HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Punt Return
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Punt Return
Posted by: GBOFinFan ()
Date: October 01, 2012 11:17AM

Anyone know why Bess and Thigpen alternate punt returns?

I love Davone Bess. He gets in and out of his breaks probably better than anyone in the NFL...

but he has to be one of the slowest receivers in the league. He looks like he's running in sand while everyone else is running on turf. He has great hands, I get it, but if you don't trust Thigpen then why put him back there at all?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Punt Return
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: October 01, 2012 11:21AM

I agree about him looking like he is running on sand i had that feeling yesterday a couple of times.

Looks like he doesnt gain any ground.

Date: October 01, 2012 11:45AM

He's not, and never has been, a YAC receiver which is why you would want him back there.

Plus he's one of the most effective weapons on offense. Very few starting receivers in this league pull double duty as return men and I just don't see the benefit.

It just seems irresponsible to be taking a chance on injury. High risk, little or no reward.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: October 01, 2012 11:51AM

From what I have noticed they seem to trust Bess more. When it is a deep punt they put in Thigpen. When it is a short field punt they put in Bess, because the risk of mistake is much higher.. I also think that when we have had the lead and dont want to make a mistake on ST they put in Bess... So it seems to be an experience in critical situations the coaches put in Bess IMO..

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: October 01, 2012 12:37PM

Yep! One thing Bess will NOT do on a punt is put the ball on the ground.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: October 01, 2012 03:15PM

Yep! Thigpen's got more "soul" to his running but is a much bigger fumble risk.

It's like these coaches NEVER work on the deficits each player has because they all keep making the same mistakes. You'd think they would have those players practicing on those mistakes and deficits.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: October 01, 2012 06:36PM

they have bess back there when the punt is gonna be inside the 25 bc he's more sure handed

Date: October 02, 2012 09:45AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> they have bess back there when the punt is gonna
> be inside the 25 bc he's more sure handed

You know, some say (me included, at times) Philbin is too aggressive on offense particularly with a rookie QB under center. Yet he wants to go all conservative when he has a free shot at a big play. Go figure.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: October 02, 2012 10:45AM

Thank God he is. The last thing that one should gamble with is kickoffs....even more than punts. A kickoff is a live ball all the way unlike a punt.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.