HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Be Bold
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Be Bold
Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: April 22, 2013 05:10PM

I want Tavon Austin and Lane Johnson. There, I said it.

We have the ammo to make this happen, and I would rather have 2 great rookies then a bunch of mediocre-rookies, which would likely happen if we trade down.

To get Austin and Johnson, I would be willing to trade the following
Pick 1-12 (which may actually land one of these guys)
both 2nd round picks
one of our 3's
Davon Bess

Yes, this would require knowing exactly where these guys would fall and would require finding willing trade partners, but hey... I can dream, can't I? I want a dynamic WR that would be impossible to defend. I want to see Austin, Miller and Wallace on the field together. And I want a good, young, reasonably priced LT.

I would use the other 3rd rounder on a CB.

I like Vernon and Odrick is decent. Management also likes a pass rusher from the practice squad a lot, although I can't remember his name (Shelby?). So, personally, I don't see DE as an early draft need.

This plan would also leave us with much more cap space than we would have if we signed Albert. Cap space after the draft can be very nice to have, when rosters start getting trimmed.

We could look for a DE in the 2nd half of the draft, but this plan would fill most of our holes, so we could really focus on late round value in the 2nd half of the draft.

I expect to be called an idiot for suggesting this, but I would love to see us be bold and go for two great players in the draft.

Having said all this, I would put the chance of this happening at about 1 in a million. So I'm saying there's a chance!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Be Bold
Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: April 22, 2013 05:26PM

I think there are OT like Watson that may in the long run be just as good

Need a DE, maybe 2. An effective pass rush makes DB's look much better

need an RB in 2 or 3

Agree, why sign Albert to a big deal? is he that much better than Long or a younger draft pick? Don't kill us cap wise for 2014

Date: April 22, 2013 05:31PM

Is Watson a guy who can start at LT immediately? That's one thing I want in this draft.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 22, 2013 05:34PM

is Lane Johnson an immediate LT starter? Or just a great althlete who runs fast? Hasn't he only played like 1 or 2 years on the OL? Not the kind of guy I want to trade up from 12 to acquire.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: April 22, 2013 07:05PM

Watson. is an incredible athlete, former hoop player, but likely not there with our second

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: April 23, 2013 01:59AM

Northeast Fin Fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is Watson a guy who can start at LT immediately?
> That's one thing I want in this draft.

Outside of Joeckel, Fisher and Johnson every OT in this draft is a project at LT.

But that doesn't mean they can't hold the fort for a season while they learn on the job.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: April 23, 2013 02:39AM

Pretty sure we'd have to be "bolder" to get both of those players, might have to go as high as 6th to get Lane, then move from the second round back up to around 12th to get Austin. Hope you plan on parting with a lot of picks (possibly next yrs 1st) to do this.

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: April 23, 2013 11:17AM

Austin do not want at all. Do not need to spend a 12 on a punt returner

Posted by: coopdogg3 ()
Date: April 23, 2013 11:21AM

Yeah, no-go on Austin. If we're dreaming, I say go with Johnson and Milliner.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: April 23, 2013 11:30AM

I thought for sure that Miami had a lot of holes to fill, despite what they did during the FA period.

Miami needs as many picks as possible and hope they get lucky with at least 50% of them.

Trading up for a couple of guys is not going to get the Fins where they want to be (especially Austin). I like Austin, but not in the first or losing any picks to get him. Go after Johnson in the first? It's a gamble as he didn't play that position that long in college, so he's still learning on the job. NFL defenders will be eating him up early on, and the QB will suffer for it.

If Miami can trade back and somehow Johnson is still there, or he is there at 12, then OK. But, I highly doubt that. Probably be gone in the top 5.

But, I really hope Martin can (at least) hold the fort until he shows what he did in college, then that position will be fine. Right now, the more pressing need is on the right side.

I am saying this as I think the coaching staff is going to give Martin at least this year to get the position down. Go after a couple of tackles in the draft and maybe Miami can get lucky and a starter emerges.

Date: April 23, 2013 01:33PM

I have a feeling that 5 or 6 years from now that teams will look back and kick themselves for not grabbing Austin when they had the chance.

Posted by: cedaphins ()
Date: April 23, 2013 02:51PM

Hers boldness: Trade pick 12 to 49ers for picks 31 and 34(2nd overall in 2nd round) then pick:

31 K.Long OT
34 D. Trufant/D. Slay CB
42 A. Brown OLB (weak side)
54 Q. Patton WR

Date: April 23, 2013 05:27PM

Date: April 23, 2013 08:56PM

Date: April 24, 2013 02:54AM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:

> Tough. Become a 49ers fan then. We are still a Sub
> Par .500 team trying to improve. The more picks
> the better.

In 2012, we were a team that was 7-9, but...
we had no deep threat - which has been addressed by adding the best deep threat in the NFL
we had a rookie QB with limited college experience - who now has a full season of NFL experience behind him
we lost two games that were winnable if very make-able FGs were made

This is not the Chiefs, Browns, Jets, Bills or Raiders. The Dolphins are a good team that no one will want to play in 2013.

So my point is that we don't need to add a bunch of marginal players. Instead, let's try to get 2 great players out of this draft. I like Johnson and Austin; but I would take 2 other great players.

And by the way, I have no interest in becoming a 49ers fan, but thanks for the offer.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: April 24, 2013 11:27AM

Northeast, he really reminds me of Ted Ginn.

Date: April 24, 2013 12:14PM

Austin is coming off seasons of 1186 and 1289 yards receiving with 101 and 114 receptions in those seasons. Ginn's most yards receiving in a single college season was 803. His highest number of receptions was 59.

Ginn never ran for more than 113 yards in a single college season. Austin ran for 643 yards last year.

Ginn was a TD threat. He totaled 11 in his last year at Ohio State.
But Austin had 17 last year.

Austin is much more of an accomplished WR and overall player than Ginn was. Not even close really.

Everyone was shocked when we grabbed Ginn at 9. Nobody will be shocked if Austin is gone at 9.

Date: April 24, 2013 12:37PM

Good points. How are his hands?... Which was the REAL problem with Ginn.

Date: April 24, 2013 02:11PM

Depends on who you ask.

WalterFootball - list reliable hands as one of his strengths.

This seems fair to me from NFL.com:
"Hands are good, but not exceptional; will let some hot passes through his small hands and into his chest."

Date: April 24, 2013 02:28PM

The latter sounds like Ted Ginn. The hot passes bit that is.

Tanny throws a much harder ball than Chad Henne and Ginn couldn't even handle his passes.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: April 24, 2013 02:50PM

Northeast Fin Fan Wrote:
> I have a feeling that 5 or 6 years from now that
> teams will look back and kick themselves for not
> grabbing Austin when they had the chance.

If he becomes a star and remains injuury free, there's no doubt teams will be kicking themselves, but not that hard. drinking smiley

I hope he does play well (but not against Miami).

Date: April 24, 2013 02:57PM

Northeast Fin Fan Wrote:
> TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
>
> > Tough. Become a 49ers fan then. We are still a
> Sub
> > Par .500 team trying to improve. The more picks
> > the better.
>
>
> In 2012, we were a team that was 7-9, but...
> we had no deep threat - which has been addressed
> by adding the best deep threat in the NFL
> we had a rookie QB with limited college experience
> - who now has a full season of NFL experience
> behind him
> we lost two games that were winnable if very
> make-able FGs were made
>
> This is not the Chiefs, Browns, Jets, Bills or
> Raiders. The Dolphins are a good team that no one
> will want to play in 2013.
>
> So my point is that we don't need to add a bunch
> of marginal players. Instead, let's try to get 2
> great players out of this draft. I like Johnson
> and Austin; but I would take 2 other great
> players.
>
> And by the way, I have no interest in becoming a
> 49ers fan, but thanks for the offer.

M you are assuming a lot. No one is on this current Team bandwagon more then I. Look up Ryan Tannihill fan ad there is a Picture of me. I'm stoked about the free agents we have just gotten. But you need to Woah the horses just a bit. You can't build a Team just throwing money and players at it. The Jets almost made it , they did get to two AFC Championships, but they eventually crashed and burned. You need to draft well. Th best way to do that is to draft in large numbers. Picking in the 1st round does not not guarantee squat. Look at all thes uccess we had with Devon bess and Wes Welker. They were not even drafted! They were walk ons!

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: April 24, 2013 07:00PM

Date: April 24, 2013 07:13PM

LOL. You can tell when I'm home and when I'm on my phone.....the little Keyboard breeds mistakes. confused smiley

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: April 24, 2013 07:28PM

Can you believe that just in the last month, I got my first and only ever cellphone that had a screen instead of punch keys. My fingers are so fat and I can hardly touch screen dial numbers let alone, do this chatboard on it Treasure. I type on my laptop and desktop.

Date: April 24, 2013 09:57PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> Can you believe that just in the last month, I got
> my first and only ever cellphone that had a screen
> instead of punch keys. My fingers are so fat and
> I can hardly touch screen dial numbers let alone,
> do this chatboard on it Treasure. I type on my
> laptop and desktop.

We do have a lot in common!I hate Cell phones with a passion. NEVER use him when I'm not working. But everything at work has gone paperless. Overtime and details....you need to be in the loop or you will miss out bigtime$$$. So at work I catch a break and see whats going on with my Phins. Curt and Phins .com has been my go to Information going on 16 yrs now!

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.