HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Please NOOOO! Not Manning!
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Please NOOOO! Not Manning!
Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: February 06, 2012 02:34PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Please NOOOO! Not Manning!
Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: February 07, 2012 03:57AM

If Peyton is healthy we will be in the AFC Championship next season.

Wonder why anybody would be against that?

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: February 07, 2012 05:32AM

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: February 07, 2012 06:02AM

I agree I don't want manning. Can't we see we've been down just this road before with guys like Trent Green and all the rest. Now of course Manning is better than Green but he's even older and just as big of an injury risk---and truly do we know if Manning is better than Trent Green, given that we don't know when he'll be able to throw with velocity again?

If we can't get RG3 or Flynn then fine roll the dice but Manning should not be our #1 priority at QB. Too much risk and at BEST only a very short term reward.

Date: February 07, 2012 06:04AM

Trent Green had Brain problems. Jason Taylor once said "he is one sack away from being scrambled eggs".

To put Manning and Green any where near the same category is unjust.

---------------------

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: February 07, 2012 06:10AM

Seems to me...

Bringing in Peyton will be a 3 ring circus and NOT the right way for Philbin to usher in the future.

Way too much downside in that equation, and Philbin gives every impression he's a high IQ guy, and frankly the Peyton parlay is stupid gamble and I'm betting there's NO WAY it happens - unless Ross simply forces the issue in an act of desperation to sell tix and generate $rev.

Date: February 07, 2012 06:47AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Trent Green had Brain problems. Jason Taylor once
> said "he is one sack away from being scrambled
> eggs".
>
>
> To put Manning and Green any where near the same
> category is unjust.

I disagree. We may never know if Manning's nerves will work properly again. Supposedly this is the nerve that affects the tricept in his throwing arm. If that doesn't work, you've got a passer who can't throw with any velocity. I think that's at least as worrisome as Trent Green's scrambled egg head.

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: February 07, 2012 07:02AM

True Dolphin fans are ALWAYS convinced that we are only a few key players away, only one good draft away from the post season, only a couple of key free agent aquisitions AND maybe a new coaching staff away from the division title and probably only an elite QB away from the SB. Yada yada, been there done that, it's like that every year.
Signing Peyton has the stink of desperation on it. The guy has not thrown a football in over a year. The muscles in that arm have atrophied. I dare say that my Father could put more zip on a football than Manning at this point. How can anybody but a true Dolphins fan possibly see him regaining his prime? Ain't gonna happen.
Oh, he'd certainly put BUTTS in the seats and a smile on Ross' face but after a mediocre season Philbin would be on a shorter leash, Manning would re-sign with the Colts for 15 minutes and get his cerimonial retirement as an Indianapolis Colt, and we would be back to square one rooting for anyone playing against the cheatriots in the playoffs.

Date: February 07, 2012 07:18AM

Look if we get a Rookie we are still a few years away from being competive. Unless we get Flynn. So I'm all for manning if we can get a Rookie as well in this draft to groom for the future. Win /'Win if he is healthy.

Date: February 07, 2012 07:20AM

Passing on a QB who supposedly doesnt have throwing strength due to an injury is the exact same thing we did with Drew Brees.

Mark my words....

Peyton Manning will lead his next team to atleast 11-12 wins.

---------------------

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: February 07, 2012 07:30AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> Passing on a QB who supposedly doesnt have
> throwing strength due to an injury is the exact
> same thing we did with Drew Brees.
>
>
> Mark my words....
>
>
> Peyton Manning will lead his next team to atleast
> 11-12 wins.

Bingo!

All you can do is trust your doctors. If the green light his recovery then you sign him. If they don't then you move on.

Date: February 07, 2012 07:51AM

Difference is Brees was in his early 20s and Peyton at best has 2 more good years in him, I mean, did you guys see Marino at his age? The decline was fast and painful. We are not getting Payton at 26 yrs old with a decade of high level play in him. We're getting him at 36, coming off an injury that affects his throwing arm that has not healed yet and kept him out all last season. Comparing him to Brees is apples to oranges.

Date: February 07, 2012 08:05AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> Difference is Brees was in his early 20s and
> Peyton at best has 2 more good years in him, I
> mean, did you guys see Marino at his age? The
> decline was fast and painful. We are not getting
> Payton at 26 yrs old with a decade of high level
> play in him. We're getting him at 36, coming off
> an injury that affects his throwing arm that has
> not healed yet and kept him out all last season.
> Comparing him to Brees is apples to oranges.

Marino isn't a good comparison.

He played the last 6 or 7 years on one leg after rupturing his achillies.

Date: February 07, 2012 08:11AM

better 1 leg than 1 arm!

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: February 07, 2012 08:14AM

We have not been down this road before. Peyton Manning is one of the best QBs to ever play the game. He is not Trent Green, Duante Culpepper, Joey Harrington, or Gus Frerotte. He may never be healthy again. But, if he is, the payoff is huge. Matt Flynn has started two games. They happened a year apart, in the last week of the regular season, which everyone realizes is not always the best week to judge anyone. He has never started multiple games in a row, with teams game planning just for him, and breaking down his strengths and weaknesses. And that is the real test, and how he'll respond is an unknown. He doesn't even have a lengthy college track record to look back on. RGIII may never develop into an NFL QB. His height raises concerns, and he hasn't played under center very much. Ryan Tannehill was a receiver until a year and a half ago.

If healthy, Manning is head and shoulders above any of the other options. Even at his age. And who cares if it only creates a 2-3 year window? It's not realistic to think we're going to win multiple SUper Bowls in the next decade with Flynn or Griffin or Tannehill. I would settle for 1 with Peyton. The last time we won a Super Bowl, I was 5, so I don't remember it. I just want to see 1. Just 1. I'd be happy with that.

What sets guys like Manning and Brady apart is that they make the guys around them better. They are capable of "throwing guys open." They anticipate their best matchups, and they are incredibly accurate on their throws. That leads to guys achieving things they never could with an ordinary QB. Look at what Manning did for unheralded guys like Pierre Garcon and Austin Collie.

If the doctors are confident that Manning can recover, you roll the dice. Plain and simple. All the other guys are rolls of the dice, too. But, in Manning's case, you know that the potential payoff is an elite QB, a difference maker. You don't know that for the others.

Date: February 07, 2012 08:33AM

dolfanmark Wrote:
> We have not been down this road before. Peyton
> Manning is one of the best QBs to ever play the
> game. He is not Trent Green, Duante Culpepper,
> Joey Harrington, or Gus Frerotte. He may never be
> healthy again. But, if he is, the payoff is huge.
> Matt Flynn has started two games. They happened a
> year apart, in the last week of the regular
> season, which everyone realizes is not always the
> best week to judge anyone. He has never started
> multiple games in a row, with teams game planning
> just for him, and breaking down his strengths and
> weaknesses. And that is the real test, and how
> he'll respond is an unknown. He doesn't even have
> a lengthy college track record to look back on.
> RGIII may never develop into an NFL QB. His height
> raises concerns, and he hasn't played under center
> very much. Ryan Tannehill was a receiver until a
> year and a half ago.
>
> If healthy, Manning is head and shoulders above
> any of the other options. Even at his age. And who
> cares if it only creates a 2-3 year window? It's
> not realistic to think we're going to win multiple
> SUper Bowls in the next decade with Flynn or
> Griffin or Tannehill. I would settle for 1 with
> Peyton. The last time we won a Super Bowl, I was
> 5, so I don't remember it. I just want to see 1.
> Just 1. I'd be happy with that.
>
> What sets guys like Manning and Brady apart is
> that they make the guys around them better. They
> are capable of "throwing guys open." They
> anticipate their best matchups, and they are
> incredibly accurate on their throws. That leads to
> guys achieving things they never could with an
> ordinary QB. Look at what Manning did for
> unheralded guys like Pierre Garcon and Austin
> Collie.
>
> If the doctors are confident that Manning can
> recover, you roll the dice. Plain and simple. All
> the other guys are rolls of the dice, too. But, in
> Manning's case, you know that the potential payoff
> is an elite QB, a difference maker. You don't know
> that for the others.

thumbs up

Date: February 07, 2012 08:37AM

you make a compelling case Mark. I am not in favor of Manning as our #1 option but could live with it. I don't think we are a SB team even with Manning, however. How many SBs did Manning win in his prime with better talent than we have now?
I just think this offseason is a rare opportunity to get our house in order for years to come. Seems like we've got a smart HC who "gets" offense and the QB position, and I'd like to solve our QB spot and not rely on yet another very short term patch.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 07, 2012 08:48AM

Yeah you make good logic as always Mark but what you are underplaying is that those are VERY BIG DICE.

Moreover, TT, sometimes these doctors are little better than advertising agents. Even in private life, as seen in court, they bend their opinion to please their client. If Ross wants to hear good news, they'll give it. If he wants to hear bad news, they'll give it.

But in every case they will put in what berk and I know is a Caveat and to the rest of you is known as a qualification.

It's like my daddy use to complain of the weather forecaster when they switched from saying it would rain to talking about a percentage chance.

When they say it's a 10% chance of rain and it doesn't rain they say, "See we told you it wouldn't rain." When it does rain, they say, "See there's that 10% we told you about."

The doctors will say that "We foresee no problems with him playing."

When he is crippled on the first hit, the doctors will defend themselves by saying "We were talking about riding the subway, not getting hit at full force by Ray Lewis."

A lot of comfort that will be to you guys then.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: February 07, 2012 08:58AM

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: February 07, 2012 09:27AM

The caveat that I see everybody employing is that of a "healthy Manning". What gives anybody the notion -except from Manning himself, certainly an objective source- that anybody would get a healthy Manning? Even if we do, he hasn't thrown a football for an entire season. He has been a notoriously slow starter over his career, so he's bound to be rusty. So, how much adequate play would we get from him? The risk is great, the rewards iffy at best.

Rick

Posted by: SCPhinsFan ()
Date: February 07, 2012 10:03AM

I agree (once again) with BigNastyFish. Wherever Manning goes next year will be a 3 ring circus.

IMO, we are not that close to being a Super Bowl contender. Miami is still a few years away even with Manning. I'd rather have Flynn.

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: February 07, 2012 10:33AM

Not exactly, it is FACT Manning does not have zip on the ball and his muscle is currently not working.

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: February 07, 2012 03:28PM

yeah dolfan hit it right on the head... think about it, even if he has a 2-3 year window last time i checked it only takes 1 year to win it all that means we have 2 or 3 cracks at it. Now listen to this, I personally thought that peyton was playing on an average team and taking them to 12 and 13 wins every year. BOOOYYYY was i wrong, take away peyton and they are the worst team in the league, so he is taking the worst team in the league and making them a top 5 team. Now look at brady, with him they win 13 games, you remove him and they went 11-5. Now who is more valuable? I have said that peyton should win MVP this year.

SO point is if he can take the worst team in the league and make them have 12 wins how many will we have since I believe we are a slightly above average team. Yeah no brainer, you roll the dice... and you pick up wayne!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.