HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Here's how Ross' Press Conference will go:
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Here's how Ross' Press Conference will go:
Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: January 24, 2014 02:45AM

"After a long and in-depth, extensive, and grueling process where we interviewed the best candidates in the NFL, we determined that the best guy for the job was already in house. Please welcome your new General Manager..... Brian Gaine"

Thats the load of crap that Ross is going to sell us. This franchise is an utter disaster where the insane are running the asylum.

The elite candidates wouldnt even give us an interview...now we are being turned away by the B & C candidates.

Ross needs to sell this team. A once proud franchise is now in shambles.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Here's how Ross' Press Conference will go:
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: January 24, 2014 03:06AM

Didn't we get that same conference from heizenga when the promoted speilman after interviewing Ted Thompson, the guy who became the giants gm, and others?
I never thought we'd sink that low again but this is so much worse. At least those other people back then wanted the job instead of staying in a lower position with a different team

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: January 24, 2014 03:24AM

It's not Jeff Ireland so at least it's a step up. Just think of Gaine as being a fly on the wall over the last 6 years. He saw who made what mistakes and what not to do. He knows what's right with the organization and what's wrong, hopefully.

(Also, he doesn't have a face that you want to stomp, ala Ireland)

I have no choice but to hope for the best as I'm not going anywhere. It may turn out to be a blessing in disguise. If he can take a logical approach to repairing the levee, we'll be fine.

He also pushed to bring in, what turned out to be our best player...Cam Wake.

Sometimes a person in that position has to sit by and watch all the ridiculousness, all the while knowing mistakes are being made. It doesn't necessarily make them guilty.

Lessons that should have been learned from watching Ireland operate....

1. Don't sign a player and expect him to, all of the sudden be something he has never been....healthy, a star, etc. In other words don't sign one year wonder players and expect them to be All Pro's! Don't sign a player who has missed half the games in his career and expect him to be durable!

2. Don't give huge contracts to unproven players. If you refuse to do it for your own players, don't expect a new guy to live up to the contract. (Wheeler and Ellerbe). You can't pay Starks, Solia, Clemons but you can sign two LB's to huge overpriced contracts?

3. Don't keep players on the roster who never develop. Will Yaetman, Nate Garner, RJ Sanford, Austin Spitler, Daniel Thomas, Lamar Miller, etc.

4. Act like a professional and don't disrespect anyone! Word gets around and nobody will want to play for you.

5. Don't neglect a position of weakness and build on a position of strength.

6. If you are unsure about a player and have no clue what a superstar is then trust the football people who evaluate them. Bringing in superstar players should be your number one objective.

Just to name a few....

And remember that most people say Gaine is a Parcel's protege. NOT a Jeff Ireland protege. Surely there are some valuable lessons there.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2014 03:26AM by eesti.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: January 24, 2014 03:34AM

eesti Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's not Jeff Ireland so at least it's a step up.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Are we positive it's going to be a step up though?

Its an honest question.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: January 24, 2014 03:49AM

There is no way we (as fans) can be positive. All I know is I just watched Ireland make some serious BAD DECISIONS....and illogical. Time after time.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt for far too long. Right up until about mid-season this year. He failed and now we have a full body of work to evaluate.

It would be very difficult for the next guy to make such stupid choices.

I am not impressed with Ray Farmer and would take Gaines resume over his any day. Lake Dawson hasn't done much either.

.....................................................................................

Posted by: cshashaty ()
Date: January 24, 2014 03:50AM

I, for one, am not going to judge our new GM at their opening presser. I judge based on the work they'll do, and the results they get. Brian Gaine is his own man, and if he is the choice then I'll wish him the best and EXPECT the best from him.

Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: January 24, 2014 04:01AM

I have no idea what Gaines' position was on moving up to draft Dion Jordan, drafting Jonathan Martin, deciding to go with Martin at left tackle, signing Wheeler and Ellerbe, etc... so I can't necessarily say that he's a step up or a lateral move (hard to imagine anything being a step down from the glorified ball boy we has running or more accurately ruining the franchise). All of that said, the average fan is going to be pissed off at Ross for going through the machinations of a talent search for GM and ending up with Ireland's right hand man. When it comes to PR, Ross just doesn't seem to get it. I guess expecting a billionaire to understand what the average fan thinks and feels is a stretch.

Date: January 24, 2014 04:04AM

Fins72 Wrote:
> I guess expecting a
> billionaire to understand what the average fan
> thinks and feels is a stretch.

You assume he cares what we think. Believe me, he does not. His view is simple: build a winner, and everyone will be happy.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: January 24, 2014 04:06AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> "After a long and in-depth, extensive, and
> grueling process where we interviewed the best
> candidates in the NFL, we determined that the best
> guy for the job was already in house. Please
> welcome your new General Manager..... Brian
> Gaine"
>
>
>
> Thats the load of crap that Ross is going to sell
> us. This franchise is an utter disaster where the
> insane are running the asylum.
>
> The elite candidates wouldnt even give us an
> interview...now we are being turned away by the B
> & C candidates.
>
> Ross needs to sell this team. A once proud
> franchise is now in shambles.

He doesn't need to sell the team. Not yet any way.

He needs to learn from his mistakes and evolve as an owner.

Having gone through this experience of trying to build a front office with a GM & HC & business director, all with equal power, he needs to realize this isn't the way to do it next year when he has to fire Philbin.

If it all works out by some miracle nobody will complain. If it doesn't then he needs to do it right the next time or sell the team at that point.

Date: January 24, 2014 04:26AM

Date: January 24, 2014 04:33AM

Fins72 Wrote:
> cshashaty said: You assume he cares what we think.
> Believe me, he does not. His view is simple: build
> a winner, and everyone will be happy.
>
>
> I know he doesn't care what we think but he should
> care about what the collective view of the team's
> progress is. Attendance at games hasn't exactly
> been stellar and I expect that it will continue to
> decline if he doesn't give the fans something to
> hang onto in the way of hope. I hope Gaine turns
> out to be a genius, but until he proves it with
> personnel moves, his hiring won't sell tickets. To
> the contrary, fair or not, his hiring will be
> viewed by a majority of fans as a failure to
> change the status quo following a disastrous year
> and to yet others, a damning indictment of the
> organization because they couldn't convince any
> bona fide GM candidate to take a job that only has
> 31 others on the planet. Accurate or not, some
> will believe that Gaine got the job because no
> other qualified candidate would take it. Ross
> ought to care what the average fan thinks because
> it's the average fan that he needs to sell out his
> stadium.

Chris is right. IF Ross builds a winner then nobody will care about anything.

If he hires Gaine and he rebuilds the Oline, finds a few gems in the draft and we make the playoffs next year then everyone will be happy with the coach, gm and owner.

If this all blows up in his face, then the question is...is he wise enough to admit he went about it all wrong and do it the right way?

Based on his track record to date, people certainly have the right to believe that he isn't wise enough.

Date: January 24, 2014 04:43AM

Well...I am looking forward to something different this off-season.

It was the same thing year after year with Ireland....

1. Make an unexpected FA signing or trade every couple of years, then trade them away in two years.

2. Draft a pretty good player in the first round

3. Miss on about half the other draft picks with at least two 2nd and 3rd round busts.

4. Find an overachieving undrafted FA who looks good simply because he outperformed the high draft picks.

5. neglect at least one area of the team as if it were of no importance and he was smarter than everyone else.

6. Do something to put the Dolphins in a negative light....stupid statements, piss off a player or two, etc.

7. Sign a FA to a huge contract and then have them turn out to be a huge bust.

Like I said, it would be hard for Gaine to be that bad.

Date: January 24, 2014 04:47AM

THE Truth Wrote:
> If this all blows up in his face, then the
> question is...is he wise enough to admit he went
> about it all wrong and do it the right way?
>
> Based on his track record to date, people
> certainly have the right to believe that he isn't
> wise enough.

Trust is a big issue with anyone in the front office, including the owner. That being said, I commend Ross for having the guts to FINALLY admit he was wrong about Ireland and cut him loose. It was two years too late, but that single move gives us hope for a better tomorrow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2014 04:47AM by cshashaty.

Date: January 24, 2014 04:51AM

Date: January 24, 2014 04:57AM

Fins72 Wrote:
> Time will tell, but fair or not, if
> they don't start out like a house of fire next
> year, it won't be long until you see the Fire
> Gaine and Fire Philbin banners out in masse.

Agree completely. Ross took a beating for trusting Ireland, and rightfully so. And he'll take a beating if his faith in Philbin isn't rewarded. Again, I won't sit here and predict or wish failure on anyone. That's not fair. What IS fair is to judge the results on the field.

As Curt and I have said many times, it's what happens on the field that counts.

Date: January 24, 2014 05:04AM

That's true as well but the informed fan may be a little more patient.

If Gaine comes in and at least attempts to fix what most people can see is broken, it will buy him some time. He just needs to be logical.

If the fans see moves like.....

Signing quality o-linemen to reasonable contracts

Trying to sign our own productive players

Doing something about LB'er

adding play makers

getting rid of dead weight

That will go a long way in most fans eyes....unless you are overly emotional and out to get him from day one...like many on this board will be just as they were with Philbin and Tannehill and many others.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: January 24, 2014 05:23AM

cshashaty Wrote:
> Fins72 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I guess expecting a
> > billionaire to understand what the average fan
> > thinks and feels is a stretch.
>
>
> You assume he cares what we think. Believe me, he
> does not. His view is simple: build a winner, and
> everyone will be happy.

RE: True, no matter what, if we add talent and win some games...no one will care about all of this.

If we get Gaine, hopefully he'll do the job and get results.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: January 24, 2014 06:30AM

Truth wrote: He (Ross) needs to learn from his mistakes and evolve as an owner.

Come on dude -- try to be legit. We're not talking about a kid here -- he's a 77-year-old man and he ain't gonna change one iota.

It is what it is. So add up the history to derive the sum of today! From "today" you can readily predict tomorrow when it comes to Ross. More clown acts and more bad decisions unless and until he removes himself from the equation!

My opinion. Of course.

BNF.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: January 24, 2014 07:12AM

As said by Chris: it's the product on the field that matters!

With that fundamental premise in mind -- I want to know what has Joe Phlimflam demonstrated via the product he puts on the field (especially in big games like @Norleans and 2 games to win 1 for the playoffs) to deserve any vote of confidence on his abilities to run the football program???

In my view the evidence is:

He is NOT an effective motivator. He is NOT an effective teacher (very little ramp-up of young players and rookies). He is NOT an innovator or creative play designer. He is NOT a dynamic game-day coach. He is NOT a brilliant talent evaluator. He is NOT a strong leader and formulator of high-energy assistant coaches (coaches who excel at teaching positional excellence and know how to leverage their players athletic chops to create winning match-ups). He does NOT exude "core competency" and "machismo" in a way that inspires others to be excellent and produce for him. And so forth.

I truly believe I am being fair -- and I have given Phlimflam the benefit of the doubt for most of 2 years. But he resoundingly FAILED on multiple fronts this year and it seems beyond obvious he is NOT N F L head coach material. And apparently he's not even a great OC since he (a) cannot call plays and (b) cannot innovate creatively on the offensive side.

Let's not forget the manic practice speed during TC going in every direction at the same time -- and with ALL that time invested (i.e., wasted) we never implemented the manic offense in the season. So that was Phlimflam's big "innovation," which obviously produced spectacular results ON THE FIELD.

And why (WHY!) wasn't the OL problem addressed effectively before the start of the season? Are we to believe Phlinflam pleaded his case with mean-ole Jeffie Ireland and Jeffie flipped Joey off and sent him crying out of his office (while Dawn was slipping on her new dominatrix outfit)?

Apparently Phlimflam's best skill set is organization. Based on his OCD tendencies I would think that's a double edged sword -- as reported by some players who have experienced his various weird (non-football related) compulsions.

Face facts. Philbin is indeed a flimflam and his presence will only impede this teams potential progress. He is NOT the answer. He is a big part of the problem.

My opinion. Of course.

BNF.

Date: January 24, 2014 07:17AM

BigNastyFish Wrote:
> Truth wrote: He (Ross) needs to learn from his
> mistakes and evolve as an owner.
>
> Come on dude -- try to be legit. We're not talking
> about a kid here -- he's a 77-year-old man and he
> ain't gonna change one iota.
>
> It is what it is. So add up the history to derive
> the sum of today! From "today" you can readily
> predict tomorrow when it comes to Ross. More clown
> acts and more bad decisions unless and until he
> removes himself from the equation!
>
> My opinion. Of course.
>
> BNF.

Maybe.

He's 73, but I get your point.

I don't agree with it, but I get it.

I think Ross has learned from past mistakes...to a degree. He fired Sparano. he fired Ireland. He did both a year to late but I don't know if that is due to indecision or loyalty.

I just don't think he's equipped to make the big football decisions because its not an area he has any real expertise in. He should get out of the way and just keep writing checks and showing up as a fan.

Right now, he's not doing that. The question is...is he capable of doing that if what he's doing doesn't pan out on the field next year?

Date: January 24, 2014 01:13PM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> eesti Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It's not Jeff Ireland so at least it's a step
> up.
>
>
> &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
> Are we positive it's going to be a step up
> though?
>
> Its an honest question.

Absolutely not. Because as I look around the Dolphins are not a half bad Team. Our coaching sucked like a crack whore , not our players. Our Salary cap is also in very good shape. We could have improved of GM position , but we also could do much worse.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.