HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          If I was GM, I would........
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
If I was GM, I would........
Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: January 14, 2012 08:30AM

I would pay Gruden whatever he wants, and promise him we will trade up to the second position to gurantee one of the top 2 QB.s I will sign a 5-6 contract with Gruden, with a no fire clause for that duration in order to convince him he will have a legit shot to make his run... I would tell him in order to jump up to the second spot in the draft, I suggest we offer players, rather then draft picks... If QB, is the most important position for success on a team, then we should be willing to give up anyone, to take that shot at picking up a franchise QB... I would tell Nolan that we are bringing in Gruden, and try and get him to resign with us as a defensive cordinator, based on working with Gruden... I would sign Henne, keep Moore, and Luck or RGIII... I would trade whichever has greater value, when a team is in real need of a QB and further along with the process of developing our rookie QB.. This will help us pick up back some picks and still give us a decent back up.. I would draft a guard with the second rd pick in the draft this year. and probably a MLB would be a need as well in the draft, then safety. Although if we trade Cam Wake or Solia, we would have to most likely draft their replacement pretty high or FA. That is what I would do.... What do you guys thinks, and what would you do, if u had the power?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: If I was GM, I would........
Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: January 14, 2012 09:04AM

if you are referring to Jon Gruden...that offer has been made.

He turned it down becasue we don't have a franchise QB.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: January 14, 2012 09:09AM

Yeah....offer was already made.

When Matt Moore is your QB, people stay away.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: January 14, 2012 09:15AM

how good is gruden really... he took over a team that was superbowl ready bucs team that was loaded with talent. I think the organization needs to do there homework and find some upstart coach and take a chance on him. These coaches like gruden, chower and guys that have this "immortal" statis are in my opinion to expensive. You have to do the homework and buy low, lots of qualified young smart coaches that want a shot, i say leave those broadcasting guys on the shelf.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: January 14, 2012 10:05AM

If I was GM, I would....

Make Drew Brees an offer he can't refuse and snag him from the Saints. Then it won't matter who the next coach is.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: January 14, 2012 10:37AM

.........I would find out what Nolans true intentions are, if he'll stick around as D cord, I'd hire a young offensive minded coach like Philbin or Carmichael and dump Daboll, if he's planning on bolting, I'd hire a young defensive guy like Zimmer or Winston Moss and keep Daboll.

Date: January 14, 2012 11:18AM

Hey everyone has ideas, and also everyone has a price...I dont care what Gruden told Carl Peterson.... I would close the deal.... If you want it that bad and can inspire the guy, he would coach, that is my belief... Gruden has a passion for the game like very few, if the guy pitching him can not tap into that passion, he fails.. You want to be the best, you have to be able to do what only the best can pull off, and that is luring Gruden at this point IMO... Hell offer him a Pat Riley or Don SHula type of deal, where they actually recieve ownership in the team... IMO If you are willing to give ownership to celebrities for press, show me you know what it is all about and offer it to landing a big name coach, instead of a big name celebrity to walk the orange carpet....

I would love to hear more of what you all would do, as well, as tell me why what i say is impossible... One thing I have learned about business, and life for that matter, is all the most important and impressive accomplishments are those that no one but you had faith and belief to get it done...

Date: January 14, 2012 11:19AM

Miami Reppa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> how good is gruden really... he took over a team
> that was superbowl ready bucs team that was loaded
> with talent. I think the organization needs to do
> there homework and find some upstart coach and
> take a chance on him. These coaches like gruden,
> chower and guys that have this "immortal" statis
> are in my opinion to expensive. You have to do
> the homework and buy low, lots of qualified young
> smart coaches that want a shot, i say leave those
> broadcasting guys on the shelf.

What about what Gruden did in Oakland, and what they bucs gave up in a trade for the coach.....a couple first rd picks for a coach...

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: January 14, 2012 11:24AM

We altreadey passed on brees twice and Aaron Rodgers. We are getting either

Gruden is a good coach but he has money and wants to spend time with his family

Posted by: Andy B. ()
Date: January 14, 2012 11:34AM

If I were GM, I would get off this sinking ship asap.

Date: January 14, 2012 11:37AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> .........I would find out what Nolans true
> intentions are, if he'll stick around as D cord,
> I'd hire a young offensive minded coach like
> Philbin or Carmichael and dump Daboll, if he's
> planning on bolting, I'd hire a young defensive
> guy like Zimmer or Winston Moss and keep Daboll.

I agree we cant let the defense fall apart, at this point that is critical...But is Zimmer really an upgrade over Nolan?

Date: January 14, 2012 01:46PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
But is Zimmer really an upgrade over Nolan?

Don't know enough about Zimmer, but i'm guessing not. That's why I let Nolan dictate if he's staying on as DC first before I pick a coach. I doubt Nolan would wanna work for a defensive minded HC, he might however stay on if we hire an offensive minded HC.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: January 14, 2012 02:05PM

I pay Nolan whatever it takes to keep him. I even make him the assistant head coach and guarantee his contract if thats what it takes. Then I hire, in this order; Philbin, Carmichael, Moss, or Chudzinski and do everything I can do to keep Daboll as the OC...of course this would depend a lot on the system we were going to run and whether he could run it or not. If he could then he'd have a job too.

After that the draft would be all about the offense. Ireland's orders from me, would be simple. 1. Nothing but PLAYMAKERS, 2. Nothing but FAST, FAST, FAST. and 3. and lastly nothing but SIZE.

Free agency would be all about defense, special teams, and depth. With the exception of Matt Flynn who would be #1 on the off season list of players to get. I would not guarantee him the starters job though...he'd have to outplay Moore for the job. If he's really as good as he's played so far shouldn't be a problem for him.

Date: January 14, 2012 02:26PM

Ken Wrote:
> I pay Nolan whatever it takes to keep him. I even
> make him the assistant head coach and guarantee
> his contract if thats what it takes. Then I hire,
> in this order; Philbin, Carmichael, Moss, or
> Chudzinski and do everything I can do to keep
> Daboll as the OC...of course this would depend a
> lot on the system we were going to run and whether
> he could run it or not. If he could then he'd have
> a job too.
>
> After that the draft would be all about the
> offense. Ireland's orders from me, would be
> simple. 1. Nothing but PLAYMAKERS, 2. Nothing but
> FAST, FAST, FAST. and 3. and lastly nothing but
> SIZE.
>
> Free agency would be all about defense, special
> teams, and depth. With the exception of Matt Flynn
> who would be #1 on the off season list of players
> to get. I would not guarantee him the starters job
> though...he'd have to outplay Moore for the job.
> If he's really as good as he's played so far
> shouldn't be a problem for him.

You have to let you head coach hire his own staff. If you trust his vision of where to take your franchise enough to hand him the keys to it, then you have to let him hire the people he thinks will best help him implement that vision.

If he likes Nolan...then yes...pay him whatever it takes to keep him.

If he wants to go in a different direction you have to let him.

If Nolan means that much to you you should just hire him as HC.

Date: January 14, 2012 04:00PM

I completely understand the merit in letting your head coach assemble his own staff. However, in the case of our team, the way it is right now, we have a 3-4 defense thats on the cusp of greatness. I'd be very sceptical of any coach who wanted to blow up the scheme and disrupt the continuity we have built on defense. The problem is this, whomever we bring in has to be given orders to win right away...I'd be all for cutting that person some major slack if it didn't happen but the Phins are close to being consistent winners as is, personnel wise.

If "I" am the owner, the new coach is saddled with Nolan and does not get the option to change him in year #1. Maybe year #2 depending on how things go, but not right off the bat. What he would get though is carte blanche to say what he needs on offense (and if such players were available we'd get them)...assuming an offensive coach is hired and one would be if "I" was the owner. The new coach would be able to pick and choose his other assistants and position coaches at will however.

Nolan does mean that much to me, as a defensive coordinator...just not as the Head Coach.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2012 04:27PM by Ken.

Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: January 14, 2012 04:22PM

I would hire Moss, Zimmer, or Carmicheal. I have heard great things about Zimmer and Moss. Carmicheal would be a great offensive mind. Philbin would have an outside shot depending on how his current situation plays out. I would encourage the new HC to keep the 3-4 and Nolan but I would not make it a demand for Moss or Zimmer (since they are defensive minded). Also, I would not hire Zimmer unless he is willing to adapt his defensive scheme to fit our personnel. The point in keeping Ireland is to keep continuity and I don't think Ireland would approve of major personnel changes to the strongest part of the team. I would mandate bringing in a top QB in FA or the draft but I think Ireland and the new HC would already be advocating this. If we make the right hire, have a good off season of player acquisition and player retention, and improve in a few areas we could be the 49ers lite next year. 10-6 with a wildcard berth and maybe a playoff win. Our schedule is cake so I think this is a real possibility.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: January 14, 2012 05:19PM

Two main things have hampered our coaching search:

1. Jeff Ireland (i.e. Ross insists on keeping him)

2. Draft position (so little-to-no chance in the Luck/RG3 sweepstakes)

Date: January 14, 2012 06:28PM

If I was the GM, No doubt I would do whatever necessary to move up and grab RGIII or Luck. Hit free agency and fill the Holes . I'd also get Pennington a clip board as the QB coach/ assistant.

Date: January 14, 2012 06:29PM

ohhhhh, and I'd get a cheerleader lap dance every chance I could. eye popping smileydrinking smiley

Date: January 15, 2012 05:24AM

montequi Wrote:
> Two main things have hampered our coaching
> search:
>
> 1. Jeff Ireland (i.e. Ross insists on keeping
> him)

So why did Ross have Peterson offer Gruden total control?

Again, this isn't about Ireland. Ross wants to have his GM make the personnel calls. Yes he likes Ireland and he wants him as that GM, and as evidenced by his offers to Gruden and Fisher...he's only giving that structure up for a special coach.

So if Ross IS willing to part with Ireland for the right coach...what is it that's keeping that coach from taking the job?

Anser: Our QB situation.

Date: January 15, 2012 05:35AM

THE Truth Wrote:

>
> Anser: Our QB situation.

That is a convenient answer but hardly the Truth...lol... For example, last year Harbaugh turned us down, and choose the 49ers, over us, and Alex Smith...a guy that many considered a bum at the Qb position.....
You just want to defend your position and the only way to do that, is to blame it on the QB...When in all reality, Matt Moore did much better this year then 85 percent of the QB's in the NFL... The only Qb's that rated better then Moore this year, all went to the probowl.. I am not trying to say Matt Moore is Dan Marino, but he is hardly the burden yu are trying to make him out to be....
It is all on Matt Moore, not really the douchebags of the group Ireland and Ross..... right, keep believing that nonsense... I can only laugh it off... I think you must have lost IQ points, when you lost your old screen name..lol....PF2 was brilliant, "The Truth" , is nothing but hot air....

Date: January 15, 2012 06:51AM

Last year we didn't have an open vacancy Crowder, Harbaugh would of been shunned in the coaching fraternity if he would of taken a HC job that wasn't open yet. Major boo boo by Ross for even chasing him.

Date: January 15, 2012 07:05AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> Last year we didn't have an open vacancy Crowder,
> Harbaugh would of been shunned in the coaching
> fraternity if he would of taken a HC job that
> wasn't open yet. Major boo boo by Ross for even
> chasing him.

Why d you guys keep making excuses for these guys... Harbaugh is an egotistical prick, like Ireland... Except Harbaugh wins..... I dont think Harbaugh with his personality paid it any thought, about being shunned for taking the Miami job.... Harbaugh, is already shunned from alot of the coaching fraternity for how he acts to other coaches... ie; Jim Schwartz ready to swing on the guy after the 49ers, Detroit... Again another convenient answer, but I dont buy that it is the truth...The truth is Ross and Ireland, are not attractive bosses, and guys to rely on your future or livelhood IMO. They have proven nothing but they can do the wrong foolish actions and PR really well..... If Mr H, went out to get Harbaugh he would have got him... Neither Ireland nor Ross, have shown me that ability at all....
I hope if they stay, they obviosuly prove me wrong, but until they start showing me something positive and smart. I am not going to give these fools a pass...

Date: January 15, 2012 07:42AM

Well I give up then, I guess the only left for you to do is become a Bucs or Jags fan.

Date: January 15, 2012 08:52AM

I hate the BUCs and Jags....lol.... I will root for my team no matter what, I always have, always will... But that doesnt mean I have to make excuses for how things have been handled by management...
I hope they pull off something smart and effective. I am sure Ireland has the ability to analyze talent, just not sure if he can close the deal... And when you put Carl Peterson, Ross, and Ireland in a room, it just doesnt scream confidence in the process to me...hahahaha

Date: January 15, 2012 11:00AM

Date: January 15, 2012 11:24AM

FYI-

Matt Moore was rated out this year as the 12 best Qb rated in the NFL.... the only guys that rated ahead of him except Alex Smith(who is in the NFC Championship game) have all been to a probowl... Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Tony Romo, Stafford, Schaub, Eli Manning, Matt Ryan, Ben Roth, Phillip Rivers and then Matt Moore.....that is not something to just discount sorry... I am not convinced he is the next Dan Marino or anything like that, but I am hardly willing to right off us having the 12 best Qb in the NFl on our team right now.... Sorry , that would be just foolish... We havent had a top 12 Qb on our team in ages.... I am all for getting a top 5 guy but until we do, dont throw the number 12 guy away with the garbage either....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2012 11:24AM by Crowder52.

Date: January 15, 2012 11:40AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> FYI-
>
> Matt Moore was rated out this year as the 12 best
> Qb rated in the NFL.... the only guys that rated
> ahead of him except Alex Smith(who is in the NFC
> Championship game) have all been to a probowl...
> Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Tony Romo,
> Stafford, Schaub, Eli Manning, Matt Ryan, Ben
> Roth, Phillip Rivers and then Matt Moore.....that
> is not something to just discount sorry... I am
> not convinced he is the next Dan Marino or
> anything like that, but I am hardly willing to
> right off us having the 12 best Qb in the NFl on
> our team right now.... Sorry , that would be just
> foolish... We havent had a top 12 Qb on our team
> in ages.... I am all for getting a top 5 guy but
> until we do, dont throw the number 12 guy away
> with the garbage either....

Didn't say get rid of Moore.

He's a GREAT backup and part time starter.

He's a crappy "franchise" QB.

Date: January 15, 2012 11:59AM

right, but would u agree every guy but Alex Smith who ranked ahead of him this year is a franchise QB? Would you also agree it was his first year with the team, a team in a brand new offensive system and offensive coach.. As well as one of the worst rated offensive line in the NFL? And that we had no offseason really to help him learn. And that he was also thrown in without alot of first team snaps unexpectedly after an injury to the starter. And his Head Coach was also fired for a quarter of those games.. That sounds like alot going against a guy for him to still finish 12 to me..

Date: January 15, 2012 01:14PM

I agree, Moore has a lot going for him. But, I also agree that we have to bring someone else in, as competition at the very least. Moore is Jay Fiedler re-incarnated...give me a break, Moore is better than Fiedler ever was.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.