HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Blackmon the best receiver in the draft... dont be so sure
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Blackmon the best receiver in the draft... dont be so sure smiling smiley
Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: January 15, 2012 02:15PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blackmon the best receiver in the draft... dont be so sure smiling smiley
Posted by: Ken ()
Date: January 15, 2012 02:31PM

I wouldn't draft Blackmon...he is simply not fast enough and while Floyd is slightly faster he is he not fast enough either. Besides Floyd has had legal trouble and has injury concerns.

We just don't have a lot of choices in this years draft though as far as big, fast, high quality WR's go.

We really missed the boat by not taking Demerious Thomas. (I know, I know, broken record and water under the bridge.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2012 02:46PM by Ken.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: January 15, 2012 02:38PM

I like Blackmon over Floyd but they are both have huge upside.

Also keep an eye on Dwight Jones from UNC as a 2nd or 3rd...love that kids game.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: January 15, 2012 02:40PM

Alshon Jeffery is a beast.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: January 15, 2012 02:43PM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Alshon Jeffery is a beast.

yeah one of the rare times we agree lol... this is a great wr class and i think that is a position we need to upgrade. No reason we can get a probowl caliber #2 to play along side marshall.

Date: January 15, 2012 02:54PM

Jeffery is a monster.

The question for me is: "Is he the next David Boston or the next Orande Gadsden?"

He's a top 15 pick if he runs well at the combine.

If he runs in the 4.6's he's going to drop.

Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: January 15, 2012 03:09PM

lots of WR depth in the draft. No reason to trade up for Blackmon when we can grab a kid in the later first or second round with only slightly lower grade and potential. Besides, I would only draft a WR in the top 5 if he has Dre, Fitz, Megatron, or A.J. Green type skills. I don't think Blackmon is on that level or ever will be. Also, we need a compliment to our big, strong, and YAC receiver. Which pretty much means that we need someone with speed. However, I really don't think WR is that much of a need. We need a QB first and if that QB is good enough then he will make our receivers look great. Manning and Brady and even Rodgers have been doing that for years. Also, I would finish building our Oline before taking another WR. Gates, Wallace, and Moore all have potential anyways.

Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: January 15, 2012 04:06PM

No the positions we need to upgrade are as follows offensive line. QB, a pass catching tight end Gronkowski anybody, A corner back who can cover, and a another rush linebacker. Are recievers although not elite are pretty damn good if Marshall holds onto the ball instead of being afaraid of it at times.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: January 15, 2012 05:34PM

Mercilus
Dwayne Allen
Bruce Irvin
Levy Adcock

Our receivesr are average other than marshall, can get much separation

Sign a Desean jackson, Brandon Lloyd, VJ, Bowe, Colston, Eddie Royal

John Carlson, Fred Davis, Jermichael Finley FA TE's

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 15, 2012 07:43PM

I can already feel the hot breath of the Truth on me but if we find ourselves in the position of getting Blackmon whereas both Luck and RGIII are gone, get Blackmon.

You try to draft All-Pros and then build as best you can around them.

Although receiver is not the position of our greatest need, there is a need for a receiver on the other side of Brandon Marshall. We got Nat Moore when Paul Warfield was on the other side.

Why get someone besides Luck, RGIII, and Blackmon with our first round pick if we can get one of the three?

Of course, if you can't get one of the three, it's a different ball game.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: January 16, 2012 01:55AM

I agree that WR is a position where we should be looking...Hartline needs to be upgraded but I want a guy with size, hands, physicality and above average/elite speed. No 4.5/4.6 guys...4.4 or better only.

Problem is they don't grow on trees.

Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: January 16, 2012 02:59AM

Hartline needs to be upgraded if we had a QB like Brady or Manning then Hartline would be just fine. The weak link last year was Marshall not Hartline how many balls did he drop? anybody. If you take Blackmon then were changing our offense to a 3 wide reciever set with a single running back. Then an upgrade of QB will become of utmost importance.

Posted by: Jim B ()
Date: January 16, 2012 03:34AM

While I clearly believe that Blackmon is the best reciever in this draft...

I also think he will be a top 5 pick.

Floyd should be available where we are drafting and I don't really see a TE or RT that could have the same impact as Floyd.

What really stands out with Floyd is his ability in the redzone and his body control to get in position to go get the ball.

If he has overcome his alchohol problem, then I'm all in for Floyd.

Date: January 16, 2012 04:03AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> I can already feel the hot breath of the Truth on
> me but if we find ourselves in the position of
> getting Blackmon whereas both Luck and RGIII are
> gone, get Blackmon.
>

CB...I actually agree with the notion of taking blackmon at 8/9 if he falls that far. I just don't think there's any way in hell that happens.

We'd be better off taking Rielly Reiff or trading down and grabing David DeCastro, but Blackmon is a stud and he allows us to part ways with Marshall in the next year or two. Problem is, Blackmon isn't getting past St Louis.

Best options for us are to trade up for RGIII, trade down and grab an RT or G, or stay put ant take the big OT from Iowa: Rielly Reiff...in that order.

Date: January 16, 2012 12:14PM

i agree with truth. i would love blackmon but do not want to trade up for him.

Date: January 16, 2012 12:29PM

Well, he's now projected as the number 3 pick in the draft after Luck and RGIII. Question is whether we want to do it. Trade up to get him if we can that is. Right now one might say it isn't worth it to strengthen the WR corps. 15 years from now one might look upon our passing on Blackmon as we now look upon our passing on Drew Brees. Particularly if the person we draft ends up being another, who was it?

Jamar Fletcher? One thing that is forgotten by you people who advocate on passing up who everyone projects to be an All-Pro in favor of staying at your draft position and drafting someone who you like in a position of need is that that person you draft nine times out of ten ends up being a John Avery or Jamar Fletcher, etc.

Then you end up regretting it. Oh, I acknowledge the Drew Brees situation was different in that we actually passed on him for Fletcher.

But if we have the chance to make the trade for Blackmon and don't, isn't it functionally the same thing.

Date: January 16, 2012 12:31PM

No it is not. We will have to give up extra picks to get Blackmon. We will have to get in the top 5 at the very least which will cost a lot. For Brees we simply had to choose him with our pick. It is different because there are additional opportunity costs associated with getting Blackmon.

Date: January 16, 2012 12:38PM

Date: January 16, 2012 02:19PM

my bad chyren, i should have read your post more carefully. I agree with your statement as long as we had a real possibility to trade up for blackmon. Otherwise thats like saying the brees situation was functionally the same as us not trading up for eli manning, philip rivers, peyton manning, ben roethlisberger, and any other pro bowler we did not trade up for. If we have a reasonable trade scenario to go up and get Blackmon and we pass AND Blackmon turns out to be the beast every thinks he will be then i agree it is functionally the same as the Brees situation.

How much would you give up to get Blackmon? How much would you give up to get RGIII? Note: you would have to move up to #3 or #4 to get Blackmon I would guess.

Also i agree with targeting Oline later unless we can get DeCastro in the mid-later first round. I really think he will be an all-pro.

Date: January 16, 2012 02:39PM

I still think we could do well in the 2nd with Dwight Jones.

He is the next Hakeem Nicks. Promise.

---------------------

Date: January 16, 2012 07:49PM

Our first (no. 8 pick) and our second round (assuming we did not give it up in the undisclosed Reggie Bush trade, the 40th or so pick). We'd have to go a lot higher for Luck or RGIII.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: January 17, 2012 05:34AM

THE Truth Wrote:
> Jeffery is a monster.
>
> The question for me is: "Is he the next David
> Boston or the next Orande Gadsden?"
>
> He's a top 15 pick if he runs well at the
> combine.
>
> If he runs in the 4.6's he's going to drop.

David Boston had some huge years before crapping out with us. Oronde was a solid, not specatular, WR for us, though one of my favorite players. I'd hope Jeffrey would be better than both if he's someone being considered for our #1 overall pick. Hopefully he's not another Mike Williams.

Date: January 17, 2012 05:50AM

First thing you guys have to understand is that Jeffery has never had elite QB's throwing him passes like the players at USC and Ohio St.

He has Connor Shaw and Stephen Garcia throwing him the rock. confused smiley

---------------------

Date: January 17, 2012 06:01AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> First thing you guys have to understand is that
> Jeffery has never had elite QB's throwing him
> passes like the players at USC and Ohio St.
>
> He has Connor Shaw and Stephen Garcia throwing him
> the rock. confused smiley

The issue with Jeffery isn't his qb's.

The kid is huge. He's built like David Boston at the end of his career.

What will make or break him is his 40 time. If he Runs sub 4.59 he could be great. If he runs like a te then he,s going to have trouble getting seperation he'll be a possession guy like Gadsden was.

Date: January 17, 2012 06:04AM

True.

---------------------

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: January 17, 2012 06:06AM

sounds kind of like Mike Williams from USC. I remember thinking he was a beast in college, just likey Jeffery. But huge slow receivers don't make it in the pros. Dwayne Jarrett?

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: January 17, 2012 07:34AM

Going WR R1 in an interesting possibility. I do agree with the general philosophy of picking the obviously dominant player IF one is available, regardless of positional strength and/or need.

Several of you draft mavens introduce a number of impressive college WR’s in this thread, and it seems there will be some significant talent on the board when we pick. The possibility of matching Marshall with another BIG physical WR in 4 wide (add Bess and perhaps Gates) with Reggie in the backfield would certainly open up some really interesting possibilities. But…

we also have to solve the OL problem this year, and to me that should be our #1 draft priority. We also have a few young guys @WR stashed and still developing “structure” to their game, so I’d be a tad hesitant to invest in WR at the top unless (as previously stated) the dude is simply a MAN among boys (and not a head case either).

At this point, which is a long way from draft determination, I’d be inclined to trade down to lower-mid R1 (say around #20-25) and go best OT and add an additional R2 to our cache. IMO we should be able to land an immediate impact RT at that slot and use the R2 for best OG. It’s possible that strategy could land us the best RT and G in the draft – noting that most OT taken in the front-end are LT projections, and the top G’s usually hang around until R2. That would leave us with another R2 for best player (perhaps a WR) and the balance of the draft for OLB, S, TE.

Either way, the #9-10 pick is an excellent slot to trade down from, provided there’s a player on the board a team is willing to move for. The WR crop may make that a legit possibility – and that option appeals to me…

BNF.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.