HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Bounty Hunters...
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Bounty Hunters...
Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: March 03, 2012 05:34AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bounty Hunters...
Posted by: JC ()
Date: March 03, 2012 06:30AM

If he had any balls he'd take away their Lombardi trophy. But the Patsies got away with a minor penalty for cheating--I think it'll be fines and not much else.

Date: March 03, 2012 06:41AM

JC Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If he had any balls he'd take away their Lombardi
> trophy. But the Patsies got away with a minor
> penalty for cheating--I think it'll be fines and
> not much else.

JC, the pats had to forfeit a 1st round pick for spygate. That's far from a minor penalty.

And this is MUCH worse than that. Spygate didn't intentionally put players health and careers at risk for money.

All the speculation that I've seen so far is the penalties will be far more severe for the Saints and Williams than they were for the Pats and Belicheat.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: March 03, 2012 07:18AM

I have no problem at all with this. This stuff goes back to the beginnings of football history.

I used to get rewarded in pee wee football for hurting other teams players.

If you didn't think this stuff is going on within about every team then you are ignorant.

The worst part of this situation is that allowed it to be uncovered and publicized.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 03, 2012 07:20AM

I thought this was tackle football? yes it was shady and against the rules but man they are making it out to be the worst thing ever. I thought spygate was worse

Date: March 03, 2012 07:21AM

if we had gotten fisher, williams wouldve been our DC and he'd have been suspended. more and more I am happy we got philbin not fisher

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: March 03, 2012 08:01AM

Date: March 03, 2012 09:29AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> if we had gotten fisher, williams wouldve been our
> DC and he'd have been suspended. more and more I
> am happy we got philbin not fisher

I think there's a BIG difference between rewarding someone with a day off or no wind sprints because they lit someone up with a clean, hard hit that knocked them out of the game and paying someone cash for knocking a guy our with a cheap (or even a clean) shot.

One encourages people to excel within the bounds of the game. The other encourages them to go out of their way to injur an opponent to gain an edge.

Its like the difference between being a guy that pitches inside and a guy that throws a 100mph fastball at a batters head.

Date: March 03, 2012 09:44AM

Yeah, football is not only a game of inches, it's a game of seconds.

The second that the QB has to glance and see whether he is going to get hammered again is the second that he is not concentrating on what is happening downfield.

It's part of football to deliver a hard, clean blow and despite the current concern with concussions, this is impossible to eliminate unless you fundamentally change the game.

But whether it be football or basketball, like that Laker did when he tried to undercut that Mav who went up for a slam dunk, no sports has any place for someone trying to intentionally INJURE someone.

If we are going to ban gamblers from being players, ban substance users from being players, why does it make sense to allow someone to not be permanently banned from committing an act which would be an aggravated crime (not just a regular crime but aggravated) if it were done on the street.

Date: March 03, 2012 09:48AM

Cheating is much worse. What the pats did was way, way worse.

I agree with Berk, this is made out to be worse than it is. I don't recall any Gregg Williams led defense hurting more players than any other defense.

Just my opinion.

---------------------

Date: March 03, 2012 10:15AM

But what if it were your kid, A & O, that ended up permanently in a wheelchair not because of a good hard hit but someone who intentionally went out to injure him?

I'd venture to say that you just might regard that as much worse than the opposing coach secretly videotaping your son's practices.

Whenever we measure the goodness of a good deed or the badness of a sin, in both cases, we must judge either from the standpoint of how much we would have appreciated the good deed done us or how much we would have hated it if the bad deed was done TO us.

Date: March 03, 2012 10:28AM

They know the risks when they decided to play.

Rules have been set up to prevent "illegal" hits by the league and rules are getting stricter by the season.

---------------------

Date: March 03, 2012 10:46AM

Date: March 03, 2012 04:39PM

Sorry man. I don't have a problem with it. I believe most teams in the league do this, and the fact that Tony Dungy named other teams....proves my point.

And ultimately, I have no problem with this. I believe we should send in our worst linebacker and have him intentionally try to knock Tom Brady out of the game if Brady starts to get on fire.

But hey, that's just me.

---------------------

Date: March 03, 2012 04:47PM

I gave it my best shot.

Date: March 03, 2012 05:10PM

grinning smiley

---------------------

Date: March 03, 2012 05:11PM

if these players were really trying to injure someone, it would be the easiest thing in the world. grab the qbs knee and TWIST. no one was pulling that move. short of that they were trying to hit them as hard as they could, which is what players are trying to do anyway. I agree it's unseemly and needs to be punished b/c the league can't be seen as condoning intentional injuries, but really nothing like that occurred so to hear everyone making this out to be the worst think in the world I think it a bit much. the saints are going to get hammered with lost draft picks, suspended coaches, etc. that's a lot.

Date: March 03, 2012 05:43PM

If it as you describe it, berk. Just trying to hit them as hard as they could, then I've got no problem with that. But is that what was being paid for or was it the "intentional injuries" of which you later spoke?

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: March 03, 2012 06:26PM

No matter if we think its right or wrong, the NFL HAS to take a stand on this issue, they absolutely have to draw a line in the sand and punish whatever teams or coaches caught putting paid bounties on players head.

Date: March 03, 2012 07:08PM

I'd be curious to know whether saints opponents got hurt more than others. if not then the whole "trying to hurt the opponent" thing didn't work too well. I think they were trying to hit the guys as hard as they could (cleanly or they'd be flagged all the time) and if it so happened they hurt the guy, they'd get $$. sleazy sure but till there is evidence of out-of-the-ordinary type hits (knee shots, head to head, etc) I'm not going to get worked up about this

Date: March 03, 2012 07:30PM

Funny thing is that the Truth and I are, on this rare occasion, on the same side.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: March 04, 2012 05:02AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> Funny thing is that the Truth and I are, on this
> rare occasion, on the same side.

What's even funnier is he don't even know that spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: March 04, 2012 05:41AM

Redskins are being investigated. Would be cold if the lose their first round pick.

---------------------

Posted by: dolfans1 ()
Date: March 04, 2012 06:43AM

As punishment for the Saints bounty system, Roger Goodell will award the Patriots an additional 1st round draft pick this year.

Date: March 04, 2012 06:45AM

Date: March 04, 2012 06:45AM

dolfans1 Wrote:
> As punishment for the Saints bounty system, Roger
> Goodell will award the Patriots an additional 1st
> round draft pick this year.

HAHAHAHA!

thumbs up

Date: March 04, 2012 07:29AM

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: March 04, 2012 09:43AM

There’s NO PLACE for that kind of crap in football.

As others have noted dudes that are that big fast and powerful can impart permanent damage and don’t need to be “rewarded” for halfway killing a guy.

On the other hand I can’t stand the flag football rules the Lady in NE plays under but she’s such a pathetic athlete she needs protection.

Wah wah wah all the way home to the Lady’s 80-thoudsand square foot mansion in Brentwood.

BNF. Yet there's more.

Date: March 04, 2012 10:13AM

Agree 100%, BNF, including the part that the "helmet to helmet" and "leading with your helmet" rules are ridiculous. I know the risk of concussion but, as with boxing, it's just part of the game. The only thing unforgiveable is the intent to injure. Oh yes, there was a sport like that back around the time of Ancient Rome and they were called Gladiators.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2012 10:16AM by ChyrenB.

Posted by: chrisnnavarre ()
Date: March 04, 2012 05:49PM

One thing is for sure, the Saints are screwed for next season, and maybe a few follow on seasons as well. The league will send the stongest message in history on this one. They may even lose their head coach for a good part of the year, not to mention the draft choices they're going to flush down the toilet.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.