HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Week 1 Starting Lineup
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Week 1 Starting Lineup
Posted by: eesti ()
Date: May 25, 2012 08:55AM

QB David Gerrard
RB Reggie Bush
FB Charles Clay
WR Brian Hartline
WR Legedu Naanee
TE Michael Egnew

LT Jake Long
LG Richie Incognito
C Mike Pouncey
RG John Jerry
RT Lydon Murtha

SDE Jared Odrick
DT Randy Starks
DT Paul Soliai
RDE Cameron Wake

SLB Koa Misi
MLB Karlos Dansby
WLB Kevin Burnett

CB Sean Smith
FS Chris Clemens
SS Reshad Jones
CB Vontae Davis

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Week 1 Starting Lineup
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: May 25, 2012 09:47AM

QB Matt Moore
RB Reggie Bush
FB Charles Clay
WR Brian Hartline
WR Clyde Gates
TE Anthony Fasano

LT Jake Long
LG Richie Incognito
C Mike Pouncey
RG John Jerry
RT Jonathan Martin

SDE Jared Odrick
DT Randy Starks
DT Paul Soliai
RDE Cameron Wake

SLB Austin Spitler
MLB Karlos Dansby
WLB Kevin Burnett

CB Jimmy Wilson
FS Tyrell Johnson
SS Reshad Jones
CB Vontae Davis

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: May 25, 2012 10:04AM

I see your reasoning, on your line up. Here are my comments, I dont see Legedu being the starting #2 WR day 1. Murtha, over Martin, could be the call...Especially since Martin is back at Stanford while Murtha is getting comfortable at RT during OTA's. Martin is gonna have to take the job away from Murtha.. Question is, if Murtha gets the starting RT spot day 1. DO they move Martin to RG, over Jerry?
Then I think MISI is a wildcard..Burnett, unsure of, he was hot and cold last year.. I like the young kid Keadu, fighting for a spot, but he is back at Oregon finishing school missing OTA's like Martin is with stanford. Reshad and Clemons, seems like a possibility, but I would not discredit, Tyrell Johson,Jimmy WIlson, or Tyrone Culver chances at sneaking into one of the spots either.. Although I think Reshad is a lock....
Sean SMith, this guys seems to always practice well, and it doesnt seem to translate to the field very often. most of the year last year he wasn't that good.. I am curious to see where his game is at this year. He will probably get the nod week 1, but I am not sure how long he will hold it. Richard Marshall, can play, and WIlson and Carrol, covered the #1 spot when Vontae was hurt last year....

My favt part, the DLine... That is a strong group....Odrick, Starks, Solia, Wake....

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: May 25, 2012 10:18AM

Yup...You're looking at 30 sacks right there. Add in McD for passing down and there's 4 more.

I have a blockbuster for ya....

Lamar Miller shows so much big play ability he gets the nod at HB. Reggie Bush starts as the number 2 WR.

Lamar Miller and Daniel Thomas give us the thunder and lightning duo.

.....................................................................................

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: May 25, 2012 01:35PM

eesti Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yup...You're looking at 30 sacks right there. Add
> in McD for passing down and there's 4 more.
>
> I have a blockbuster for ya....
>
> Lamar Miller shows so much big play ability he
> gets the nod at HB. Reggie Bush starts as the
> number 2 WR.
>
> Lamar Miller and Daniel Thomas give us the thunder
> and lightning duo.

I like it eesti.

not sure if its going to be our starting lineup but I think teams are going to see a lot of:

QB: Garrard/Tannehill
RB: Miller
TE: Clay/Egnew
Wr: Hartline
Wr: Bess
Wr: Bush

I don't really care much what happens this year record-wise.

All I want to see is Tannehill show me he's the future and Egnew and Miller show me they are playmakers.

I'm pretty sure Martin will be solid or better at RT.

Its a lot to ask for all of then to pan out, but if they do we are well on our way.

Posted by: Flippersbest ()
Date: May 25, 2012 04:45PM

I love our rb situation. We are soooooo stacked at the rb position that our team alone will eat up espn highlight reels all week long.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2012 04:50PM by Flippersbest.

Date: May 31, 2012 09:36AM

Reports say Murtha has been replaced with the first team at OTA's by Hicks who has played his entire career in WCO/zone blocking.

IMO this is a temporary move b/c of his experience to show Murtha the way. I don't think he has the skill set to start and be effective. I also think things will be different once the pads come on.

He is doing well now but they are basically just walk-throughs. When things heat up I look for the main competition to be Murtha and Martin.

Sure wish Jonathon Martin wasn't missing all these OTA's!

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: May 31, 2012 01:44PM

Lol

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: June 03, 2012 09:53AM

Ditto.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: June 03, 2012 12:22PM

For those of you who were looking for the posts about the identity of certain posters and former banned folks, I split the thread and moved that part to the phins.com forum.

Date: June 20, 2012 05:43AM

So who do you think are the (6) WR's that make the roster? Assuming we keep that many.

Probable close to this order based on what i've read so far...and yes it is early and the pads haven't been on yet.

Chad Johnson
Brian Hartline
Legadu Naanee
Davone Bess
Roberto Wallace
Clyde Gates
Marlon Moore
Julius Pruitt
BJ Cunningham
Rishard Mathews
Jeff Fuller

IMO..

Chad Johnson has a bounce back year and gets close to 1000 yards. I would love to see him tear up the NE db's for payback.

Brian Hartline will improve. He is smart and will digest the offense. This is his 4th year and he could take the next step. The biggest question is where in the hell is he? Is he injured or what?

Haven't heard much about Bess and how he's fitting into the new offense.

Roberto Wallace had the WCO in college and reportedly has looked good in practice.

Naanee should be the 3rd or 4th guy. Not sure that he will step into a starting role unless something is wrong with Hartline.

I don't see any of the rookies making the team unless Hartline is injured or we cut Clyde "No Glide" gates.

Is Clyde Gates gonna get cut this year? Another flop mid round WR?

Date: June 20, 2012 06:46AM

I think if they are going to go with the fast break offense that's been discussed then its not a question of keeping 5 or 6 wr's...its a question of keeping 6 or 7.

I believe the Packers carried 5 wr, 5 TE and, 3 RB, 2 QB's and a FB on their 53 man roster last year when they broke camp.

Not that our offense is exactly like theirs but its similar. If anything it seems ours could be even more up tempo which would place a premium on WR's.

So, that's 16 roster spots for their offensive skill players.

If we do the same there are some really interesting decisions to be made.

Its too early to say with any conviction but if the season started tomorrow I think our 16 might look something like this:

QB (2): Garrard, Tannehill
RB (3): Bush, Thomas, Miller
FB (0):
TE (4): Fasano, Egnew, Clay, Yeatman
WR (7): Johnson, Hartline, Bess, Naanee, Wallace, Fuller, Gates

For me, it seems to come down to Gates, fuller and Yeatman as the question marks.

Do you want to keep that young TE/WR or a 3rd QB (moore/devlin), 4th RB (slaton) or a FB?

Right now I'm inclined to want to keep the guys with more upside and who might be here for more than this season. But that could change once they actually put on the pads.

Odds are there will be an injury or two that make the decisions easier but if that doesn't happen, then final cuts are going to be very interesting.

Date: June 20, 2012 08:10AM

Not sure if you're talking about the active roster or not but you left out a QB....Moore.

So you think Gates will actually make the team? Word is he is struggling with new offense and dropping balls. Ireland hasn't been too patient with guys who struggle. Patrick Turner and Shawn Murphy. Gates only saving grace is he is a decent returner. He may be the 6th guy.

IMO Yeatman doesn't make the roster.

We also signed Ryan Mahaffey who will be fighting for a spot and previously played TE and FB. Another H-back type guy.

And also Jorvorskie Lane who is more of a true FB.

Reggie Bush is being coached up at WR and should split out wide at times this year. Does that open up an extra spot for RB? Not sure. We could end up seeing Bush at WR in certain sets with Thomas and Miller alternating at HB. Not saying full time but I think we will see it to get our playmakers on the field.

Word is Marcus Thigpen is looking quick at HB.

Cuts will be interesting as you stated.

Date: June 20, 2012 09:06AM

eesti Wrote:
> Reggie Bush is being coached up at WR and should
> split out wide at times this year. Does that open
> up an extra spot for RB? Not sure. We could end up
> seeing Bush at WR in certain sets with Thomas and
> Miller alternating at HB. Not saying full time but
> I think we will see it to get our playmakers on
> the field.
>
I could see him running a reverse in that set about once-a-game. It's good to hear that we're trying to get Bush the ball in the open field as much as possible. That's his biggest asset!

Date: June 20, 2012 09:26AM

Date: June 20, 2012 10:01AM

eesti Wrote:
> Not sure if you're talking about the active roster
> or not but you left out a QB....Moore.
>

I didn't forget him. I don't think he's on the team. I said a few months ago I'd trade him and go with Garrard, Tannehill and Devlin (on the practice squad).

The rules changes last year expanded the active game day roster from 45 with an emergency QB to 46 and the removal of emergency QB rule.

As a result, some teams, Green Bay among them decided to use that extra spot that was once reserved for a 3rd QB on another position each week.

This resulted in some teams, like the Packers, only carrying 2 QB's on their active roster and a 3rd guy on the developmental squad.

Afterall, how many times do you need 3 QB's in one game? And if you are on #3 QB your season is likely over anyway.

I'm just guessing, but perhaps our new coach subscribes to that theory as well since he comes from that organization.

If its me, I think I trade Moore for whatever I can get in August. Go with Garrard and Tannehill.

> So you think Gates will actually make the team?
> Word is he is struggling with new offense and
> dropping balls. Ireland hasn't been too patient
> with guys who struggle. Patrick Turner and Shawn
> Murphy. Gates only saving grace is he is a decent
> returner. He may be the 6th guy.

Gates has to pick it up for sure, but keep in mind, he was a developmental WR last year and is now in his second offense in two years with only one real off-season of preparation.

He may get the axe but because of his speed and potential I try to find a way to keep him. His special teams contributions will go a long way to determining that.

>
> IMO Yeatman doesn't make the roster.

Could be but we'll need a 4th TE.

>
> We also signed Ryan Mahaffey who will be fighting
> for a spot and previously played TE and FB.
> Another H-back type guy.
>
> And also Jorvorskie Lane who is more of a true FB.

I think Clay gets the "FB" duties in this offense. That's why we need a 3rd FT TE.

Fasano, Egnew, Clay and Yeatman give us the best roster flexibility based on what I've seen from our roster so far.

>
>
> Reggie Bush is being coached up at WR and should
> split out wide at times this year. Does that open
> up an extra spot for RB? Not sure. We could end up
> seeing Bush at WR in certain sets with Thomas and
> Miller alternating at HB. Not saying full time but
> I think we will see it to get our playmakers on
> the field.

Splitting Bush out wide 5-10 times a game doesn't really impact our roster needs in my mind.

I still view him as a RB...and our starting RB at that.

But I could see the need for a 4th RB, but that means you dump the 4th TE or 7th WR.

>
> Word is Marcus Thigpen is looking quick at HB.

I'll believe that when I see it. Right now he's camp fodder. He's 3 years removed from college, undrafted and bounced between the NFL and CFL.

He's going to have to show me a lot to make me keep him over Gates, Fuller or Yeatman.

I actually think Slaton is our #4 if we keep 4.

>
> Cuts will be interesting as you stated.

Yeah. So many different ways to go...and so much will change between now and late August as guys get more and more familiar with the new system.

Date: June 23, 2012 03:37AM

I forgot about Slaton and he comes from a zone blocking scheme too.

I am liking what I am hearing about Clay. I am just curious to see how he lines up.

Also hearing good things about Odrick and Vernon. I had a feeling Odrick may turn into a Pro Bowler this year at DE and maybe he doesn't even come off the field on passing downs.

It is encouraging to hear how explosive O Vernon looks. Pads aren't on yet but maybe our nickel may look like this....

SDE Vernon
DT Starks
DT Odrick
WDE Wake

That could be a pretty sweet line to get pressure with 4 men.

I think it would be a mistake to trade Moore. Even if he is second string he is only one Gerrard injury away from starting and DG is coming back from back injuries. Sounds like RT has some work to do adjusting to the speed of the game.

I am also feeling better about our WR's. Naanee and CJ are getting good reviews.

Hartline, Naanee, CJ, Bess would be a decent group with upside. Pruitt and Wallace are also doing well.

Haven't heard ANYTHING about Egnew.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2012 03:38AM by eesti.

Date: June 23, 2012 05:44AM

eesti Wrote:

>
> SDE Vernon
> DT Starks
> DT Odrick
> WDE Wake
>
> That could be a pretty sweet line to get pressure
> with 4 men.

I think that was the plan when they drafted him.

Use that line in passing situations and sit for Soliai on running downs with Odrick sliding outside.

>
> I think it would be a mistake to trade Moore. Even
> if he is second string he is only one Gerrard
> injury away from starting and DG is coming back
> from back injuries. Sounds like RT has some work
> to do adjusting to the speed of the game.

I think it comes down to money. Moore is in the last year of his contract that pays him something like $3m this year.

Garrard has a 1 year deal that is worth 1m but has a few mill in achievable incentives if he starts.

Personally, I'd rather get something for Moore if he's just going to be a back up, not pay him 3 mill and only go with 2 QB's on the 53 man roster so I can keep a guy like Gates who could develop into a long term contributor for this team given time to learn. But that's me.

Date: June 23, 2012 10:19AM

THE Truth Wrote:
> Personally, I'd rather get something for Moore if
> he's just going to be a back up, not pay him 3
> mill and only go with 2 QB's on the 53 man roster
> so I can keep a guy like Gates who could develop
> into a long term contributor for this team given
> time to learn. But that's me.

It would be completely irresponsible to go with only 2 QBs. If one guy gets hurt you have no backup!!!

I would definitely like to keep Gates (you can't teach speed), but there should be another way to keep an extra WR without ditching a QB. Maybe go with Clay at FB and only 2 guys at TE?

Date: June 23, 2012 02:44PM

Date: June 23, 2012 06:23PM

THE Truth Wrote:
> montequi Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > THE Truth Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > Personally, I'd rather get something for
> Moore
> > if
> > > he's just going to be a back up, not pay him
> 3
> > > mill and only go with 2 QB's on the 53 man
> > roster
> > > so I can keep a guy like Gates who could
> > develop
> > > into a long term contributor for this team
> > given
> > > time to learn. But that's me.
> >
> > It would be completely irresponsible to go with
> > only 2 QBs. If one guy gets hurt you have no
> > backup!!!
>
> I'll grant you that Moore or Garrard (Tannehill is
> a lock to make the team) isn't your average 3rd
> string QB so you could argue for keeping a guy
> that could possibly help you a game or two. But
> as a philosophical point I think "irresponsible"
> is a bit harsh.
>
> As I said earlier, GB did it last year and they
> nearly went undefeated.
>
> Lets look at it this way...tell me how many times
> in the last 5 or 10 years a team has had to go to
> its 3rd QB in a game due to two QB injuries? 5?
> 10?

RESPONSE: Maybe I'm misunderstanding and misreading the point being made but, from our own website, these were the starters at the end of the season BEFORE last season.............

Pos Starters 2nd Team 3rd Team
Offense:
QB 7 Chad Henne 16 Tyler Thigpen 10 Chad Pennington

Moreover, the next season, didn't we start with Chad Henne, Moore, and either Pennington or Thigpen?

Now, in how many of those games did that 3rd
> stringer win?

RESPONSE: Then Moore was the Third stringer and He won about 6 games out of about 9, right?

>
> I'm going to suggest that you could probably count
> on one hand the number of times that's happened in
> the last decade...if not on one finger.
>
> That's at most a couple/handful of times that 3rd
> QB had a major, positive impact on a team over the
> past 5100+ regular season games (last decade).

Date: June 27, 2012 06:42AM

I just don't understand this statement from Reshad Jones....

“I made a big jump. I feel a lot more comfortable now that I know the defense,” Jones said. “I got some game experience last year and now I can run around out there and not think, just be able to make plays.”

How does he know the defense already? It's a new defense.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: June 27, 2012 09:33AM

Chyren wrote:
> Moreover, the next season, didn't we start with Chad Henne, Moore, and either Pennington or Thigpen?

> RESPONSE: Then Moore was the Third stringer and He won about 6 games out of about 9, right?

Chyren maybe I missed something but ... you were good up to the point you said Moore was the 3rd QB, ... when by your statements it was Pennington or Thigpen as 3rd ... Moore was 2nd thus the point is not supported.

Date: June 27, 2012 03:24PM

The reason I put Moore ahead in that first sentence was not to say he was the Second string QB but because I couldn't remember whether it was Pennington or Thigpen that was the third (not number 3 but Henne plus Moore plus one of them makes three). I never meant to imply that Moore was the number 2.

PhinJim, now I may be wrong. But on our own website it stated that in January 2011 at the end of the 2010 season and before the 2011-2012 season (this past season) Chad Henne was listed as no.1 and Tyler Thigpen was listed as no. 2 (presumably Pennington was gone).

Now to me, that would make Moore no. 3 when he was signed. I seemed to remember that Henne got injured, Thigpen replaced him and then Thigpen got injured and then Moore got the job.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.