HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Tackling
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Tackling
Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: August 14, 2014 12:14PM

Dolphins working on tackling drills.

Uh, after 10+ years of playing tackle football, these guys have to practice tackling?

Oh, that's right, this is the NFL; no one knows how to tackle in this league.

Sorry, by bad! drinking smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tackling
Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: August 14, 2014 12:28PM

I hear ya in theory, but we had quite a bit of poor fundamentals and missed tackles in the run game last year... If we eliminated poor tackling last year, we are at least a ten win team...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: August 14, 2014 12:57PM

Guys are having to re-learn how to tackle:

- Don't hit high
- Don't hit low

etc....

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: August 15, 2014 06:11AM

a lot of these guys were bad asses growing up playing football. All they had to do was run over the dude with ball and they went down. Probably never had to learn how to tackle.

Date: August 16, 2014 03:19PM

montequi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Guys are having to re-learn how to tackle:
>
> - Don't hit high
> - Don't hit low
>
> etc....

Not necessarily, Monty.

Don't know how you were taught to tackle as a kid, but when I was coaching youth football, we never had them going for the head nor the knees, nor leading with their head.

Smack dab in the middle of the chest, when the opportunity was there. Otherwise, anywhere between the shoulders and the thighs.

Was a rare day, indeed, if any of the kids got hurt for NFL-type of tackles.

And I say again, I highly doubt that's how these guys were taught to tackle when they started out in football.

BTW, saw games yesterday where the WR was in the air to catch a pass and the defender took his legs out from under him. Necessary? Not in my opinion. Why go so low when the defender can run right at him and hit him square?

Date: August 16, 2014 10:11PM

Posted by: TannyDaMan ()
Date: August 17, 2014 05:27AM

Amen get him in to teach linebackers and tackling in general.

Date: August 17, 2014 11:43AM

Uhhhh....

Haven't seen the NFL Network replay yet, but from what I am reading, Miami is STILL having problems with the tackling.

Don't know what to say...these guys are pros and were spending a lot of time in last week's practice practicing tackling.

My, my, my.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: August 17, 2014 11:49AM

Cap- the secondary had tackling problems in the first half... The linebackers just seemed to be moving backwards and sideways rather then attacking... The LBs' seemed to be playing far off the line hopefully that was just a preseason base defensive decision... But because of that Misi seemed the last guy to get to the rb on the majority of the run plays I saw... I am concerned about our LB corp especially in the run game... Wheeler had a big hit but didn't wrap up.. Thought the hit would knock the guy out, it was big, but the guy stayed on his feet...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.