HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          What's wrong with the Dolphins?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
What's wrong with the Dolphins?
Posted by: Ken ()
Date: January 08, 2014 05:24AM

The best franchises have stabiilty to implement a business model and football strategy. Look at the Dolphins' last decade. With the ouster of Jeff Ireland on Tuesday, they have gone three seasons in the last 11 where they've had the same owner, coach and top personnel guy. And one of those was 2011, which came after owner Steve Ross attempted to hire Jim Harbaugh as coach (right guy in retrospect, wrong method).

Run through the years:

2004 – In a switch of seats at the top, General Manager Rick Spielman is given final say in personnel decisions over coach Dave Wannstedt.

2005 – Nick Saban is hired as overlord of football. Randy Mueller is his personnel man.

2006 – Stability.

2007 – Cam Cameron is coach, Mueller promoted to general manager.

2008 – Bill Parcells, Jeff Ireland and Tony Sparano form their union.

2009 – Steve Ross’s first season as owner.

2010 – Before the start of the season, Parcells leaves. Ireland and Sparano assume full control.

2011 – In the off-season, Ross attempts to hire Jim Harbaugh. The relationship of Sparano and Ireland deteriorates. So while the coach and GM stay in place, their relationship doesn’t.

2012 – Joe Philbin starts as coach. Ireland stays.

2013 – Stability.

2014 – Ireland out.

Read and understand the Dolphins aren't going anywhere good until they get some stability in the franchise. Football isn't the kind of sport where you plug in a few names and rise to the top. The first thing you need is smart hires, which has been missing. Then you need patience and stability.

Dave Hyde, 8:14 a.m. EST, January 8, 2014, Sun Sentinel

I've been preaching this very thing for the past decade right here on this board. We can't keep firing coaches and GM's on a regular basis because the only things it gets us is...poor records, no playoffs, pissed of fans, and more changes, which only serve to start the cycle all over again.

Let's hope the stability we need starts with our next two hires. Glad to see Ross has kept Philbin. (for the time being anyway)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What's wrong with the Dolphins?
Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: January 08, 2014 05:32AM

You have to make changes when you're NOT getting the results you want -- otherwise you're resigned to the same outcome over and over...

When you make the change at least you have an opportunity for getting the desired result. Of course there are no guarantees. But we can now definitively conclude every aspect of the BIGGIE T dictatorship ended in failure.

However, there is one residual left -- and that's Joe Phlimflam. He was hired by Ireland and remains because Ross loves his corporate clone ways and means. That may be a significant hindrance moving forward. But of course the outcome is undetermined -- sort of like Schrödinger's "football." Is it inflated or flat? You can't know until you open the box.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2014 05:33AM by BigNastyFish.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: January 08, 2014 06:06AM

Yes, but the point is, we've made far too many changes over the past decade...teams that have revolving doors in the front offices and the sidelines...are always the poor teams.

And just why did project big fail? Was it because of Parcells, Ireland, Sparano, poor design, lack of knowledge, BP not caring, ego, outmoded philosophy, poor players, or was it the turnover in the front office?

I think it was all of it...but turnover in the front office is far from the least of them IMHO. I think it's THE key.

Just look around the league since the merger. What do all of the bad teams have in common? A revolving door for coaches and GM's...what do the best teams have? Stability.

Like I said, I hope our period of stability starts with our next two hires.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: January 08, 2014 06:27AM

Well then hopefully this time they get it right.

the common denominator over the past 6 yrs is Ireland. he's gone.

philbin and tannehill get one year to prove themselves to the next gm. if it's another mediocre season you can bet your bottom dollar that said gm will build it the way he wants.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: January 08, 2014 06:47AM

Best teams this year.....Playoff teams

Seattle
SF
Denver
Indy
NOLA
NE
KC
Cin
Phi
Car
GB
SD

EVERYONE but NE, GB and Cinc have new GM's and HC's in the last couple of years. That's 3 out of 12 or 25%.

I would say its more about finding the right chemistry between Personnel, Coaches and players.

As of right now the best teams over the past few years have been Seattle and SF. They both have had massive changes over the past decade. It's just they finally found the right mix of people AND A QB.

Not that I disagree about stability being good BUT you first have to have the right people in place. Stability will follow. Those teams are not successful because they are stable. They are stable because they have the right people.

And even that perfect mix of people doesn't last forever. KC was very successfull for decades and they ended up firing their HC and GM. Pittsburgh has been stable but they have struggled for the last few years.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: January 08, 2014 08:03AM

Jeff Fisher has made a career out of being a steady stable coach.......just not winning Super Bowls. It was time for Ireland to go, my only concern now is, should Philbin have gone with him? Half ass rebuilds seem to be worse then no change at all

Date: January 08, 2014 09:16AM

It started in 96 when they changed the Logo. This year it will get even worse.

I don't really believe that but I'm willing to ride the silly train to get the Helmet back. smoking smiley

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: January 08, 2014 09:37AM

Ken Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The best franchises have stabiilty to implement a
> business model and football strategy. Look at the
> Dolphins' last decade. With the ouster of Jeff
> Ireland on Tuesday, they have gone three seasons
> in the last 11 where they've had the same owner,
> coach and top personnel guy. And one of those was
> 2011, which came after owner Steve Ross attempted
> to hire Jim Harbaugh as coach (right guy in
> retrospect, wrong method).
>
> Run through the years:
>
> 2004 – In a switch of seats at the top, General
> Manager Rick Spielman is given final say in
> personnel decisions over coach Dave Wannstedt.
>
> 2005 – Nick Saban is hired as overlord of
> football. Randy Mueller is his personnel man.
>
> 2006 – Stability.
>
> 2007 – Cam Cameron is coach, Mueller promoted to
> general manager.
>
> 2008 – Bill Parcells, Jeff Ireland and Tony
> Sparano form their union.
>
> 2009 – Steve Ross’s first season as owner.
>
> 2010 – Before the start of the season, Parcells
> leaves. Ireland and Sparano assume full control.
>
> 2011 – In the off-season, Ross attempts to hire
> Jim Harbaugh. The relationship of Sparano and
> Ireland deteriorates. So while the coach and GM
> stay in place, their relationship doesn’t.
>
> 2012 – Joe Philbin starts as coach. Ireland
> stays.
>
> 2013 – Stability.
>
> 2014 – Ireland out.
>
> Read and understand the Dolphins aren't going
> anywhere good until they get some stability in the
> franchise. Football isn't the kind of sport where
> you plug in a few names and rise to the top. The
> first thing you need is smart hires, which has
> been missing. Then you need patience and
> stability.
>
> Dave Hyde, 8:14 a.m. EST, January 8, 2014, Sun
> Sentinel
>
>
> I've been preaching this very thing for the past
> decade right here on this board. We can't keep
> firing coaches and GM's on a regular basis because
> the only things it gets us is...poor records, no
> playoffs, pissed of fans, and more changes, which
> only serve to start the cycle all over again.
>
> Let's hope the stability we need starts with our
> next two hires. Glad to see Ross has kept Philbin.
> (for the time being anyway)

Reading the on-line Miami Herald this morning, all I can say for the Miami Dolphins is: WHAT A MESS!!!!

Cripes, I didn't realize it was so bad in the FO and coaching staff.

Ireland displeased with the offensive play calling (aiming at both Philbin and Sherman) and Aponte basically "telling on" Ireland to Philbin. Extremely major power struggle with the Fins, with Aponte and Philbin vs Ireland.

With the mess I just read about, I find it very difficult to understand Boss Ross keeping, if he does, Philbin as HC and having Aponte remaining in the FO.

I, along with others on this board, indicated that it would be very difficult to maintain any semblance of continuity by hiring and firing people every 2-3 years, but with all of this, I would have to say for Ross to "clean house" big time.

If Ross wants an already established GM or an up-and-coming GM, he won't get it if the above two remain in Dolphins-land. He will have to hire from within (Gaines) and give him basically no power. Will anyone be willing to do that?

No "outside" GM can be hired with Philbin remaining as HC.

Ross is going to have to suck it up and make a move I am sure he wishes he didn't have to make.

If Ross is even thinking that way, why bother to look for an OC right now?

Ross is going to have to do something quickly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.