HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          1st pick in the draft...
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
1st pick in the draft...
Posted by: eesti ()
Date: February 11, 2013 06:27AM

Poll
Who will the Chiefs take?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
10 votes were received.
Geno Smith 2

20%
Luke Joeckel 4

40%
Best DE 0

0%
BEST DT 1

10%
other 3

30%

Any ideas on who KC takes with the first overall pick in the 2013 draft? This could have a huge impact on how the draft falls to Miami.

Some say Geno Smith is not worthy of the number 1 spot but KC needs a QB. Their only other options at QB are to trade for one but they are certainly not giving up the number 1 overall for Alex Smith or anyone else.

FA options are Matt Moore and not much else other than backup material.

Potential Qb available via trades....

Alex Smith:
Michael Vick: Could be released b/c of salary
Matt Flynn:

I think they should sign Matt Moore and then draft EJ Manual in the 2nd round but that is just my opinion.

Brandon Albert is a FA but a very good LT. It is said to be a market (OT) flooded with talent this year so many of the tackles (other than Clady) may not get the payday they are wanting.

They could opt for Luke Joeckel with the first pick (for a lower price than a FA or to resign Albert) unless Andy Reid sees McNabb in Geno Smith.

They need help at many positions but none greater than QB.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1st pick in the draft...
Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: February 11, 2013 07:17AM

eesti Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Any ideas on who KC takes with the first overall
> pick in the 2013 draft? This could have a huge
> impact on how the draft falls to Miami.
>
> Some say Geno Smith is not worthy of the number 1
> spot but KC needs a QB. Their only other options
> at QB are to trade for one but they are certainly
> not giving up the number 1 overall for Alex Smith
> or anyone else.
>
> FA options are Matt Moore and not much else other
> than backup material.
>
> Potential Qb available via trades....
>
> Alex Smith:
> Michael Vick: Could be released b/c of salary
> Matt Flynn:
>
> I think they should sign Matt Moore and then draft
> EJ Manual in the 2nd round but that is just my
> opinion.
>
> Brandon Albert is a FA but a very good LT. It is
> said to be a market (OT) flooded with talent this
> year so many of the tackles (other than Clady) may
> not get the payday they are wanting.
>
> They could opt for Luke Joeckel with the first
> pick (for a lower price than a FA or to resign
> Albert) unless Andy Reid sees McNabb in Geno
> Smith.
>
> They need help at many positions but none greater
> than QB.

Interesting question.

They are sort of in the same shoes we were in back when Parcells came to town and we had the first pick in the 2007 draft.

Do you take the LT who is the safest bet, a DE like Chris Long or a QB who isn't the perfect prospect?

The big difference is the addition of the rookie wage scale that cuts the risk involved in taking a bust immeasurably.

If they had to pay this player $75 mill over 5 years it would be Joekel.

But since the risk is mitigated, I think Reid takes Geno Smith. he know the difference between an elite/quasi elite QB in his system versus a decent QB like Kolb, Feely, Foles, etc.

I honestly think he'd love to trade out of that spot if someone offered an RG3 type package for Smith. It would speed up his rebuilding process a ton, and he wouldn't have to risk being wrong in a year when its going to be very easy to be wrong at the top of the draft.

Date: February 11, 2013 07:35AM

I'm sure he would love to trade out as well but who is worth trading up for? I have heard it will be a tough year to trade the #1. Unless Buffalo, AZ, Jax, Jets, Cle or Oak want Smith. I guess it is not unforseeable.

I don't think anyone (rookie) is getting a 5/75 mil deal anymore.

Andrew Luck signed a 4 year/ 22 million dollar deal so spending the money on a QB is not that bad of a deal. It's the setback you have after 3 years if he is a flop. There is also more expectations for a QB than a LT.

.....................................................................................

Date: February 11, 2013 07:57AM

Michael Vick just restructured his deal in Philly. Rumor is the new coach wants him in 2013....it could also make Vick easier to trade.

How about a trade for Foles to go to KC?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2013 07:59AM by eesti.

Date: February 19, 2013 05:29AM

It is starting to look like KC will try to resign Dwayne Bowe and Brandon Albert. They have somehwere around 13 and 16 mil in cap space and will gain 22 mil more if (when) they release Tyson Jackson and Matt Cassell. Thats around 36 mil in cap space.

They just have to decide if they want to keep one of the best lines together or opt for a cheaper option at LT. They can pay 9 mil a year for Albert or draft Joeckle and pay him around 5 mil a year.

It would seem to me that if getting better is the goal then you resign those two players and add more talent to the roster with the 1st pick.

The defense was terrible last year and a big reason they are picking 1st. That, and not having a QB.

No one seems to think Smith or anyone other QB is worth a high pick so they may just opt to go for another position at #1 overall.

There is also rumblings that Reid wants to trade for Nick Foles (but it won't be a 1st round pick...maybe 3rd)

Team Needs: They drafted Dontari Poe last year so they are probably set at NT. Star Lotulelei would probably be a NT in their defense and is probably not a desirable pick.

They already have very good pass rushers (34 OLB's) on the outside.

QB: Obviously

3-4 DE; both ends were not good last year and Glen Dorsey is a FA. He was replaced after injury by Ropait Pitoitua lasy year but he is also a FA. They will need at least 3 once the disappointing Jackson is released.

WR: Even if they resign Bowe, they need a WR2.

CB: Javier Arenas did not adequately fill in for the departed Brandon Carr.

ILB: Derrick Johnson is still playing well but will be 32. Brandon Siler was a fill in who played ok but is a FA.

The BPA from these need positions could be CB or DT (34DE). KC could surprise everyone and draft one of these players...

Dee Milliner (best corner in draft). Could be in the running if he runs a good 40 in Indy.

Sharrif Floyd (3-4 DE or 4-3 DT): Fast riser who mayock ranks ahead of Star Lotulelei. Could be a disruptive player at 34 DE but a 34 DE at number 1 overall has probably never been done. Like I said, they need 3 and can't get all of them in FA. One starter in the draft and one in FA? 5 mil for Floyd may be a better investment than the 14 mil they are paying flop, Tyson Jackson.

Mayock also says none of the pass rushers this year are immediate impact players.

They could draft Floyd to team up with Dontari Poe and then bring in Richard Seymour who was a great 34 DE to solidify the front 7 instantly. They already have 3 very good LB'ers.

Draft a WR in the 2nd round and maybe trade for Foles with a 3rd....sign Matt Moore as a short term option.

Date: February 25, 2013 05:51AM

Sounds like Alex Smith is going to KC. Reports are out that a trade has been agreed on but cannot be announced until March 12.

I am taking a guess that it is to KC for a 3rd round pick.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2013 05:54AM by eesti.

Date: February 28, 2013 04:26AM

If you think about the best direction for the chiefs to take to instantly upgrade their team. They are making some nice moves.

Sure they could draft a LT to free up some money but that is not the most effective way for a quick turn around. They also will have around 30 mil in cap space this year so it is not a necessity. Cutting Tyson Jackson and Matt Cassell frees up a huge sum of cap space. I think they are better off by resigning Brandon Albert and keeping the chemistry of the line together.

This is why I think they resign Bowe and Albert. They already have Alex Smith in place and he will be a great fit for Reid's WCO. He is actually a better fit for the traditional offense in comparison to McNabb and Vick.

They really only need help at a few positions now that they have a QB and can resign their top FA's.

They already have good pass rushers. They could actually use two 3-4 DE's, an ILB, another WR, and a CB to replace Carr who left last year.

This is why they will draft Shariff Floyd to replace Tyson Jackson. The other option could be Dee Milliner.

Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: February 28, 2013 04:31AM

Well with the trade for Alex Smith, I have to say they will be looking at Luke with this pick.

Date: February 28, 2013 04:41AM

Not if they resign Albert.

Date: February 28, 2013 06:15AM

eesti Wrote:
> Not if they resign Albert.

If the re-sign Albert id expect him to trade down and try to replace the draft pick they are giving to SF

Date: February 28, 2013 06:30AM

That's an option but what player is worth trading to the number 1 overall spot? I don't see any. What team would do it? SD to get a top L maybe?

A trade like that usually involves QB's and multiple draft picks.

Date: February 28, 2013 01:06PM

eesti Wrote:
> That's an option but what player is worth trading
> to the number 1 overall spot? I don't see any.
> What team would do it? SD to get a top L maybe?
>
> A trade like that usually involves QB's and
> multiple draft picks.

If you want Luke Joeckel and you can move up 4-5-6-10 spots for a 3 this year and a 2 next year are you going to pass?

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: February 28, 2013 01:16PM

eesti Wrote:
> If you think about the best direction for the
> chiefs to take to instantly upgrade their team.
> They are making some nice moves.
>
> Sure they could draft a LT to free up some money
> but that is not the most effective way for a quick
> turn around. They also will have around 30 mil in
> cap space this year so it is not a necessity.
> Cutting Tyson Jackson and Matt Cassell frees up a
> huge sum of cap space. I think they are better off
> by resigning Brandon Albert and keeping the
> chemistry of the line together.
>
> This is why I think they resign Bowe and Albert.
> They already have Alex Smith in place and he will
> be a great fit for Reid's WCO. He is actually a
> better fit for the traditional offense in
> comparison to McNabb and Vick.
>
> They really only need help at a few positions now
> that they have a QB and can resign their top
> FA's.
>
> They already have good pass rushers. They could
> actually use two 3-4 DE's, an ILB, another WR, and
> a CB to replace Carr who left last year.
>
> This is why they will draft Shariff Floyd to
> replace Tyson Jackson. The other option could be
> Dee Milliner.

Chiefs could go any which way, including trading down.

Resigning Albert is probably high on their "to do list," but they also have a great option in the draft. How much is Albert looking for? If it is a ridiculous amount, then let him go and draft Joeckel or Fisher and grab another OL later in the draft. Two for the price of one, with change left over.

The Chief's main deal right now is to resign Bowe.

Date: March 01, 2013 03:41AM

THE Truth Wrote:
> eesti Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > That's an option but what player is worth
> trading
> > to the number 1 overall spot? I don't see any.
> > What team would do it? SD to get a top LT maybe?
> >
> > A trade like that usually involves QB's and
> > multiple draft picks.
>
>
> If you want Luke Joeckel and you can move up
> 4-5-6-10 spots for a 3 this year and a 2 next
> year are you going to pass?

No, not for that much but it depends on how devalued the perception of this year is....

It would cost a 5th overall pick to move up from 10 to 1. That's 1700 points with number 1 being worth 3000 and 10 being worth 1300. There is no guarantee on the pick for the following year. It could be a #5 or a #25.

I think a team like STL could make a good case for moving up since they have two picks (16 & 22) but even those picks are only worthg 1780 points. Still 1220 shy. They would have to offer up a 1st rounder in 2014 as well.

That's pretty steep for Luke Joeckle. It may happen for Andrew Luck but not a LT.

Date: March 01, 2013 03:55AM

eesti Wrote:
> THE Truth Wrote:
> -----
> > eesti Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > That's an option but what player is worth
> > trading
> > > to the number 1 overall spot? I don't see
> any.
> > > What team would do it? SD to get a top LT
> maybe?
> > >
> > > A trade like that usually involves QB's and
> > > multiple draft picks.
> >
> >
> > If you want Luke Joeckel and you can move up
> > 4-5-6-10 spots for a 3 this year and a 2 next
> > year are you going to pass?
>
> No, not for that much but it depends on how
> devalued the perception of this year is....
>
> It would cost a 5th overall pick to move up from
> 10 to 1. That's 1700 points with number 1 being
> worth 3000 and 10 being worth 1300. There is no
> guarantee on the pick for the following year. It
> could be a #5 or a #25.
>
> I think a team like STL could make a good case for
> moving up since they have two picks (16 & 22) but
> even those picks are only worthg 1780 points.
> Still 1220 shy. They would have to offer up a 1st
> rounder in 2014 as well.
>
> That's pretty steep for Luke Joeckle. It may
> happen for Andrew Luck but not a LT.

I already devalued it for you. I'm KC. I just traded for my QB and resigned Branden Albert. The first pick doesn't bring me a guy that is can't miss stud, impact player. So my priority is to get back some of what I gave up for my QB (Smith).

You are the Cardinals and you want Joeckel or Fisher.

I offer you #1 for #7, your 3rd this year and your 2nd next year.

You really going to pass that up?

Date: March 01, 2013 06:20AM

If I am the Bruce Arians, there is not way in hell I am even considering giving up that much for either player when chances are pretty good I can get one or the other at 7. My team has many needs and I am not giving up draft picks when I severely need them.

Same could be said for every team in the top 15.

We could't even get a team to trade up for Matt Ryan or Jake Long.

If I am Andy Reid, I am not real worried about getting something back for my QB when I think I just got a Pro Bowl type QB for the same price given up for Brandon Marshall a few years ago. I am not too worried about that second round pick because I have another 2nd round pick at #38 I can use to get a CB.

If I am KC, I know that I have 6 players that just made the Pro Bowl and I have 2 or 3 more who could make it this year. I know that the team sucked because they had no QB and we payed 14 mil a year to an underachieving 3-4 DE that was eaten alive. I know there is a damn good replacement sitting at the top of the draft that I can for sure get at number 1 but he will be gone with the next pick or two.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2013 06:22AM by eesti.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 01, 2013 06:59AM

you are forgetting the year we had #1 overall the cap number for that pick was debilitating. Now with the rookie scale these picks are bargains, making trades much more likely now that back then. Look at least year, almost every pick in the top 10 get traded. Of course, last year was a great draft with players teams coveted, this year, not so much

Date: March 01, 2013 07:18AM

and exactly why I am inclined to use that number 1 pick when I have a great need for a 3-4 DE and a CB because I can get an instant starter. If I trade to 10 then I have lost out on either the only CB that's worthy and the best DT in the draft.

If I have to sign a FA DT it is going to cost me upwards of 8 mil a year and probably 10 for a CB.

I am using the pick unless I get an offer I can't refuse....like when the Redskins gave the Rams the sixth pick and a second-round choice in 2012 plus first-round selections in 2013 and 2014.

I don't think it is worth it for a 3rd round pick and a 2nd next year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2013 07:21AM by eesti.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 01, 2013 07:21AM

what player do you think is worth trading up to #1 for?

Date: March 01, 2013 07:23AM

None because there are no franchise QB's.

Date: March 04, 2013 04:43PM

As I predicted/suggested ,the Chiefs signed Bowe to a contract and franchised Branden Albert.

Looks like no more OT for first pick. It's gotta be Dee Milliner or Sharrif Floyd.

Date: March 05, 2013 05:50PM

KC just restructured Tyson Jackson's contract but I still believe two rooks are in play for the number 1 spot.

Dee Milliner: Would make more sence as they could sign a FA DT. Plenty on the market (including their own). Less options for a franchise CB.

Shariff Floyd: KC still has a hole at 3-4 DE since the other starter is a UFA (Ropati Pitoitua).

Eric Winston, the starting RT has a cap hit of 7m this year. If they cut him they still carry a 6.3m dead cap hit. Paying three tackles big money is probably not in the cards for the Chiefs. More evidence they won't take Joeckel.

Unless they can trade Winston (not likely in a flooded market) they are on the hook. He is signed thru 2015 for about 6m a year after an extension last year (2012).

They now have 17 million in cap hits for two OT's in 2013.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2013 05:35AM by eesti.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: March 06, 2013 08:12AM

my , how matt barkleys stock has fallen. From been mentioned as the number one pick overall to what? Late first rounder or mid second rounder?

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: March 06, 2013 08:17AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> my , how matt barkleys stock has fallen. From
> been mentioned as the number one pick overall to
> what? Late first rounder or mid second rounder?

Just shows the risk involved in not coming out of college when you are hot and doing that "I'm gonna come back for a National Championship thing."

It's failing to recognize that there are rules and there are exceptions to the rule.

I can't remember the name of the running back but there was one about three or four years ago who would have been the first pick in the draft but he got injured in a post season game and was never drafted.

Date: March 06, 2013 08:18AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> my , how matt barkleys stock has fallen. From
> been mentioned as the number one pick overall to
> what? Late first rounder or mid second rounder?

His stock will begin to rise once again after his pro-day sam.

He's been hurt since December and missed the Senior Bowl and Combine.

If he proves he's healthy and his arm strength is adequate he could be the 1st QB off the board.

Same thing happened to Tannehill last year. He hurt his ankle and missed the Senior Bowl and combine which caused many to tag him as a 2nd round pick.

It wasn't until after his pro-day that he moved up most draft boards.

Date: March 06, 2013 08:18AM

I am hearing he won't get past the Bills at pick 8.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: March 06, 2013 08:40AM

i dont watch college much. I didnt know he was hurt....But i did see a couple of games and he struggled bigtime.

Date: March 06, 2013 09:14AM

Greg Cosell thinks Barkely is a 4th round pick based on ability.

Posted by: Columbia-Phin ()
Date: March 11, 2013 05:31AM

If I am the Chiefs, now is the time to get SMART for once, Trade the pick....to anyone picking in the top 12 for a 2nd, this year, 2nd and 1st for next year, then next year you have 2 1st rd and 3 seconds, and you can easily trade up for Jadeveon Clowney, thats the prize!

Date: March 11, 2013 05:32AM

Columbia-Phin Wrote:
> If I am the Chiefs, now is the time to get SMART
> for once, Trade the pick....to anyone picking in
> the top 12 for a 2nd, this year, 2nd and 1st for
> next year, then next year you have 2 1st rd and 3
> seconds, and you can easily trade up for Jadeveon
> Clowney, thats the prize!

What player in this draft is worth a 1 and 2 this year and a 1 and 2 next year?

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.