HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          MLB
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
MLB
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: August 12, 2014 04:53AM

Misi is garbage, no instincts at a position where that's the key thing. remember zach and offerdahl?
so my question is, is there a vet FA out there we can consider? I'd even bring back Kevin Burnett, though Philbin won't b/c he's scared of him (as is Omar Kelly). What about John Vilma or someone? any options out there? I know anyone now would be old and stop gap but we can't go into the year with Misi or even a rookie like Tripp at mlb

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MLB
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: August 12, 2014 04:58AM

Misi at least is better than the 2 scrubs we have on the outside.

Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: August 12, 2014 08:18AM

Garbage? Really? Just exactly how many snaps have you seen Misi play MLB?

Date: August 12, 2014 08:38AM

Garbage? Hows that? Wheeler is Garbage. Misi seemed to play well the other night as far as I could see.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: August 12, 2014 09:15AM

I thought Misi looked good. He was in on several tackles.

Yeah he swiffed on the one play, but over all I thought he put himself in place to make plays.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: August 12, 2014 09:46AM

I saw no difference w/ Misi at Mlb. He had one good stop, a good sack. One tackle after a 4 yard gain and another after an even longer gain. Other times he was the usual Misi standing after the play was over looking at the pile. Ellerbe had the best game. Not garbage bit Misi is overrated and has not delivered on the 2nd round pick we spent on him. Maybe he is garbage since he cost us a #2 pick.

Not sure why we have our mlb play so far off the line of scrimmage anyway.

Date: August 12, 2014 10:02AM

Come on missi is playing a new position.....He didn't do that bad for playing MLB for the fist time in a game.

He only had a few practices at middle LB.

At least give him time.

Date: August 12, 2014 10:27AM

Time for Misi to **** or get off the pot. I hope he pans out but this is his 5th season w/ the Phins. That ATL game the starting lbs looked scarily like last years especially the middle and weak side. Misi always seems to get a free lunch but I have never seen him merit that 2nd rnd pick we spent for him or earn that contract we gave him a couple of years ago. Part time playing bum. He had better come thru for us this season.

Date: August 12, 2014 11:59AM

And how many positions has he played in 4 years? He is not an elite player and probably never will be. What he is, is steady, versatile, reliable and a team player. Shit or get off the pot? Maybe regulate his diet a bit.

4-3 SDE, 4-3 SLB, 3-4 SOLB, 4-3 MLB,

This defense has weaknesses but Misi is not the one to worry about....

#1 Phillip Wheeler
#2 Dannelle Ellerbe
#3 Reshad Jones & a 5'11 190 lb SS substitute in Jimmy Wilson

And once again....the starting defense played 15 snaps last week. How much can anyone really assess?

Ellerbe will be playing Misi's position of 2013 at SLB. He will probably come off the field (as Misi did) on passing downs. Why they decided that Ellerbe was the guy to move to that spot instead of Wheeler is beyond me. Wheeler's only good seasons came at SLB.

The only reason I can figure is they are thinking someone will take the WLB spot from him and then Ellerbe will already be familiar at SLB.

Date: August 12, 2014 12:22PM

I agree with 1&2Joe. 100%.

But Jones was a playmaker in 2012.He should bounce back and be a playmaker again after the 4 game suspension. And what Jimmy Wilson lacks in size he more then makes up for it in heart. Is he R Jones? No but he should do well enough to stop gap the suspension.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: August 12, 2014 12:31PM

My only issue with Wilson (who I like as a nickle corner) is that he doesn't have the size to hold up as a SS.

Also...on the Misi issue, Ellerbe may have had more tackles but out of the 15 plays who had the impact plays?

Surely no one would blame Misi for the Delmas illegal contact penalty. Otherwise Misi gets credited for a great play where he blitzes, stuffs the FB and sacks Matt Ryan.

Date: August 12, 2014 01:54PM

garbage i sez

Date: August 13, 2014 02:23AM

Wheeler needs to be replaced

Ellerbe can handle the strong side

We need a better free safety.

Misi has been around longer than any of them, has played less downs, has made less tackles. If he has got something he had better show it now (translation get of the pot or fill it). Stop the excuses and overrating. The oline looks to have corrected itself the lbs need to do the same.

Date: August 13, 2014 05:57AM

What excuses? What over rating?

I watched the game again last night and looked closely at several players. This is what I saw....

Ellerbe making a tackle 15 yards down field means very little. He had 4 tackles total. Misi had 3 and one sack called back due to penalty. DE's tackles were all on strong side runs. That's what he is supposed to do....except hopefully closer to the LOS than Friday.

Ellerbe's made two "tackles" in the run game after giving up 8 yards on two pays. That comes out to a first down in every series or 4.0 ypc. Hardly anything to write home about.

His tackles in the passing game gave up 22 yards or the equivalent of two first downs.

What I like is that I see Misi in position to make impact plays. That's what you want from your MLB. He had the sack (-6 yards) and was in position to make another TFL in the running game but he got juked on a great move. That's not an excuse. He missed the tackle BUT he was in the right spot. That's what's important right now in his transition to yet another new position. He is a good tackler so its not going to be a recurring issue.

Misi tackles.....

rushing tackle - gain of 1 yards
passing tackle - gain of 4 yards
sack for -6 yards
off right tackle, Ellerbe gets washed out, Misi covers him. gain of 7 yards.

Misi gave up a net of -6 yards.

Ellerbe gave up -30 yards IF you don't count the block he couldn't get off of on the strong side off tackle run. If you want to throw that in there then Misi gave up -1 yard and Ellerbe is at -37 yards.

So how exactly did Ellerbe have a better game?

The argument of Misi being around longer and having less tackles is meaningless at best and also untrue.

He has played 4 years, Ellerbe 5 years, Wheeler 6 years.

Wheeler and Ellerbe have played OLB or ILB their ENTIRE career, respectively.

Misi has played 3-4 SOLB and 4-3 DE so obviously he is going to have fewer tackles than a 4-3 LB or 3-4 ILB. That's just the way it works. Not an excuse. FACT.

A weak side LB is also going to get more tackle than a SLB. Especially in this system. FACT.

Now, you want to talk impact plays?

Still keeping in mind Ellerbe has been playing a year longer and Wheeler 2 years longer....

Misi: 11 sacks, 8 PD, 2 FF, 2 FR, 0 int = 23/4 = 5.75 IPPY
Ellerbe: 6.5 sacks, 10 PD, 1 FF, 3 FR, 3 int = 23.5/5 = 4.7 IPPY
Wheeler: 5.5 sacks, 15 PD, 3 FF, 2 FR, 0 int = 25.5/6 = 4.25 IPPY

(Impact Plays Per year)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2014 09:10AM by JoeFootball.

Date: August 13, 2014 09:25AM

Just out of curiosity....

IPPY for Zach Thomas....(13 years)

20.5 sacks, 38 PD, 16 FF, 8 FR, 17 int = 99.5/13 = 7.65 IPPY

IPPY for Ray Lewis....(17 years)

41.5 sacks, 81 PD, 19 FF, 20 FR, 31 int = 192.5/17 = 11.32 IPPY

IPPY for Channing Crowder (6 years)

2.5 sacks, 18 PD, 3 FF, 3 FR, 1 int = 25/6 = 4.16 IPPY

Date: August 13, 2014 11:17AM

JoeFootball Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just out of curiosity....
>
> IPPY for Zach Thomas....(13 years)
>
> 20.5 sacks, 38 PD, 16 FF, 8 FR, 17 int = 99.5/13 =
> 7.65 IPPY
>
> IPPY for Ray Lewis....(17 years)
>
> 41.5 sacks, 81 PD, 19 FF, 20 FR, 31 int = 192.5/17
> = 11.32 IPPY
>
> IPPY for Channing Crowder (6 years)
>
> 2.5 sacks, 18 PD, 3 FF, 3 FR, 1 int = 25/6 = 4.16
> IPPY

Crowder was a scrub.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: August 13, 2014 04:45PM

I am not sure about Koa, I think he has played 4 different positions because he hasn't really excelled at any of the previous...

My concerns about him playing MLB, is his ability to shed blockers, and his knowledge of the game. MLB's have to be the sharpest, best studied player on that defense... I am hoping that is what he is doing...

I think he should be quick enough and always had a strong motor.. MLB is critical, I will give him a chance, but he needs to show me something early on...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: August 13, 2014 05:56PM

again mlb is all instincts. how can you stick a guy who's never played the position and expect him to have those instincts and QB the defense and get everyone in place? isn't there an unisgned vet mlb out there we can bring in? remember the old days when we'd get by with old vet fa's like barry krauss and cliff odom? they weren't great but they could be a stop gap

Date: August 14, 2014 03:30AM

Date: August 14, 2014 03:46AM

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: August 14, 2014 05:58AM

Agreed Joe, we can thank Ireland for this mess, and there was no way Hickey could of fixed it other then one of the young guys/draft picks stepping up or moving Misi. When can either one get cut without it hurting too much is the real question?

Date: August 14, 2014 07:23AM

Date: August 14, 2014 07:34AM

Date: August 14, 2014 07:35AM

Misi is not the second coming of Zach Thomas , but calling him garbage is about as accurate as calling "Mr Ross" macho.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: August 14, 2014 07:37AM

I wonder if Tripp was practicing at SLB or WLB when he was on the outside.

Wheeler may be getting closer to a ST's and backup role.

This makes sense to me....

WLB Tripp
MLB Misi
SLB Ellerbe

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: August 14, 2014 08:04AM

As I stated Misi was in position to make plays. He will make more s the season goes on and has always had a great motor.

Thought he should have been the MLB about 2 years ago.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: August 14, 2014 10:27AM

JoeFootball Wrote:
> I wonder if Tripp was practicing at SLB or WLB
> when he was on the outside.
>
> Wheeler may be getting closer to a ST's and backup
> role.
>
> This makes sense to me....
>
> WLB Tripp
> MLB Misi
> SLB Ellerbe

What makes more sense is Dion Jordan at WLB.

Date: August 14, 2014 10:29AM

dolphin Wrote:

> Thought he should have been the MLB about 2 years
> ago.

Sure you did.eye rolling smiley

Date: August 14, 2014 10:42AM

Most pre draft analyst had Tripp projected as a mlb. We gotta get the best 3 on the field and in the right spots.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: August 14, 2014 12:26PM

I don't see the Fins finishing above .500 (again) this year.

If RT is able to stick with the Fins, I see Miami getting a top notch LB in next year's draft.

Now, if Philbin and Hickey are fired, then there's a good chance RT follows (unless he has a really great season, and if he does, then there would have to be a lot of factors to where Miami can't break .500).

If that is the case, then Miami will be looking to, once again, draft a franchise QB.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.