HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          An actual meeting today with Manning
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
An actual meeting today with Manning
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 12, 2012 06:01PM

man this was kept hush hush. Nice to see the team being proactive and not waiting till the 1st day of FA to come to them. If we get spurned by manning, at least we tried. There'd be a silver lining to that ,too.

Chris Mortensen ?
Peyton Manning met between 5 & 6 hours late today with #Dolphins coach Joe Philbin and other staff members in Indianapolis, per sources.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: An actual meeting today with Manning
Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: March 12, 2012 06:24PM

I wonder if they had snacks? I hope we brought some chicken wings and maybe some salsa. I also heard Peyton loves bacon.

Good. Maybe now we can move on. And pass the nachos please.

Way to stay on top of it Berk.

Date: March 12, 2012 06:30PM

This has to be unprecented. We actually go to Indy , after he traveled to Arizona and Denver. WE are being Interviewed , except for us interviewing the player. We look like schnooks.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: March 12, 2012 07:02PM

I agree TCP.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: March 12, 2012 07:04PM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This has to be unprecented. We actually go to Indy
> , after he traveled to Arizona and Denver. WE are
> being Interviewed , except for us interviewing the
> player. We look like schnooks.

Now, as they used to say in big business offices in the 1950's, "Let's just run this flag up and see who salutes."

You guys know I don't want Peyton. But what if he is acting SO COLD toward Miami PRECISELY FOR THE REASON that he knows that he has already decided to come here.

All of the drama with Denver, etc., could be not only to drive up the price (with Miami, it would have the opposite effect on Denver) and would make that ultimate decision to go with Miami seem as though it was something that "was meant to be" because, after all, one could hardly say that he was showing favoritism to Miami from the start.

The reason he would play such a game? From the moment his cutting was announced, even out here in California, I've heard nothing from the Sports gurus but that he would end up in Miami.

Let's not be so quick to count Miami out.

Posted by: Offerdahl ()
Date: March 12, 2012 07:21PM

> This has to be unprecented. We actually go to Indy
> , after he traveled to Arizona and Denver. WE are
> being Interviewed , except for us interviewing the
> player. We look like schnooks.

What a load...

FYI, THIS player is interviewing ALL the teams that he visits. What did you think, he went to Denver to beg Elway for the privilege so he could play for the Broncos?

A "5-6 hour meeting" in Indy; away from the helicopter chases... I see that about as promising s anything I have heard.

So far all I have seen from the Dolphins staff is having treated the whole Manning affair with total discretion and competence. The whole storyline of Miami screwing up the whole thing comes from "sources" that keep getting proven wrong every 2 hours. Like review anything that has come out of the mouths of Mortensen or Shafter (sic) and the rest of then morons at ESPN just within the last day.

Date: March 12, 2012 07:26PM

love the name, Offerdahl

Date: March 12, 2012 07:40PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> love the name, Offerdahl

thumbs up

---------------------

Date: March 12, 2012 07:45PM

You can have your own twist on it..........Its still unprecented. We still look like fools if we don't land him. (And I'm with Chyrene, I wanted a much more permanent solution). But I want the Broncos to eat shit now. I hope Peyton goes with us or elsewhere, And Tebow demands a trade.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: March 12, 2012 07:58PM

Actually, if there's anyone in this organization that could sway someone to want to play here, it would be coach Philbin. The man is no nonsense and very well spoken. He's an attention getter when he speaks. I'm certain that it was better for Manning to speak with a respected football minded person rather than a rich owner who knows nothing about the game compared to the man who did the talking for the Dolphins.

I'm satisfied that this team at least got some attention from Manning, so now whatever decision he makes, I'm confident that he's at least impressed with Philbin. If he chooses to play in an easier division, well he can have at it, it's his choice to make. I'd be disappointed of course, it would be nice for Philbin to already have a legendary QB to work with already on his roster to start his tenure with. I do however have enough faith in Philbin though to predict that he's going to be a great HC, and one who's well capable of developing his own QB.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2012 07:59PM by 808phan.

Posted by: Offerdahl ()
Date: March 12, 2012 08:07PM

> You can have your own twist on it..........Its
> still unprecented. We still look like fools if we
> don't land him. (And I'm with Chyrene, I wanted a
> much more permanent solution). But I want the
> Broncos to eat shit now. I hope Peyton goes with
> us or elsewhere, And Tebow demands a trade.

It sure is unprecedented... No player of this caliber has been on the unrestricted free agent market since Montana... Or ever.

Almost half of the NFL teams have expressed public interest or are suspected to have made private overtures to Manning. All but one will be disappointed, but that does not automatically make them fools.

My problem with your statements is that you seem to think that the Fins management is acting like clowns and embarrassing the team. I have not seen ANYTHING to support that. If you have info to share, please do.

At the end of the day, we might well lose out on Manning, but I suspect that it will be decided around issues of fit (with the coaching staff philosophy or offensive schemes or whatever) than the management being a bunch of rubes, or whatever storyline ESPN is pushing that day.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: March 12, 2012 08:27PM

Offerdahl, glad to have you aboard but you do know that our management has not made the brightest of decisions in the last several years, do you not?

So not to say that you are not right about this particular situation but just to say that I don't denounce any characterization of the management as being less than stellar.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: March 12, 2012 11:23PM

As far as the past goes, I think that whoever was scared away from the Dolphins (Harbaugh & Fisher come to my mind) was due to the fact that this is a tough division, more so than who owns or runs it.

As far as the present goes, I think this organization is doing a fantastic job in dealing with Peyton Manning. The meeting was anything but a circus; it was all about the game, and having it done in secrecy led by an offensive mastermind was brilliant.

I'm left with the impression that Ross trusts the people who he hired to get things done, and that's the way it should be. He shouldn't have to do anything more than sign the checks. I totally respect the man for keeping a low profile and his mouth shut during the frenzy that the media is making out of every little thing lately.

Date: March 13, 2012 02:15AM

Offerdahl Wrote:
> TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > You can have your own twist on it..........Its
> > still unprecented. We still look like fools if
> we
> > don't land him. (And I'm with Chyrene, I wanted
> a
> > much more permanent solution). But I want the
> > Broncos to eat shit now. I hope Peyton goes
> with
> > us or elsewhere, And Tebow demands a trade.
>
> It sure is unprecedented... No player of this
> caliber has been on the unrestricted free agent
> market since Montana... Or ever.
>
> Almost half of the NFL teams have expressed public
> interest or are suspected to have made private
> overtures to Manning. All but one will be
> disappointed, but that does not automatically make
> them fools.
>
> My problem with your statements is that you seem
> to think that the Fins management is acting like
> clowns and embarrassing the team. I have not seen
> ANYTHING to support that. If you have info to
> share, please do.
>
> At the end of the day, we might well lose out on
> Manning, but I suspect that it will be decided
> around issues of fit (with the coaching staff
> philosophy or offensive schemes or whatever) than
> the management being a bunch of rubes, or whatever
> storyline ESPN is pushing that day.

WRONGO. They are not ACTING like Fools. They are being TREATED like Fools. There is a difference. Some Teams seem to garner respect , lately the Phins can't even get respect from the surrounding communities. They are like a Giant Black Mercedes parked next to a dumpster getting shit on by every Pigeon and dumpster diver in the area.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: March 13, 2012 03:47AM

How is having a 6 hour meeting away from a media circus being treated like fools?

Manning has not even had his agent at any of these meetings. These meetings have been all about football. There is no reason for Ross to be there.

Date: March 13, 2012 04:35AM

Well #1.....Manning TRAVELED to them. I know its petty, but again going back to Indy and having them come to you while he went to Arizonia and Denver just makes us look like chumps. If we score him fine, but if we don't we look like douches.

#2 I believe Ross was not invited. Holy Shit.......thats like sending your maid to buy a house for you. I know they wanted to make this a Football meeting , but it just reverbarates disrespect if they don't land Manning.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: March 13, 2012 04:39AM

We are not acting like fools, nor are we being treated like fools. ANY team Manning has an interview with is being interviewed by him. He has the final and only say in this affair. Nothing any team says or promises him will make any difference if he does not choose to play there....it's a sellers market.

The only questions a team should have are; are you healthy, can I see doctor's reports and evaluations, how's the nerve regineration coming and do you have any doctor's reports with regard to it, are you willing to let our doctor's examine you, you are aware that you'd have to pass a physical, can we see the film of you throwing at Duke, when can you throw for us, are you open to an incentive laden contract, how many more years are you expecting to play, are you open to being a mentor for, and working with our younger players, what can you do for us, what makes Peyton Manning the right QB for the Miami Dolphins, and what can we do for you in order to get you in our uniform?

Peyton is the one who should have all of the detailed questions regarding systems, stratigies, philosophies, ego's, ideologies, individual players, the current and future roster, facilities, trainers, doctors, training camps, etc, etc.

Date: March 13, 2012 05:16AM

What would have been the harm if Ross came and shook his hand? Even if he told him to go sit in another room and watch reruns of American chopper, Ross just has no respect in the NFL. I bet Peyton had a thing or two to say about the red Carpet and our "celebrity" owners. eye rolling smiley

Date: March 13, 2012 06:12AM

have you SEEN ross? keep him away from Payton, have someone else hand him the checks

Date: March 13, 2012 06:34AM

I bet that situation with Saprano last season didn't sit right with Peyton either.

Date: March 13, 2012 07:40AM

Look I guarantee Philbin just won over Peyton.

Here is a man who lost a son, has his first shot at HC in a new city, also he is fresh from a SB where he cordinated the offense to which was one if not the best in the NFL at that time.

This man is smart, classy and total football savvy.

Peyton in the least gained alot of respect for Philbin, and to me at least garners enough positive influence to make his decision really tuff, and finaly ending with a 5 year deal in place so Manning can retire at 40 ending a hell of a football career with two more SB's to his belt.

Eat it ESPN, damn just Eat it.

Date: March 13, 2012 07:48AM

GodAlmightyDolphinsRule Wrote:
> Look I guarantee Philbin just won over Peyton.
>
> Here is a man who lost a son, has his first shot
> at HC in a new city, also he is fresh from a SB
> where he cordinated the offense to which was one
> if not the best in the NFL at that time.
>
> This man is smart, classy and total football
> savvy.
>
> Peyton in the least gained alot of respect for
> Philbin, and to me at least garners enough
> positive influence to make his decision really
> tuff, and finaly ending with a 5 year deal in
> place so Manning can retire at 40 ending a hell of
> a football career with two more SB's to his belt.
>
> Eat it ESPN, damn just Eat it.

I Like That!!thumbs up

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: March 13, 2012 07:56AM

My wife wanted to go eat some mongolian beef.....But i said no mongo beef for now babe. hahahaha

Date: March 13, 2012 08:10AM

The thing is, Philbin didn't go alone. Ireland went with him and I'm pretty sure Ireland asked Peyton if his mom is a whore or prostitute.

---------------------

Date: March 13, 2012 08:21AM

From the way his Brother handled the draft , I'd say his Dad was for sure. eye rolling smiley

Date: March 13, 2012 08:34AM

let's just all move on from manning. he's NOT coming here

Posted by: JC ()
Date: March 13, 2012 10:36AM

> From the way his Brother handled the draft , I'd
> say his Dad was for sure. eye rolling smiley

grinning smiley

Date: March 13, 2012 12:55PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> let's just all move on from manning. he's NOT
> coming here

God damn I called the first part, Marshall gone only means 100% Manning and Wayne will be here.

Still sucks we only got two 3rd round picks bahhhhh.

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: March 13, 2012 03:50PM

We wouldn't even have gotten those picks without the good performance at the pro bowl. Great timing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.