HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Free Agency/ Draft
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Free Agency/ Draft
Posted by: realist ()
Date: February 20, 2012 05:02PM

I am going to set the QB issue aside. IMO, they have a plan to either:

a) trade up for Griffin - which makes the rest of the draft a moot point.
b)sign Flynn to a performance based contract to compete with Moore
c) sign Manning and back up with Moore

and ....

d) stick with Moore.

So with that set aside....

We sign a free agent WR (Vincent Jackson) and OL ( RT)

Round 1 DE -Quinton Coples

We desperately need to get to the QB quicker and from both sides. Wake is facing double teams and QB's have too much time. Other than QB this is my TOP priority.

Round 2 TE - Coby Fleener ( Unless Alshon Jeffrey or Michael Floyd slip down to us)

A Top TE changes the game. Coverage issues create opportunities. We haven't had a top 10 TE in years. Great TE's help young QB's.

Round 3 Safety - Winston Guy Jr.

We lost 2-3 games because our FS blew coverage and teams scored on us on big plays...( and Brandon Marshall dropped game winning TD's). we need a solid Safety. In fact I am tempted to say draft higher...but I think Winston Guy Jr. will be an impact player available early in the 3rd round.

Rounds 4-7 LB, LB, LB, LB
We are so thin at LB that we can't defend 3rd and medium. Short yardage yes....long ( dime package) most of the time. 3rd and medium? NO

That is my recipe for success. Thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Free Agency/ Draft
Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: February 20, 2012 05:06PM

I would rather have Melvin Ingram over Coples. Fleener would be cool if he falls to us in the 2nd though. I don't know anything about Guy.

Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: February 20, 2012 08:00PM

Happy with Fleener in the 2nd as well. Don't like the Coples pick. He was too inconsistent in college to draft in the top 10. I don't like any of the first round 4-3 DE actually. To draft a DE in the top 10 means he better become a perennial pro bowl type player and I don't have that confidence in any of those guys. Although if I had to pick one I would go with Coples (highest ceiling).

Not sure about the S you mentioned, don't know much about him. This safety class is really bad though.

I think we will have to stay in house, Garner/Jerry, at RT or draft one because the FA class at OT is very weak. When you say that you would sign an OT in FA, are you referring to a particular player?

I think Reilly Reiff would be a great top 10 pick. He has the ability to play both sides, fills a huge void at RT, and is insurance in case Jake Long has trouble staying healthy or his play slips due to previous injuries.

I don't want to sign Vincent Jackson either. He is already 29 and his play the past two seasons hasn't been as productive as the two seasons prior. He has had run-ins with the law as well. Jackson doesn't have the elite speed we are lacking in our WR corps and isn't a great fit for the WCO. I'd rather spend our money on Nicks, Avril, or Mario Williams.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: February 21, 2012 02:54AM

I agree with JT and 1423.

Like the Fleener pick. Not interested in the rest of it.

We don't need Vincent Jackson. We don't need two WR's making $10 mill a year. If we some how got rid of Marshall then I'd love to get Jackson, but not both.

We definitely need a RT but I don't think there's one available in Free Agency that serves as an upgrade.

Not interested in Coples.

Guy is an interesting pick.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: February 21, 2012 03:55AM

I would love to get Jackson, but only if we can unload Marshall. Number one, there wouldn't be enough footballs around to satisfy their egos, particularly Marshall's. And you really can't justify tying up 1/6th of your cap space in 2 WR. In my opinion, Jackson was the guy we should have got 2 years ago (well, actually, I wanted Nicks 3 years ago). Jackson was a much better fit for what we needed, a consistent deep threat.

If we land Flynn, I look for Moore to be traded. Maybe there is some team out there that would give up a 3rd or 4th for him. Moore is a poor fit in the West Coast Offense, and unloading him in trade would free up $4M in cap space. But, I doubt any team would see him as more than a backup, so maybe a 5th round pick is the best you could get.

I wonder about the OL. Sherman made the comment that there was hidden talent on the OL when he watched the film. The obvious name there is John Jerry, who really played well at RG filling in for Carey, and didn't totally embarrass himself at LT when Long was hurt. The team may think they have an answer at RG with Jerry. If Sherman was referring to other hidden talent, I wonder about Lydon Murtha. Murtha was awful in 2010 at RT, but really was quite solid at LT in the 2011 preseason. The plan was for him to start at RT once Long came back, but Murtha got injured. I can't help but wonder if they think Murtha is viable at RT. And if so, maybe they just add a mediocre veteran in free agency to compete with him.

Date: February 21, 2012 04:25AM

If Mario Williams is available? Jump on that. He would be my top priority. I didn't expect him to be available...but after a little reading...the Texans are in a jam to sign Williams and Foster.

WR? we don't need an elite #1...we need a 'legit #1' someone with sub 4.5 speed and hands. Put that on the field with Marshall, Bess, and an upgrade at TE and we have a dramatically improved WR corp.

I don't have any specific OL in mind....but someone will be available. Bring in 1 solid starter and the Ol is improved. Hard to NOT do better than Columbo.

Date: February 21, 2012 05:15AM

If we keep Vernon Carey at RG...then upgrading Columbo will be easy. That; however, may be done by promoting someone on the depth chart...but we always run into injury issues.

I am not married to the Vincent Jackson signing...but...we do need a TRUE #1 WR to pair with Marshall. Gates has the speed, Wallace has speed and size...but neither are a #1 WR. Vincent Jackson has 4.5 speed, solid hands, runs good routes...and at 29 has 2-3 solid seasons in front of him before the legs lose a step. He isn't going to command top dollar...but will be pricey. I would be cool with somebody else that fits the description. Piere Garcon may be available, Caldwell is fast (4.37) and has decent size but has been opposite marquee #1 speedsters...he would be the most established 'fast guy' on our roster and could flourish with so much attention being paid to Marshall. Get me someone who runs under 4.5.

I know Coples hasn't been consistent when you look at his 'years'...but when you look at this season...he emerged and by the Senior Bowl...he dominated. So he has been on an upward track. If we can get Mario Williams..great...use the #1 on WR or Safety.

Date: February 21, 2012 05:26AM

realist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If Mario Williams is available? Jump on that. He
> would be my top priority. I didn't expect him to
> be available...but after a little reading...the
> Texans are in a jam to sign Williams and Foster.
>
> WR? we don't need an elite #1...we need a 'legit
> #1' someone with sub 4.5 speed and hands. Put
> that on the field with Marshall, Bess, and an
> upgrade at TE and we have a dramatically improved
> WR corp.
>
> I don't have any specific OL in mind....but
> someone will be available. Bring in 1 solid
> starter and the Ol is improved. Hard to NOT do
> better than Columbo.

I think there are a couple of things we need to get in free agency. The more we get there the more options we have in the draft.

Beyond qb...

We need a pass rusher to go with wake. Either a 4-3 DE or a 3-4 OLB. Mario Williams, Anthony Spencer or Cliff Avril would take care of that issue.

An inexpensive olineman.

A free safety.

A WR

Date: February 21, 2012 05:32AM

Yeah, I don't want us to spend too much on WR either. Wouldn't it be great if they can find (or develop from within) our own Victor Cruz, Patrick Crayton, Vincent Jackson undrafted/low pick low salary guy.

Roberto Wallace is a big, fast ( 4.4) guy who just started playing football in his last year of high school. It would great if he had a break out season finally using his athleticism and size.

I think John Jerry is going to be a starter this year. Our dearly departed Sparano staff did not develop players. Jerry is primed to be a starter. I still want a new OL for depth/competition/versatility.

Murtha looks like a beast...hope he plays like one.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: February 21, 2012 05:48AM

It will be robert griffith3 or we will be as good as we've been the last 15 or so years.

Take your pick.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: February 21, 2012 07:38AM

as someone who has had v jax on his fantasy team so followed all his games closely---he is WAY too inconsistent to give money too, leaving aside the $ could be spent better elsewhere than on our WR corp

I don't think trading moore is a possiblity, nor should it be. He is making backup QB money and is a very good backup, at worst. We'd need a backup, so why dump him? a very un "dolphinmark" suggestion

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: February 21, 2012 08:58AM

1st Round- Reilly Reiff
2nd Round- Dwayne Allen
3rd Round- Josh Chapman

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: February 21, 2012 09:03AM

And we will suck for barkley again next year.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: February 21, 2012 11:29AM

It's gonna be a QB (manning/Flynn) OR a big name/big money guy like Nicks or Mario in FA, but not both. We just don't have the available salary cap space for 2 big money guys. So what would you rather have, Mario Williams with the QB upgrade being a Tannenhill/Weedon or Kirk Cousins type, or Flynn/Manning with all other major upgrades coming via the draft?

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: February 21, 2012 12:34PM

ideal scenario--
(1) we sign flynn and spend our #1 on the best pass rusher available, or (less thrilled by this) the best OT which should be reiff
(2) the browns sign flynn and the skins sign manning leaving us as the best suitor to trade up for RG3 (risky if we don't get him)

manning scares me. if we sign manning we HAVE to spend a 2d rounder (or trade back into the 1st) for his "franchise successor," which I don't think can be weedon b/c in 2-3 years he will be like 32 himself, won't be tannehill b/c he will go in top 15, and will probably be kirk cousins or someone which seems like the chad henne route all over again

worst scenario: we get no FA QB and no RG3 and end up taking tanehill at 8-9, or (gulp) trading UP to get him (could happen)

Date: February 21, 2012 04:48PM

Actually we a have $15 Million in CAP space without making any cuts.

With the way contracts are pro-rated, we could sign 2 big contracts.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: February 21, 2012 06:19PM

Rumor has it we will sign Reggie Nelson

Mike Wallace might be avail due to cap reasons unless they restructure

Date: February 22, 2012 02:21AM

jlyell13 Wrote:
> Rumor has it we will sign Reggie Nelson
>
> Mike Wallace might be avail due to cap reasons
> unless they restructure

I'd take both of them and be thrilled.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: February 22, 2012 06:06AM

THE Truth Wrote:
> jlyell13 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Rumor has it we will sign Reggie Nelson
> >
> > Mike Wallace might be avail due to cap reasons
> > unless they restructure
>
>
> I'd take both of them and be thrilled.

But Mike Wallace is still mourning the passing of his best buddy Andy Rooney and is unlikely to give up his 60 Minutes broadcasting gig.

*groan*

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: February 22, 2012 08:09AM

realist Wrote:
> Actually we a have $15 Million in CAP space
> without making any cuts.
>
> With the way contracts are pro-rated, we could
> sign 2 big contracts.

Roughly 5 mil of that is going towards draft picks though, leaving 9/10/11 mil depending on which report you believe. Maybe they draft Tannehill and go shopping in FA and land 2 big names? We shall see in a few weeks I guess.

Date: February 22, 2012 04:22PM

Reggie Nelson didn't turn out to be quite the impact player that he was promoted as...but...he is a clear upgrade over our guys.

Wallace would be a great acquisition!

I would be down with that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.