HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Reality Check
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Reality Check
Posted by: socalphin ()
Date: January 04, 2009 11:21AM

I knew playing a true quality opponent would expose the many holes this team still has despite an over rated 11-5 record.
Sure we got fat by barely beating a lot of bad teams, but we're still closer to 1-15 than we are 11-5.
As I'm typing this, we just got the ball back, trailing 20-9.
Now Ted Ginn just Fd us with a fumble. Thank you Cameron.
This defense can't tackle for crap. McGahee just ran it down to the 4.

The many holes this team still has:
WR - need true #1 and better #2
QB - stronger arm (hopefully Henne will fill that one)
O-line - still a man or 2 short of being remotely solid
D-line - lacks pass rushers and run stuffers
LBs - ILBs are weak
CBs - nead more lock down and better tackling, tougher
FS - play maker - hitter
STs - better returners, flyers, hole openers

I know we are very young, and may develope to fill some of these holes.
We have seen how far an off-season can go.

Let the off-season begin!!!
Time for Parcells and Ireland to do their magic.

I'm very confident Sparano will only get better from this season.

I'm very optimistic going into next year.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reality Check
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 04, 2009 11:31AM

Agreed!

I doubt we'll draft a QB. I think Henne is the heir apparent, though Penni will start next season as the starter.

Look out for huge upgrades in our defense.

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: January 04, 2009 12:08PM

We need about 5 new starters on defense. We need YOUNG legs and some fresh blood on that side of the ball. really we need a slew of some new linebackers to be honest. Plus some secondary depth

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: January 04, 2009 03:16PM

OL- big questions on the health of Smiley and Thomas. If they are both healthy, then the line is looking a lot better. And the experience that Ndukwe and Alleman got will be very valuable for them in bench roles. Well, maybe not Alleman, because that guy is a human turnstile.

WR- We need a big, physical WR who can make plays deep over the middle and downfield. Bess was a terrific find, but he is a slot WR, nothing more. He caught 0 passes this season that were thrown more than 20 yards downfield, and 42 of his catches came within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage.

DL- Rookie DE are rarely good pass rushers. We have to hope that Merling and Langford improve in that area next season. I honestly don't see us doing anything at DE. I know we need a bigger pass rush. But, Holliday is a team captain, and still a decent player. We have high picks invested in Merling and Langford. And we signed Starks to a $20M deal. And the team is said to like the pass rush potential of Lionel Dotson. I think we stick with those 5 DE. I think we will look for a NT to be Ferguson's eventual replacement.

LB- I think we could see a major overhaul here. Would I rule out trading Joey Porter? Not necessarily, because of his contract and the fact that he may actually have considerable trade value at the moment. But, it will be hard for a team with no pass rush to trade their only pass rusher. I think Crowder will want more money than the front office thinks he's worth. I think that an improved pass rush will be sought on the strong side. Roth showed he could play a role, but I think they'll look to upgrade. As for Ayodele, I honestly don't know. It seems to me like he needs to be upgraded. But, every team with a 3-4 expects something different from the strongside ILB. In some cases, they just want that guy to take on blockers, allowing the other ILB and SS to make the tackles. If that's how we've used Ayodele, maybe they are happy with him.

DB-Our secondary is better than most people give credit for. Our lack of pass rush kills them. We need to re-sign Goodman. And I think we'll spend a high pick on a CB for the nickel (and possible eventual Allen replacement). I think Bell will be brought back. I could see Hill being brought back, too. But, if so, I think we'll draft a S to push him.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: January 04, 2009 06:50PM

I think our O-Line will be OK.

We need a legit #1 WR. Ginn doesn't cut it. Bess and Camarillo are both reliable and cheap, but I'd hate to bring in ANOTHER guy that takes passes from them. TRANSLATION: We need to get rid of Ginn. He's not producing up to his salary.

I think our D-Line will stay intact as well.

I wouldn't feel bad if we replaced ALL our starting LBs, but I think we keep Roth. Crowder's return will depend on how much money he wants. I think Ayodele will be replaced, and Torbor may be gone as well. After Porter's year, he could be trade-bait. I wouldn't mind seeing him go.

Our secondary is pretty good, but we need to replace Hill. He has good instincts, but he's small and has trouble tackling.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: January 05, 2009 03:12AM

Quote:

"TRANSLATION: We need to get rid of Ginn"

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Im glad your not in control.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: January 05, 2009 07:46AM

Ginn needs one more year...the 3rd year is the key....I'm telling you.

We did pretty good on defense but the fact is that we just did not have the right personnel to run a 3-4 this year. Too many so-so LB's, an average to above average NT and a rookie DE and another DE more suited to be a situational 4-3 DT.

We should be able to re-tool and be much better this year.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: Stoyanovich10 ()
Date: January 05, 2009 12:19PM

The Cam Cameron Draft Pick put the nail in the coffin with that Fumble. I thought He could have possibly scored a TD on that play. I say Let Ginn do the Returns- Wasnt this His Strength? I thought He supposed to be an Excellent Returner and average WR. But they took the Return Man job away from him. Strange.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: January 05, 2009 12:43PM

They dont want him hurt. We were only dressing 3 WR's. Cobbs returned kicks.

Date: January 05, 2009 01:43PM

Stoyanovich10 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Cam Cameron Draft Pick put the nail in the
> coffin with that Fumble. I thought He could have
> possibly scored a TD on that play. I say Let Ginn
> do the Returns- Wasnt this His Strength? I thought
> He supposed to be an Excellent Returner and
> average WR. But they took the Return Man job away
> from him. Strange.

He hasn't been very good this year when they've used him. That's part of my issue. Ginn hasn't had much value for us since he was drafted very high in the 1st round.

Luckily, Cobb has been excellent returning kicks.

Posted by: Stoyanovich10 ()
Date: January 06, 2009 09:12AM

Cobbs & Bess have been good return guys, But are either of them as Potentially Explosive as Ginn ?? I'm talking TDs or 50, 60 yrd returns...

Date: January 06, 2009 09:37AM

Stoyanovich10 Wrote:
> Cobbs & Bess have been good return guys, But are
> either of them as Potentially Explosive as Ginn ??
> I'm talking TDs or 50, 60 yrd returns...

Bess, no. Cobbs, yes. Fact is, Ginn hasn't been very explosive this year when he HAS returned kicks.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: January 06, 2009 09:38AM

Date: January 06, 2009 09:46AM

Phinsfan2 Wrote:
> QB: We are set with Pennignton and Henne.
> If Possible, I'd deal
> Beck for a 3rd or 4th (Dallas?) and
> draft a guy to develop.
> If not, I can live with Beck as #3.

If we can get a 3rd for Beck, let's make the deal right now! He's of no use to us, and we could use the extra draft pick.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: January 06, 2009 09:51AM

Posted by: JC ()
Date: January 06, 2009 11:04AM

I hope Beck gets a shot somewhere else. Baltimore would make sense. Of course, I hope even more that we get good compensation for him.

Date: January 06, 2009 12:31PM

weak arm qb thats all we hear about our qb hene is good but chad is better he should start for at least 2 more years

Posted by: greg woulf ()
Date: January 06, 2009 12:57PM

You've listed every position on the field except RB.

It wasn't like we got wiped out. They scored half their points off turnovers. At least two of them were purely poor decisions on Chad's part. I'm not trying to make Chad the goat here, he's the reason we got to the playoffs in my opinion. He had one bad game, that doesn't mean he's always going to. A better rushing game would have taken some of the pressure off.

I didn't like our secondary all season, but I think they're coming together. Goodman has been hot and Bell has always been a good hitter. Check out the hit he made in the 2nd quarter that stopped a reception. I'd like more depth in the secondary, and if one of those depth players can take a starting spot more power to them.

I felt like our LB crew are missing something, but I wouldn't trash them all. Just get one beast to play opposite Porter.

O'lines take some time to come together. I think we could possibly use one more, but I'm not sure that Thomas isn't that guy. I sure wouldn't be against another Pro-bowler here, but I don't think that's a weak spot. Depth is good.

After a horrible start to the season our ST were looking decent in the last quarter.

I was really happy with almost everything this year. I think we'll upgrade and increase depth all around. Our only old positions are on the Defensive line. Holiday and Ferguson are great.

Pennington is a no-brainer, a leader in every way. I can't imagine not starting him next year.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.