HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Coulda been us
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Coulda been us
Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: September 26, 2013 10:22PM

Fisher went to STL probably mostly because they already had a QB in place. I've never been a fan of Fisher's who puts up a really good season every blue moon and has one Super Bowl appearance over a decade ago. I was so relieved when we "missed out" on his services.

I look at how STL is being built, and it looks like an approach we took 5 years ago.
- hulking LT for all-important blindside protection - check
- WR corps primarily made up of "who's that's?" and the token undersized playmaker to create the illusion of playing today's offensive game
- something amiss among system, playcalling and execution that leads to repeated checkdowns and prayers being heaved up toward the end zone (I think about years past when Henne throws a prayer to Hartline where it would take a miracle to end up a TD...now, Tannehill's TDs are going to guys who appear to be wide open or would be if not held by one arm by the defender while making a one-handed over the shoulder catch)
- really good talent on D (but not an elite D) that gets leaned on too heavily and eventually wears down game after game

Who knows if we even pick Tannehill at 8 last year if Fisher is the coach. He gets that you need a QB, but would he have "reached" like Philbin and Ireland did? And even if we picked him, would there be the relative harmony that we seem to be developing between system -> talent -> playcalling -> execution.

Fisher may get things turned around in STL, but I'm glad we didn't get him. His reputation alone gives him 3 years, and I don't see them anywhere near an upward, healthy trajectory.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Coulda been us
Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: September 27, 2013 02:04AM

I was thinking the same thing last night, how did he earn such a lofty reputation again?

Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: September 27, 2013 06:57AM

I agree. I was very happy we "missed out" on him. He was an average coach with an occasional above average season. If St. Louis keeps playing like they have, Mr. Fisher will be looking at an ESPN gig in the not too distant future.

Posted by: chatafkup ()
Date: September 27, 2013 08:46AM

The poor RAMS were getting manhandled last night.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: September 27, 2013 10:04AM

There are a lot of shoulda..coulda, woulda type things out there for a team that has had no success over the past decade....

The "big" story this week that the media is trying to hype is the time Miami passed on Brees for Culpepper. The problem is that NO ONe from that team is even here anymore....from owner to GM to players.

This year we have played Weeden, a Qb some thought Miami should draft. Andrew Luck, a player many fans wanted us (to suck) to draft AND Matt Ryan, a player that we probably should have drafted (instead of the meat head Jake Long). Now we face the other player we could have had 7 years ago. Next week is another player many thought we should have drafted over Jake (Not for) Long.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: September 27, 2013 10:27AM

eesti, I'm only addressing your Drew Brees point. Nothing else.

I look and I see that Culpepper was drafted in 1998 and Brees in 2001, so maybe you were talking about a trade or something. Culpepper was the second quarterback drafted when Michael Vick went much earlier, top 5 but in 1998.

Now, I was the Purdue guy on THIS chatboard screaming for Brees. Who DID we actually pass on Drew Brees for??????????????

At about 26, we passed on Brees to draft....drumroll.....Jamar Fletcher, cornerback.

Brees LATER went in the SECOND round as about the third or fourth pick there.

Date: September 27, 2013 11:23AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> eesti, I'm only addressing your Drew Brees point.
> Nothing else.
>
> I look and I see that Culpepper was drafted in
> 1998 and Brees in 2001, so maybe you were talking
> about a trade or something. Culpepper was the
> second quarterback drafted when Michael Vick went
> much earlier, top 5 but in 1998.
>
> Now, I was the Purdue guy on THIS chatboard
> screaming for Brees. Who DID we actually pass on
> Drew Brees for??????????????
>
> At about 26, we passed on Brees to
> draft....drumroll.....Jamar Fletcher, cornerback.
>
> Brees LATER went in the SECOND round as about the
> third or fourth pick there.

He's talking about when Culpepper and Brees were FA's together and we signed Daunteconfused smiley

Date: September 27, 2013 12:44PM

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: September 27, 2013 01:34PM

Chyren that was one of the top 5 major things that happened to this team in the last 20 years, when both Brees and Culpepper were available in the same offseason, both coming off injuries, and Sabam decided to trade a #2 for culpepper rather than sign Brees as a FA. it set our team back 5-10 years.

Date: September 27, 2013 01:43PM

See, it's even worse than I remembered, I forgot we gave up a #2 for him, thanks for ruining my night Berk

Date: September 27, 2013 02:33PM

Berk, I may have forgotten that but the main thing I remember being a Purdue during Bob Griese's senior year is that I was begging for us to DRAFT Drew Brees and was willing to be disappointed if someone SNATCHED HIM UP first.

I lived a hell through that first round of the draft only to see us get to no. 22 or whatever and Drew being available and hearing "Jamar Fletcher" and then seeing him go to San Diego in the early second round.

However, now that I think of it, I remember San Diego being discontent and signing what's his face and vaguely remember us screwing up again and not getting Brees AGAIN. I just didn't remember that we got Culpepper instead.

To me the failure to draft still remains the biggest screw up.

but my only point to dolphaholic was that I DID SAY in my original post that maybe he's talking about a trade or something and his reply (and his praise of your post in fact) failed to note that even I said I wasn't certain that it was the draft that was being talked about.

But some people just love to take cheap shots, whether it applies or not. Not speaking of you, berk.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: September 27, 2013 04:37PM

yes jamar fletcher was insult to injury

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: September 27, 2013 06:02PM

Screw Jeff Fisher & his 1-3 Rams. Had Fisher taken this job, Long would probably still be on this team sucking up cap space.

I'm totally fine with Philbin. And at least he was smart enough to realize that Herman Munster wasn't worth top dollar anymore, whereas Fisher was mesmerized by him enough to sign him to the Rams thinking that they got a deal.

Finally, I like having a head coach that isn't recycled. Even if it takes Philbin time to master his occupation, I'm still happy he's here. The dude has a real classy demeanor & it shows that the players respect his leadership. And I bought in too smiling smiley

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: September 27, 2013 06:39PM

Yea! Like the /\ above says...

Date: September 28, 2013 05:06AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> but my only point to dolphaholic was that I DID
> SAY in my original post that maybe he's talking
> about a trade or something and his reply (and his
> praise of your post in fact) failed to note that
> even I said I wasn't certain that it was the draft
> that was being talked about.
>
> But some people just love to take cheap shots,
> whether it applies or not. Not speaking of you,
> berk.

Your so vain, you probably think this song is about you..........
How do you know the frowny face wasn't aimed at my disgust in the fact we took Culpepperr over Brees?

Date: September 28, 2013 12:55PM

Okay. I guess I was who Carly was talking about. LOL.

But the funny thing about those lyrics are that he's right in thinking that the song was about him.

But then again, maybe that says something about me.

Edited to add that any semblance between me and Warren Beatty is purely coincidental.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2013 01:08PM by ChyrenB.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.