HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          starting to peak.
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
starting to peak.
Posted by: Sickofit+1 ()
Date: December 01, 2013 02:54PM

I will hold out 90 percent Untill after Pittsburg game, however the oline starting to gel and the wrs seem to be on same page as Tanny. I think finally our team is starting to rise and start a roll. Call me crazy but what I saw today was our team living up to its potential.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: starting to peak.
Posted by: gofins60 ()
Date: December 01, 2013 07:17PM

If Tannehill had been able to hit wide open receivers deep, they might have scored close to 40 points. Plus, they were terrible in the Red Zone. I will say that the o-line did a decent job.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: December 02, 2013 01:17AM

Tannehill will never be good enough for some of you. He threw for 300 yards and 2 tds.

Sure he missed some passes but all qbs do. what he did though today was make up for those misses. that's where he's been lacking.

He's a 2nd year qb being asked to carry the team. I like what I see so far. He needs to work on his deep passes and timing with his wrs.

It didn't help that the colorman's talking points were tannehill's accuracy so no matter what tanne did he was nitpicking everything.

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: December 02, 2013 05:07AM

Those 2 TD's "he" threw were great plays by the receivers and horrible tackling on defense. Dont give tannehill credit for those.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: December 02, 2013 05:20AM

You are so right JSM08. I am not necessarily referring to posts on this thread but.....

I know it is killing some people that Tannehill is getting better and better and is the best QB prospect we've had since Marino. All because their prediction of Tannheill being a bust is proving untrue??? Who knows why? Stubborn pride? Just enjoy the win for christ sake.

Yes, he is struggling on the bombs and deep sideline routes but it does not worry me. It will come. Probably this week against Wallace's former team.

The guy is on pace for 4,153 yards!!! 23 TD's. Yeah he sucks alright!

We won vs the jets but they suck...bla bla bla....they are not the same team as earlier in the year...bla..bla..bla. Well yes they are actually the exact same team.

It was a division win and they are always battles....well not this one because we killed them.

Another non-fact...."Tannehill is the worst QB at deep balls in the league"...just simply not true. He has been off on 40 plus yard in the air passes but for what most sites define as deep passes (over 20 yards completion %) he ranks ahead of players like Cam Newton, RG3, Eli Manning, Joe Flacco, EJ Manuel, Chad Henne, Carson Palmer.

What do these QB's have in common?

Matt Stafford, Peyton Manning, Russell Wilson, Phillip Rivers, Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees.

They are the only QB's IN THE LEAGUE that rate higher than Ryan Tannehill. That's right. He is ranked 7th now. 6th if you consider Rodgers is out. He still has a 62% completion rate.

Only two QB's have dropped back to pass more than RT. Just more evidence how he is carrying the offense.

Stop expecting the 84 Marino season and maybe you won't be so disappointed.

Tannehill is living up to Sherman's promise about the most improved rookie/young QB from 2012 to 2013. He is rated higher than Luck, Kaepernick, Newton and RG3. Wilson is the only guy from his class to keep up his pace from last year...let alone improve.

RT's NFL QB rating has improved from 76.1 to 83.2 so far. Maybe next year he continues to improve and that number goes to 91 or so.

IF the TEAM can perform well two weeks in a row, we have a legit chance to make the playoffs. It is a team effort. That's why Indy, Carolina and SF are doing so well even though their QB's are not always carrying them. The guys around them are more consistent.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: December 02, 2013 05:51AM

dolphin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Those 2 TD's "he" threw were great plays by the
> receivers and horrible tackling on defense. Dont
> give tannehill credit for those.

or you could give tannehill credit for reading a d and making the right decision?

do you think matt Stafford is a good qb?

Date: December 02, 2013 05:53AM

so dolphin, do you think the phins should cut ties with tannehill? draft another qb next year? start matt moore?

what are your solutions?

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: December 02, 2013 05:58AM

thats whay QBs are suppose to do.....And thats what the real deal did yesterday.

He delivered the football for strike and made it possible for receivers to make a play.

thats what receivers are suppose to do. Make plays.

Its hard enough for a qb to avoid all the beast coming at him...

Its special when a qb can throw strikes like that.

Date: December 02, 2013 06:03AM

Such a bunch of BS....

Tannehill threw a laser between two defenders on the pass to Hartline.

Wallace made one guy miss and then ran for a TD.

In other words the guy getting paid all the money to make plays....made a play.

Or in others words....Tannehill did his job and the WR's did theirs.

That just bugs the shit out of the haters.

He will never give credit to Tannehill because the better RT plays the more he looks bad for bitching about the pick since April 26th, 2012!!!!

.....................................................................................

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: December 02, 2013 07:14AM

Problem is Marino spoiled us. Most Miami fans aren't accustomed to having a QB that improves year-to-year. They want someone who is amazing right out of the gate. These guys would have hated QBs like Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees.

Date: December 02, 2013 07:25AM

Let's just do what we've been doing for the last decade and a half....pick up a FA QB and expect him to be better than he has ever been.

Michael Vick, Jay Cutler, Josh McCown, Chad Henne, Josh Freeman, Tavaris Jackson, Colt McCoy and Rex Grossman are all FA's next year....WOOOHOOO!

Posted by: chatafkup ()
Date: December 02, 2013 07:43AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> thats whay QBs are suppose to do.....And thats
> what the real deal did yesterday.
>
>
> He delivered the football for strike and made it
> possible for receivers to make a play.
>
>
> thats what receivers are suppose to do. Make
> plays.
>
> Its hard enough for a qb to avoid all the beast
> coming at him...
>
>
> Its special when a qb can throw strikes like that.

Right! If "they" would just let Ryan play like Ryan wants to, allowing him to run when he wants and play to his potential, things would be different. But you have geriatric POS just throwing a wrench in his game.

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: December 02, 2013 09:27AM

eesti you really really think Tannehill is good? Wonder why Marino and Cohwer were talking about how bad he is.

What are you smoking?

Did you not see ALL the wide open passes he missed this game and all year long?

I would have started Moore all year and there would be no doubt about the playoffs we would be a lock.

Trust me I would be thrilled if Tannehill would become good, but I'm not seeing what you want to see.

Tannehill made one good throw out of 42 and missed a dozen.....yeah he is hall of fame for sure.

Date: December 02, 2013 09:44AM

quote: would have started Moore all year and there would be no doubt about the playoffs we would be a lock.

ROTFLMMFAO.

Date: December 02, 2013 10:16AM

dolphin Wrote:
> eesti you really really think Tannehill is good?
> Wonder why Marino and Cohwer were talking about
> how bad he is.

So what did they say EXACTLY. Knowing your M.O., I highly doubt it was anything close to what you "quoted"....and I use that term lightly...and yes I think Tannehill is good.

>
> What are you smoking?
>
> Did you not see ALL the wide open passes he missed
> this game and all year long?

So it's perfection you seek? You are talking about a small percentage of his passes. I can provide you with the numbers if you can't figure it out.

>
> I would have started Moore all year and there
> would be no doubt about the playoffs we would be a
> lock.

This is why it's so hard to take you seriously. I imagine a 16 year old kid when you say stuff like this. You have no clue if you want to blame this years struggles solely on the QB. There are many issues to go around.

>
> Trust me I would be thrilled if Tannehill would
> become good, but I'm not seeing what you want to
> see.

It's not just what I see. It's what the majority of unbiased people see. It's only the people with ulterior motives that say he is a bad QB.

>
> Tannehill made one good throw out of 42 and missed
> a dozen.....yeah he is hall of fame for sure.

One good throw? really? The 65% completion rate would contradict your theory.

The problem is you want to take a FEW of his flaws and turn them into an entire career. You are short-sighted, uninsightful and obviously are still trying to learn the game of football. You may even be a fan of another team but I am betting it's just immaturity.

Date: December 02, 2013 11:01AM

300 Plus yards passing game and 2 TDs would be a great accomplishment for any NFL QB...

And keep in mind the jets DLine is very good.

Dolphin might be a $h!TS FAN. LOL.

Date: December 02, 2013 11:39AM

Matt Moore has a 6-6 record in Miami and 13-12 for his career. He is 7-10 for the most recent two seasons.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2013 11:40AM by eesti.

Date: December 02, 2013 11:54AM

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: December 02, 2013 12:16PM

I bitched about the RT pick, and didn't like what I saw last year for the most part...

This year i have given RT a lot of praise for his development...

The guy has come a long way since last year... Is he perfect, no, does he have issues with the long fly ball and timing, yes... Even this pocket presence criticism doesn't hold the weight it did, in the first 6 games or so... His scrambling and pocket presence has improved right before our eyes as the season progressed...

Overall he has played well this year... Anyone that doesn't see that, just doesn't want to see it IMO... To bitch about RT is ridiculous...
The fact he has improved many of his weaknesses in one year shows his potential....
IF I were Philbin, I would be running deep fly routes for an hour each practice, just to get that part of his game improved... And if I were RT and Wallace, I would spend the entire offseason, running those routes and passes together... For if they solve that, RT will be unstoppable and elite...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: December 02, 2013 12:58PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> I bitched about the RT pick, and didn't like what
> I saw last year for the most part...
>
> This year i have given RT a lot of praise for his
> development...
>
> The guy has come a long way since last year... Is
> he perfect, no, does he have issues with the long
> fly ball and timing, yes... Even this pocket
> presence criticism doesn't hold the weight it did,
> in the first 6 games or so... His scrambling and
> pocket presence has improved right before our eyes
> as the season progressed...
>
> Overall he has played well this year... Anyone
> that doesn't see that, just doesn't want to see it
> IMO... To bitch about RT is ridiculous...
> The fact he has improved many of his weaknesses in
> one year shows his potential....
> IF I were Philbin, I would be running deep fly
> routes for an hour each practice, just to get that
> part of his game improved... And if I were RT and
> Wallace, I would spend the entire offseason,
> running those routes and passes together... For
> if they solve that, RT will be unstoppable and
> elite...

Exactly right.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: December 02, 2013 01:02PM

jsm08 Wrote:
> Tannehill will never be good enough for some of
> you. He threw for 300 yards and 2 tds.
>
> Sure he missed some passes but all qbs do. what
> he did though today was make up for those misses.
> that's where he's been lacking.
>
> He's a 2nd year qb being asked to carry the team.
> I like what I see so far. He needs to work on his
> deep passes and timing with his wrs.
>
> It didn't help that the colorman's talking points
> were tannehill's accuracy so no matter what tanne
> did he was nitpicking everything.

Tanneyhill played well, but could be better.

Yes, all QBs miss passes, but Ryan, for some reason, is missing way too many of those mid to deep balls. Wallace has gotten behind the defense many times this season, and we saw in the Jets game where Hartline got behind the defense. A high percentage of those passes were underthrown.

RT has a strong arm; he can get it down the field. I don't know for sure, but I would give two reasons why he isn't connecting.

(1) He has no confidence in his oline keeping the defenders out of his face, thus he is not stepping into the throw (and is throwing late).

(2) He knows where his guys are on the field; he must take his drop and let it go - let his guys (especially Wallace) run under it. He just has to trust that his guys will make the catch and if they don't, it's because he overthrew it. I would rather he overthrow the ball rather than underthrow. That's why I was pleased when he overthrew Wallace last week against Carolina.

I have already said I think RT is playing well. You are correct; he is only a second year player and with better OLine play and a running game that the defense has to be aware of, he will do even better.

I disagree with your saying that the colorman (Rich Gannon) was nitpicking. He is correct in what he was saying. Once RT gets his confidence and timing down with his WRs, Miami will be a dangerous offense.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: December 02, 2013 01:03PM

dolphin Wrote:
> Those 2 TD's "he" threw were great plays by the
> receivers and horrible tackling on defense. Dont
> give tannehill credit for those.

Isn't that the way it is in every level of football?

Date: December 02, 2013 02:40PM

A long ball takes time to develop, many of the plays this year our oline just hasn't given him enough time for the deep ball to develop, and when it does, Tannehill is nervous about getting rid of it, not so well planted with the feet and seems he lets the ball sail early with not the best footwork and concentration on the pass or route... It is a split decision pass it seems, and has very little to do with timing.. Throwing to a new WR moving at Wallace's pace only exacerbates the problem with its accuracy... It has to be a timing thing where he knows at a certain clock in his head this where the ball needs to be, rather then trying to calculate all the variables on the spot.... Better protection and more time with the WR should greatly improve the play and or deep ball IMO...

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: December 02, 2013 02:48PM

I'm not a hater, although I expected him to be better at hitting WRs in stride when going deep. I've seen other young QBs who can do this; hopefully Tannehill will improve on this with time.

Date: December 02, 2013 03:04PM

gofins60 Wrote:
> I'm not a hater, although I expected him to be
> better at hitting WRs in stride when going deep.
> I've seen other young QBs who can do this;
> hopefully Tannehill will improve on this with
> time.

I agree but that is his weakness, and on the same note, he can do many things much better then other young starting QB's you see.... Also the line and speed of Wallace makes it tougher on him... The long ball on 4th down and ten from the twenty against the Ravens was one of the most beautiful passes under pressure with the game on the line I have ever seen in a Dolphins uniform... He escaped pressure had a clear view and through the pass rolling out with good balance... So he is capable, he just needs to work on the consistency of delivering that deep long ball...

Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2013 03:06PM by Crowder52.

Posted by: Sickofit+1 ()
Date: December 02, 2013 05:16PM

Only 4 years at qb. Hell too me he is still a college senior compared to the rest of his draft class. Luck been a qb his whole life. Tanny 4 years. He will be great.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 02, 2013 06:10PM

Tanny was a quarterback in High School in Lubbock Texas. I have a thread named "Meanwhile back in LUbbock" that talks about his younger brother who is playing QB now and may even recount that Ryan was a QB at the high school

He went to TAM as a quarterback but was shifted to WR to get playing time and eventually won the QB job.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: December 03, 2013 02:25AM

People realize the WCO is built on 4-10 yard passes with the hope the WR can break 1 tackle and take it the distance right?

If you look at the season as a whole, Hartline and Wallace have been HORRIBLE at YAC.

Hartline can break a tackle, but then trips over his own feet. Wallace just cant break a tackle.

Finally, they broke tackles and you see the results.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: December 03, 2013 03:58AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> People realize the WCO is built on 4-10 yard
> passes with the hope the WR can break 1 tackle and
> take it the distance right?

Which is why I really hate the WCO. An offense based on short timing routes that pretty much neglected putting together a strong running game is going nowhere fast when those routes are taken away or things go wrong (such as poor o-line play or failure to break tackles). Philbin got better WRs this season, but failed to do anything about the o-line, even when EVERYONE knew that it was a major problem. He didn't even try changing personnel during the game to see if that would help. Nothing was done until after that meeting with Ross when McKinnie was signed.

I believe that Philbin really wasn't concerned with the o-line play... he expects the ball to be out quickly, so even a poor o-line should give the QB enough time to throw. But, all you get then are short passes, and that's Philbin's system. Bah! Hey Joe, why can't your offense run for a 1st down on 3rd and 1?

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: December 03, 2013 07:33AM

Actually, the O-line has been better since two glaciers left. they were replace by much more agile, athletic guys and the offense has seen improvements.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.