is good but has the luxury of having the
> best D in the league.
>
> QBs coming out of college can't read Ds. The
> stomp their foot once and look to the sideline to
> get the read and the play.
>
> Seattle didn't win it all because they mix in the
> read option they won because of their defense.
>
> This isn't the game progressing it's the QB talent
> regressing.

I would have to disagree. RT has to "read" the defense on the fly in the read option. Make instant diagnosis.

Seattle ALSO had a great running game and Russell played very well. Very balanced team. No one is going to be a winner by just implementing the read option. It's only one play and one weapon in the arsenal.

I haven't seen anyone say Tannehill cannot read defenses. He is very smart.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.