HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Same Oline Problems in 2014 as in 2013.
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Same Oline Problems in 2014 as in 2013.
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: July 23, 2014 01:52PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Same Oline Problems in 2014 as in 2013.
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: July 23, 2014 08:02PM

Posted by: gofins60 ()
Date: July 24, 2014 03:16AM

The o-line was decent, probably average under Sparano and would've been above average with an upgrade or two. Unfortunately, Ross hired Philbin and his complete change of offensive philosophy has set this team back years.

Ross should have cleaned house when Sparano was fired and hired a new GM and Head Coach who could build on the already-good defense and improve the offense. I hate sounding like a broken record, but the o-line woes are the fault of Ireland and Philbin.

Date: July 24, 2014 03:17AM

I did.....I really want to know what people think about this.

IMO We are screwed for another year at least.

This dolphins Oline will struggle and make Tannehill look bad again.

I truly hope iam wrong. I really do not see it any other way.

Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: July 24, 2014 04:40AM

It sure isn't starting out very well. Pouncey and the idiot, Jordan out to start the first quarter/half of the season.

Training camp should tell a lot. We'll see if Dallas Thomas holds on to the starting LG spot or if they are juggling players again. Same now goes for RG and C and we don't even know how James is going to adjust as an NFL right tackle. Going against Cam Wake all day will be a true test.

Who the hell is going to be put in the center spot? I don't know. Garner, Smith, someone else?

I'm getting less optimistic by the day.

Date: July 24, 2014 04:49AM

yes 2 distractions Jordan and Pouncey.

Its obvious this team is jinxed.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: July 24, 2014 06:03AM

The best part about being an avid fan is having hope/optimism year after year going into training camp. They had one of the worst O-lines last year and Hickey attempted to upgrade it, I'll take a wait and see approach thru TC, at least DH tried filling obvious holes and didn't ignore them ala Ireland.

Date: July 24, 2014 06:21AM

Me too but that doesn't mean I am not concerned. There are just too many questions at too many positions. For 4 out of 5 to be answered regarding the o-line, in a positive manor would be a HUGE accomplishment.

I like what Hickey has done. I'm glad we have an accomplished line coach instead of Turner. I'm glad we have a new offense but it is still being run by a rookie OC.

So now we need the rookie OC to prove himself, 4 out of 5 unproven linemen to prove themselves, our QB to continue to progress, our RB's to learn how to make plays, our high priced WR to get better, 2 to 3 WR's to heal up as well as 1 running back...

And that's not including the defense that regressed in 2013.

LOTS of questions! but I am looking forward to it. Finally the lull is over and we are onto TC!

Oh....and we have to hope that no one else gets injured all through training camp and the preseason.

Date: July 24, 2014 06:24AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The best part about being an avid fan is having
> hope/optimism year after year going into training
> camp. They had one of the worst O-lines last year
> and Hickey attempted to upgrade it, I'll take a
> wait and see approach thru TC, at least DH tried
> filling obvious holes and didn't ignore them ala
> Ireland.

I hear you dolphaholic but i had hope for a long time. But i just lost all hope 3 or 4 years ago.

Same thing every year.

Not jumping ship though. I never got off the bandwagon and never will. Its just very disapointing to go through the same routine for such a long time.

Other than a year with fiedler and the year with pennington we have not been to the playoffs.

But not basketball baseball or any other sports beats that football feeling right before the game at about 1:00 when the phins play.

And i don't give a crap about any other team....

Like if its the first game of the season and the phins aint playing they play at 4.....but there is a 1 pm game another team....I feel nothing.

I only feel it when the phins play.

For the last about 18 years i had every season recorded on tape....Every
phins game they televised...About 2 years ago i gave them all away...and some got damaged....

Date: July 24, 2014 07:54AM

Improved ? Yes. Dominating? errrrrrr......No.

The sushi smell and the tampon dispenser in the lockeroom is gone thanks to Martin being gone .

Here is what I predict. Tannehill has his sack numbers cut almost in half to around 25-30. Our running game will still blow like a crack whore. And Tannehill throws for at least 4000 yds . We go 10-6. Make the wildcard. The Pats will start a decline , however the Jets and the Bills are on the rise.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: July 24, 2014 08:00AM

Can't wait till pats are on the decline.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: July 26, 2014 02:33PM

our line is going to suck again. moving smith to center weakened two positions and the right side is dallas Thomas and a rookie.

until they can prove otherwise d's will overload the right side of our line and pin their ears back.

let Brenner or garner play c and get smith back to his natural position.

I'm usually more optimistic heading into a season but his line looks a lot like the last one save LT.

I think Tannehill will end up being a very good qb in this league. I have a feeling it will be elsewhere.

Date: July 27, 2014 07:52AM

I have no doubt when its over the move should have been to dump Dion Jordon to the Eagles for the 2nd rounder and another player. With that second rounder grabbing another lineman or moving up to get Martin from the cowgirls. We still could have gotten James possibly in the second round . Oh well. Even Brandon Albert looked a bit slow as our defense broke through constantly in practice. First Pre season game will be the first real test .

This is what frustrates me about the Phins. For over a decade our biggest problem was a QB. They constantly went after other Teams 2-3rd round scrubs.

Now its our Oline and its Patchwork quality. Meanwhile they spent 2 high picks to move up and grab a DE when we have one of the best in the league. Thank god Ireland is gone, but Dion Jordon should have been as well.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: July 28, 2014 05:08AM

Lets remember the defense is always ahead of the offense in training camp.

It has always been like that.

All i hope for this year is that tannehill can stay in one piece.

I like it that football season is here. But the Oline problems remain.

Date: July 29, 2014 03:31PM

We should get a decent lineman nex t season with a top 10 pick...

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: July 30, 2014 06:08AM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> We should get a decent lineman next season with a
> top 10 pick...

so you mean we will be bad then...

All this team needs is to fix the OLINE problems and they will be a good team.

They have the entire pre season and practices to do that...

I think it can be done.

A bunch of unknown played well last year right after martin and incognito left.

Im still hoping we can get it fixed before september...

One thing that worries me a lot is the center position....Pouncy might be back soon hopefully.

Shelly smith is a mess sam brenner is injured and i dont trust nate gardner although he has some experience.

Date: July 30, 2014 06:10AM

Retweeted by Rob Proffitt
Andrew Abramson ?@AbramsonPBP 11m
Dolphins DC Kevin Coyle says Koa Misi is working harder in offseason than almost any player he's ever been around

Retweet by Aqua and orange.

the reincarnation of zachattack?

Date: July 30, 2014 09:40AM

Date: July 31, 2014 04:59AM

Maybe wew ill improve after all....on todays practice:

Chris Perkins ?@chrisperk 1m
Good day for OL, even though they're mixing and matching 1st & 2nd teams. Good run game production & protecting QBs.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: July 31, 2014 11:31AM

and at least 2 more botched snaps.

6 straight days of that.

time to sign satele as a stopgap and move smith back to guard. garner and colledge are pure backups. keep them there. let Thomas and turner fight it out for RG.

do it now so they can build some continuity during the preseason.

Date: July 31, 2014 11:33AM

why they havent signed satele yet?

Beats me.....Satele has to be better than the mess we have at center right as we speak.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: July 31, 2014 12:30PM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> why they havent signed satele yet?
>
> Beats me.....Satele has to be better than the mess
> we have at center right as we speak.

Well Sam, my guess would be that Philbin is once again showing his stubborness. For some reason it is very difficult for him to make changes.

As was said in Salguerro's column, bring Satele in, let him start, and keep working with the other guys. If they can finally get the problem fixed, then let Satele go. What harm is there in doing so?

Philbin has to get it together, or there will be no doubt that he will be gone after this season.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: July 31, 2014 12:37PM

Careful, captkoi or holic will be after you.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: July 31, 2014 12:44PM

Cap, Satele had a pretty lousy year last year, he ranked 31 out of the 35 eligible ceners ranked last year.... I don't think it is foolish in trying to invest in one of your own guys with the coaching and snaps... Meaning you probably cut Satele after Pouncey comes back because he isn't going to play another position for you... Or you hopefully make one your own players better, more flexibility, and a better overall gain for your team in the long run...

If Satele was a top 20 center last year I would agree with you but, there is no proof that signing him would have given us anything then one of the worst centers in the league.. Not much upside in that IMO....

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: August 01, 2014 03:06AM

A couple points on the subject....

1. Hickey signs players, not JP. I'm sure he has a say in what he needs but the decision is on Hickey.

2. The Dolphins did work out Satele, evaluated him and decided he was not better than what was on the roster.

I will give them the benefit of the doubt over any evaluation I could give him from behind a keyboard.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: August 01, 2014 05:32AM

Be careful Joe and Crowder........common sense isn't allowed around these parts

Date: August 01, 2014 06:27AM

Chren what he meant i think was that if you want someone to give the benefit of the doubt to someone in the phins organization be it a player or coach or GM or whatever, then you have to do the same thing..

When you said that for you to give philbin a chance he had to beat everyone in the division, it seemed like a joke...

that it was never going to happen.

therefore joe philbin would always be in your doghouse.

Just my 2 cents..

PS> Not critisizing you or anyone. If the phins do not do good this year philbin is going to be in many fans doghouse as well.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: August 01, 2014 07:43AM

Did they say how long Brenner is out for? If I were Joe I would tell Hickey to go and get me a center I don't care if he is in a freaking wheel chair. This musical chair stuff is how we started last year. Guys swinging around the young guys can not focus on one spot, the unit cannot develop cohesion.

Date: August 01, 2014 08:06AM

I have been echoing the same sentiment. They really should get it figured out ASAP. The first PS game is one week from today.

First scrimmage is tomorrow morning. They will get a good look at those interior guys over the next week. The decision should come no later than next Sunday.

They have to identified the best 5. We already know who the tackles are going to be so they have to choose the best 3 between 4 players.

My questions:

Is Dallas Thomas really ready to start? How close is he to Daryn Colledge right now? If it is close then he needs to play to benefit us in the long run.

Or who is the best LG? If anyone is close (or better) than Colledge then they need to play right away. (We already know Garner is an adequate temporary replacement at center).

Who is the best & second best between Turner, Thomas and Smith? # 1 goes to LG, # 2 goes to RG.

I don't see how anyone would expect Colledge to be more than he has ever been. That means strong pass pro, below average run blocker. Are you going to tell me that one of the other 3 isn't a better prospect? I know Smith is a very good run blocker. I think Turner will be nasty player. But when?

I don't see Brenner as a solution this season. He was over-hyped last year IMO. Let's remember he was benched a few times. At one time he was benched from center in favor of Garner.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: August 01, 2014 08:45AM

I dont think they are ever going to stop rotating linemen in camp... They do it for many reasons, the reason that I heard the coaches talk about the other day was to get an honest evaluations of players... If they just go up against the same couple guys every snap from the exact same spot, it limits their evaluating ability.. Players know certain players moves, tells, tendencies.. They might be good at defending a couple guys because they get so much time to learn them... When they move them around they get alot of different competition in different scenarios which gives them a better evaluation of their strengths, weaknesses and consequently how to coach them up..... Now is the time to do it, we are only 3 days into practice with pads guys...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.