HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Genius Ross
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Genius Ross
Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: November 06, 2014 05:14AM

Giving up a divisional home game to play Jets in London next year. What an idiot!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2014 10:15AM by JoeFootball.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stupid Ross!
Posted by: pafinfan ()
Date: November 06, 2014 05:34AM

London, again?

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: November 06, 2014 06:24AM

We don't really have a home field advantage. I don't think this a that big of a deal.

Besides, we are still trying to get another super bowl to S. Florida. Not really in a position to tell the home office "no" if they ask really hard.

Date: November 06, 2014 07:03AM

ReplyRetweetFavorite
26m
Andrew Abramson ? @AbramsonPBP
#Dolphins didn't want to give up DAL, Indy, NYG, NE games. BUF already in Jax. NFL didn't want Texans. That left Jets

Frankly, it's hard to argue with this logic.

Right now we have 7 opponents locked in for home games next year. The 8th won't be determined until the season is over.

If buffalo is out because they are already playing JAX in London and the nfl won't take the Texas, then which of our 5 remaining games (NE, NYJ, NYG, DAL, INDY) would you play over there if it was your decision?

I'd pick the jets every single time.

As much as it may pain some to admit it, Ross and Co. got this right.

People can certainly argue against our playing anyone over there at all, but if we want to host another Super Bowl this century that really isn't an option.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: November 06, 2014 07:03AM

Dave Hyde ?@davehydesports 8m8 minutes ago
Dolphins giving up home game vs Jets for London is a slap at a struggling fan base in South Florida.

I have to agree with dave hyde.

Date: November 06, 2014 07:17AM

THE Truth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We don't really have a home field advantage. I
> don't think this a that big of a deal.

If Miami has struggled to fill seats with home fans it's because we haven't been winning for a decade.

The home crowd was awesome last week vs the Chargers. Win and they will come.

>
> Besides, we are still trying to get another super
> bowl to S. Florida. Not really in a position to
> tell the home office "no" if they ask really
> hard.

First shot at a SB is 2020.....4 to 5 years out. They could have taken a London game (for the second year in a row) WITHOUT doing it vs a division rival.

When you are trying to get Miami fans back to the stadium, this doesn't help.

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: November 06, 2014 07:46AM

You give up the Jets game? What?

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: November 06, 2014 07:59AM

Ross didn't want the low life jet fans effing up his renovations.

can't say that I blame him.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: November 06, 2014 08:00AM

If a jet fan wanted to watch a game with me it would have to be through one of my windows.

No way that cretin is getting in my house.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: November 06, 2014 09:19AM

Devil's Advocate here. Why is it so important that Ross bends over backwards to gain favor with the NFL so we might get a SB here in South Florida (SF)?

Second question: Since SF is already a vacation destination for so many northerners, is the revenue earned from Super Bowl week so great for local businesses that it boosts the local economy? How much tax revenue is generated from SB week that goes to state and local governments?

Third question: Aside from filling the stadium to capacity for a change, how else does the Dolphins organization benefit from holding a SB at their facility?

Last question: Could it be just be another Ross celebrity bash?

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: November 06, 2014 10:56AM

All teams covet hosting the Super Bowl, not sure how Ross gets singled out as just "wanting another celebrity bash"

As far as agreeing to send the team to London again, it sounds like Miami has a pretty good fan base growing in the UK, why wouldn't he want to expand merch sales in the global market? It's not like they sell out Sun Life stadium on a regular basis anyway, and if the Super bowl is no big deal to the local economy, surely missing one home game is a drop in the bucket, no?

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: November 06, 2014 11:32AM

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: November 06, 2014 11:41AM

What I dont like about this, is the game is scheduled for week 4, that is late September first week October at the latest... That is us not only giving up the home field advantage but also the Miami weather that time of year... And we still have to go play up in the cold in NY late in the season... That is a bad move... It is one thing to give up a home game to a division opponent and rival, but to do it when it is still 100 degrees outside down here is a foolish move on Ross's part... This move by the owner tells me money is more important then victory to him... No other way around it... Bad deal, could have been negotiated much better if he had a clue......

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: November 06, 2014 12:02PM

LOL, all joking aside, Crowder brings up some valid points that make sense, I just think connecting the dots of Ross wanting a super bowl in Miami to him wanting to have a celebrity bash is a bit unfair, dontcha think?

Date: November 06, 2014 12:29PM

I dont blame Ross for wanting to get Superbowls, he is investing a lot of his own money into the stadium.. A superbowl helps him get some of that money back from the pvt sector but also from the local governments who pay the Dolphins money if they land Superbowls to the city...

I just think Ross could have done it later in the Season and moved up the away Jets game to week 4 to help take away their weather advantage since we are giving up our own weather advantage... We should have shuffled the schedule a bit more to our advantage in order to give up a home divisional rival game...

I imagine instead of that, the NFL also dangled the carrot for some more primetime games to help offset the money and make it more enticing financially to Ross... In my opinion this is about money not celebrity...

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2014 01:21PM by Crowder52.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: November 06, 2014 01:34PM

JoeFootball Wrote:
> THE Truth Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > We don't really have a home field advantage.
> I
> > don't think this a that big of a deal.
>
> If Miami has struggled to fill seats with home
> fans it's because we haven't been winning for a
> decade.
>
> The home crowd was awesome last week vs the
> Chargers. Win and they will come.
>
> >
> > Besides, we are still trying to get another
> super
> > bowl to S. Florida. Not really in a position
> to
> > tell the home office "no" if they ask really
> > hard.
>
> First shot at a SB is 2020.....4 to 5 years out.
> They could have taken a London game (for the
> second year in a row) WITHOUT doing it vs a
> division rival.
>
> When you are trying to get Miami fans back to the
> stadium, this doesn't help.

Joe, I read where the first opening for a Super Bowl is 2018.

Date: November 06, 2014 01:41PM

Date: November 06, 2014 02:12PM

Of course he can negotiate it.. We went this year, he has a a pretty strong position that it is someone else's turn to take the trip across the pond... No doubt "The League" had to lobby Ross to get this approved... He surely had a strong case and right to force them to not choose the Dolphins to go back to back years and give up a division game against a very popular Jets Rivalry ticket in Miami... This is also the first divisional game ever to be in London.. Division games have real play off implications... That is tough to force a team to make that travel and fan sacrifice with such implications, which is why it has never been done till this scheduled game... We had negotiating power in that special first time situation... The league bought our silence to the situation/implications IMO..

On a side note I think the NFL is setting up for the eventual London team to be an AFC east team... Because of distance and the popularity of the DOlphins and Patriots in London... And next year 3 of the 4 AFC east teams will be playing a game in London...

Nietzsche

Date: November 06, 2014 02:54PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> Of course he can negotiate it.. We went this year,
> he has a a pretty strong position that it is
> someone else's turn to take the trip across the
> pond... No doubt "The League" had to lobby Ross to
> get this approved... He surely had a strong case
> and right to force them to not choose the Dolphins
> to go back to back years and give up a division
> game against a very popular Jets Rivalry ticket in
> Miami... This is also the first divisional game
> ever to be in London.. Division games have real
> play off implications... That is tough to force a
> team to make that travel and fan sacrifice with
> such implications, which is why it has never been
> done till this scheduled game... We had
> negotiating power in that special first time
> situation... The league bought our silence to the
> situation/implications IMO..
>
> On a side note I think the NFL is setting up for
> the eventual London team to be an AFC east team...
> Because of distance and the popularity of the
> DOlphins and Patriots in London... And next year 3
> of the 4 AFC east teams will be playing a game in
> London...

Sure. He could have said "no thanks" but he's spent how long trying to get stadium improvements that he's now paying for out of pocket so the area can host another Super Bowl?

He's not going to piss off the people that hand that out.

If they asked, all he really gets to negotiate is the date and who they play. The date doesn't really matter and of the 5 teams he could choose to play there he picked the right one to play on a neutral site. We need the home field and heat to more against the pats and colts than the Jets who will have a new HC a new offense and defense and a rookie QB.

Date: November 06, 2014 02:57PM

Date: November 06, 2014 03:06PM

We should have scheduled to play the Texans... According to the above article that was in our right but the NFL didnt want it... Yet we were still giving up a home game... Ross got a carrot or 2 from the NFL no doubt about it... That is why I say the money was more important then the victory to Ross in this situation... Obviously I dont think that defines Ross but in this situation I believe it does... The NFL dictated to him that the Texans werent enough..... that is pretty shady...Buffalo gets to play the Jags but we cant play the Texans? Ross got something to accept that as answer from the NFL IMO.. International games being divisional games is unprecedented and a disadvantage to us next season.. The Texans would not have been, besides we cant beat the Texans anyways....lol...

Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2014 03:11PM by Crowder52.

Date: November 06, 2014 03:19PM

JoeFootball Wrote:
> Giving up a divisional home game to play Jets in
> London next year. What an idiot!

This is Ross on his knees chicken necking to get the next Superbowl game played at the newly renovated Dolphins stadium.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: November 07, 2014 04:25AM

The Jets are definitely the most beatable out of the bunch THIS YEAR but we will be playing against Jameis Winston and the new HC next year. They will still be rebuilding.

Date: November 07, 2014 05:19AM

JoeFootball Wrote:
> The Jets are definitely the most beatable out of
> the bunch THIS YEAR but we will be playing against
> Jameis Winston and the new HC next year. They will
> still be rebuilding.

Thats my point.

Would rather have the crowd and weather advantage of S. Florida VS Luck, Brady, Eli, and Romo or would you rather play them on a neutral site?

I'll take Winston in his 4th career game at a neutral location and force the other guys to deal with the crowd noise.

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: November 07, 2014 06:05AM

"That is why I say the money was more important then the victory to Ross in this situation... "

What victory?

I don't blame Ross. If the Dolphins keep going to London their fan base will certainly grow. More money in his pockets. I cannot fault him for wanting to make more money off his investment.

Truth has a good point, the Jets game should be winnable so it is a good choice to give up.

Date: November 07, 2014 06:15AM

dolphin Wrote:
> Truth has a good point, the Jets game should be
> winnable so it is a good choice to give up.

Even with Tannehill at the helm...<<<<gasp>>>>

Date: November 07, 2014 06:18AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> dolphin Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Truth has a good point, the Jets game should be
> > winnable so it is a good choice to give up.
>
>
> Even with Tannehill at the helm...<<<>>>

LOL. He is admitting Tannehill is the Franchise QB now weather hes man enough to admit or not. ))))NOT(((( grinning smileydrinking smiley

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: November 07, 2014 06:20AM

We have no idea if the Jets game is winnable at this point... A million and one things could happen between now and that game... If the Bills can play the Jags, we should have been able to play a non conference opponent as well like the Texans... Somehow the Bills get away with it but we dont?

Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2014 06:23AM by Crowder52.

Date: November 07, 2014 07:27AM

I predict a complete Jets sweep this season.

They are in sorry ass shape. No confidence. Even Rex won't say anything stupid to the press. He knows he's done.

Maybe Ross is trying to get a stadium deal in the UK? LOL.......Welcome to the New Ross shopping center just opposite the "Castle" When is enough money enough? Just more money to leave to Michigan state......

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: November 07, 2014 07:33AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> We have no idea if the Jets game is winnable at
> this point... A million and one things could
> happen between now and that game... If the Bills
> can play the Jags, we should have been able to
> play a non conference opponent as well like the
> Texans... Somehow the Bills get away with it but
> we dont?

From the post above, it sounds like it was SR's decision.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.