HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          So far
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
So far
Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: April 27, 2013 11:00AM

1- Dion Jordan, DE Oregon
2- Jamar Taylor, CB Boise St
3- Dallas Thomas, OL Tennesse
3- Will Davis, CB Utah St
4- Jelani Jenkins, OLB Florida
4- Dion Sims, TE Mich St.
5- Mike Gillesee, RB Florida
5- Caleb Sturgis, K Florida
7- Don Jones, DB Arkansas St.

There are other players I'd have preferred in certain spots but I like the draft.

I love the first 3 picks.

For me, the key to this draft is Will Davis. If he's worth trading back into round 3 for then there's not a lot to complain about.

Jordan is a beast. Speed, Speed and more Speed.

Taylor was my second favorite CB in this draft after DJ Hayden.

Thomas is an athletic Olineman who played well at LT and LG.

Davis is the question mark for me. Have no idea what we got with him.

I like Jelani Jenkins. Think he's a good scheme fit for us. More speed for our defense.

I like Dion Sims a lot. Not an explosive/fast TE but the perfect #2. Great blocker and has real good hands.

Gillesse is a real good RB. No complaints there.

Sturgis is the best K in college and if we'd have had him last year we'd have been 9-7 and not 7-9.

My only real issue with this draft is the trade up for Davis. I'd rather have just stayed in the original 3rd round spot and taken Stedman Bailey. And then looked for Davis in round 4. But that's a small thing to complain about on my part if Davis is a good player. Can't wait for camp.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2013 07:29PM by THE Truth.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: So far
Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: April 27, 2013 11:09AM

This draft is looking real good to me. Really great job by the Dolphins brain trust for once.

Another plus is it seems all the division rivals are having mediocre-poor drafts.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: April 27, 2013 11:15AM

Yo Truth,

thanks for posting this quick ref summary -- much appreciated.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: April 27, 2013 11:28AM

My early impression is...

this draft is littered with great athletes with huge upside... but...

the dreaded "medical" flag is on a number of them and...

inexperience and/or lack of top competition is on others... but

I do get the feeling we're taking "calculated risks" and swinging for the fence.

All in all, I can't disagree with that approach whatsoever.

Like I said yesterday -- Mr. Ireland is playing with his big boy pants on. And that's good news. Now we get to see (in reality mode) if all these up down gyrations actually produce results on the football field.

But yea -- it looks like Ireland and Philbin have hauled in a good harvest of young talent with big upside.

BNF.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: April 27, 2013 02:34PM

At Arkansas State's pro day, Jones ran a 4.42- and 4.40-second 40-yard dash, had a 42-inch vertical jump and 10-foot-7 broad jump. He ran the short-shuttle in 4.48 seconds, the three-cone drill in 7.19 seconds and had 17 reps of 225 pounds.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: April 28, 2013 01:42PM

OK, except for Jones, I am posting what Pro Football Weekly Draft issue had to say about the guys we got (and remember, this was published before the Combine). PFW didn't have anything on Jones.

D. Jordan: 6'6'', 239 lbs, 4.75-40. A long-limbed, fluid-moving athlete with surprising play strength given his linear frame. Jordan has an intriguing skill set that could transfer well to the ROLB spot in a 3-4 front, with versatility to contribute as a DRE or SLB in a 4-3 front. Could require patience to develop. 121 tackles, 29 tackles for loss, 14.5 sacks.

W. Davis: 5'11 1/4", 182 lbs, 4.50-40. Athletic, smooth-moving, relatively inexperienced cover man with adequate size and length. Ranked among the nation's most productive pass defenders in his first full season as a starter. Talented, emerging prospect with upside and versatility. 23 pbu, 5 ints.

M. Gillislee: 5'11 1/4", 207 lbs, 4.50-40 Determined, instinctive zone runner emerged as a senior after the departure of Chris Rainey and Jeff Demps. Does not have an elite trait, but is very solid across the board and can become a quality producer in a zone-based ground game. 389 carries, 2,072 yds, 5.3 ave, 20 TDs, 23 catches, 182 yds, 2 TDs.

J. Jenkins: 6'0", 235 lbs, 4.65-40. Undersized, smart, athletic, run-around linebacker who played outside and inside at Florida, but his best chance in the pros will be as a "Will," and he could increase his value by proving useful in nickel and on special teams. 182 tkls, 17 tfl, 6 sacks, 7 pbu, 5 int.

D. Sims: 6'5", 280 lbs, 4.80-40. Could have used another season to develop, and was affected by mid-season ankle injury, but Sims, a high school hoops star, is an intriguing developmental prospect with three-down potential given his size and athleticism. Immaturity could be limiting. 59 rec, 707 yds, 12 ypc, 8 TSs.

C. Sturgis: 5'9 7/8", 186 lbs, 5.00-40. A highly dependable, clutch, long-range placekicker who will hold down a job for 10 years. 70 out of 88 FGs, long of 56, 128-134 xps.

J. Taylor: 5'10 3/4", 192 lbs, 4.42-40. Good-sized, quick-footed, loose-hipped, short-armed cornerback who competes and has the ability to stay in the hip pocket. Versatility to play over the slot increases his value. 137 tkls, 18 pbus, 7 ints, 6 ff.

D. Thomas: 6'5 1/4", 308 lbs, 5.25-40. Well-built, athletic positional blocker moved inside from left tackle as a senior and looked much more comfortable with help on both sides. Has clear starter potential.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.