HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Jeff Ireland...real clever.
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Jeff Ireland...real clever.
Posted by: marcsbros ()
Date: December 30, 2013 12:26AM

Well ive got used to seeing the fins crash and burn over here in the u.k (my lad was close to tears last night) but i have a real problem with Jeff Ireland above all and heres why..

1.Ireland gives up two second round picks for Brandon Marshall,to let him go cheaply 2 seasons later for 2 third round picks.Everyone said Marshall wasnt the right player for this "new system" but id rather have him battling for every ball,rather than Mike Wallaces feeble attempts.

2.Wheeler and Ellerbe..are they REALLY an upgrade over Dansby and Burnett?
correct me if im wrong but we had Wheeler at training camp a few years back and released him,only to sign him to silly money due to a decent season with the Raiders.

3.Brent Grimes.hes on a one year contract,has been our best corner by far....but a pound to a pinch of shit,Ireland will let him walk.

4.If the GM trades up to get a 3rd overall pick in Dion Jordan,why use him so sparsly?? I know Vernon had an outstanding season(even though he dissapeared the last 3 weeks) but the biggest problem was the o line even before the draft.

5.Davis and Taylor.2 cb,s selected but make no contribution to this team,bearing in mind they were 2nd rounders if memory serves me right.Thomas came in from the 49rs and was elevated above them..something wrong there.

While he has picked some diamonds frm the rough..Clay,Jones,Hartline,hes hardly GM legend material so all i ask is this.......Please Jeff for the sake of all fed up Dolphin fans,leave the building by the nearest available exit,and if there in the car park at the same time,take Mike Sherman,Jim Turner and Kevin Coyle with you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Jeff Ireland...real clever.
Posted by: colonel ()
Date: December 30, 2013 04:06AM

I like you post, but must comment on the Wheeler and Ellerbe purchase. Neither of these two LBs are deserving of the money the Dolphins graciously paid them. Neither have shown their touted ability to be an improvement over Dansby and Burnett. One of the main reasons the opposing running game was successful against us was how this pair played. Add the inconsistent play of Misi in the mix and the subs and you have a weak linebacking corps.

Dion Jordan: Seldom was his name called for doing anything. Taking him so early in the draft based on his perceived ability at the NFL level was outlandish when it happened and now appears to be on the absurd side of making draft picks following his use this season. Surely, we could have drafted a third or fourth round player and gotten the same invisible result for less dough and maybe picked up a real first round draft pick who could have helped the team. KUECHLY comes to mind.

Brent Grimes was a shinning star. A success story at DB. thumbs up

While Vernon played very well; Wake, who I really like for his intensity, was not the same rusher following his early season injury. I hope he can return to his former playing ability next season. If this is the case, Vernon on one side and Wake, up to full strength and quickness on the other, will be a positive.

Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: December 30, 2013 04:08AM

In his tenure with the Dolphins, Ireland has drafted only two players that have made a pro bowl-- Jake Long and Mike Pouncey (who made it this year though why I can't imagine). Both Long and Pouncey were first rounders which means that he hasn't drafted a non first round player to make a pro bowl. I doubt Ireland would know a quality football player if one fell on his face and wiggled. Until he goes, we won't have any chance to become anything other than the type of team we saw this year. I won't spend another dime on this team until he is gone.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: December 30, 2013 04:22AM

how many of Ireland's picks have gotten long term extensions? hartline and rashad jones. I have to missing some more.

how many of his picks have gone on to stardom elsewhere? I don't think any.

the problem the phins face is ross is perceived in league circles as a goof.

to bring some credibility back to the franchise I'd love to see Marino in some front office capacity. He's a competitor and sees what Elway has done with Denny so hopefully that lights a fire.

You get a name like Marino and suddenly you'll get guys like cowher and gruden to listen if we're looking for a new HC.

If not I could see Ireland getting canned and Dawn Aponte being promoted. If you think we're a laughing stock now...

Just my opinion of course.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: December 30, 2013 04:44AM

I said this was a make or break year for Ireland. He had every opportunity to put together a more complete team in 2013. Huge cap space and a blank check from the owner.

Everyone knew our offensive line was a mess and what did he do to remedy the issue?

1. Gave a one year contract to an aging player who had never played in a zone blocking scheme. (any wonder he struggled for the first half?)

2. Drafted a lineman in the 3rd round. (played 2 snaps)

3. Signed two new UNPROVEN FA linebackers to replace two quality starters. (Oh wait....this did nothing to help the o-line. My bad.)

Now....add in the fact that his entire 2013 draft failed to crack any starting position except for a dainty kicker who missed way too many FG's and can't even boot a touchback....and this is enough to fire him right there.

Even Ireland usually gets two or even three starters from the draft....but not this year. This is THE worst draft he has had to date if measured on a one year standard.

How much better would we have been with two free agent o-linemen instead of the BS move at LBer?

Replace our dud LB'ers with Louis Vasquez and King Dunlap, save millions and not create issues that were not a concern.

Oh and maybe draft at least one starter.....Larry Warford perhaps? (The 4th ranked guard in the NFL.)

Did I mention that he also failed on the gamble to not sign Starks long term? or any other Miami player that is a FA in 2012...

Not only did he screw us this year but over the next few years as well while we are on the hook for the bloated salaries of Ellerbe and Wheeler....the "dreaded ones".

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: December 30, 2013 04:48AM

I would say the Dolphins roster is better then the Bills and Jets, yet they clobbered us. That is coaching and QB play right?

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: December 30, 2013 08:38AM

that happens.

our roster isn't better than the colts, bengals, pats yet we beat them.

it happens.

Posted by: marcsbros ()
Date: December 30, 2013 11:24AM

It is a better roster than the bills or jets,but lets be fair,this rests on Irelands head because,,
1,He gave silly money to Mike Wallace,who has fantastic speed but wont lay it on the line when needed. Sick of seeing him flapping his arms and giving up on a ball like a midget trying to hang washing on a 9 foot clothes line(we had a bloke that did similar things called Ted Ginn).

2. He tries to fix a shite offensive line like someone sticking sellotape over a crack in the Hoover Dam.

3. In the linebackers,he replaces 2 reliable,solid pros with....Stadler and Waldorf (and the other lb is Fozzy Bear).

Cornerbacks that he drafts dont make the field..a 3rd overall pick that plays 14% of overall downs..a 3rd round guard that plays two snaps all season..Why sign Danny Watkins if he wont make it onto the field(could he really be any worse than the shite already playing),might as well just put a cardboard cut out on the sideline..why is he so high on Daniel Thomas?..go into the season with 4 wideouts and cut Marlon Moore,then Gibson goes ir and we sign Moore back,why? did he become a better player in 7 weeks since being cut?...not signing Starks to a long term in the off season (soliai can go in my opinion,overated)..the list goes on..

Ireland should be booted by tomorrow morning imo.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: December 31, 2013 07:47PM

Agree with Marcsbros, just terrible player evaluation. Jerked Winston around then doesn't even play Thomas & Watkins? At the level they review these guys pre-draft wouldn't you know not to waste a third round pick on an OL that won't play, where other teams pick up guys we recommend like Vontaze Burfict that are pro bowlers and lead the league in tackles, 171!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.