Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Was Dee's failure to get the stadium deal passed, the reason for him and Ross parting ways, so unexpectedly?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Was Dee's failure to get the stadium deal passed, the reason for him and Ross parting ways, so unexpectedly?
Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: July 17, 2013 10:43AM

Dee was the lead guy in charge of the stadium deal.. It failed miserably and now Dee leaves for the Padres just a couple months later, with no one else in place when he departs... Was Dee's 4 year tenure as CEO of the team a failure? I think the all of sudden unplanned departure is a bit suspicious to me....

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Was Dee's failure to get the stadium deal passed, the reason for him and Ross parting ways, so unexpectedly?
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: July 17, 2013 11:06AM

probably. or dee had decided to leave awhile ago but promised he'd stay till there was resolution one way or the other re the stadium deal. either way there is a connection.

anyway, no big loss. we need somone with football, not baseball, experience for this job, and hopefully some connection to MIA

Re: Was Dee's failure to get the stadium deal passed, the reason for him and Ross parting ways, so unexpectedly?
Posted by: JC ()
Date: July 17, 2013 11:07AM

Good question. Sure seems like either he couldn't play ball in Florida politics and/or he and Ross were not on the same page.

Or, maybe he's only good at baseball (he did a good job with the Red Sox for a few years).

As someone who's lived a long time in both states, I can tell you beyond the obvious, MA is VERY different than FL. The entire state of MA is red sox territory, but that is not the case with FL. Maybe he overestimated the influence a S. Fl issue has relative to the rest of FL. Or, he just took the fall for it and is moving on. Maybe he'll write a tell-all novel someday.

I think he was doing good things with community relations and charities for S FL. I've posted before about his involvement with the charity bike ride in jim Mandich's memory, using his experience from the Pan-Mass challenge up here to popularize the Mandich ride and raise a lot of money. Of course, that doesn't mean much concerning running the actual dolphins organization. I'd love to know the real story.

Good luck to ya Mike, sorry it didn't work out for you in Miami.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: July 17, 2013 11:18AM

Just checked the Newswire feed and quickly learned two things: Mike Dee previously worked for the Padres (so he knows what he's getting into).

and, Daunte Culpepper had to give one of his houses back to the bank.

Date: July 17, 2013 11:30AM

I agree he did a good job with the charity stuff and getting the Dolphins more involved with local community in that type of stuff... His plan for the stadium deal and his reaction afterwards was a foolish way to go.. His failure to secure local house support for the stadium was very naive. Him not biting his tongue about it afterwards was also a misstep.

Ross can definitely use the departure of his point guy, as the fall guy as you said JC to create distance from the wrong moves that were made.... A fresh CEO gives a fresh guy to meet, and try to regain the support he lacked from local politicians and public... I am not sure, what the case was, but Ross and the Dolphins have looked foolish in a lot of their business and political moves.. They seemed out of touch.

Did Dee leave because his boss was forcing this portrayal, or did Ross ask him to leave because he gave him foolish leadership on important issues that didnt work out well, stadium, logo, club liv, season ticket sales etc.. One way or another the departure seems very unexpected and sudden... WOuld Dee have left if the stadium deal passed and we were now in the middle of the pre construction process... I seriously doubt it.... This was about the stadium deal or at least was the concrete block that broke the camels back....

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: July 17, 2013 11:37AM

JC- the lack of support out of the area in the house was a direct reflection of the lack of local support... House members and really any level of political office, take the lead from the members of the district or area for which the bill is proposed... Rule number 1 in this stuff, is you always, always, meet with your district politicians first and gain their support.. No politician from outside the area likes to piss on another one of his peer in his own area... They rarely do that to each other... This wasnt about Weatherford, it was about the local reps IMO... You have to placate those local guys first. Maybe a new streetlight they wanted in their area or streetscape project as part of the bill, etc... SOmething that makes the local reps look good in their voting district... Then you go to the local business and neighborhood associations and then secure the rest of the votes with all of the local support driving the bus....

Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2013 11:42AM by Crowder52.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: July 17, 2013 12:18PM

I don't know if Dee's tenure was a failure but its likely the failed Stadium deal had some impact on his wanting to leave.

He didn't get the stadium deal done but the Dolphins did see a slight increase in the value of the franchise (according to Forbes) so he must have been doing something right.

The fact that there's nobody stepping in right away tells me it was Dee's choice to go and Ross didn't force him out.

Date: July 17, 2013 01:02PM

I like Dee, I think he is a good front office guy on the business side. He was just naive and out of touch in this market a bit. Whether it be a Baseball guy in football, a Boston guy coming to south florida, he seemed a bit out of touch with the local pulse IMO..Everything with the Dolphins seemed so manufactured and fake. It lacked griddy, local historic roots. It has become a lot of what it never was in the past. While trying to put on a pretty face of traditionalism... They didnt need to focus on so many changes over the last 4 years. They needed to focus on what was great about the Dolphins and build from that, not try and appear to be reinventing the wheel in all of the plastic marketing pitches and spins..
I would tend to agree Truth, that Dee bailed on Ross more then Ross asking him to leave, based on who's got a job and who is looking for a replacement.. But for him to just up and bail, something or someone pushed Dee to where he was uncomfortable in his situation. Which put Dee out on the market looking for a new job if that is the case...

Nietzsche

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.