HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Keenan Allen
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Keenan Allen
Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: March 21, 2013 05:24PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Keenan Allen
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: March 21, 2013 06:34PM

Move along, Folks. Nothing to see here.

We signed Wallace.

Nothing to see unless he drops down to the point that we get him with our second number 2.

Prior to that, we need to work on other positions.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: March 22, 2013 03:40AM

I don't know how you take him in the first round at this point.

Couldn't run at the combine.

Couldn't run at his pro day.

For his sake, I hope he gets to run a 40 before the draft.

For our sake I hope he doesn't. If he has question marks about his health and his speed he might fall to #42.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: March 22, 2013 04:06AM

He is following the route of Michael Crabtree. Some said not running at combine or pro day would hurt his draft stock. He was drafted in the first round...10th overall.

It was also a sililar draft in 2009. No "can't miss" prospects but plenty of depth. It actually turned out several productive WR's (including Hartline).

Allen is scheduled to run next month before the draft. He may be better of not running unless he can get under 4.5

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: March 22, 2013 10:43AM

THE Truth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't know how you take him in the first round
> at this point.
>
> Couldn't run at the combine.
>
> Couldn't run at his pro day.
>
> For his sake, I hope he gets to run a 40 before
> the draft.
>
> For our sake I hope he doesn't. If he has
> question marks about his health and his speed he
> might fall to #42.

WR at 12? Patterson will be gone (probably at #8). Allen will be there -- Miami MUST pass on him. Austin will be there. Will Ireland pull a cat out of his hat and grab him?

As I have said on numerous occasions, pick #12 is going to depend on what Ireland does with the remaining FAs. Signs Winston, OT is done. Signs Moore, OG is done. OL is no longer a need. Can draft OL in later rounds.

Pass rusher....has Ireland really been serious about anyone, up to this point? I am hearing rumors of Dumerville, but I believe he will be coming with a high price tag, so I highly doubt Miami will go there. It seems as tho Ireland is not really interested in anyone left on the market. Miami is hurting on the CB position. Don't really know what Miami presently has on the roster, but we do know Ireland would like to sign a vet to help shore up the position.

So....with what I said (above) being an uncertainty, a pass rusher should be the first pick for Miami. If Ireland doesn't place a high mark on anyone who is remaining at 12, he will trade down if he can get a taker. If he can't trade down, then whomever is the BPA on the board, that's where he will go. Remember, at 12, there (shouldn't) be any blue chippers available. At CB, there is no one worthy of the #12 pick, except for Milliner, who will (probably) be gone in the top 5. Ireland needs to go CB with his first pick of the second round.

Again, WR should be taken in the second round, unless, again, Ireland fools us all and grabs Austin at 12.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: March 23, 2013 10:51PM

I still take a WR at #12 this year regardless of any other needs (see below) if I am Ireland. We will need to get new blood on the team in time for them to develop and we need to do this while we have other options playing for us. We can take Austin or Patterson at #12 and let them return kicks for a year while playing spot duty at WR. This will enable them to be productive for us, possibly providing big plays, while learning how to be an NFL WR.

My Draft would go like this:

#1 WR, (if Austin or Patterson are still available and DE, or CB otherwise)
#2 TE, DE, CB, OT
#3 DE, CB, LB, OT
#4 and so forth...BPA

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 24, 2013 03:58AM

Austin makes sense at 12. I don't think Patterson or any other wr does

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: March 24, 2013 05:13AM

We have more important holes than WR at 12. A good receiver will be available in the 2nd rnd Woods (USC), Williams (BAY) or Patton (LA Tech).

Date: March 24, 2013 07:27AM

Date: March 24, 2013 12:04PM

Ken Wrote:
> I still take a WR at #12 this year regardless of
> any other needs (see below) if I am Ireland. We
> will need to get new blood on the team in time for
> them to develop and we need to do this while we
> have other options playing for us. We can take
> Austin or Patterson at #12 and let them return
> kicks for a year while playing spot duty at WR.
> This will enable them to be productive for us,
> possibly providing big plays, while learning how
> to be an NFL WR.
>
> My Draft would go like this:
>
> #1 WR, (if Austin or Patterson are still available
> and DE, or CB otherwise)
> #2 TE, DE, CB, OT
> #3 DE, CB, LB, OT
> #4 and so forth...BPA

Ken, what if OL, CB and pass rusher have not been addressed by draft day....still go WR?

If that top notch OL or pass rusher is there at 12, shouldn't Ireland address that? I'm not putting CB in there because after Milliner, no CB is worth taking at 12.

If Ireland shores up those positions in FA, then I can agree with ya, WR could go at 12. But, again, if WR is the BPA on Ireland's big board when Miami's turn comes up, then it's simple.

Date: March 24, 2013 12:05PM

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: March 24, 2013 12:18PM

We dont have a top tackle or a #1 CB.... That is probably the direction we have to go with our first couple picks... I want to draft a WR high as much as anybody but right now our roster is not going to allow that to happen once again....
We will be going on 6 years or so with our highest drafted WR being Patrick Turner in the 3rd... Followed by Hartline and Gates in the 4th, Bj cunningham in the 6th and Rishard Mathews in the 7th... That is Irelands tenure of drafting WRs... with the direction the NFL has gone in, I am not sure that is going to get it done.... Which lead us to overpaying for the position in FA to hide our inability to draft the position well...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: March 24, 2013 12:36PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> We dont have a top tackle or a #1 CB.... That is
> probably the direction we have to go with our
> first couple picks... I want to draft a WR high as
> much as anybody but right now our roster is not
> going to allow that to happen once again....

Only if you look at it from the perspective that we need to fill every hole by the time the draft is over. If you think we are at the point roster-wise where its now longer about collecting the best players we can find, but filling needs.

I think we are still in the "collect as many good players as possible" phase of our 3 year roster transition so WR should be in the mix early for the right player at the right pick...just like every other position.

Date: March 24, 2013 12:50PM

Truth- if we dont sign a starting tackle or CB, those are holes u cant hide... I am all for collecting the best players but not when our young developing QB is going to get crushed in order to do so.. Or opposing number 1 WR's are going to run rampant in the secondary.... If the roster is the same come draft day, do you honestly think I am wrong that we are going to draft those positions early?

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: March 24, 2013 01:06PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> Truth- if we dont sign a starting tackle or CB,
> those are holes u cant hide... I am all for
> collecting the best players but not when our young
> developing QB is going to get crushed in order to
> do so.. Or opposing number 1 WR's are going to run
> rampant in the secondary.... If the roster is the
> same come draft day, do you honestly think I am
> wrong that we are going to draft those positions
> early?

Crowder, I'm not sure why you are scared we won't sign an OT and a CB.

We have tons of cap room and have shown in the past few weeks that we will use it.

But even if we didn't sign either a CB or an OT...we have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds. We can draft starting caliber guys at both positions AND still take a WR in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd.

The order in which we take them doesn't matter. Finding the best players we can does.

Date: March 24, 2013 01:48PM

When was the last time Ireland hit on 3 picks in a draft let alone in the first 3 rds? What is available at this point at OT or CB isn't exactly making me feel confident. If we traded for Albert, I would feel better... If not we need to get one of those stud LT's or Warmack in the draft...
I find it funny I am rooting for an Olineman and you are pushing for the WR... This is like the twilight zone from both our positions about a month ago...

Nietzsche

Date: March 24, 2013 02:17PM

Date: March 24, 2013 02:54PM

You cant tell what any of those picks are going to be at this point long term.. Dont you find it odd, that you have to claim last year, after none of those picks u mentioned have solidified themselves in those spots as hits. And every other draft with a track record hasn't.. All of the picks you mentioned obviously fall into the rank of maybes... But lots of our draft picks have fallen into the maybe category after year one, but very few have made it to their second contracts... I am all for BPA, But if we have holes next year at that position because we took BPA and got a second tier guy at a hole that doesnt work out, I am not impressed... On draft day, we will look at what we do and see if what I think we will do is right... I think the glaring holes will over ride BPA... If the roster looks like it does now, we will fill the holes early, and i am sure some BPA will be in the mix... BuT CB and OT will be addressed early. All that being said, if a blue chip falls to you in the first you probably take him... Tavon Austin at 12 is not a blue chip falling to you..

Nietzsche

Date: March 24, 2013 03:26PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> You cant tell what any of those picks are going to
> be at this point long term.. Dont you find it odd,
> that you have to claim last year, after none of
> those picks u mentioned have solidified themselves
> in those spots as hits.

Those guys are all players. Are they all home runs? I don't know. That will have to play out. Could be they are all singles.

But if you can't see the difference between those 4 guys and busts like Pat White I can't explain it to you.

> Tavon Austin at 12 is not a blue chip falling to you..

Lol...Its too early to tell if last years picks were good picks but its not too early to write off a hot prospect who hasn't even been drafted yet, let alone played a season in the NFL.

Good one!

Date: March 24, 2013 05:00PM

I just said he isn't considered a blue chip, no draft pundits nor myself consider him one of the top 5 or so blue chip players in this draft... I am not saying he isnt a possible "hot" prospect, but he is by no means one of the elite cant miss guys... Saying he is 5"8 170 pounds is generous... Not a lot of guys are able to shine in the NFL at his size...

Nietzsche

Date: March 25, 2013 03:04AM

He measured in at the combine at 5'8 174.

.....................................................................................

Date: March 25, 2013 03:51AM

eesti Wrote:
> He measured in at the combine at 5'8 174.

How many guys are successful in the NFL at that size? Size is definitely a factor with him...

Nietzsche

Date: March 25, 2013 03:55AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> eesti Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > He measured in at the combine at 5'8 174.
>
>
> How many guys are successful in the NFL at that
> size? Size is definitely a factor with him... Do you remember another guy from West Virginia, that was 6 foot 190lbs and got knocked the F out, and still hasn't returned to the NFl.. Not saying that Austin can't do it, just that him getting carried off the field in a stretcher is a real possibility..

Nietzsche

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: March 25, 2013 09:33AM

Tavon Austin is a returner PERIOD. Have no desire to draft a midget returner at 12.

Date: March 25, 2013 10:26AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> eesti Wrote:
> -----
> > He measured in at the combine at 5'8 174.
>
>
> How many guys are successful in the NFL at that
> size? Size is definitely a factor with him...

and??? all I did was state his size because you said 170lbs was "being generous"...implying that he weighed less than that when in fact he weighs more.

Date: March 25, 2013 10:42AM

dolphin Wrote:
> Tavon Austin is a returner PERIOD. Have no desire
> to draft a midget returner at 12.

I don't necessarily agree with that, dolphin.

It goes without saying that he will be a slot guy. How successful, I would venture to say, depends on the guys around him.

Date: March 25, 2013 11:12AM

eesti Wrote:
> Crowder52 Wrote:
> -----
> > eesti Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > He measured in at the combine at 5'8 174.
> >
> >
> > How many guys are successful in the NFL at that
> > size? Size is definitely a factor with him...
>
> and??? all I did was state his size because you
> said 170lbs was "being generous"...implying that
> he weighed less than that when in fact he weighs
> more.

Well just like a lot of other players maybe he manipulated his weight for the combine... That is definitely the most he has ever weighed in at in 4 years.... Are you really arguing about 5-6 pounds for a set up weight measurement when size is his biggest question? Whether he is 168 or 174, he is a midget in the NFL and most guys his size get knocked the F out like his fellow West Virginia Alumni Pat White... Who was 190lb and 6 ft, and far to small to run with the ball in the NFL, as proven by his last play, which he was carted off on a stretcher... So sorry, 174 and 5"8 at the combine does nothing to make me feel better about his size... He isn't a blue chip draft pick, his size makes that clear to most... Maybe if he can get up another 5 I will completely change my mind, I mean 5"8, 179 is a beast in the NFL eye rolling smiley...

Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2013 02:12PM by Crowder52.

Date: March 25, 2013 02:16PM

Date: March 25, 2013 04:37PM

Yeah he probably swallowed a bag of marbles so he could gain 4 lbs.

Date: March 26, 2013 12:36PM

Are you guys not at all concerned about his size? NFL CB's and safeties are going to connect like that Pat White shot, which was inflicted by a CB, sooner or later... I like Austin he is definitely a special player, but his size in the NFL, not so sure about... Playing WVU schedule is not going to be the same as facing NFL LBs, Safeties, and CB's... He will probably shine, but the odds are against him on his career being very long... Although it is not impossible, Warrick Dunn was about the same size, another 15 pounds of muscle.... which Austin could put on... Dunn had one hell of a career for his size, however he is certainly the exception not the rule... That being said I think Austin at 12 is a pretty big risk... Though whoever drafts him will get an exciting player...

Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2013 12:55PM by Crowder52.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.