HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Jersey Sales
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Jersey Sales
Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: July 21, 2014 08:43AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Jersey Sales
Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: July 21, 2014 12:05PM

Pretty sure Tony Dungy hasn't purchased one........

Date: July 21, 2014 05:55PM

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: July 22, 2014 02:42AM

Yeah there would be a big up roar if Rex made the comment. Rex is a standing head coach with a reputation as a loudmouth. Dungy is a commentator and when he was a HC he was very calm and level headed.

Date: July 22, 2014 03:50AM

Eh, to me it's a homophobic comment made by a deeply religious person. IMO Rex (any active HC) would have more of a right to make that comment then Dungy.

Date: July 22, 2014 04:07AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Eh, to me it's a homophobic comment made by a
> deeply religious person. IMO Rex (any active HC)
> would have more of a right to make that comment
> then Dungy.

I agree completely. It's one thing for a HC to say he doesn't want the distraction. It's another for an analyst, and a black one at that, to go there.

Dungy is usually a very fair person. You could be right about the religious reasons for the comments.

I'd love for a reporter to ask him where he'd be now if Branch Rickey and others had decided that having professional black athletes wasn't worth the media and fan shitstorm that signing them would create.

Date: July 22, 2014 06:06AM

Everyone has the right to say anything its not about that. A standing HC imho would be wary to speakout negatively on the topic w/ so much pressure coming from the press to accept homosexuality these days. An analyst is a member of the press and has more freedom to speakout on issues. Dungy being black means nothing. That's another debate. His religion does not think homosexuality is right so why should he not be able to express his views?

Date: July 22, 2014 07:44AM

mizzou15 Wrote:
> Everyone has the right to say anything its not
> about that.

Nobody is saying he doesn't have the right to his opinion or to express it.

Just that his opinion is wrong and more than a little hypocritical.

>A standing HC imho would be wary to
> speakout negatively on the topic w/ so much
> pressure coming from the press to accept
> homosexuality these days.

Could be. I think the HC is the one more likely to not want any player around who could make it harder for him to get his players to stay focused on the task at hand or even disrupt team chemistry.

>An analyst is a member
> of the press and has more freedom to speakout on
> issues.

True. They don't have to worry about managing a team. Plus they get paid to give opinions.

>Dungy being black means nothing. That's
> another debate.

Actually it's just another example of discrimination. From day one people used religious texts and beliefs to justify slavery in this country. To believe it's acceptable to treat them differently because God says it's OK.

That's the problem with religion. It's generally inflexible and doesn't allow for the possibility it could be wrong.

That's why using religious views as a reason to discriminate rubs so many Americans the wrong way. It suggests that one set of religious views/rules is any more valid that any other.

>His religion does not think
> homosexuality is right so why should he not be
> able to express his views?

Again, who said he shouldn't express those views?

He has every right to think and say whatever he wants. And everyone else has the right to agree with his narrow religious position on the issue, or to disagree and to not only express that opinion but to point out the absurd hypocrisy of his position.

Free speech isn't a one way street mizzou.

He has the right to say what he wants on this topic. He should also have the expectation that others will express that very same right by responding to his comments.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2014 07:48AM by THE Truth.

Date: July 22, 2014 08:21AM

You are right truth. On the last point I would think Dungy would have any problem excercising the right to respond to his comments. I respect Dungy he did not start this conversation but added his two cents. Quite a few folks don't want to hear the counter points on this issue.

Date: July 22, 2014 08:33AM

Dungy gets away with saying what he did because he is African American. A Minority as well. Sorry. Buts that's the way it is. No one said it was fair, but it is what it is. That Said I think Dungy is a good man , and man of honor and principal. But he is African American and that gives him a platform to say things without backlash as long as they are not too far out of line.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: July 22, 2014 08:39AM

Date: July 22, 2014 08:56AM

Dungy gets away w/ what he say because he is a well respected man of honour and principle. Being African American is not the reason. If dumb *** African American like Barkley or Adam West or Jesse Jackson there would be more flak. Sorry TCP no one is giving Dungy a pass on skin color. The flak imo is measured by the size of the ahole. When I saw this comment from Dungy his being black did not enter my mind. I knew some folks here would like to race bait and throw him out there like that to start the blacks get special treatment link started.

I hate that **** on this site. Sorry but that's the way it is w/ me. Plus this sh** is not Dolphin related.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: July 22, 2014 10:33AM

It's football related though. From a standpoint of hassle, one can see Dungy's point. But however, as someone pointed out, given how hard it was FOR HIM to get the first head coaching job, and then again, thinking back on Jackie Robinson, one would THINK that these thoughts would have tied his tongue before he spoke and he would have thought about those two things before letting his mouth run away.

But again, from a hassle standpoint and the team unity, you can view the whole matter only in that light. Let's say, for instance, Michael Sam had just been released from prison for a controversial crime and some opinion felt he should be given a second chance and other opinion felt otherwise. A coach would just as soon avoid the hassle. But this wasn't crime, it was status and all of those other considerations come into play.

Date: July 22, 2014 11:34AM

You can believe what you wish. But if our coach made that statement he would be getting ass raped about now. (No pun intended). Dungey gets a pass because he is also a minority. The press can't sensationlize It. That's just the way it is. Like it or dont. It's not e g at you say but who is saying it .

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: July 22, 2014 12:01PM

Date: July 22, 2014 12:09PM

Fair enough Chyrene.
Coach dung gets away with more because he is black. The press can't sensationlize his statements like they could from a white coach.that's the PC society we live in that's run by the media.they decide what gets a big deal made of what.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: JC ()
Date: July 22, 2014 04:18PM

Posted by: JC ()
Date: July 22, 2014 04:23PM

Date: July 22, 2014 04:26PM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> Fair enough Chyrene.
> Coach dung gets away with more because he is
> black.

LOL. I said the exact opposite. That he is getting grief BECAUSE he is Black and he said it. Didn't you read the quote I included?

Just whose post were you responding to???????

Date: July 22, 2014 04:58PM

JC Wrote:
> mizzou15 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > If dumb *** African American like Barkley or
> Adam West...
>
>
> Adam West is African American? Holy race-bating,
> Batman!

lol...I think he meant Allen West....but that was a funny typo.

Date: July 22, 2014 09:40PM

JC Wrote:
> mizzou15 Wrote:
> -----
> > If dumb *** African American like Barkley or
> Adam West...
>
>
> Adam West is African American? Holy race-bating,
> Batman!

LOL! Good one. thumbs up

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: July 22, 2014 09:45PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> -----
> > Fair enough Chyrene.
> > Coach dung gets away with more because he is
> > black.
>
> LOL. I said the exact opposite. That he is
> getting grief BECAUSE he is Black and he said it.
> Didn't you read the quote I included?
>
> Just whose post were you responding to???????

Yours. I think that certain people get breaks in the media because they simply choose not to sensationalize it.

Look at what they did with the Incognito thing last year. It was blown up because the media knew they could. Dungy is just not going to instill anger and disgust in anyone no matter what he says. So the Press lets him off the hook. If they feel they can skewer a guy , like a Rex Ryan , they will. he needs to keep his mouth shut and he knows it.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: July 23, 2014 01:49PM

So what you're saying is that Dungy is getting LESS slack than he would if he were not Black although you admit that he is getting some slack.

The Rex Ryan comment is true but the reality is that if a guy is known to be a clown, he'll get flak even if he just recites the Lord's Prayer.

It comes under the category of "press people on a slow news day gotta eat too."

Date: July 24, 2014 05:18AM

I agree pretty much with all that.Dungey is a good man though.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.