HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Vontae Leach to visit tomorrow...
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Vontae Leach to visit tomorrow...
Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: June 11, 2013 03:55PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Vontae Leach to visit tomorrow...
Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: June 11, 2013 03:58PM

Date: June 11, 2013 04:30PM

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: June 11, 2013 04:34PM

Truth- I thought you said Philbins offense doesnt have a need for a typical FB and that is why Javorskie Lane wouldnt make the roster... Why would we want to sign Leach, especially at high dollars if FB isnt a position Philbins offense calls for and they just signed and used Javorskie as a transition player while they adjust to the new offense with out a true FB?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: June 11, 2013 05:05PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Truth- I thought you said Philbins offense doesnt
> have a need for a typical FB and that is why
> Javorskie Lane wouldnt make the roster... Why
> would we want to sign Leach, especially at high
> dollars if FB isnt a position Philbins offense
> calls for and they just signed and used Javorskie
> as a transition player while they adjust to the
> new offense with out a true FB?

Our offense doesn't call for a traditional FB in the way the Ravens use one. We don't run a power formation as our base set.

Philbin has said his base set (when he has the personnel) is a single back, 3WR, 1 TE set.

The Ravens run a more traditional Power Offense (like we ran under Sparano) which is 2 WR, 1 TE, a FB, and a RB.

They will use a FB far more than we will in our scheme.

My point in that discussion wasn't that we don't need a FB in our offense, it was that since we don't have a very good FB on the roster, I'd prefer to keep Clay to handle the limited FB duties in our offense AND provide a 4th TE option behind Keller, Egnew, Sims.

Adding an elite FB like Leach changes the equation. There is a limited roll for a guy like that in our offense in goaline and short yardage packages. If you have a FB (at an affordable price) to fill that limited roll, then the roster choices at WR, TE and RB get very interesting.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: June 11, 2013 06:13PM

i don't see how we can say he doesn't fit the offense. he played for both sherman and philbin in the past

Date: June 11, 2013 09:52PM

Vonte Leach..........sounds like something you pick up off the toilet seat in grand central station

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: June 21, 2013 07:15AM

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: June 21, 2013 08:48PM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> ?@RVacchianoNYDN 1h "Forget the Giants in the
> chase for FB Vonta Leach. Sounds like he's focused
> on the Dolphins. Agent says no other visits are
> planned"
>
> Sounds like he's there for the taking, might this
> boost L. Millers fantasy value?

I'll be with a fantasy team that my son has been with for years. If Miller is available I know I'm going to take him.

Leach is making a wise choice, Miami has some serious potential this year. This off-season has been downright amazing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2013 03:21PM by 808phan.

Date: June 21, 2013 11:09PM

Yes, a good blocker with equally good hands. Get the deal done!!

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: June 23, 2013 10:06AM

808phan Wrote:
> dolphaholic Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > ?@RVacchianoNYDN 1h "Forget the Giants in the
> > chase for FB Vonta Leach. Sounds like he's
> focused
> > on the Dolphins. Agent says no other visits are
> > planned"
> >
> > Sounds like he's there for the taking, might
> this
> > boost L. Millers fantasy value?
>
> I'll be with a fantasy team that my has been with
> for years. If Miller is available I know I'm going
> to take him.
>
> Leach is making a wise choice, Miami has some
> serious potential this year. This off-season has
> been downright amazing.

Reports have it that the Giants will be increasing their offer to Leach.

Date: June 23, 2013 03:29PM

I saw that on PFT today, cap. Something tells me that if this staff really wants Leach bad enough they'd get him. Must not be a high enough priority in their view I guess.

Date: June 24, 2013 03:14PM

If he wanted to sigh he would have already. Miami is clearly his #2 option. He is waiting for something from the Ravens.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: June 28, 2013 05:42PM

We don't need him

Date: June 29, 2013 04:46AM

jlyell13 Wrote:
> We don't need him

That's why this isn't done yet.

FB just isn't that important a position for our offense to over pay for anyone.

If the guy is only going to be on the filed for short yardage and maybe 15-20% of our offensive plays, is he worth $3m a year?

Seems like we made an offer and are waiting for them to take it or leave it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2013 12:30PM by THE Truth.

Date: June 29, 2013 09:53AM

Sounds good to me either way. Although I bet the Pats might be interested in him considering their options a tight end . Just sayin.........

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: June 29, 2013 10:02AM

And he is the top rated FB in the league...That could be of some help....

Date: June 29, 2013 10:13AM

FB is basically a RB that blocks. Kind of like the same relationship between a Tightend and a receiver. How can that NOT be helpful? Especially in short yardage situations ?

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: June 29, 2013 10:43AM

Having a great FB on the roster is never a bad thing on any team, in any system.. At times you can always use a guy like Leach... The problem is the money verse contribution and play count.. If the system doesn't have a lot of 2 back sets with lead blockers then you are paying a lot of money on your cap for an under utilized position. That is never a good philosophy long term for decision making principles...

I think our running system is one cut and go, one of the reasons they seem to like Lamar Millers style more then Bush who danced a lot in the backfield and reversed field at times... If they have parts of Philbins system that could use more a lead blocker and FB then I am all for it. But i would have concerns they are rearranging the system for one guy such as a FB. I am not too clear on the entire dynamics of Philbins system and the FB position, but I did enjoy Javorskie Lane's hits and when he was passed the ball in the flats with trucking room. That would scare me as an opposing CB or safety seeing that guy with a head of steam coming at you in the flats. lol....

I have no problem if we stick with Javorskie Lane, Charles Clay or one of the younger cheaper potentials, if the FB position is going to be used lightly.. If Leach wants sign around a 1 million dollar or so, one year deal to see how it works out, I would do it...

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: June 29, 2013 10:54AM

He is tried , true and tested. He brings with him a Superbowl veteran mentality. I think his precense will help the entire Offense and our defense by having to deal with him weekly in practice. But your right , do not over pay because we can afford to. I'd like to see a one yr deal and hopefully he can make our current rooster better.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: June 30, 2013 09:54AM

Date: July 18, 2013 01:32PM

salguero reporting miami not going to sign him "at this time" but if he's still around during training camp and we need him, we will sign him. come on! first, he's not going to remain on the market, so not signing him now means we lose him. second, what is the downside here? we obviously want to/need to upgrade from J Lane, blocking is the biggest Q on this team, not just the OL but Lamar Miller. Signing the best blocking FB in the business is not something Ireland wants to do now, why exactly? It can't be $$, we've got a ton of space and even "over paying" Leach is what, giving him 400-500k more than we'd like? I'll never understand Ireland's moves like this

Date: July 18, 2013 02:07PM

We have 2 potential pro bowlers on one year deals in Grimes and Keller, We have a 17 million dollar hit next year on Wallace. Reshad Jones and Randy Starks could both have pro bowl years on one year deals essentially as well... Losing any of those 4 guys next year if they play elite will be a much hard pill to swallow then paying Leach on a 3-4 year deal as the top paid FB in football... I like Leach, but I dont think we are going to be in as great of cap space next year as everybody seems to think we are going to be..... Not to mention in the next couple years we are going to have to pay Pouncey and Tannehill.. If we pay all those guys with the guys we already pay big, we are going to have cap issues or be mortgaging the future IMO...

ps- I forgot about Solia, he is on a one year deal now as well.. Next year both our starting DT's will be FA's.. And who do we have in the pipeline? Odrick? Well his deal is almost up as well...The interior is going to need some spending next year or drafting early...

Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2013 02:11PM by Crowder52.

Date: July 18, 2013 02:43PM

who said signing leach to a 3-4 year deal? more like 2. he'd not require big money. plus we could always cut him if he doesn't work out, only the signing bonus (doubt it would be big) is guaranteed. short sighted move IMO

Date: July 18, 2013 03:19PM

I heard we offered him a one year deal and he wants a 3-4 year deal.. That is where the 2 sides are supposedly at.. I heard these references on the finsiders today...

Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2013 03:21PM by Crowder52.

Date: July 18, 2013 03:39PM

It could just be posturing to try to get him to take a lesser deal, but its probably a reflection of the fact that they don't want to overpay, or make a longterm commitment to, a guy who will only have a minor roll in Philbin's offense.

Now having said that, he probably signs tomorrow...spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: July 18, 2013 03:51PM

maybe, but it's not like leach is hurting for options. he can resign with the SB champs, return to the SB contending Texans, play for the Giants, all who have interest.

Date: July 18, 2013 03:57PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> maybe, but it's not like leach is hurting for
> options. he can resign with the SB champs, return
> to the SB contending Texans, play for the Giants,
> all who have interest.

sure but if anyone was offering what he wanted, he would have already signed with the Ravens, Texans or Giants...

Nietzsche

Date: July 18, 2013 03:59PM

if the money is equal, he will. I thinnk he'd be the missing piece on our offense, and it's asinine that Ireland is turning up his nose at the guy

Date: July 18, 2013 04:19PM

I am not an Ireland fan, but I would say the entire NFL is turning up their noses at this guy, or he wouldnt still be a FA..... If we lose him for a low amount then we can question it, but at this point, no one has stepped up to the plate. So obviously he is asking for more the the market will bare for his services. I think he would be a luxury, but he doesnt solve the blocking and protection issues like you think.. Mainly because he will not be on the field that much based on our system.. We dont do many 2 back sets.. You are more likely to see 2 TE's sets or more WR's then 2 backs all that often...

Nietzsche

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.