HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          The 4-3 Defense
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
The 4-3 Defense
Posted by: DolfanKing ()
Date: July 31, 2012 10:23AM

I'm glad we are going back to the 4-3. I think the 4-3 is more exciting and produces more big plays. It should be fun to watch.

The Dolphins had arguably the best defense in its history - better than the No-Name - when it played the 4-3 back in the early '00s.

The big keys to that defense were:

1. Massive MLB play by Zach Thomas.
I'm going to look at Dansby's lateral speed in the pre-season. Can he go sideline to sideline like Zach?

2. Great DE pressure by JT
Wake has everything needed to be JT.

3. Lock Down Corners and good Safety play.
I'm still worried about our DBs. Vonte is a lock down CB, but I'm always concerned about putting Sean Smith one on one with anybody. He can cover, but he can't close the deal. I'm concerned that we have no no NFL quality Safeties. Maybe Jones will break through, but Culver and Clemons have been awful.

Finally, I recall the big hole in that Defense was coverage in the flats. The OLB in that scheme was a revolving door, and the some could cover and some could not. When the OLBs could cover, we'd be OK, otherwise we'd get burnt by TE and RB passes all day. Bad pass covering OLBs killed us, so it will be interesting to see how Misi and the other OLBs will look in coverage this preseason.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The 4-3 Defense
Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: July 31, 2012 11:55AM

Incognito, said it best the other day. When you play the 4-3, you need 4 studs on the defensive line in order to play it effectively. And we have the studs on the defensive line to play it now..

Also defensive cordinator Kevin Coyle said in another interview the other day, that we only lined up in a true 3-4 less then 15 percent of the defensive snaps last year. And he doesnt think it will be that much different then how our defense played a majority of the snaps last year..

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: July 31, 2012 12:11PM

Wake has everything needed to be JT? Well everything but a Defensive MVP, 120 more sacks, 5 more Pro Bowls, some big play ability and about 9 more TD's.

I think Dansby has the speed to side to side but I doubt he is as dedicated as Zach or as smart. He is running out of time to live up to that contract.

You are right about the DB's.

I think the 4-3 fits our personnel better than the 3-4 does.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: July 31, 2012 12:48PM

DOlfanking-
Along with the deep flats we got beat up the seams alot. Our LB's couldnt cover the TE's up the seam... We were able to stop them, in a nickel when Sean SMith covered them... Sean Smith's best ability is covering those good TE's, not our LB's doing it... Cam Wake doesnt need to be dropping back in coverage IMO... I think this is where the 4-3 will help us... But i still think we isolate Sean Smith on the pass catching TE. like Keller, Gronkowski, and Hernandez.

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: July 31, 2012 04:42PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> DOlfanking-
> Along with the deep flats we got beat up the
> seams alot. Our LB's couldnt cover the TE's up the
> seam... We were able to stop them, in a nickel
> when Sean SMith covered them... Sean Smith's best
> ability is covering those good TE's, not our LB's
> doing it... Cam Wake doesnt need to be dropping
> back in coverage IMO... I think this is where the
> 4-3 will help us... But i still think we isolate
> Sean Smith on the pass catching TE. like Keller,
> Gronkowski, and Hernandez.

I was talking more about the defensive problems we had in the early 00's with the 4-3, not the last two years with the 3-4. Back then, some of our OLBs then had big trouble with short passes. I would think that if we had a CB covering a TE, we'd be in a nickel D. In a 4-3 that would put us down to two LBs anyway.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: August 03, 2012 10:34AM

Comparing D-Lines....The Nationally hyped Buffalo Bills vs the bottom dwelling Dolphins who no one respects.

Mario Williams, Arguably the Bills best DLman. By rights he should be compared to Cameron Wake. Our best Lineman...(so far) but I believe Odrick is a rising star and he will play the same position and is about the same size as MW....who are both big like DT's.

Mario Williams: Missed 9 games last year due to a torn pec. Missed 3 games the year before. So in the last two years he has 14 sacks in 18 games. pretty impressive numbers. 31 tackles, 2 FF and 3 PD's.

Jared Odrick: Played in all 16 games last year after missing 15 games in 2010...All in a rotation with limited snaps. Had 6 sacks playing 3-4 DE. pretty respectable numbers for that position. Also had 1 int, 1 FF and 2 PD's.

Williams has been around longer and has earned his stripes so to speak. I believe he is slightly over-rated based mainly bc everyone thinks he alone is going to turn around the Bills.

I see Odrick with just as much talent and same size. He is gettting his first shot to prove himself worthy of a 1st rounder but I believe he will shine.

Slight edge goes to Williams because he is more proven.

On the other side we have Mark Anderson vs Cameron Wake. Do I really need to go there? just for the sake of argument...

Wake: 22.5 sacks over the last 2 years. He was down on sacks from 2010 but became a better overall player. Especially vs the run. Had 42 tackles vs 29 for Anderson last year.

Anderson: Had one good year as a rookie on a very good Bears defense. Followed up by doing nothing for 5 years and then had a decent year rushing the passer for NE in 2011.

Big edge goes to Wake who gained 10 lbs and goes back to his normal position of 43 DE.

DT's....

Kyle Williams vs Paul Soliai

Williams coming off injury (foot surgery) after missing 11 games. A good run stuffer who collects tackles. Pro Bowl alternate in 09 and 10.

Paul Solia has become one of the best NT/DT's in the league. He occupies multiple blockers on every play and has some upfield ability even thought he didn't get much opportunity as a 3-4 NT.

Edge goes to Solia late bloomer but a mountain of a man at 6'4 345 compared to KW who is 6'1 303.

Randy Starks vs Marcel Dareus

Dareus had a monster rookie year with 5.5 sacks and 43 tackles. he's 6'3 331 lbs. Showed great potential and probably a future Pro Bowler.

Starks has been to the Pro Bowl as a 43 DT. A position he returns to this year. Has been a good player. Few weaknesses. 4.5 sacks and 34 tackles last year as a 3-4 DE.

Slight Edge goes to Dareus but Starks may have abig year after moving back to the 43.

If you've made it this far...(sorry for the novel). My point or question is why does every think the Bills are going to be so good and just completely overlook the Dolphins? The Dolphins line is more established playing together. The Bills have two new starters out of 4. Both teams are switching back to a 4-3.

We were ranked 15th overall last year opposed to the Bills who ranked 26th! They sure are counting on one guy doing alot for a team. Anderson is just average.

We also ranked 3rd vs the run while the Bills ranked 28th! One guy (MW) is going to vault them into the top 5 rushing D all by himself? I don't think so.

The Bills have 3 out of 4 guys you may want to double team on the line. We have 4 out of 4. We also have better LB'ers.

The last comparison I'll make will be Olivier Vernon vs Shawn Merrimen who is MAYBE coming back FINALLY.

Who knows what happens there but they will both play a similar role as a DR..designated rusher....maybe.

On offense...

I will also take Garrard over Kirk any day of the week if only for reasons of consistency.

Yet EVERYONE would have you believe that a team run by two castoff coaches from Miami (Gailey/Wanny) is going to be the surprise rebound team this year.

Thoughts?

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: August 03, 2012 11:19AM

I think DK is right about the 4-3 being better and also about the risks we have at safety play.

The part I feel a bit more positive about is that we are taking this new defense as a whole new focus for the team this year and thus attention should bring about focus and improvement as a team.

I think the Bills added some quality people and have been for several years as a result of being cellar dwellers for so long. They are young as a team and have accumulated some talent in the last 4 years.

I have to agree however that their coaches are sub par and thus think the FINS will NOT be sliding below them in the wins column this year.

The Bills sunk a ton of cash into Mario, and we'll see if he stays healthy enough to make it worth their $$$.

I pick the Bills to end up in the cellar this year: Why? They started out like gang busters last year ... but finished like sissies

Date: August 03, 2012 11:33AM

Phinjim Wrote:
> I think DK is right about the 4-3 being better and
> also about the risks we have at safety play.
>

Wow. Are you actually acknowledging I wrote something without the intent of bashing Ireland? ... or is it that this time you agree with me?

I'm tempted to point out who would be responsible for lack of quality safety personelle - just to yank your chain.

Date: August 03, 2012 11:52AM

Well I'm at least complimenting your position about the 4-3 decision. by association Ireleand did hire Philbin and the DC so there is some tie.

I give more credit to the 4-3 as a coaching choice, but then back to ireland for chasing the right people to support it.

Thumbs up .. we agree.

I liked your comments on their own merit, and as stated time and again its cool if we agree or don't.smileys with beer

Date: August 03, 2012 11:57AM

Phinjim Wrote:
> Well I'm at least complimenting your position
> about the 4-3 decision. by association Ireleand
> did hire Philbin and the DC so there is some tie.
>
> I give more credit to the 4-3 as a coaching
> choice, but then back to ireland for chasing the
> right people to support it.
>
> Thumbs up .. we agree.
>
> I liked your comments on their own merit, and as
> stated time and again its cool if we agree or
> don't.smileys with beer

FWIW, I think Ireland has done a poor job on evaluating DBs. And not resigning Bell will come to haunt us.

But I like the switch back. I've never been a big fan of the 3-4. And I agree that coaching makes the difference on this.

Date: August 03, 2012 12:16PM

I too wish we had kept Bell. At least long enough to have proven w3hat we have or brought in was any better.

Some on this sight will say we would have done him wrong if we kept him and dropped him later.

I'd say the best guy wins the job.

As to Ireland doing a poor job on evaluating DB talent ... I'd say that criticism may be a bit broad. We agree that the job is not done there ... that's a gap. We got Marshall as a new DB, and IMHO haven't addressed it with a quality pick yet.

If you recall ... we had zip for corners or safeties, and we've at least improved on the corners and nickle.

We've also had a revolving door at saftey so the question is who could we have gotten that would have been better, and did we run out of draft picks on other needs before we fixed the safety problems?

Date: August 03, 2012 01:19PM

Phinjim Wrote:
>
> If you recall ... we had zip for corners or
> safeties, and we've at least improved on the
> corners and nickle.
>

Going into this season we had Bell and Reshad Jones.

Jones was an Ireland pick that has been disappointing. Bell was a defensive leader and recent pro bowler that was not resigned.

If we have zip then that was Ireland's doing.

Posted by: dougb123 ()
Date: August 04, 2012 04:38AM

Bell's weakness was going against the pass, its a passing league now. Reshad Jones is the best safety we got, and still would be if Bell was here. Jones is developing into a very good all around safety and considering were Ireland picked him up in the 5th round deserves a kudos. Could end up as one of the better safties in the NFL, will have a big year this year.

4-3 defense vs 3-4 It will be hard to say, overall after a slow start last year because players showed up out of condition they jelled and became a solid unit one of the top units in the NFL, did have problems with the secondary and there zone coverage but were one of the better run stuffing defenses. Peter King seems to think the 3-4 was better for Wake and now will get caught in some wash in the 4-3 and not be as effective. All you do keep hearing out of camp is how much pressure the defense is putting on the QB's from the ends and the tackles. Thats the defense number 1 priority is to put pressure on the QB. Why it will be hard to say 3-4 or 4-3 is that you would expect this unit to get even better than last year even if they were running 3-4.

Date: August 04, 2012 11:40AM

dougb123 Wrote:
> Bell's weakness was going against the pass, its a
> passing league now. Reshad Jones is the best
> safety we got, and still would be if Bell was
> here. Jones is developing into a very good all
> around safety and considering were Ireland picked
> him up in the 5th round deserves a kudos.

What are you talking about? Jones stunk last year.

> Could end up as one of the better safties in the NFL,
> will have a big year this year.
>

That is huge speculation. Based on last years performance, I don't see it.

Date: August 04, 2012 12:29PM

I dont think Jones stunk last year, he had a problem early with cheating the run trying to lend run support, like YB did so well... Problems was Jones got exploited on those cheats a few times. And the vets on defense got on him to cover his own spot and dont worry about covering on the run ofr somebody else.... Reshad is a good ball hawk and tackler, hopefully his play reads got better...

Nietzsche

Date: August 04, 2012 12:31PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> I dont think Jones stunk last year, he had a
> problem early with cheating the run trying to lend
> run support, like YB did so well... Problems was
> Jones got exploited on those cheats a few times.
> And the vets on defense got on him to cover his
> own spot and dont worry about covering on the run
> ofr somebody else.... Reshad is a good ball hawk
> and tackler, hopefully his play reads got
> better...

Right now, Jones is a young CB that has yet to prove himself. This is his make or break year. Will he be a starter, or will he be a perennial dime back?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.