HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          $11M
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
$11M
Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: March 04, 2013 08:47AM

Just saw where Jake Long is looking for a $11M payday.

With the amount of good to great OL in the draft, plus the other good OL being cut, Jake, IMO, doesn't have a leg to stand on with that demand.

Hopefully, once FA hits this evening, he and his agent will figure it out and get smart and return to Miami and sign a contract befitting a good LT who has been injured and has not finished the last two seasons in a row.

I would then welcome Jake back as he is a valuable commodity for the Miami Dolphins. Give them some continuity on the OL that they haven't had in years.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: $11M
Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: March 04, 2013 09:37AM

Sign Levitre for less and draft OL help somewhere 2-4

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: March 04, 2013 09:48AM

Too bad Parcels isn't still working. He loved to hire injury prone players for top dollar.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: March 04, 2013 10:03AM

Will beatty is another top FA, did the giants franchise him?

Date: March 04, 2013 10:07AM

They already signed him to a 5 year deal last week.

.....................................................................................

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2013 10:08AM by eesti.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: March 04, 2013 02:41PM

The question is, what do other teams think Jake Long is worth? Is there a team that will be willing to pay Long 11 M a year on a multi year deal.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 04, 2013 02:49PM

no there is not

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: March 04, 2013 02:51PM

I don't think so either, so what is his real market value going to be..

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: March 04, 2013 03:28PM

something like what the giants just paid to resign beatty

Date: March 04, 2013 03:43PM

and that would make him overpaid. He is not as good as Beatty anymore.

Date: March 04, 2013 03:45PM

and yet he wants 5 mm more per season. long is really coming off like an ungrateful, delusional jerk in all this. see ya

Date: March 04, 2013 03:54PM

I agree. If he is so sure he will return to form, he should sign an incentive laden contract. Brady is turning down money and he is overvaluing himself. Greedy. he already banked 60 mil.

I just read where most teams view him as a right tackle. Time for a wake up call. I hope he goes to a loser.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: March 05, 2013 12:39AM

It's not that I don't like Long, but he definitely comes off as delusional in all this. Beatty got about $7.75 million per year. Brandon Albert got the tag for $9 million and change...same for Clady There are a couple of top-10 picks who have to play for about $3-4 million/year.

Add to this that there are not a lot of teams with cap space (Cleveland is one, but they have Joe Thomas), and those with decent cap space are - like us - looking for playmakers.

Finally and most importantly, there was a stretch of games last year during which Long was being absolutely brutalized. One of those games featured the carnage at the hands of Freeney who wasn't snatched up directly upon his release.

Date: March 05, 2013 04:27AM

and he is going to find himself freezing his arse off playing right tackle in Detroit or Cincy or some other crappy place for 6 mil a year on short term deal because he is being unrealistic.

Date: March 05, 2013 04:47AM

honestly, I don't even want him back unless he returns at below market. I can live with signing a FA RT (there are a bunch of decent ones), flipping Martin to the left side and drafting an OT in a deep draft in the 2d or 3d. Taking the money we save on Long and applying ti to playmaker

Date: March 05, 2013 05:59AM

I would much rather pay right tackles, Cherilus or Vollmer 8 mil than to pay Jake 7 mil. They are still playing well. Long is not. Rumor is market teams think Jake is a RT, not a left tackle. I would not be surprised if Ireland told Jake they only want him back at RT.

Asking Martin to build strength is one thing but he will need more strength on the right side than the left, where he can get buy on technique and quickness. Besides it is his natural position.

There are 14 tackles left in FA that had a positive grade. Half of which were RT's. 22 played better than Long.

IF we had to, we could get by with a lower FA prospect like BArry Richardson and draft Lane Jonshon if SD doesn't take him or we could try for Brennan Williams in the 3rd round.

Richardson is durable (hasn't missed a start in 3 years after getting starting job) and played for KC (4 years) and STL for one year. Both good rushing teams. He is also a RT and 26 years old. He played for 1 year and 1 mil last year.

He had a bad year in 2011 (his contract year) and now is back on the road to redemption. They also ran the zone scheme in STL.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: March 05, 2013 01:34PM

Date: March 05, 2013 02:31PM

I can give the phins a good deal on a FA RT

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: March 06, 2013 08:47AM

Counting longs play last year he will be considered a FA RT soon. If he isnt already.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: March 06, 2013 08:52AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Counting longs play last year he will be
> considered a FA RT soon. If he isnt already.

I wouldn't call him a fart, though. He ain't THAT old spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: March 06, 2013 09:19AM

I dont mean FA RT as in his age i mean FA RT as in the way he played last year.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.