HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Pass and run defense
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pass and run defense
Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: August 05, 2014 09:14AM

I think with our front 4 rotation and our secondary, we may be much improved this year. Forget the LB switch, this alone should pay dividends.

Only two returning starters in the secondary and possibly better chemistry. Seems to be excellent competition between vets and 2nd year guys. Pushing everyone to be better, work harder. I am anxious to see them in action.

Forcing offenses to be one dimensional is a good thing I just hope we aren't forcing teams to run on us because we are lacking in run support. It shouldn't be an issue for average run teams but it will for strong rushing teams unless our offense is playing with a lead.

EVERYONE in our division can run the ball and were all in the top 10 rushing teams of 2013.

Other 2014 opponents....

KC ranked 10th
Oak 12th
Min 8th
GB 7th

That's 10 games right there with strong running games.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2014 09:21AM by JoeFootball.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pass and run defense
Date: August 09, 2014 06:51AM

After last night this may be our biggest issue.Good news is its early in the pre season.They need to correct our linebacker play.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: August 11, 2014 06:42AM

Trusnik getting work with first team in practice. Not sure if it is at SLB. I often wondered why he hasn't beaten out Wheeler or Ellerbe. He's been solid.

Probably a better SLB.

Our 2nd team LB's have looked good. I wonder how long before the Wheeler/Ellerbe experiment gets cancelled.

Still not sure why Wheeler is playing weak side when his best seasons have come as a SLB.

I'm starting to wonder if Coyle knows enough about LB's to make an educated decision.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: August 11, 2014 06:59AM

I just can't wait until D Jordan is moved to MLBspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: August 11, 2014 07:39AM

I would like to see one of these combinations tried as the starting unit....

SLB Trusnik
MLB Misi
WLB Jordan

SLB Tripp
MLB Misi
WLB Ellerbe

SLB Wheeler
MLB Misi
WLB Ellerbe

SLB Misi
MLB Tripp
WLB Jordan

SLB Ellerbe
MLB Misi
WLB anybody but Wheeler

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: August 11, 2014 08:15AM

I like the 2nd grouping best.

Jordan needs to fail at DE before he gets moved to lb. He'll also need to drop 15-20lbs to make that move.

Date: August 18, 2014 06:01AM

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: August 18, 2014 09:19AM

Hopefully.....

1. Finnegan and grimes equals JB Brown and troy vincent....

2. Will davis and Jamar Taylor equals madison and surtain.

Date: August 19, 2014 07:31AM

Date: August 19, 2014 10:11AM

One of my concerns on the d-line is Earl Mitchell. He is listed as a starter ahead of Odrick but I doubt it ends up that way.

He had some terrible outings vs the run last year but he was playing NT in a 3-4. He was also playing next to a couple of stud DE's in Watt and Antonio Smith. Houston was ranked 23rd vs the run last year (Miami 24th).

Now add in the struggles at LB and we may be in trouble.

I think our best lineup is Odrick and Starks at DT but may be better off with Odrick at DE in the base defense. None of our DE's are particularly great in run defense but Shelby was graded pretty high.

I also think our best linebackers are Misi and Trusnik in the run game and switching to the young guys for the nickle. Tripp and Jenkins or McCain.

It will be something of importance to watch this week in the 3rd PS game. Dallas has a pretty good line. They just sort of abandoned the run last year...much like Miami.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: August 20, 2014 02:23AM

Trusnik is great on special teams and average at best at LB.

I think Jenkins, McCain, and Tripp are our starters next year. Misi won't be resigned, Wheeler may not make the final 53 this year, and if Ellerbe doesn't live up to his contract this year I think he'll be gone.

Date: August 20, 2014 04:11AM

"Average at best" would still make Trusnik better than Ellerbe or Wheeler. I like him vs the run.

Misi doesn't have to be resigned as he is under contract through 2017. I've seen nothing to suggest the coaches don't want to keep him. Quite the opposite actually.

I don't see Wheeler getting cut or he would have been demoted already. What's the sense in taking an instant 10.6 mil hit on the cap? He may get benched but he will then be playing special teams where he belongs. The only way he sticks is if they move him to his natural position of SLB where he can get off the field in passing downs. Even if they take the cap hit over two years we are looking at paying a guy around 5 mil each season for playing for another team.

I would look for him to be released next year when they can spread his then, 4.2 mil hit over two season.

I've seen nothing from Jenkins that has stood out but I would not be surprised to see Tripp in the lineup after he gains some muscle. He looks a bit narrow to me. That's ok in pass defense but not great for taking on guards. McCain has been making plays in practice but let's see if he can make some plays over the next two weeks. I really like what I'm hearing and seeing from him. Our other future starting LB is probably still in college (maybe in Miami). I would bet on taking one high next year in the draft. Along with a FS.

BTW: Daryn Colledge was designated a post June release and the Cardinals are paying him 2.3 mil over the next two years. On top of the 2 mil he is making in Miami, that's pretty good for a guard.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: August 20, 2014 10:28AM

If Trusnik were better than Ellerbe or Wheeler he would be playing instead of them. He should have been given a shot at ILB. I would like to see if McCain is the real deal at ILB. Time for Jenkins to show something.

Everything I read about Mitchell w/ the Texans have been positive even when he was playing an undersized NT. Relentless motor, heart etc and had 14 more tackles than Solia.

Date: September 08, 2014 08:08AM

I guess I don't have to worry about Mitchell as much as I thought. He had 4 tackles, 3 stops, 1 TFL, 1 QB hit and 3 hurries.

Koa Misi played 17 snaps and had two tackles, one stop.

Trusnik had 3 tackles at MLB and 3 stops.

(stop constitutes and offensive failure).

Jenkins played the money spot at WLB and had 6 tackles and 3 stops. I hope he takes over the starting WLB spot for good!

There were 7 missed tackles by the Miami defense.

Grimes 1
Wilson 1
Vernon 2
Odrick 1
Shelby 1
Taylor 1

Date: September 08, 2014 08:38AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hopefully.....
>
>
> 1. Finnegan and grimes equals JB Brown and troy
> vincent....
>
>
> 2. Will davis and Jamar Taylor equals madison and
> surtain.

Everyone likes to talk about Madison and Surtain. I do as well. They were part of one of Miami's best ever defenses. But they had a critical element we were missing .....Zack Thomas. he played sideline to sideline and NEVER missed a tackle. Finally we are getting some Linebacker play and the unit shut down the Pats in the second half. McCain might be the answer to my prayers. thumbs up

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.