HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          How to Win: Proven Strategies
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
How to Win: Proven Strategies
Posted by: colonel ()
Date: October 14, 2014 09:05AM

The GB loss has really bothered me. Once I stop thinking about the silly timeouts and really questionable play calling, thoughts go to how to better defend teams that can score. I also looked at the ESPN site and glanced at the stats of different players throughout the NFL. Those were compared to our players. Then it dawned on me that the best solution to defending another team is time of possession and more specifically keeping the other offense OFF THE FIELD. This isn't new stuff. The time of possession in the GB game was lopsided in favor of Aaron Rodgers. We ran a lot fewer plays. We did a poor job keeping the D fresh. The D needs to be fresh at the end of a game, especially so when the opponent is very good and can score and beat you.

So, the proven strategy for winning is keeping the opponent's offense on the sidelines while your offensive moves the ball eating up the clock.

However, moving the ball progressively down the field can't be terminated without scoring, preferably with a TD. Six minute drives or better combined with a TD puts lots of pressure on the opposition. So, a corollary to keeping the offense off the field is to score points. Consequently, the best defense, once again is having a strong, potent offense that scores points.

Again, this isn't rocket science.

Keeping your D fresh and alive is critical provided your defense isn't compared to swiss cheese. The D has to be good. Special Teams has to be good. Players need to have situational awareness and be ready for the unexpected such as (fake grounding), end around, unusual player out of position, etc. They need to be sharp--on their toes.

Moreno is out for the season. Our running game is better than last year because the line is doing far better, yet, we need to have runners that can chew the clock up when called on to pound it out. Whether Lamar Miller can continue to shine for a full season remains to be seen.

Philbin and Lazor need to devise a game plan that mixes the running and passing game towards moving the chains to score on every possession. This may seem absurd to say, but some of the game calling we've observed certainly makes this obvious goal suspect. Trying not to make a mistake has backfired repeatedly. Taking passing plays out of the game, for instance, because of fear of losing to a mistake isn't a good, positive, winning approach. Besides players see it for what it is--kind of gutless. It also shows a severe case of no confidence with your QB and receivers.

Finally, I want to address attitude. Thinking that you're going to make a mistake is for losers. Winners think WIN. They approach problems from a confident position. Having the right attitude can do wonders for your skill set and ability to perform. Our players and coaches need to think WIN on every play.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to Win: Proven Strategies
Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: October 14, 2014 10:38AM

they run well ONLY out of the spread offense which is exactly what it was like last year. If they bunch up and try to pound it up the middle forget about it, they still stink....

I agree with you on attitude you gotta go smack them in the mouth, but we are scared. Came out scared in every game. Seems like at half time they say "we can play with this team after all, lets go and do it!"

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: October 14, 2014 10:56AM

Colonel Wrote: The GB loss has really bothered me. Once I stop thinking about the silly timeouts and really questionable play calling, thoughts go to how to better defend teams that can score. I also looked at the ESPN site and glanced at the stats of different players throughout the NFL. Those were compared to our players. Then it dawned on me that the best solution to defending another team is time of possession and more specifically keeping the other offense OFF THE FIELD. This isn't new stuff. The time of possession in the GB game was lopsided in favor of Aaron Rodgers. We ran a lot fewer plays. We did a poor job keeping the D fresh. The D needs to be fresh at the end of a game, especially so when the opponent is very good and can score and beat you.

So, the proven strategy for winning is keeping the opponent's offense on the sidelines while your offensive moves the ball eating up the clock.

However, moving the ball progressively down the field can't be terminated without scoring, preferably with a TD. Six minute drives or better combined with a TD puts lots of pressure on the opposition. So, a corollary to keeping the offense off the field is to score points. Consequently, the best defense, once again is having a strong, potent offense that scores points.

Again, this isn't rocket science.

Keeping your D fresh and alive is critical provided your defense isn't compared to swiss cheese. The D has to be good. Special Teams has to be good. Players need to have situational awareness and be ready for the unexpected such as (fake grounding), end around, unusual player out of position, etc. They need to be sharp--on their toes.

Moreno is out for the season. Our running game is better than last year because the line is doing far better, yet, we need to have runners that can chew the clock up when called on to pound it out. Whether Lamar Miller can continue to shine for a full season remains to be seen.

Philbin and Lazor need to devise a game plan that mixes the running and passing game towards moving the chains to score on every possession. This may seem absurd to say, but some of the game calling we've observed certainly makes this obvious goal suspect. Trying not to make a mistake has backfired repeatedly. Taking passing plays out of the game, for instance, because of fear of losing to a mistake isn't a good, positive, winning approach. Besides players see it for what it is--kind of gutless. It also shows a severe case of no confidence with your QB and receivers.

Finally, I want to address attitude. Thinking that you're going to make a mistake is for losers. Winners think WIN. They approach problems from a confident position. Having the right attitude can do wonders for your skill set and ability to perform. Our players and coaches need to think WIN on every play.

Nice Post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2014 11:06AM by samsam3738.

Date: October 14, 2014 11:00AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2014 11:01AM by samsam3738.

Date: October 14, 2014 11:08AM

Colonel Wrote: Our players and coaches need to think WIN on every play.

IMO our coaches lack confidence. and it translates to the players.

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: October 14, 2014 11:48AM

Failbin has come up with a bold aggressive strategy to generate some excitement before the Chicago game.
Dayglow yellow index cards for his pregame speech.
I don't know about you guys but, I'm psyched.
THAT should really electrify the atmosphere in the locker room.

The Clown Show Continues

-

Date: October 14, 2014 11:52AM

LOL Hooligan2.

Date: October 14, 2014 11:55AM

wait a minute....Unless the Dayglow yellow index cards have some kind of electricity and give each player electroshocks which change their way of thinking?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Joe Philbin is not a fool.......^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: October 14, 2014 01:25PM

Each game is different. You can't use the midst of a game to cure season long problems.

I won't try to explain it but this is part of the soul of Joe Philbin that I disagree with.

There are times for long term thinking and there are times to win the game before you although it requires even going, FOR THE MOMENT AND I EMPHASIZE FOR THE MOMENT, against your long term plans.

Joe Philbin is clueless. He's like that 80's song that say, "Oh please, just tell me who I am."

His focus is always too broad when it needs to be narrowed and too narrow when it needs to be broad.

Here a clue, Joe, from Monday through Saturday, work on long term problems.

On SUNDAY HOWEVER, assess the situation and (REGARDLESS OF WHAT YOU DEVOTED THE PRIOR WEEK TO) concentrate on the dynamics of the game you are playing and fit your decisions, both on the plays to be run or the defenses to be posed, AND THE PERSONNEL YOU PLAY based on THAT GAME AND THAT GAME ALONE. You do the same thing with other decisions, like calling timeout.

You DON'T say, with a team like Breen Bay running out of time, "it's more important to take time to make sure that Aaron Rodgers does not pick us apart than to let the clock run".........even if the clock running will deprive Aaron of a chance to win the game.

Posted by: TannyDaMan ()
Date: October 14, 2014 01:52PM

Each game is the same. Not different. The teams coaches game plan. The players implement the game plan. Coaches adjust throughout the game accordingly. Coaches get the best 53 in the right positions to win their assignments. Well coached teams. I.E. NE, overcome mediocre talent accross the board. Belixheat has them boys ready to play. It all starts and ends with coaching. Great coaches know how to push buttons on all the players and put them in best position to win. Bad coaches, I.E Philben and Coyle do not. When the players are pissed off about the play calling and schemes well they can't play at there best when they are second guessing coaching decisions. We have the talent to make it to playoffs. We just do not have the coaching to maximize that talent every week. We have a muchore talented group than Arizona, Dal, Baltimore Etc. We just do not have the coaching to attain it. Look at martial arts. Your only as good as the teacher. Great teachers make you better than them.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: October 14, 2014 02:44PM

I haven't heard one offensive player complain about the coaches.

Our d coaches play a bend don't break style d. They're objective is no yac or quick scores. They have to because we don't have an offense that can overcome a big deficit.

Our offense is limited because no one respects tannehill's deep ball. Hartline and Clay should be tearing up the middle of the field but it's not there because there's no need for deep safety help playing us. So until we can loosen up the D you better get used to it.

Posted by: gofins60 ()
Date: October 14, 2014 03:13PM

jsm08 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Our offense is limited because no one respects
> tannehill's deep ball. Hartline and Clay should
> be tearing up the middle of the field but it's not
> there because there's no need for deep safety help
> playing us. So until we can loosen up the D you
> better get used to it.

Tannehill is just not franchise QB material; just like Philbin is not HC material. If you have a speedy WR who can get past the defense but your QB can't hit him, then you have the wrong QB.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: October 14, 2014 03:21PM

jsm08 Wrote:
> I haven't heard one offensive player complain
> about the coaches.
>
> Our d coaches play a bend don't break style d.
> They're objective is no yac or quick scores. They
> have to because we don't have an offense that can
> overcome a big deficit.
>
> Our offense is limited because no one respects
> tannehill's deep ball. Hartline and Clay should
> be tearing up the middle of the field but it's not
> there because there's no need for deep safety help
> playing us. So until we can loosen up the D you
> better get used to it.

I also haven't heard offensive players complaining about the coaches, and I also haven't read of any complaining either, however...

I can guarantee that they are talking amongst themselves and thinking it. Now, saying that, I highly doubt they are saying anything about Lazor. He has brought in an up-tempo offense. Wallace, for one, is happy with it. The problem, as we have found out with the GB game, is that Philbin has overriden Lazor. What does that do for the offensive players?

I disagree that we don't have an offense that can overcome a big deficit. They did it vs GB; the D allowed GB to score the winning TD in the last six seconds. They allowed a 4th and 10 and a 3rd and 10. They allowed a clock play. Coyle had Miami's worst pass defender covering the outside one-on-one. Finnegan allows a pass completion and allows his man to go out of bounds to stop the clock. I could add more, but that is enough for now.

I understand that you said "big deficit" but really, there aren't very many teams that can do so.

You may be right in that no one respects RT's deep ball, but they sure as hell respect Wallace's speed. You don't think Wallace demands double coverage?

As far as the offense, I can admit that it isn't an 80's Marino-led offense. However, this is a solid offense, and I believe if allowed to let loose, they could do some damage. RT is not allowed to utilize his feet. He took off in the GB game and what happened? Should be allowed to do that at least 3-4 times every game. Miami has also had problems catching the ball; way too many drops. I believe the Fins are leading the league in drops. Some here have harped on RT not putting the ball where the receiver can catch it cleanly and take off. Uhhh.....I have seen many games where QBs are doing the same thing. I also know the difference between missing and putting the ball where the receiver won't get killed or a back-shoulder pass. RT has some work to do, as does the whole damn Dolphins team.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: October 14, 2014 03:23PM

Tannehill hit Wallace in stride right in the hands on quick deep slant just before half. Wallace dropped the ball, had he not dropped that ball Wallace most likely scores a TD just before the half.. Tannehill did not have a great game but there were plays that other skilled position guys left out there, that could have had an impact on the game.. We just were not getting it done as a team.. That is our problem, we have one guy let us done a lot, whether it be RT at times, or the WRs or the line or the RBs.. You can't win unless the entire team executes, if one guy doesn't the play fails.. And that is what happens a lot IMO.. And that blame changes from position to position on any given play...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: October 14, 2014 04:06PM

It's the coaching.

Date: October 14, 2014 09:48PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> Tannehill hit Wallace in stride right in the hands
> on quick deep slant just before half. Wallace
> dropped the ball, had he not dropped that ball
> Wallace most likely scores a TD just before the
> half.. Tannehill did not have a great game but
> there were plays that other skilled position guys
> left out there, that could have had an impact on
> the game.. We just were not getting it done as a
> team.. That is our problem, we have one guy let us
> done a lot, whether it be RT at times, or the WRs
> or the line or the RBs.. You can't win unless the
> entire team executes, if one guy doesn't the play
> fails.. And that is what happens a lot IMO.. And
> that blame changes from position to position on
> any given play...

NAIL/HEAD . thumbs up

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: October 15, 2014 01:38AM

I remember when we got Marshall that was all we needed..a tall target. Too bad we couldn't get him the ball.

We desperately needed speed on the outside. That was going to open things up and we got Wallace but can't hit him.

for every drop there 5x as many poorly thrown deep balls.

the point is if we see that don't you think opposing DCs do? Wallace doesn't command double coverage because we don't have a QB that can take advantage of his speed. Instead they take away the middle of the field which limits our offense to all the out patterns you see.

Watch the eagles offense sometime. That's what we're supposed to look like.

Blame the drops. blame the d, blame the coaches.

QBs are coach killers.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: October 15, 2014 04:25AM

Lots of good points presented. I have a few more thoughts on winning.

A coach that is so meticulous, so fixated on the original game plan, may be unable to handle the fog of war that happens on the field during the game. Being forced to make split decisions, IMO, is contrary to one's propensity for thinking things out from every angle. The penchant for being meticulous makes someone who wants to think things out clearly quite uneasy, uncomfortable, and insecure when there's hardly any time to decide what to do.

IMO, this is what is happening with Joe Philbin. If I'm assessing Philbin correctly, and it's possible that I'm not, this is something he has to tame to become a better HC on the field.

Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: October 15, 2014 04:50AM

Date: October 15, 2014 05:42AM

Never going to win with this clown as HC. After analyzing all the evidence presented. Well it is painfully clear that out teams biggest struggle has Ben Philben. Followed by Coyle and topped off with inconsistent Tannehill.

Date: October 15, 2014 06:03AM

I said last year and I'll say it again, there is no need to double cover Wallace because that play just cant be completed.

The Dolphins arent even calling the play anymore.

Date: October 15, 2014 10:11AM

JSM08, after that post, I am more convinced than ever that you are related by blood to Philbin.

Hey, when miamidolphins.com had a chatboard, in the old days when I posted along with guys like the Diceman and our on Curt, I defended Fiedler so much they used to call me "Fiedler's Mom."

Come on. Break it down for us. Admit it.

Date: October 15, 2014 10:19AM

Wish that board was back!

Date: October 15, 2014 11:30AM

Uncle Joe reads these boards and thinks your a know it all blowhard too.

We share a good laugh about it on our weekly phone call.

Date: October 15, 2014 11:33AM

Had Tannehill thrown an INT on that last possession you guys would be lambasting philbin for not running the ball 3 straight times.

Hindsight is 20/20

Date: October 15, 2014 11:36AM

jsm08 Wrote:
> Had Tannehill thrown an INT on that last
> possession you guys would be lambasting philbin
> for not running the ball 3 straight times.
>
> Hindsight is 20/20

Good one.

Date: October 15, 2014 01:03PM

Date: October 15, 2014 01:24PM

I play to win. Regardless of interception or not if we did not convert GreenBay would get the ball. Go for the win and if you don't win at least you can smile hang your head high and congratulate the other team for a job well done. Now what we have is a dumb ass questioning his decision because he was afraid to leave it all out on the field and let men be men. I have ZERO RESPECT for that mentality. Win lose or draw you go for the win!

Date: October 15, 2014 01:38PM

Chren incoming PM.

Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: October 16, 2014 03:43AM

I believe that timeout wall called so they could run the clock down to final seconds of the play clock. It stops on change of possession anyway.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.