HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Peter Kings MMQB about his Dolphins training camp visit
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Peter Kings MMQB about his Dolphins training camp visit
Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: August 03, 2014 08:20AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Peter Kings MMQB about his Dolphins training camp visit
Date: August 03, 2014 12:59PM

I don't get why so many here are down and out already on the team. Looks like they are trying new stuff. Rome wasn't built in a day.....

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: August 03, 2014 01:16PM

I am not down and out on the team Treasure... I like our new O-cordinator, I like the progress I saw in Tannehill last year.. I like that we got a new LT and drafted a RT. I like our secondaries chances, with Grimes and the 2 young kids Taylor, Davis and the wildcard of Finnegan whether we over paid for him or not. I think the strongest part of our team now is our WRs, which is a great turn around in a couple years. I think Charles Clay really came out of his shell last year at TE...

I could say to you, I can't believe you are so down on Dion Jordan. Rome wasn't built in a day... Look we are talking about our team, while I like a lot of things, there still remain many questions of how different aspects will all come together... and that is what we talk about around here...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: August 03, 2014 01:29PM

Date: August 03, 2014 01:40PM

Sorry Crowder, I was speaking in general terms. Didn't mean to imply you are down and out on the team . Some of the other posts here throwing ourseason down the toilet already make me laugh.

As far as Dion Jordan goes I am not down On the kid. He probably will be great. but are we in a position 2 groom a Defensive end when we have such depth there? When our oline is a shambles? Reminds me of when we were grabbing punt returners in the first round when we didn't have a QB. The suspension just added salt to the wound.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: August 03, 2014 02:13PM

Treasure- I feel your pain on the suspension... What does make me a little nervous, is we have a tough opening schedule and we will be without (2) 1st rd picks in Pouncey and Jordan for that run...

Chyren- we all get rubbed the wrong way at times from different members but IMO, it is best to just move past it and not get hung up.. IMO the best way to conduct yourself in a setting like this is through the Rogerian argument theory rather then a classical or divisive argument theory... It seems much more productive and the community has more to gain... Don't get me wrong I have my own shortcomings on this at times as well..

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: August 03, 2014 05:42PM

I can certainly understand pouncey. But we didn't really have Jordan last year either. Man. Can you imagine how much better we would be if they used those 1st and second rounders on O linmen ?

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: August 04, 2014 10:18AM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can certainly understand pouncey. But we didn't
> really have Jordan last year either. Man. Can you
> imagine how much better we would be if they used
> those 1st and second rounders on O linmen ?

I understand what you are saying, Treasure, and tho I don't remember the name of the third OL taken in last year's draft, the second round may have had decent OL available, but sure starters?

Of course, Miami's pick of DB Taylor hasn't worked out too well, so far, as injuries pretty much derailed his season, as did Jordan's shoulder injury.

Taylor has a great chance to make it happen this season, but Jordan is going to have to wait. Even when he returns, it is probably going to take him a couple of games to get back into rhythm, but in the mean time, hopefully Vernon is playing like he did last year.

Jordan is a Miami Dolphin, so we can't lament on what could have been.

Date: August 04, 2014 01:08PM

> **************************************************
>
>
> Jordan is a Miami Dolphin, so we can't lament on
> what could have been.

From that perspective I completely agree and hope to hell he turns out even better then JT. But damn he is a ultra expensive risk. One that this Team didn't need to take with a player like Cam Wake on the roster.

Our oline needs so much help. I just don't get it.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: August 04, 2014 03:03PM

Treasure- who would you rather have had us pick.. Lane Johnson went number 4, he is also suspended for the first 4 games this year for PEDs, and only played RT and didn't blow anyone away with his play...

We were able to sign a pretty talented LT in Albert and drafted a RT this year in the first rd.. While it hurt as last year not having a LT, one year later, the pass rushing position and athletic ability/upside of Jordan makes me pretty happy...

Nietzsche

Date: August 04, 2014 05:53PM

To Irelands credit he didn't know that Martin was going to go crazy and we would lose 2 starting linemen. But before this draft we were offered a 2nd rounder and a player. With another second rounder we might have been able to move up and get Zach Martin and still get James in a later round. Lots of options, but I know since the moment we moved up this was a mistake for us. Too many other holes to fill to get the one position we are elite at. It's like the Colts moving up to score a first round QB with Luck starting. Makes no sense.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: August 05, 2014 05:09AM

We did well with the signing of LT Albert and the right tackle rookie still hoping he can become good. Ive heard some good things about him so far in training camp.

Once we get pouncey back we will be ok...Hoping sattelle can handle the job for a couple of games at center.

Its just the guards that worry me a bit.

Can't wait until friday. I can't believe its football season.

Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: August 05, 2014 05:20AM

Let me help you beat this dead horse. smiling smiley

It was a 2nd round pick from a playoff team (closer to 3rd rounder most likely) and a backup 3-4 ROLB.

So trade the 12th and 42nd pick (or 3rd OA) for a 90 and guy who would be a backup in Miami and who is also a misfit in a 4-3 deffense? A 6'1 4-3 DE. There are a few that size who are good but he would be the exception, not the rule.

You criticize Miami for giving up too much for Jordan but we traded 1680 points for 2200 points of value. That's a net of 520 points or the 38th overall pick. So we basically got Jordan and a 2nd rounder for our picks.

From the look of it, there were NO tackles worthy of trading up for in 2013.

There is no guarantee that James would have been there at 50 this year. Did you notice that AZ traded down as soon as we picked him? They were in need of a RT. Just because Mike Mayock and Mel Kiper had him ranked lower doesn't mean that NFL teams did as well.

Not to mention, in that scenario we miss out on Jarvis Landry.

Jordan is going to be a stud this year IMO. You don't pass on Andrew Luck just because you have an aging Peyton Manning on your team and a need for a tackle. BPA all day.

I think it worked out ok in the end.

1. We have our franchise LT and did not give up picks to get a tackle (in the weak 2013 tackle class) who would have been a mid to late round pick had they been in the 2014 draft.

2. We have a RT who by many reports and scouting projections will be an instant starter at RT.

3. The failure of Ireland's injured draft class of 2013 let us get rid of the fool once and for all.

4. We have a pass rusher who can fill the gap when Wake retires as well as provide us with an alternative/rotational rush weapon/TE-RB coverer in the mean time.

5. We have 3-4 guards who are looking pretty good.

6. We have a GM who is not a hated ass clown and who looks to have some common sense about him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2014 05:21AM by JoeFootball.

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: August 05, 2014 06:07AM

not a fair comparison. Wake has 4-5 good years left at time of Jordan pick, not to mention Jordan was injured.

In the case of Luck and Payton, no one really had any idea Payton would ever be able to even throw a football again.

Date: August 05, 2014 06:30AM

Nobody knows how much Wake had left. He was 31 at the time. Not to mention they had NO idea that Vernon would be so improved. It was a need position at the time.

Peyton was 36 years old and he was due 28 mil roster bonus. Luck, a "sure thing" there for the taking. No-brainer

"There wouldn't have been a Robert Mathis or a Reggie Wayne," Irsay insisted. "There was no way we could have put (Manning) on the field with the type of team we would have fielded."

They simply could not afford to pay Manning and field a good team.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2014 06:31AM by JoeFootball.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: August 05, 2014 08:50AM

dolphin Wrote:
> not a fair comparison. Wake has 4-5 good years
> left at time of Jordan pick, not to mention Jordan
> was injured.
>
> In the case of Luck and Payton, no one really had
> any idea Payton would ever be able to even throw a
> football again.

It's absolutely a fair comparison.

Wake was our ONLY proven pass rusher. Vernon was a project and Shelby an undrafted fa who had done nothing.

Forget wakes age when we made the move for Jordan. Just look at our ANEMIC pass rush when he wasn't on the field in 2012.

Date: August 05, 2014 08:52AM

He's trolling as usual...in multiple threads.

Date: August 05, 2014 05:41PM

Date: August 06, 2014 04:15AM

Date: August 06, 2014 06:02AM

Date: August 06, 2014 11:35AM

It's not MY Ferrari. It's OUR Ferrari.

Let's revisit around week 8!

Date: August 06, 2014 12:37PM

JoeFootball Wrote:
> It's not MY Ferrari. It's OUR Ferrari.
>
> Let's revisit around week 8!

True. AND I want a big I told you so! But I just don't feel good about this line. Tomorrow night might relive some doubts though. You got change for the bus?

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: August 07, 2014 04:06AM

It is a young line (at least two spots) but they would really have to try REALLY HARD to be worse than...

Jon Martin, Incognito, Pouncey, John Jerry, Tyson Clabo

or

Bryant McKinnie, Nate Garner, Pouncey, Jerry, Clabo

These guys were trying to run a zone blocking scheme without using cut blocking....because they were to large and not athletic.

I'm not all that worried. Two Pro Bowlers (a few games in), a vet LG, a couple 3rd round picks competing for RG, a 1st round rookie RT that started 49 games at RT in the SEC, an offense that is predicated on getting rid of the ball quickly, an athletic QB running the read option on occasion....looking forward to seeing it. Unfortunately we won't see much until the season starts. Certainly not in tomorrow's game.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.