HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Positive outlook
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Positive outlook
Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: April 30, 2013 09:45AM

I, unlike some, am going into this season with a great deal of positive feeling about how we are going to perform. With the moves the FO has made in the free agency market, in the draft in the last two years, and the fact that we have a marquee QB again under development(Who is being molded by Sherman, who taught Favre, and Philbin, who taught Rodgers) I am for once in a very long time psyched about this season. Yea it comes with a lot of angst and butterfly's but that's simply because Ireland has finally laid it all on the table and there is a lot at risk. Anyway, I was just wondering, what kind of outlook do you guys have going into this season with the roster of players and coaches we have currently?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Positive outlook
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: April 30, 2013 10:29AM

I ALWAYS have a positive outlook at the beginning of the season...and it goes downhill from there.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: April 30, 2013 11:05AM

I definitely believe in the approach. Parcells' approach was so antiquated it was literally laughable (though not to us fans). We seem to be focusing on passing well on offense and stopping the pass and creating turnovers on defense. It would be tough to argue that these aren't critical elements of competing in today's game.

Last year I think we benefitted from some teams really rolling over in their losses to us. 4 of 7 wins had us take a big lead and the lesser team really never competed. I think this year we'll have to win a lot more of the Seattle-type games.

That said, it's very clear that the team is being built for a particular style of play...which has proven to be a winning style recently...so I feel very good about 2013 so far.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: April 30, 2013 11:18AM

I will tell you what gave me a good feeling about next year, during Finfest this past weekend, Jesse had Dawn, Mike Sherman and Ross all on the air together.. And Mike Sherman who is not really a cheer leader BS type of a guy, said (paraphrased) I can guarantee you one thing about next year, he said Tannehill will be the most improved QB from year 1 to year 2 in the entire NFL next year.. He was pretty emphatic about it... It really took me a little by surprise, cause that is not Sherman's style and he has never talked about Tannehill in that type of manner before.. He is an it is what it is type of guy... But he threw out his guarantee with conviction...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2013 04:47PM by Crowder52.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: April 30, 2013 11:22AM

this is the first year in a long time that we have been agressive in free agency and there are two reasons.....

1. We Are well below the cap.

2. Irelands job depends on this years success.

PS. If these move do not deliver some positive results, he has to be fired.

BTW i saw the other post on the basketball player thread.....I guess some moron from where i work is at it again.

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: April 30, 2013 03:17PM

Yea the cap situation is a good one. Before we sign our draftees, we are about 11 mill under the cap. Next year will be a different story. There are a lot of deals in their last years, and Wallace's contract will count something like 15 mill against the cap. Lots of deals will need to be redone to keep people around to keep this train choo chooing.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: April 30, 2013 04:33PM

Good to hear about Sherman's opinion of RT. Probably because he knows how fast he learns and how dedicated he is...He saw the growth at A&M going from WR to QB.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: April 30, 2013 04:45PM

montequi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I ALWAYS have a positive outlook at the beginning
> of the season...and it goes downhill from there.

LOL. Not when Henne was the QB and Saprano the coach. We were doomed. Lately though I'm looking really forward to training camp. thumbs upsmileys with beer

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 30, 2013 04:47PM

this is the best I've felt about out team going into the season in a LONG time

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: April 30, 2013 04:58PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> this is the best I've felt about out team going
> into the season in a LONG time

I agree since we went 11-5 with Pennington.. I am a little nervous though, how all of these piece will come together, the starting team is going to be completely different on both sides of the ball.. Tackle, RB, TE, WR's, LB's, DE, CB's and a young QB... That is a pretty remarkable amount of moves, on paper I like it. But who knows what we are going to look like. Philbin and the coaches have alot on their plate, but this will clearly start to look like Philbins vision of the team...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: May 01, 2013 09:20AM

Odenn Wrote:
> I, unlike some, am going into this season with a
> great deal of positive feeling about how we are
> going to perform. With the moves the FO has made
> in the free agency market, in the draft in the
> last two years, and the fact that we have a
> marquee QB again under development(Who is being
> molded by Sherman, who taught Favre, and Philbin,
> who taught Rodgers) I am for once in a very long
> time psyched about this season. Yea it comes with
> a lot of angst and butterfly's but that's simply
> because Ireland has finally laid it all on the
> table and there is a lot at risk. Anyway, I was
> just wondering, what kind of outlook do you guys
> have going into this season with the roster of
> players and coaches we have currently?

Odenn, I am glad you have the outlook you have concerning the Fins.

Me? I am always hoping for the best, i.e., play well, be in every game, battle for the Division, and if at all possible, get into the playoffs. But....to temper that, I have followed the Dolphins for a long...long....long....time, and no longer have an "excitement" to my feeling when the season starts. This team, and management and coaches, have to show me some consistency (i.e., being relevant again) before I get my hopes up too high.

This year? I am looking for a winning season with Miami being in the hunt. On paper, it looks like Ireland did a good job in the Free Agent market, although Wallace may be the only "sure thing," and in the draft....who knows?

But, it's going to be up to the coaching staff to now put together a winning team. I think Philbin, et al, can do it, but we will just have to wait and see.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.