HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          You're the GM
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
You're the GM
Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: March 03, 2013 08:10AM

Poll
Who is your pick?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
9 votes were received.
Cordarrele Patterson 3

33%
Keenan Allen 0

0%
Xavier Rhodes 0

0%
Bjoern Werner 2

22%
Tyler Eifert 2

22%
Trade down and pickup another pick(name pick) 2

22%

OK, if as predicted Jordan, Ansah, Milliner and the top OL are gone, what would you do?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: You're the GM
Date: March 03, 2013 08:22AM

I would have to be sold Patterson or Allen(injury?) are worth this pick or I would consider trading down and consider a Tank Carradine, Xavier Rhodes, Eifert, Trufant, Cyprien,Werner (unless sold on him at 12) maybe even Tavon Austin,

I have seen some mocks having Milliner & Warmack available, I am not sure that will happen

Many have Werner falling. Is he the next JJ watt?Had a quicker combine 40 time than watt. Mayock still has him #1 DE in 4-3 defense

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: March 03, 2013 09:29AM

jlyell13 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would have to be sold Patterson or
> Allen(injury?) are worth this pick or I would
> consider trading down and consider a Tank
> Carradine, Xavier Rhodes, Eifert, Trufant,
> Cyprien,Werner (unless sold on him at 12) maybe
> even Tavon Austin,

From that list, I'd take Werner or trade down.

>
> I have seen some mocks having Milliner & Warmack
> available, I am not sure that will happen

Recently?

Any mock pre-combine is meaningless. Well, any mock is meaningless, but anything pre-combine is even more so.

>
> Many have Werner falling. Is he the next JJ
> watt?Had a quicker combine 40 time than watt.
> Mayock still has him #1 DE in 4-3 defense

haha. I made the same comparison to a smaller JJ watt type 3 months ago. I still don't think Werner is quite as good as Watt as a prospect but he's a heck of a football player.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: March 03, 2013 09:33AM

I'd pick Patterson or Allen so I didn't vote but my answer to you, Jlyell, is to ask why should you pass up (and I'm assuming you are making this assumption because if you aren't, then you should simply say that you don't think they are that good) that player you think is good simply because some blowhards who earn a living prognosticating say that they aren't "worthy" of such a high pick.

Years and years drafting experience has proven that when you think a guy is only worth a second round pick and you trade down, that guy is gone BEFORE you get to choose him again. The guy then goes on to become a monster for another team.

You draft the BEST receiver WHEN YOU GET THE FIRST CHANCE if that is the highest priority you have. You don't listen to knuckleheads who tell you, "Oh, he's okay. He may even be the best in this year's guys at that position. But he's not worth a number so and so."

One final proof. A lot of knuckleheads, me included, felt that Ryan Tannehill was not worth a number 8 pick and even moreso, that Russell Wilson was not worth the first round but ask Cleveland how'd that work out for them when they picked Brandon Weeden in the first round instead of Russell Wilson.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 03, 2013 09:36AM

no one thought russell wilson was worth a first round pick last year so that's not fair. it's like saying tom brady should have gone in the first round. sure, in hindsight, but he was picked in the 6th and no one was thinking he fell in the draft at the time

Date: March 03, 2013 09:48AM

No berk, my point was not foresight but exactly what you are saying, hindsight.

But it certainly tells about how much we should rely on the so-called draft gurus as to not only a) how good a person is

but more importantly

b) whether he is "worth" such a such a pick.

And this is PARTICULARLY TRUE when the buttheads concede that Allen and Patterson are the best WRs in the draft "but we just don't think either is worth a first round or at least a top half of the first round ...pick."

Everyone is saying pass on Patterson and Allen....not because they are bad players but because they are not "worth" the number 12 pick.

Russell Wilson was brought up to show how "accurate" these draft gurus (and the GMs who listen to them, Cleveland in particular) were in assessing "just where this kid should go in the draft."

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 03, 2013 10:15AM

re patterson, you're taking him more for what you *hope* he will be rather than what he has actually done in college as a WR since he played just 1 year. that is very risky at 12 overall. kinda like RT but since he is a QB you gotta take that risk. I am wary of patterson but he has the highest upside of any wr in the draft

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: March 03, 2013 11:11AM

I would not be disappointed with a WR @ 12. I just want an impact player for once.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: March 03, 2013 01:47PM

ChyrenB said "I'd pick Patterson or Allen so I didn't vote but my answer to you, Jlyell, is to ask why should you pass up (and I'm assuming you are making this assumption because if you aren't, then you should simply say that you don't think they are that good) that player you think is good simply because some blowhards who earn a living prognosticating say that they aren't "worthy" of such a high pick."

My thinking is if you can drop down get a Eifert and pick up a second or third and still get a comparable WR like Hunter, Woods, Hopkins, Patton or T Williams, that makes sense. May not for us based on our draft success!

Patterson or Allen are not guaranteed stars and the WR class is deep. Blackmon didn't look to good last year. Patterson has one year of major college experience and had some issues , and Philban seems to be the type to avoid such unless it is in lower rounds

Date: March 03, 2013 03:22PM

Date: March 03, 2013 03:45PM

"That "you can drop down and still get comparable" is said every year, every draft about players and it never actually turns out to be true."

Maybe for us, but we could have picked Gronkowski Hernandez, Wilson and a bunch of other post round 1 pro bowlers, and every year top 15 picks end up being busts

Nothing is guaranteed. The more picks you have in early rounds the better chance you have at getting value. Also we are not one player away like some might be that are interested in moving up

Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: March 03, 2013 05:20PM

I'd trade down, provided I can get a low 2nd or high 3rd with the trade down of a first rounder. NFL drafting is kind of like a dart throwing contest, more chances you get..better chance of hitting the target.

Date: March 04, 2013 05:09AM

and one could also argue that the higher you pick, the higher the chances you have of hitting on a difference maker.

It's all going to depend on what happens in the next 8 days.

If we franchise Starks or sign him, we won't have a huge need for a DT high in the draft....this year anyway. I don't really understand why they only signed Solia for two years as he is a FA in 2014. If we franchise Starks then we have two FA starting DT's on the market next year.

The best move would be to either resign him or sign a long term replacement.

Trying to read Irelands mind....we don't have a high need for a pass rusher either IMO.

If we go into the draft without a big need at DE or DT then OT becomes a big need and is a big expense in FA. There is a very good chance the top 3 OT's are gone by the time we pick. That would not be a good situation.

Too many scenarios to unfold at this time.

.....................................................................................

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: March 04, 2013 05:27AM

I pick Patterson. He has playmaker written all over him and this team needs playmakers. Yes he played 1 year in SEC, but he improved as the season went along.

Everything I have read on the kid states that he is a good kid and willing to work and has little issue learning playbooks as he learned 2 in 3 years.

My question is do we we have a QB that can get him the ball? I have my doubts as Tannehill could not get the ball to slower open receiver deep.

I read somewhere that like 50% of the catches Allen had were screen type passes. He only average like 6 yards a catch. Dolphins don't need that

Date: March 04, 2013 05:54AM

Date: March 04, 2013 07:06AM

Date: March 04, 2013 07:43AM

I have seen mock recently that have Eifert going as early as 13 to the Bucs and also to the Bears at 20.

I really want an offensive skill position in the first round so I would not want to lose out on him.

We could move down between 16 and 20 and possibly still have a shot at Eifert. If not him then maybe Ertz or one of the other WR's.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: March 04, 2013 08:55AM

dolphin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I pick Patterson. He has playmaker written all
> over him and this team needs playmakers. Yes he
> played 1 year in SEC, but he improved as the
> season went along.
>
> Everything I have read on the kid states that he
> is a good kid and willing to work and has little
> issue learning playbooks as he learned 2 in 3
> years.
>
> My question is do we we have a QB that can get him
> the ball? I have my doubts as Tannehill could not
> get the ball to slower open receiver deep.
>
> I read somewhere that like 50% of the catches
> Allen had were screen type passes. He only average
> like 6 yards a catch. Dolphins don't need that

Here is something to ponder:

Miami is unable to sign one of the "hot" WRs in FA. Patterson somehow is still there when Miami's pick comes up. Does Ireland toss the dice and draft him?

Wallace (supposedly) is not that great of a route runner, which is one of the knocks on Patterson. OK, Wallace will work on his route running, but his main mission in Miami is to take the top off of defenses and open up the middle of the field for the other receivers. The same can be said for Patterson - coaches can help him with his route running, but with his (surprisingly) fast speed in the combine, his mission will be to take the top off of defenses. What does Ireland do?

Evidently you still, even after some of the things he did last year, have no confidence in Tanneyhill. I will answer your question, tho....Yes, we do have a QB that can get the ball downfield.

As far as Allen....all anyone has to go on, at this point, is his game tapes. No workouts to show anybody anything.

Date: March 04, 2013 09:59AM

If we don't get a top FA we have to take 2 in rounds 1-3 unless we can trade for a Cruz

If we do, will we still take Patterson if there?

I mocked the first 3 rounds and had Ansah avail at 12, then we choose from Hopkins, Woods, Williams, or Patton in the second

And with the remaining 2nd & 3rd picks we can go some mix of WR, TE, OL, DB end up also with Phillip Thomas Or Logan Ryan, Escobar or Jordan Reed, and Armstead or David Quessenbery

WR will go off the board quick so if we want the top ones we need to take 2 in our first 4-5 picks

Christian Michael in 4th

What about Fred Davis at TE? He was a beast at SC. Dustin Keller?

Date: March 04, 2013 10:06AM

Date: March 06, 2013 09:06AM

Ireland always seems to draft players and get them a year or two of experience under their belt prior to other players at the position becoming free agents. Especially if the vet players have been average.

Egnew and Clay at TE, Thomas and Miller at RB, etc.

Our FA in 2014 will be...

WR Davone Bess
K Dan Carpenter
CB Nolan Carroll
LS John Denney
OG Richie Incognito
OG John Jerry
S Reshad Jones
LB Koa Misi
DT Paul Soliai

Rashad Jones is a no brainer to extend.

Paul Soliai is a "iffy" because he will be 30. I can see him resigning on a shirt term deal next year. He resigned this time because he didn't want to move his family. It will depend on how well he plays this year and if we can find someone to take over for him as a NT. Maybe bring in someone like Vance Walker as a lower FA.

Koa Misi seemed to be all over the place before he got injured. He is a pretty good SOLB in a 4-3 IMO. He was also an occasional pass rusher (3.5 sacks, 2 FF, 99 tackles). He should be resigned to a market value contract unless he has a monster year which isn't far fetched. He is nothing if not versatile. 3-4 OLB, 43 DE, 43 OLB.

Davone Bess: I think Ireland will try and upgrade here in the draft with someone more explosive.

I'd say there is a pretty good chance we take a mid round shot at DT, WR and LB'er.

Incog, Jerry and Bess are prime candidates for trading at some point in the last year of their contracts. John Jerry and his brother are underacheivers and just seem to lack motivation.

John Denney will be 35 years old by seasons end. It may be time to start looking for another long snapper as he also plays on other ST units.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.