HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          if we had made the playoffs
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
if we had made the playoffs
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: January 19, 2014 11:21AM

I seriously think we'd get blown out by 3 TDs against any team we played. The level of coaching, play calling, intensity I've seen in the playoffs is so far beyond anything we could cope with when the stakes are high. If you think of the bills or jets games (esp jets game) as playoffs games, which they basically were, that's all you need to know

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: if we had made the playoffs
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 19, 2014 01:13PM

I'm just happy the Patriots lost.

Posted by: gofins60 ()
Date: January 19, 2014 07:19PM

I agree... Miami is nowhere near being "close". Ireland has put together a team filled of mostly second-stringers, and Philbin is not HC material.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: January 20, 2014 01:23AM

Disagree...this team is closer than most think. We have to be more consistent and have guys make plays more often, when they have the chance.

We hung with the majority of the teams we faced this year and were in positions to win almost every week, warts and all.

A few of those teams we hung with or beat were better than us talent wise, but we were still in those games and most we could have won.

We need more talent, a better offensive system, and some defensive tweaks to be sure...but we were far from garbage.

2014 looks bright for us right now (most other teams too)...F/A and the draft "SHOULD" go a long way toward putting us on a level playing field with the Patsies.

Posted by: gofins60 ()
Date: January 20, 2014 03:36AM

Ken Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We need more talent, a better offensive system,
> and some defensive tweaks to be sure...but we were
> far from garbage.

You just made my point for me.

"We need more talent" - Ireland picked up a few decent players, but not nearly enough in all the years he's been here... most were average at best.

"a better offensive system" - Philbin brought in his system, including this offense. It's not very good, and neither was the guy he hired to run it. And, when your Head Coach isn't smart enough to make adjustments during the game it won't matter what kind of offense you're running. Maybe I should say what kind of offense you're "passing", because Philbin's system doesn't value the running game.

"and some defensive tweaks" - Philbin and Coyle changed the whole defensive scheme when they came in, and turned the 3rd ranked rushing defense into the 13th in one year. In year two, Ireland swapped LBs, and the rushing defense fell to 24th. The play of the CBs improved (because of Grimes), but every other aspect of the defense either regressed or stayed about the same. Coyle is a decent secondary coach, but is not DC material. Miami has the only defense I've ever seen that gives up 20+ yard runs on 3rd and 20 on an almost regular basis.

Ken, you are right; this team is not garbage (although they could've fooled me during the last two games). I think that this team could make the playoffs as-is, if only Ireland and the entire coaching staff were replaced.

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: January 20, 2014 03:58AM

every team needs more talent.

I have to disagree. I watched every game of ours again this year and the Dolphin NEVER played with the intensity those teams played with.

The playoff teams looked stronger, faster, meaner

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: January 20, 2014 04:07AM

Dolfin1 AKA deepthought must be happy today that New England Lost.

LMAO.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 20, 2014 11:18AM

you mean dolfan1, SamSam. Don't you?

Date: January 21, 2014 01:36AM

gofins60 Wrote:
> Ken Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > We need more talent, a better offensive system,
> > and some defensive tweaks to be sure...but we
> were
> > far from garbage.
>
>
> You just made my point for me.
>
> "We need more talent" - Ireland picked up a few
> decent players, but not nearly enough in all the
> years he's been here... most were average at
> best.

RE: Yes we do and by talent I mean a couple more playmakers and an offensive line that can actually block.
>
> "a better offensive system" - Philbin brought in
> his system, including this offense. It's not very
> good, and neither was the guy he hired to run it.
> And, when your Head Coach isn't smart enough to
> make adjustments during the game it won't matter
> what kind of offense you're running. Maybe I
> should say what kind of offense you're "passing",
> because Philbin's system doesn't value the running
> game.

RE: What I meant by a better offensive system is one that isn't quite so conservative. We need to be aggressive on offense and dictate what defenses do against us. We need to add afew winkles too such as more screens, slants, quick curls and other routes that get receivers open immediately. This goes a long way towatd negating a pass rush and keps RT from getting his too much. We also need to run the ball more often...if we are not running the ball 20/30 times a game then we are not running it enough...and deceide on a back and let him get carries. We did too much swapping of backs last season.
>
> "and some defensive tweaks" - Philbin and Coyle
> changed the whole defensive scheme when they came
> in, and turned the 3rd ranked rushing defense into
> the 13th in one year. In year two, Ireland swapped
> LBs, and the rushing defense fell to 24th. The
> play of the CBs improved (because of Grimes), but
> every other aspect of the defense either regressed
> or stayed about the same. Coyle is a decent
> secondary coach, but is not DC material. Miami has
> the only defense I've ever seen that gives up 20+
> yard runs on 3rd and 20 on an almost regular
> basis.

RE:Our secondary will be even better this year if we can just keep Patterson healthy and on the field. LB's are a real concern and I hope we add one via F/A and another vis the draft this season since it looks like Jordan will be a LB for us.

> Ken, you are right; this team is not garbage
> (although they could've fooled me during the last
> two games). I think that this team could make the
> playoffs as-is, if only Ireland and the entire
> coaching staff were replaced.

RE: This team "as is" could have very easilly been a 12-4 team...and you can argue that they should have been. We have to get better though, and I think we will. We have a new OC that should bring an attacking and agressive style to the team...if we can add a few keys, and get the O-Line sorted out we should be fine in 2014.

Very interested to see what we do in F/A and in the draft...should tell us quite alot.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: January 21, 2014 04:17AM

I agree about the need for play makers on offense. At times we did have them but then Gibson got hurt and it became sporatic with Clay, Hartline, Mathews and Wallace alternating.

We may be ok in that aspect IF we can correct a few other areas like pass protecting and finding the ability to run the ball.

As far as needing an offense that isn't so conservative....I don't think we were all that conservative. We just didn't execute. We need a coach who can give us an identity. That means identifying what the players we have do well. I would say we need to be more unpredictable as opposed to less conservative.

I also don't think swapping of RB's was the problem. It was the lack of execution AND the inability of those RB's to block when called upon. Both are backups and should not be starting IMO. As most coaches would tell you....If you can't pick up the blitz then you can't play. That's why Miller never saw the field when Reggie was here. Reggie could pass block.

Depending on IF we can keep Patterson on the field is a BIG IF. He fell out of favor in Detroit for refusing to play hurt. You are also assuming we will be better and not even mentioning the #1 CB spot...where we have a huge hole (Brent Grimes). beyond that we also have a hole at the nickle. We have Jimmy Wilson but Carrol is a FA as well.

I have seen nothing stating that Jordan will be used as a LB'er.

Yes, this team could have been 12-4 but we could have just as easily been 5-11. We are just inconsistent and have no identity other than "being inconsistent".

A good GM should be able to fix this team in short order. It is a shame that we are still missing so many pieces when most could have been addressed last year.

As I have stated many times, signing LB'ers when we had bigger needs on the o-line was a HUGE setback. It would not have been had the new players actually performed but now we have a huge cap hit and are stuck with those guys....and still have no o-line.

That's not even getting into the hole at FS, DT...

The new GM has a huge shopping list.

LT, LG, RG, RT, FS, DT, DT, CB, HB, TE,....yikes!

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: January 22, 2014 05:26PM

eesti Wrote:
> I agree about the need for play makers on offense.
> At times we did have them but then Gibson got hurt
> and it became sporatic with Clay, Hartline,
> Mathews and Wallace alternating.

RE: Yes, Gibson was a huge blow to the offense and I think Keller was another...even if Clay had a really good season. Egnew did more but he really needs to step up big this season.
>
> We may be ok in that aspect IF we can correct a
> few other areas like pass protecting and finding
> the ability to run the ball.

RE: Fixing the O-Line, cures a litany of ills for us...thats the key to everything as far as improvement on offense goes and getting the team to where it needs to be.
>
> As far as needing an offense that isn't so
> conservative....I don't think we were all that
> conservative. We just didn't execute. We need a
> coach who can give us an identity. That means
> identifying what the players we have do well. I
> would say we need to be more unpredictable as
> opposed to less conservative.

RE: UNpredictable is great but we also need to be aggressive and attack defenses...we have to dictate what they do against us.
>
> I also don't think swapping of RB's was the
> problem. It was the lack of execution AND the
> inability of those RB's to block when called upon.
> Both are backups and should not be starting IMO.
> As most coaches would tell you....If you can't
> pick up the blitz then you can't play. That's why
> Miller never saw the field when Reggie was here.
> Reggie could pass block.

RE: True, our RB's need to do a better job blocking thats for sure...but I'd be comfortable with Miller and Gillislee playing and trading Thomas for another draft pick. I do think Thomas can play and that he can be productive for us given some blocking but I think Gillislee has a bit more upside given uncertain blocking.
>
> Depending on IF we can keep Patterson on the field
> is a BIG IF. He fell out of favor in Detroit for
> refusing to play hurt. You are also assuming we
> will be better and not even mentioning the #1 CB
> spot...where we have a huge hole (Brent Grimes).
> beyond that we also have a hole at the nickle. We
> have Jimmy Wilson but Carrol is a FA as well.

RE: Yes it is but he's a playmaker whe he's in the lineup. With him and Grimes (who should definately be resigned) we have solid corners. Carroll should also be resigned because he ad a solid season and he comes relatively cheap.
>
> I have seen nothing stating that Jordan will be
> used as a LB'er.

RE: Except for that's where he mostly played this year, when he played, and we have to get him on the field a lot more. He can cover TE's. He's not going to replace Wake, and after the very solid season Vernon had it would be stupid to sit him...so that leaves Jordan as either warming the bench, a LB or a part time DE which isn't acceptable given his talent level.
>
> Yes, this team could have been 12-4 but we could
> have just as easily been 5-11. We are just
> inconsistent and have no identity other than
> "being inconsistent".

RE: Agreed, but we did see glimpses of the team building an identity...hopefully we'll see more in the way of that this year.
>
> A good GM should be able to fix this team in short
> order. It is a shame that we are still missing so
> many pieces when most could have been addressed
> last year.

RE: Agreed, thats another reason the team is close...because it can be fixed quickly. If we were not close, that would not be possible.
>
> As I have stated many times, signing LB'ers when
> we had bigger needs on the o-line was a HUGE
> setback. It would not have been had the new
> players actually performed but now we have a huge
> cap hit and are stuck with those guys....and still
> have no o-line.

RE: Yes, but we kind of had to try and upgrade our LB's. The were a liability in pass protection, although very good agains't the run. I completely understand why Ireland did it.
>
> That's not even getting into the hole at FS,
> DT...
>
> The new GM has a huge shopping list.
>
> LT, LG, RG, RT, FS, DT, DT, CB, HB, TE,....yikes!

RE: Two OL in F/A, two more via draft, and we don't need a DT, HB, or TE...but I think we do need a CB, S and late round QB project. We can look for specific upgrades and additional depth in F/A.

Date: January 23, 2014 06:05AM

We don't need a DT? How do you figure? 2 are FA's. As of now we have Odrick and no 1-technique DT.

TE? Sims had 1 td and then disappeared. For a guy that was mostly a blocker in college, he didn't do very well at it.

Egnew? mediocre.

That's 3 guys. None of them can block and one can catch 3/4 of the time. Clay is not a TE. Slot receiver, h-back yes. Definitely not a FB.

.....................................................................................

Posted by: cshashaty ()
Date: January 23, 2014 07:24AM

If the Dolphins had made the playoffs we would still have Jeff Ireland and Mike Sherman.

Their purge, especially Ireland's, is the silver lining in this whole mess.

Date: January 23, 2014 07:35AM

Addition by subtraction!

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: January 23, 2014 07:38AM

I was OK with firing Ireland -- but we left the biggest piece of trash on the premises.

As long this OCD incompetent paperclip organizer remains as HC (and crony facilitator in chief) the "playoffs" are a complete joke.

Best case scenario is we back in and get immediately spanked by some wildcard team (a predictably classic battle of 9-7 teams going nowhere).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.