HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          After Hiring Hickey,
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
After Hiring Hickey,
Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: January 26, 2014 10:58AM

Ross needs to hire the best PR person on the planet. I hope Hickey turns out to be a talent evaluating genius and I'll be the first to admit I have no idea how successful he'll be, but could the hiring process have been handled any worse? By my count, except for Gaine, Hickey was the only person they interviewed that didn't turn down the job. That is incredibly sad for a once proud franchise that boasts a history of 17-0, Don Shula, and Dan Marino. I guess I'll just myopically focus on the fact that Jeff Ireland is gone. That's really all that's left to me right now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: After Hiring Hickey,
Posted by: Ken ()
Date: January 26, 2014 12:34PM

Dennis Hickey will have final say over the draft, free agency and the 53-man roster.

The general manager can overrule Philbin on those matters.

The general manager reports only to Ross.

"It's up to Dennis," a club source insisted.

The one thing not up to Hickey will be having a say over Philbin's future. On that, only Ross has that say. And clearly right now he's committed to the head coach.

Posted by Armando Salguero

This is exactly the power a GM should have...the other candidates were just being ass hats about things...being able to scrap everything and start over is NOT what the team needed despite the ideas of others. Hickey was never my choice but you gotta hire someone. Let's all hope it works out this time. I for one am getting very tired of the front office turnovers we've had to endure over the past decade.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2014 12:55PM by Ken.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: January 26, 2014 12:50PM

Saw Salguero report neither dawson and cesario are GM is because they wanted to fire philbin

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: January 26, 2014 12:56PM

Ken you better put down that koolaid because it appears to be laced with a very potent mind altering substance

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 26, 2014 01:05PM

jlyell13 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Saw Salguero report neither dawson and cesario are
> GM is because they wanted to fire philbin

If someone who KNEW the answer by being there put a gun to my head and said that I have to say one way or another and he'd shoot me if I was wrong, and thus I'd have to bet my life on it without knowing, I'd say this is 100% correct.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: January 26, 2014 01:05PM

Ken Wrote:

>
> This is exactly the power a GM should have

Couldn't disagree more. I hope it works out, but you are asking a GM to pick players for, and tie his career to, someone a know nothing owner picked for him.

I'd by lying if I said I was optimistic it was going to end well.

>...the
> other candidates were just being ass hats about
> things...

No, they were actually being sensible. They wanted control over who they were tying their career to and there weren't willing to pull the trigger on what is likely their one shot at being a GM if they were going to be saddled with an average HC they didn't want.

What you got with Hickey was the guy was so desperate for the gig that he was willing to do whatever he was asked.

> being able to scrap everything and start
> over is NOT what the team needed despite the ideas
> of others.

We scrapped everything and started over when we fired Ireland. Now we are just doing the scrapping in stages.

> Hickey was never my choice but you
> gotta hire someone.

We'll you got that...someone. In fact the 7th someone on our list of someones...

> Let's all hope it works out
> this time. I for one am getting very tired of the
> front office turnovers we've had to endure over
> the past decade.

That sure would be nice.

Not sure how that happens though with a so-so HC and a GM we had to beg to take the job.

Date: January 26, 2014 01:37PM

the only appropriate response to the goings on that led to this hire, and the hire itself, is disgust

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: January 26, 2014 01:52PM

Desperation, seems like the only one that would take the job

Date: January 26, 2014 02:14PM

The animals decided that they wanted a judge and went to the Lion. The Lion declined stating that he was so brutal, he would hand out death for the slightest infraction.

They then went to the elephant but the elephant also declined stating that he was so soft-hearted that he would not be able to punish the worst criminal.

They then went to the Owl but the Owl said, "I see complexities in the simplest matters. It would take me years to render a decision in the most ordinary of cases."

But then the Donkey stepped forward, He said, "Choose me. I am neither strong, kind or wise."

The animals felt that there was something "not quite right" about the Donkey's argument but having no alternative, elected him Judge.

However, once in office, he cared nothing about his duties but only the trappings of his office and the respect he felt due to him.

The animals soon became tired of him and threw him out of office and the only one who agreed to replace him was the Monkey, who felt that it would be fun to meddle in the affairs of others.

However, his judgments were so mischievous that they threw him out of office and reinstalled the donkey.

and they went on in this manner from one to the other replacing when they were freshly outraged by the actions of either the Donkey or the Monkey.

Sparano then Philbin ....

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: January 26, 2014 02:21PM

What a headline! "Ross Gives Dolphin Fans a Hickey". Scary!

It's a good thing we don't need a DE. Bucs couldn't identify one if they had to...

I will freak out if they draft a DE from Clemson.

I must admit they have found more stud players than Jeff Ireland.

Gerald McCoy is probably the best 3-tech in the league.
Lavonte David is one of the best LB'ers.

Maybe he can find us a DT and a LB'er.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: January 26, 2014 02:43PM

what a nightmare

Date: January 26, 2014 02:48PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> Ken you better put down that koolaid because it
> appears to be laced with a very potent mind
> altering substance

RE: I get it, but you have to have optimism...either that, or stop being a fan.

The latter is NOT going to happen.

Date: January 26, 2014 03:17PM

THE Truth Wrote:
> Ken Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> >
> > This is exactly the power a GM should have
>
> Couldn't disagree more. I hope it works out, but
> you are asking a GM to pick players for, and tie
> his career to, someone a know nothing owner picked
> for him.

RE: I get what you (and others) are saying but MOST GM's regardless of who they are when they get hired want to scrap all vestiges of the previous regeme and start everything over from scratch...I just don't think thats always the best course of action and I certainly don't think that's appropriate in our case. Just because it's the norm in the NFL does not mean that it's right.
>
> I'd by lying if I said I was optimistic it was
> going to end well.
>
>
> >...the
> > other candidates were just being ass hats about
> > things...
>
>
> No, they were actually being sensible. They
> wanted control over who they were tying their
> career to and there weren't willing to pull the
> trigger on what is likely their one shot at being
> a GM if they were going to be saddled with an
> average HC they didn't want.

RE: In the NFL there are only a handfull of above average coaches...the rest of them are average...the difference depends on the players they have under them. The ones who get to be above average were often times bad to poor in thier first HC gig so who knows. Even the HOF guy in NE right now...SUCKED in Cleveland. Any guy that dosen't want the job is a guy I didn't want to have it anyway. Either step up to the challenge or go away. I don't like cowards that won't step up. You are not alwats in control of your circumstances...sometimes you have to accept that and just knock the ball out of the park anyway.
>
> What you got with Hickey was the guy was so
> desperate for the gig that he was willing to do
> whatever he was asked.

RE: Maybe so...it does seem to be that way right now. We'll see how it really is in August.
>
>
>
> > being able to scrap everything and start
> > over is NOT what the team needed despite the
> ideas
> > of others.
>
>
> We scrapped everything and started over when we
> fired Ireland. Now we are just doing the
> scrapping in stages.

RE: Disagree...the team has talent in its coaches and players. We just need to add the right pieces to agument that talent and get everything moving forward again...we'll see if Ross is right or not soon enough. I do agree that the whole thing is frustrating and disheartening though. But what are we gonna do, quit...not me. Not me, even if we do F this up again, and again, and again, etc.
>
>
> > Hickey was never my choice but you
> > gotta hire someone.
>
> We'll you got that...someone. In fact the 7th
> someone on our list of someones...

RE: Or eighth depending on how you count.
>
>
>
> > Let's all hope it works out
> > this time. I for one am getting very tired of
> the
> > front office turnovers we've had to endure over
> > the past decade.
>
>
> That sure would be nice.
>
> Not sure how that happens though with a so-so HC
> and a GM we had to beg to take the job.

RE: It sure would be, wouldn't it?

Date: January 26, 2014 03:22PM

Thankfully we have Ryan Tanehill or I may have had to step away from NFL football altogether.

Whats next? A NFL Pro Bowl with no NFC vs AFC anymore? That would never happen though. How stupid.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: January 26, 2014 03:41PM

Ken Wrote:

>
> RE: I get what you (and others) are saying but
> MOST GM's regardless of who they are when they get
> hired want to scrap all vestiges of the previous
> regeme and start everything over from scratch...I
> just don't think thats always the best course of
> action and I certainly don't think that's
> appropriate in our case. Just because it's the
> norm in the NFL does not mean that it's right.

If you build a house on a crap foundation you get a crappy house.

Once you figure out that your foundation is flawed you have to tear it down and start over.

>
> RE: In the NFL there are only a handfull of above
> average coaches...the rest of them are
> average...the difference depends on the players
> they have under them. The ones who get to be above
> average were often times bad to poor in thier
> first HC gig so who knows. Even the HOF guy in NE
> right now...SUCKED in Cleveland. Any guy that
> dosen't want the job is a guy I didn't want to
> have it anyway. Either step up to the challenge or
> go away. I don't like cowards that won't step up.
> You are not alwats in control of your
> circumstances...sometimes you have to accept that
> and just knock the ball out of the park anyway.

Why should a guy who has worked his whole life to get a shot at one of 32 jobs on the entire planet at the top of his chose field take a situation where he is set up to fail?

They aren't "cowards". They are smart, patient, practical professionals. You know...the kind of smart, patient, practical professionals that you'd want to run an NFL franchise.

> >
> > What you got with Hickey was the guy was so
> > desperate for the gig that he was willing to do
> > whatever he was asked.
>
> RE: Maybe so...it does seem to be that way right
> now. We'll see how it really is in August.

Sure. It might work out. Anything is possible. As you said before, having elite players makes that easier.

Maybe Hickey finds enough to make it work for him and Philbin.

My fingers are crossed.

> RE: Disagree...the team has talent in its coaches
> and players. We just need to add the right pieces
> to agument that talent and get everything moving
> forward again...we'll see if Ross is right or not
> soon enough. I do agree that the whole thing is
> frustrating and disheartening though. But what are
> we gonna do, quit...not me. Not me, even if we do
> F this up again, and again, and again, etc.

We could have done that AND hired an elite GM.

We chose to hire a weak GM because we didn't want a GM calling the shots on the coaching staff.

We could have had any of the top GM's if we'd told them that Philbin reports to them, and they can do whatever they want with the staff next off season if we don't make the playoffs this year.

Instead we chose to go with an absurd front office model that has 3 equal but separate "partners".

> >

> >
> >
> > > Let's all hope it works out
> > > this time. I for one am getting very tired of
> > the
> > > front office turnovers we've had to endure
> over
> > > the past decade.
> >
> >
> > That sure would be nice.
> >
> > Not sure how that happens though with a so-so
> HC
> > and a GM we had to beg to take the job.
>
>
> RE: It sure would be, wouldn't it?

Yes it would. Because its not like I'm going to root for another team. I'll just eventually lose interest if it keeps on like this.

Date: January 26, 2014 04:01PM

I guess it appears safe to conclude that a major factor in us not being able to hire GMs who turned us down was the lack of power offered including at least, if not limited to, accepting the pre existing head coach Philbin.

Since it's all water under the bridge now, we'll just have to see next season.

BTW did someone say that Ireland would not get the players recommended by Philbin?

If that was true, I'd side with Philbin. As I have said, the Head Coach is the cook and in this sense the general manager is the shopper.

They should agree on the groceries if possible but the last say should be with the coach. After all, he has to play these guys.

Date: January 26, 2014 05:07PM

Fins72 Wrote:
> Ross needs to hire the best PR person on the
> planet. I hope Hickey turns out to be a talent
> evaluating genius and I'll be the first to admit I
> have no idea how successful he'll be, but could
> the hiring process have been handled any worse? By
> my count, except for Gaine, Hickey was the only
> person they interviewed that didn't turn down the
> job. That is incredibly sad for a once proud
> franchise that boasts a history of 17-0, Don
> Shula, and Dan Marino. I guess I'll just
> myopically focus on the fact that Jeff Ireland is
> gone. That's really all that's left to me right
> now.

RE: Agreed, Ross does need a really good PR guy...wins would be a great cure all as well.

I see Hickey's job this season to be fairly easy...

1. Add the right one or two F/A players to solidify the O-Line, and another two or three other F/A's, to solidify other areas of the team. These guys would assist our present guys in leading, and setting the example by making positive plays.

2. Take an already young and (I believe) talented roster, and add the right three or four rookies to be future impact players and push our present guys for playing time. It'll be a great bonus if one or two of them can start right away.

3. Keep costs in line so we don't have a massive failure in future seasons cap wise.

Sounds really easy when you break it down like that dosen't it? LOL.

Date: January 27, 2014 03:45AM

None of the GM candidates had as much college experience as Hickey. None of them derserved full control. Not the NE guy, Not Tom Gamble...

Perhaps we could have interviewed better candidates had they offered full control but it is what it is...

Hickey offers the same value/potential as any other candidate that we interviewed. The fact is he (and all the others) are an unknown commodity. We don't know how much involvement they had in the selection of their respective teams star players. We have no idea of the involvement in the moves that didn't work out...because none of them had full control.

Hickey will need to do something that Jeff Ireland failed to do (for the most part)....DRAFT star players....and do it outside of the first round.

All the media say Caserio was the top option but the FACT is he was an uncertainty. A few years back the next NE golden boy was supposed to go into KC and build another dynasty. Pioli is now an sports analyst.

I can't wait to see what happens. I have no reason not to be optimistic. I may be back here freakin gout in 4 months but I'll have to give him the benefit of the doubt. Maybe we all get lucky and he makes the rest of the NFL (especially the Bucs) look like fools. That wouldn't be the first time. They have a habit of firing people that most teams would kill to have.

.....................................................................................

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: January 27, 2014 04:21AM

I agree eesti, I'm giving it a "wait and see" approach before I get too wound up. Like I said in another post, March 11th will tell us all a huge story,

Date: January 27, 2014 04:43AM

Date: January 27, 2014 04:55AM

I agree about the QB.

I am still impressed with Tannehill even though we dropped two winnable games at years end.

One thing I want to see from him in 2014 is more "fire" and a huge step in leadership. He has improved and has shown the desire to work hard. I think he makes a major jump in year 3 and will benefit greatly by having a new OC. Being under Sherman for so long made him stagnant (and boring) IMO.

He hasn't even had the benefit of playing behing a dominant LT yet let alone a dominant line.

Hopefully the new LB coach is a blessing for our underachieving LB's as well.

Date: January 27, 2014 06:02AM

Agree on the lack of a playing behind a NFL quality LT. My concern with Tannehill is the seeming inability to hit the long ball. In all honesty, Mike Wallace has really played the good soldier because he could have had a huge year statistically had Tannehill been able to hit him on the numerous occasions when he got behind the defense. Hopefully, that's something that can be worked on in the offseason.

Date: January 27, 2014 10:20AM

At least they are already talking about doing it....working on the long ball. I believe both want to be great.

Date: January 27, 2014 10:56AM

I'd agree.

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: January 27, 2014 01:21PM

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: January 27, 2014 01:25PM

caserio was one of the lowest paid front office types in the league. he leveraged the phins for a raise.

his camp leaked that info to save face and to get future interviews.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: January 27, 2014 01:32PM

jlyell13 Wrote:
> Saw Salguero report neither dawson and cesario are
> GM is because they wanted to fire philbin

Or wanted the power to do so if the 2014 season didn't go well.

Posted by: gofins60 ()
Date: January 28, 2014 03:25AM

Fins72 Wrote:
> Agree on the lack of a playing behind a NFL
> quality LT. My concern with Tannehill is the
> seeming inability to hit the long ball. In all
> honesty, Mike Wallace has really played the good
> soldier because he could have had a huge year
> statistically had Tannehill been able to hit him
> on the numerous occasions when he got behind the
> defense. Hopefully, that's something that can be
> worked on in the offseason.

If Tannehill can't figure out how to hit Wallace (hopefully in stride) when he gets past the defense, then he's not the QB for this team. Most QBs can make those throws.

Date: January 28, 2014 04:34AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.