HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Ross after the game
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Ross after the game
Posted by: Ken ()
Date: December 29, 2013 12:09PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ross after the game
Posted by: dolfan1 ()
Date: December 29, 2013 12:20PM

Here is how I would do it if I owned the team or was given the job as lynch man.

To Ireland: pack up your shit, let's go skippy, your done and get the f out now.

To Sherman: don't bother coming back to your office the locks where changed.

To Philbin: sorry but you aren't what we are looking for or need. See ya.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 29, 2013 12:21PM

I'm at least glad he did not say something like "Well, sometimes bad things happen but you've got to go on."

Date: December 29, 2013 12:27PM

dolfan1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here is how I would do it if I owned the team or
> was given the job as lynch man.
>
> To Ireland: pack up your shit, let's go skippy,
> your done and get the f out now.
>
> To Sherman: don't bother coming back to your
> office the locks where changed.
>
> To Philbin: sorry but you aren't what we are
> looking for or need. See ya.

RE: and you'd have a team that wins two games next season instead of an almost playoff team this year.

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: December 29, 2013 12:29PM

Well, you do. What option do you have?

Rick

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: December 29, 2013 12:31PM

I'd say the coaching staff is the first place to start.

Obviously we had sufficient talent to compete and win some games against the better teams -- but the overall team mojo was wildly erratic and the utilization of personnel was unimaginative for the most part.

I think the nail in coffin has to be the eggs laid the past 2 weeks along with the TB loss and Buffalo loss at home. Collectively those are unforgivable coaching sins IMO. I can see maybe blowing 1, or at the sickening most 2 of those games -- but not all 4! That has to be grounds for dismissal.

Bottom line, there's zero sense Philbin brings anything special to the table and his cronyism is a sign of him not being strong on his own. The man was a coordinator for all those years for a reason. At this point I cannot make a case for him being retained.

Sherman seems incredibly stubborn and incapable of making significant adaptations to add layers or nuance to the offense. Granted, he was strapped to a garbage OL all year -- but at least part of the accountability for that is his (and Philbin along with Ireland). He obviously needs to go -- and his lack of performance reflects badly on Philbin's decision making and ability to adjust.

Philbin seems to be OCD and obsessed with minutia while missing the big picture…

Last, Ireland has been training on the Dolphins dime for years now and it's highly doubtful he's ever going to get the level he needs to be (consistently) to bring this franchise back. Though I also believe the coaching staff has screwed the pooch more this year than Ireland has. For Ireland, the OL neglect really killed this team in a huge way. Not sure he can survive that catastrophe…

BNF.

Date: December 29, 2013 12:32PM

Ken, eesti has a quote that says "good enough is the enemy of Great" but I never thought that you would question the proposition that "sucking is the enemy of great" and we do suck from top to bottom and for an almost playoff team to lose to teams playing only for draft picks, and to lose to BOTH OF THEM by a COLLECTIVE score of 37 to 7 is awful.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: December 29, 2013 12:37PM

He needs to clean house, no half assing it, firing just assistants or just Ireland will do nothing but prolong the misery, clean house, hire a GM (or Chucky) and let the GM hire his own coach.......sad day to be a Phins fan yet again.

Date: December 29, 2013 12:39PM

Welcome aboard, holic. You have never said anything CONTRARY to what you just said but you have never said what you just said either.

Posted by: dolfan1 ()
Date: December 29, 2013 12:43PM

Ken Wrote:
> dolfan1 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Here is how I would do it if I owned the team
> or
> > was given the job as lynch man.
> >
> > To Ireland: pack up your shit, let's go skippy,
> > your done and get the f out now.
> >
> > To Sherman: don't bother coming back to your
> > office the locks where changed.
> >
> > To Philbin: sorry but you aren't what we are
> > looking for or need. See ya.
>
>
> RE: and you'd have a team that wins two games next
> season instead of an almost playoff team this
> year.

Perfect, then we get number 1 draft pick....hopefully a top QB

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: December 29, 2013 12:45PM

HUH?
Another rebuild is definitely NOT what I wanted, but if Ross is gonna make changes, he needs to do it right. IMO it has to be all or nothing.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: December 29, 2013 12:54PM

Stripping this thing down to the frame and rebuilding from the ground up means we're yet another 2-3 years away from a "finished product."

I think we need to find a HC (and a GM) who can finish the project (i.e., work effectively with the core roster) as opposed to some radical revision. That shouldn't be incredibly difficult given the dominant modality of contemporary football…

Posted by: FinFanNo1 ()
Date: December 29, 2013 01:12PM

Amen ChyrenB!
The problems the team has had land squarely on the GM and coaching staff. The players don't decide who to sign, draft, release, fire, or hire.
My success criteria at the beginning of this season was to be better than 0.500 and not get swept by any team in the division. Not exactly lofty goals... But none-the-less, the team is swept by Buffalo and goes 0.500. Not good enough = FAIL.
Ireland has got to go. There are a lot of guys out there that can do better. No-brainer.
If I can find a better coach than Philbin, I would fire Philbin as soon as I could ink the other. Question is... who is out there that I think would be better than Philbin (and how do I get a copy of his resume, phone number, etc.)? If there isn't anyone like that who I can sign, I stick with Philbin (for now).

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: December 29, 2013 01:12PM

Well said BNF.

Posted by: chatafkup ()
Date: December 29, 2013 01:25PM

This idiot will not do a fkn thing. I'll bet money on it.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: December 29, 2013 01:33PM

The challenge is to get any decent coach to come here. Ireland has to go to get one to consider. Look what Andy Reid did with KC.

Do we get a held of Scott Pioli? He built the KC team with draft picks

Date: December 29, 2013 01:37PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> Ken, eesti has a quote that says "good enough is
> the enemy of Great" but I never thought that you
> would question the proposition that "sucking is
> the enemy of great" and we do suck from top to
> bottom and for an almost playoff team to lose to
> teams playing only for draft picks, and to lose to
> BOTH OF THEM by a COLLECTIVE score of 37 to 7 is
> awful.

RE: I'm not questioning anything but the notion that we need to fire everyone and start over...this team does NOT suck, we have talent. You can make the argument that the coaches need to be replaced but that won't fix the problems either. In fact it'll only serve to prolong them. Do we need to make some changes? Sure we do and I agree that we do...but knee jerk reactions will only serve to keep this team mired in the mud for many more years because when the changes don't have us immediately in the playoffs...you guys will be screaming to change the staff once again.

Date: December 29, 2013 01:43PM

jlyell13 Wrote:
> The challenge is to get any decent coach to come
> here. Ireland has to go to get one to consider.
> Look what Andy Reid did with KC.
>
> Do we get a held of Scott Pioli? He built the KC
> team with draft picks

RE: Yeah the same Andy Reid that was out-coached, out-classed, out-talented, and completely villified as being a complete loser that didn't have a clue as to what he was doing in Philly.

Not that I ever thought he was a bad coach mind you.

The grass isn't alwayd greener as Philly found out because they still stink.

Date: December 29, 2013 01:49PM

Andy Reid was way more successful than any Dolphin coach since Shula. Never won the big one, but got them to the playoffs a lot more than any Phin coach, but had a lot of opportunities and his time had come. Chip Kelly started out bad, but had a decent year.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: December 29, 2013 01:50PM

so 2 weeks ago when we beat NE we were talking about an extension for Tannehill now it's about starting over.

no wonder we're the laughing stock we are.

don't forget that starting over means we're scraping the 2nd and 3rd tier options because ross is as big of a clown as Ireland.

Irelands big money FA signings this year: Wallace...can't catch the ball if perfectly in stride. will not fight for the ball. Ellerbe: below average to poor at MLB, Wheeler: horrible.

Using you guys' metrics half the coaches in the league should be fired tomorrow.

Date: December 29, 2013 02:19PM

jlyell13 Wrote:
> Andy Reid was way more successful than any Dolphin
> coach since Shula. Never won the big one, but got
> them to the playoffs a lot more than any Phin
> coach, but had a lot of opportunities and his time
> had come. Chip Kelly started out bad, but had a
> decent year.

RE: True he was, but none of that mattered because he was fired for being an ineffective, past his prime, buffoon that couldn't get the team to play well or fix its issues. Now Philly is finding out that they had a good coach the whole time.

Posted by: FinFanNo1 ()
Date: December 29, 2013 02:21PM

Set the success criteria prior to the season and then evaluate your performance relative to that criteria at the end of the season. Was your goal "almost making the playoffs"? "Almost a winning record"?

Do you really think there is a lot of talent on this team relative to the other teams in the league? Really... "A lot"? We have some good players but not enough. Talent-wise, we are not "on par" with the good teams in the league.

I'm not saying we need to cut RT. I'm just saying drafting another QB would be the prudent thing to do at this juncture. But all things considered, com'on.... Ireland needs to go. That's been overdue for a while.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: December 29, 2013 02:21PM

no offense to those saying to replace RT but you guys know nothing about football.

Posted by: WestCoastDolFan ()
Date: December 29, 2013 03:23PM

We can't throw out the baby with the bath water. We have a good core of players and I think Ireland has done a decent job bringing in talent. I am not ready to get rid of Philbin. We shold give him one more year with the understanding that he needs to produce. Bit I think the OC and possible the DC need to go. THe offense and defense both show a total lack of imagination and guts. Whole sale changes is not want we need unless of course you WANT the Dolphins to continue loosing for another 3-4 years.

Posted by: ncdolphfan ()
Date: December 29, 2013 03:48PM

Time to clean house!!!

Posted by: GBOFinFan ()
Date: December 29, 2013 04:05PM

What has Philbin done to warrant another shot? It all starts with the head coach. The offensive game planning, the defensive game planning, the locker room catastrophe, everything.

As a head coach at the highest level of football in the world, How can you not motivate your team to win one of the last two games against subpar teams?

As much as I despise Rex Ryan, my hat's of to him for winning 8 games with that personnel. Hate to say it but imagine what he could do with this team.

Date: December 29, 2013 04:23PM

Posted by: Sickofit+1 ()
Date: December 29, 2013 04:27PM

I'm seriously considering going back to school to learn play calling and try out to be a offensive coordinator for a small college and work my way up so you guys can sleep good at nite knowing I will be this team's oc. I mean I am really inspired right now by this year's just blah.

Date: December 29, 2013 04:34PM

WestcoastDolfan we have been waiting 30 years through bad coaching and draft selections. Maybe we need David or Mike Shula, could they do any worse than what we have had? Comes down to talent evaluation ,and we haven't had it for years and really bombed the last two unless some of these guys show up in a few.

good coaches make adjustments at half time and come out with another game plan

What the hell happened to the D line? We used to be top 10

Bowles and Dansby had great years in AZ, Burnett in Oak

Posted by: gofins60 ()
Date: December 29, 2013 08:31PM

BigNastyFish Wrote:
> Stripping this thing down to the frame and
> rebuilding from the ground up means we're yet
> another 2-3 years away from a "finished product."
>
> I think we need to find a HC (and a GM) who can
> finish the project (i.e., work effectively with
> the core roster) as opposed to some radical
> revision. That shouldn't be incredibly difficult
> given the dominant modality of contemporary
> football…

This is EXACTLY what I thought they should do... after the 2011 season! Sparano's team needed better coaching (HC on down) and playcalling, and some upgrades at the playmaking positions (QB, TE, WR, CB, LBs) and o-line. With a "real" GM, a lot of this could have been accomplished last season, and the rest this season.

Instead, Ross keeps Ireland and hires Philbin, who basically wants to do a complete flip-flop of the offense and change defensive schemes.

In 2 years, what have they accomplished? On defense they took a Top 5 run defense and turned it into a Bottom 5 run defense. The ONLY big improvement was Grimes. On offense they took a decent running game (with Lousaka "Automatic 1st down" Polite) and turned it into "it's 3rd and inches; maybe we can make it in two tries". Improvement on offense? In the red zone, they can actually score TDs now instead of constantly settling for FGs. BUT, this doesn't mean much when Sherman is worse than Henning and the team rarely gets to the red zone! How about a QB that can't hit a wide open Wallace in stride? Oh, and they still didn't do anything to fix the o-line.

There's no way I want to see what else these guys can destroy if given more time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2014 07:50AM by gofins60.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.