Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland excited about roster.
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland excited about roster.
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: May 18, 2013 05:06AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland excited about roster.
Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: May 18, 2013 05:47AM

It is not the black sheep that prevented them that changed it is the green sheep that paid them mightily... We had more money then anyone this offseason, so normally the high bidders wins... Unless you have snow 90 percent of the time and no life outside football...lol.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: May 18, 2013 07:15AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is not the black sheep that prevented them that
> changed it is the green sheep that paid them
> mightily... We had more money then anyone this
> offseason, so normally the high bidders wins...
> Unless you have snow 90 percent of the time and no
> life outside football...lol.

We have been throwing big money at FA's for a LOOONG time. I don't think its about the fact that we suddenly started paying more.

Yes the money is a factor, it always has been. Just ask guys like Justin Smiley, Jake Grove and Karlos Dansby.

But in my mind, the two reasons people now want to play here and accept our money are: Ryan Tannehill and Joe Philbin.

Philbin is well respected and seen as a stabilizing force.

More importantly though, Tannehill represents a future we haven't had since Marino retired. He is viewed as a legit franchise QB prospect who you can win with by most people around the league. THAT is the single biggest reason we can now get just about anyone to take Ross' money.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: May 18, 2013 08:24AM

#1, it's the money. we rarely were in a position to out bid everyone for players in the past, this year we were. there aren't many folks who have turned down more $$ from us to play elsewhere in the past.

#2, it's the QB. hope at QB means hope for the future, haven't had that in a long time.

#3, the coach, if only because sporano was so horrible and everyone knew he was a dead man coaching.

but really, let's not understate the $$$$$$$ and cap room we had. I am sure ellerbe stays in BAL if they offer him close to the same $. I don't think many folks were offering hartline and gibson what they got, and we emptied the brinks truck for wallace.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: May 18, 2013 10:00AM

I think that this HC & GM are on the same page - something this team isn't used to seeing. There's no doubt that there is a different atmosphere here that everyone can feel, from the players to the fans. Joe Philbin has brought that positive vibe and JI has picked up on it. They work together well evaluating/interviewing players and they're getting respect.

We're going to see these players in better shape at the start of this season for a change. We're not used to seeing that. They have "bought in". Can't remember which player it was, but he stated that he wishes there wasn't a break between OTA's and training camp.

That's the vibe here with this "new" Miami Dolphins team. The players want to work. They want to win. I credit Joe Philbin a lot for insisting that character is just as important as talent when evaluating a player. And guess what people, we're going to see this transition to a winning team right before our very own eyes.

Date: May 18, 2013 10:02AM

Do you think Peyton Manning would have chosen us this year over the Broncos had he been a FA again..
I think the coach and QB are a positive towards how players look at the future and stability of the team. I certainly will not negate that... I just think money drove the bus not the love for Philbin or playing for Ireland and Ross..
For instance if Pitt or the 49ers offered Wallace 13 million a year, I don't think he would say, no way I want to play for Philbin, Ireland and Ross... Once we start to accomplish more on the field then I can buy that, but we haven't done anything but go 7-9 under this most recent regime... It is a little early for that IMO.. But I could say the coach and QB didn't hurt us, where it surely could have have in the past... I could even buy that if the Vikings were a Florida team I think we would have beaten them out based on Philbin and Tannehill's future, over Frasier, Peterson and their 3rd year QB from FSU..

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: May 18, 2013 10:26AM

I agree with you Crowder. Money does talk. In Manning's situation though, I think he still would have gone to the Donks. The dude seems to have a thing for equestrians. Colt's...Broncos...you know what I mean? J/K lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2013 10:28AM by 808phan.

Date: May 18, 2013 10:31AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> Do you think Peyton Manning would have chosen us
> this year over the Broncos had he been a FA
> again..

That's a bit of a silly question isn't it?

Why would we want Manning after Drafting Tannehill in the top 10 and playing him the whole season?

> I think the coach and QB are a positive towards
> how players look at the future and stability of
> the team. I certainly will not negate that... I
> just think money drove the bus not the love for
> Philbin or playing for Ireland and Ross..

The money is the same around the league. Each team has the same cap to deal with and there are always multiple teams with tons of cash to throw around.

A really good player is going to get similar offers from multiple teams. yes, one will be a few dollars better than the others. But the money is constant across the board.

Just look at Wallace. Had more money on the table from Minnesota. He liked our location and our situation (QB and coach) better despite their being a playoff team last year.

Date: May 18, 2013 01:40PM

I was just using Manning as a example of a FA, everyone wanted, money wasnt really a question everyone was going to pay him.. Would he choose us... I understand that it is not some type of real comparison, for we have a young Qb, who is part of the incentive in your position...

The money is not the same to each club each year... WHich is why Pitt couldnt keep, Wallace, Jets couldnt keep Keller, Ravens couldnt keep Ellerbe, etc. We had a lot of money. ..Few teams could pay Wallace 65 million in this FA period.. Wallace had an option of Minnesota or us for the money and terms he wanted. We won, had it been San Fran, or Pitt, I dont believe our regime would have been the deciding factor as you are suggesting... Money created "the bidders in the game" he chose weather and regime over the Vikes... I am pretty sure the Vikes did not offer him much more then 65 million one way or another, so at that point I agree money wasnt really an issue.. But big money was obviously the qualifier to even get in the game with him and his agent...

Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2013 01:43PM by Crowder52.

Date: May 18, 2013 02:21PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> I was just using Manning as a example of a FA,
> everyone wanted, money wasnt really a question
> everyone was going to pay him.. Would he choose
> us... I understand that it is not some type of
> real comparison, for we have a young Qb, who is
> part of the incentive in your position...
>

Ok.

But lets go back to Manning.

We could have paid him as much last year as Denver did, maybe more.

But he didn't choose us. Why is that?

As he said several times in the last year, he felt the team had a roster to compete right now, that it was headed in the right direction, and that he was like the coaching staff/front office.

We never had a shot at Manning. But that wasn't becasue we couldn't pay him. Its because our roster was nowhere near as good as Denver's and our coaching staff wasn't nearly as experienced.

Date: May 18, 2013 02:38PM

^^^ Plus that thing for equestrians that he has smiling smiley

Date: May 18, 2013 03:09PM

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: May 20, 2013 04:08AM

Good answers all..

I think i would have to agree with

#1. Tannehill is here

#2. Joe Philbin is well respected.

We do have a lot of maney to pay now but still i think its more the first 2 above.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.