HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Lane Johnson, worth moving up?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Lane Johnson, worth moving up?
Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: March 30, 2013 02:23PM

Our first round could be determined by how much we, and others (especially Chargers), feel Lane Johnson is the real deal

We could jump the Chargers, but they could trade up and take him also

So the question is do we a trade a second & 12 to move up for Johnson or do we stand pat or trade down and go after a Menelik Watson, Kyle Long or Terron Armstead?

I would try to sign Bryant McKinnie for a 1-2 year then draft Armstead, Watson or long to give them or Martin some time to find our future LT. Not sure Johnson is that much better than these other guys. Long is a big strong guy. Watson & Armstead really athletic.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lane Johnson, worth moving up?
Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: March 30, 2013 02:27PM

David Quessenberry's ability to play almost any position could allow us to take him even in the 3rd

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: March 30, 2013 02:32PM

jlyell13 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Our first round could be determined by how much
> we, and others (especially Chargers), feel Lane
> Johnson is the real deal
>
> We could jump the Chargers, but they could trade
> up and take him also
>
>
> So the question is do we a trade a second & 12 to
> move up for Johnson or do we stand pat or trade
> down and go after a Menelik Watson, Kyle Long or
> Terron Armstead?
>
> I would try to sign Bryant McKinnie for a 1-2 year
> then draft Armstead, Watson or long to give them
> or Martin some time to find our future LT. Not
> sure Johnson is that much better than these other
> guys. Long is a big strong guy. Watson & Armstead
> really athletic.

If you go by the trade value chart it would probably cost us a 3rd to trade up 3-4 spots in to the 8-9 and get Johnson.

a 2nd could get us up to 4-5-6 range with a shot at Joeckel or Fisher.

My personal favorite is Fisher.

If we could get up to #5 or #6 and take him at the cost of our 2nd round pick from Indy I'd probably do it.

If we traded up a few spots and coughed up or 3rd from Chicago to get Johnson I could live with that as well.

I hate to give up the pick in this draft but those wouldn't be bad deals.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 30, 2013 03:37PM

can I say HELL NO??

Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: March 30, 2013 04:54PM

Just curious Berk why hell no? The man ran a 4.7 at over 300 lbs, and you say hell no. I say hell yes what an athlete, but he might not be worth the overall 12th pick. So like I said before trade down, and pick up more valuable draft picks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2013 05:36PM by Finshady.

Date: March 30, 2013 05:13PM

who cares how fast an OL runs the 40? this guy is the 3d best OT in the draft, and in a draft that by all accounts has more value in the 2d round than the top of the first. plus we take an OL in the 1st and 2d round like every year. trading the #12 and a 2d round pick for the 3d best OT in the draft (who was a QB just a few years ago and lacks experience) is just a terrible idea

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: March 30, 2013 06:31PM

Yo berk you gotta keep in mind soLong was a horrible #1 pick who was NEVER (in his pharmaceutical best) a top shelf state-of-the-art N F L LT -- because of his Herman Munster 80lb. feet and overall lack of athletic pass pro chops. OK?

Hermie was a bulldozer LT at his best who looked kiss ass blocking for single wing "wild cat" but was unsustainable due to his " pharmaceutical implosion" wink and prior collegiate surgerical history.

That said. Yea, I know we'd like a super sexy #12 but big time stable LT pass pro is essential in the vaginal football league and now that we've got a great vagina (metaphorically speaking of Thill) we need a stud too keep that vagina clean.

Know what I mean?

Date: March 30, 2013 06:36PM

is Johnson that tampon?

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: March 31, 2013 08:55AM

I'm having a HARD time keeping my mind on football.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: March 31, 2013 03:31PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> who cares how fast an OL runs the 40? this guy is
> the 3d best OT in the draft, and in a draft that
> by all accounts has more value in the 2d round
> than the top of the first.

It's all relative. It doesn't matter if he is the 3rd best but rather what grade he carries. Some say Fisher and Joeckel are the best and very similar in talent level. Some say Fisher is better. They also say Johnson is a very close 3rd. Some may have Johnson ranked equal with the other two. It's not just the numbers alone. He was great at the senior bowl and the combine.

The 40 isn't the end all be all grade for a lineman but the 10 yard split is what is important. It shows how fast they get out of their stance. LJ had a 1.61. This shows his ability to get to the second level and block. That was a better number than Terron Armstead who was the fastest lineman (40) at the combine.

Joeckel had a 1.67. Fisher had a 1.70.

That is huge when he goes against speed rushers.

plus we take an OL in
> the 1st and 2d round like every year. trading the
> #12 and a 2d round pick for the 3d best OT in the
> draft (who was a QB just a few years ago and lacks
> experience) is just a terrible idea

It wouldn't be a 2nd round pick if we swap with Tennessee. That represents 100 points which is equivalent to the 100th pick (4th round), Chances are we would have to give them our second 3rd round pick. We can make that up by trading some of our non system fitting players. Maybe we can even do a player trade with no high picks.

It doesn't matter what happened in the past (with Long) and Pouncey turned out to be a great pick. It's still a good value and fills a gaping hole and should make our O-line very athletic overall. Giving RT time to throw ( and off IR) is priceless IMO. That also means all of our lineman have the ability to get to the second level and/or pull.

We also get a starter locked up for 4-5 years at a discount rate compared to a FA tackle.

It's not sexy but it is a very expensive position. All that being said, we may end up taking a RT in the second round. it all depends on what they really think of Martin as a LT. If he fails to get better than Johnson is an even better pick.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: April 01, 2013 02:14AM

If the question is;

"So the question is do we a trade a second & 12 to move up for Johnson"

Then the answer is;

berkeley223 Wrote:
> can I say HELL NO??

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: April 01, 2013 02:38AM

Wait. Moving UP to get an OT? Didn't we learn already from Vernon Carey?

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: April 01, 2013 03:02AM

One has nothing to do with the other IMO. Do we not draft Tannehill because Chad Henne was a flop? Are we banned from drafting a DT because Odrick hasn't been a stud? You keep trying. It all depends on where they have him ranked and who is available when pick 10 rolls around.

I would not give up a 2nd round pick unless it is in a package to move up into the lower half of the first round for a second 1st round pick.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2013 03:03AM by eesti.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.