HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          NFL may "boot" the Extra Point
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
NFL may "boot" the Extra Point
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 22, 2014 09:08PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NFL may "boot" the Extra Point
Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: January 23, 2014 01:36AM

Sometimes change is good.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: January 23, 2014 04:02AM

goodell should stick to changing the pro bowl like he did this year and stay away from the actual real games.

don't fix it if it ain't broke.

however, if they want to add excitement to it, move the spot back to the 17 if you want to go for 1 and keep it at the 2 if you want to go for 2.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: January 23, 2014 04:08AM

I think that is a totally stupid idea. First, what are the extra points really bothering? And sometimes they are missed to major consequences. Second, this wacky change will totally change the way football games score from here on out---you're trying to tell me that no longer is a TD worth 7 points, but we're going to have 6s and 8s on the board all the time? One of the brilliant things about FB is that a TD and a FG yeild a 4 point difference which makes the ends of game very interesting and strategic.
I can see if they were just going to make all TD automatically 7 points with the option for 8 if you go for "2," but if what CB wrote is true I am completely against this move.
Is there really an outcry against the extra point? This is a solution in search of a problem that is just going to make the game worse.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: January 23, 2014 04:24AM

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: January 23, 2014 05:19AM

Because you are in effect giving teams the 7th point as it is now, Just give it to them up front. The 8th point adds drama to the game because of the uncertainty of getting it...then if you chosse incorrectly you get a penalty for being too ballsy for your own good.

It makes the coaches have to make more game time decisions that actually matter to the outcome of the game.

Personally I'd rather see them review every sideline, pass, fumble, interception, penalty, first down, and scoring play in real time via a booth official. This official would buzz the officials on the field to halt play in the event of a mistake, or botched call. If done properly it wouldn't slow the game down either.

Eliminating the screwed up calls and mistakes would make the games much better IMHO.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: January 23, 2014 07:47AM

Idiotic move proposed by someone who obviously has no regard for the history and integrity of the game.

Par for the course for a fixed league where you buy Stupid Bowls and finagle for assorted league favors including scheduling, PI calls and of course the vaunted Tuck Rule and don’t touch the Lady Rule.

So much $$$$$$$$$ has got to corrupt. I mean Darwin knew that over 100 years ago!

The reptiles are ruthless scavenges and essentially parasitic to the masses.

My opinion. Of course.

BNF

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: January 23, 2014 07:50AM

I like the idea of changing the PAT. I don't e en watch them anymore.

If it were me, I'd like to make the PAT a free kick from the 40 yard line. No defense or blockers. Just the kicker and a tee or holder trying to make a 50 yarder for 1 pt.

I'd keep the 2-pt conversion as another option, but I'd move it back to the 5yrd line.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: January 23, 2014 07:52AM

You can go for 2 now at any point so what's the deal?

Total concocted sham trying divert attention from the pending Artic Bowl in Jersey!

What a total joke that is...

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: January 23, 2014 09:42AM

the idea was originated by belichick and i don't believe it has anything to do with adding excitement to the game.

i think it has everything to do with the fact that gronkowski originally broke his forearm on an extra point.

just another payback from patdell.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: January 23, 2014 10:07AM

Get rid of EP's and FG's! or not.

It's a perfect game as is.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: January 23, 2014 10:16AM

Wasn't there a crucial game either this year or last year where the guy missed the extra point leading to his team's loss?

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: January 23, 2014 11:21AM

The game shouldn't be called FOOTball to begin with. In a one hour game the total time that the ball is in contact with somebody's foot is a couple seconds at most and, now they want to reduce it even further?

The Clown Show Continues

-

Date: January 23, 2014 12:00PM

Never looked at it that way but you're right.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: January 24, 2014 07:49AM

jsm08 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the idea was originated by belichick

There's yet another reason to be against it.

> i think it has everything to do with the fact that
> gronkowski originally broke his forearm on an
> extra point.

Then Bellichick shouldn't have had his start TE in on special teams...that's his own fault.

The only feasible change, if any is to be made at all, is the one you mentioned earlier...make it a longer kick.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.