HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Philbin's Press Conference
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Philbin's Press Conference
Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: January 22, 2012 06:33AM

After watching the press conference the word that comes to mind about Philbin is “methodical.” I agree with the other comments he seems very composed and emotionally sound. Good start.

A few key points Philbin made:

1) believes in an offensive “system” that fits the players skill set as opposed to forcing a preconceived system on the team.

2) does NOT believe in the “we’re one player away” mindset. Underscores the team aspect from top to bottom.

3) believes in methodical development as opposed to quick fixes.

When I put these three core points together, which I agree with fully, it’s rather obvious we’re NOT going to sell the farm to trade up for one college prospect. In addition, I’m really glad to hear Philbin plans on building around the existing strengths of the team and not just making the Miami Dolphins a carbon copy of the Packers.

He’s also not making any wild promises about immediate results or chasing a championship right out of the box. In my line of work that’s called “managing expectations” as opposed to the loud mouth blowhard approach of someone like Rex Ryan.

Philbin pointed out QB play is very important, but I’m glad he didn’t define the equation for success as a one man “team” that comes from desperation. I kind of got the impression he isn’t “down” on Moore. And IMO if this guy is really great coach, I bet he finds a way to improve Moore’s game in really big way – because I believe the kid has some chops to work with. That and of course the obvious possibility of bringing Flynn into the mix.

The next big step is staff. By highlighting the point the OC will call plays (if he’s up to the task) I think he kind of tipped his hand towards Clements. And that would be a excellent addition. But, and this has to be at least a 50/50 proposition, Daboll could be retained.

On the DC side, we all seem to generally favor Bowles. I’m not 100% sold on that idea because of the way our DB’s played out of the box this year. But it would seem Bowles is also a very calm, very “together” methodical type dude, and that might be the right fit with Philbin.

Last, position coaches tend to make the biggest impact in the day-to-day development of the players, so I’m betting they ALL get replaced with guys Philbin wants.

BNF.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Philbin's Press Conference
Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: January 22, 2012 07:05AM

Philbin strikes me as a very smart football coach who has a vision of what he wants to do as a head football coach. I think this franchise made a good hire based on the fact that Philbin understands this is a QB's league, and you better have a good one if you want to win. That alone seperates him from Fisher, Sparano, Wannstaadt. I could go one , but you guys get the picture. Hell even if he just makes Matt Moore better that might be good enough for us to be in the playoffs for years to come. I firmly believe that if we did not start so poorly last season that maybe we could of competed for a wild card spot last year. So this team is not that far away in terms of competing for the ultimate goal of every team at the start of the season.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: January 22, 2012 10:29AM

Coach JP carries himself extremely well. I am very optimistic in what he's capable of doing with this team. This man makes a very strong and powerful impression - you can just sense that he's very intelligent and totally ready for this commitment.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: January 22, 2012 12:28PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.