Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Adam Schefter says that the Colts will take...
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Adam Schefter says that the Colts will take...
Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: January 02, 2012 04:56AM

Robert Griffin III *or* Andrew Luck #1 overall. It is not only Andrew Luck sweepstakes anymore.

Says that RG3 has made this a very hard decision, and that inside sources told him that RG3 may actually be the #1 pick.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Adam Schefter says that the Colts will take...
Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: January 02, 2012 05:02AM

Hell yeah that's great for us,and bad for us. what this means is Manning will come back to start for the Colts again while Griffin learns from him. It also means that when we play the Colts next season Manning will face our defense again.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: January 02, 2012 05:03AM

Colts said the same thing when they were choosing between Manning and Leaf.

Don't buy it. They are just chumming the trade waters. They don't want all the trade calls for teams interested in Griffin going to the Rams at #2.

They'll take Luck. They know that kid inside and out because Polian's son is on Stanford's staff.

So even if they think they are equal, Luck is the safer pick. He's less of an unknown to them.

Date: January 02, 2012 05:07AM

Most likely true, Phinsfan.

Still....this race was a one horse race for a near 2 years, to see another player actually moving into that space is pretty crazy.

---------------------

Date: January 02, 2012 05:10AM

Finshady Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hell yeah that's great for us,and bad for us.
> what this means is Manning will come back to start
> for the Colts again while Griffin learns from him.
> It also means that when we play the Colts next
> season Manning will face our defense again.

I read it a little differently.

I agree, this is the first indication I've seen that the Colts will bring back Manning.

The fact that they would put Griffin on equal footing with Luck publicly like this tells me they are trying to drum up interest in a trade for the top spot and they don't want that deal going to the Rams at #2. The more guys they are interested in at #1 the more teams that have to talk with them if they really want a kid. I mean, if they came out and said Luck is the best player in the draft bar none...then the only trade calls they'll get are about Luck. Anyone interested in Griffin would be calling the Rams.

Smart move on their part.

A very interesting development, and not because they are actually considering Griffin over Luck.

very interesting indeed.

Date: January 02, 2012 05:13AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> Most likely true, Phinsfan.
>
> Still....this race was a one horse race for a near
> 2 years, to see another player actually moving
> into that space is pretty crazy.

Phinsfan2 is dead...winking smiley

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: January 02, 2012 05:21AM

my prediction, both manning and luck are on the colts next year.
I am not buying for one minute that they are seriously considering griffin at #1 overall.

Date: January 02, 2012 05:39AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> my prediction, both manning and luck are on the
> colts next year.

I can't see it happening. I think that we are going to have to have a friendly wager on that. smileys with beer

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: January 02, 2012 06:16AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> my prediction, both manning and luck are on the
> colts next year.
> I am not buying for one minute that they are
> seriously considering griffin at #1 overall.

Had this talk with the new guy last night, I don't see the Colts dumping Manning UNLESS they feel he hasn't (and won't) fully recovered from his neck/back problems.

Date: January 02, 2012 06:39AM

dolphaholic Wrote:

> X 2
> Had this talk with the new guy last night, I don't
> see the Colts dumping Manning UNLESS they feel he
> hasn't (and won't) fully recovered from his
> neck/back problems.

Ok, lets say the Colts feel he's 100% healthy.

How do they justify paying him $28 mill a year for the next 3 years WITHOUT using every asset at your disposal to build the team around him for another title run?

Date: January 02, 2012 10:44AM

Who ever is left as #2 , Miami needs to pull the trigger and move up. Neither of these Two are Ryan Leaf.

Posted by: Doug-THE-Dolfan ()
Date: January 03, 2012 07:10AM

I will bet anything at any odds that Indy takes Luck with the first pick. Any takers?

We will see, in the next several years, how an Indy franchize QB wins a SB (again).

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: January 03, 2012 07:38AM

They DO NOT have to pay him that much money. Manning himself stated that he did the deal like that in case something like this happeneed. He will sign for less.

Date: January 03, 2012 08:49AM

dolphin Wrote:
> They DO NOT have to pay him that much money.
> Manning himself stated that he did the deal like
> that in case something like this happeneed. He
> will sign for less.

That's not quite what he said. He said, and I'm paraphrasing, that it was a one year deal with a 3 year team option that gave the team a way out if it choose to go in a different direction.

If you think Manning is hoping they draft Andrew Luck and not Ryan Kalil or Justin Blackmon then you are kidding yourself.

Posted by: dolfan1 ()
Date: January 05, 2012 11:59AM

We end up with nothing again

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: January 05, 2012 12:33PM

I dont think this comment is a surprise, by the time of draft RG3 will be the consensus number1 pick no question (i nearly bet a little bit of cash on it grinning smiley). And the reason (barring some personal issue) they will be forced to draft him in addition to being #1 is because oliver luck thinks he is a HOF and he will push for his son to be the starter, even pulling a elway/ eli manning. You cant have two lions on one mountain, one has to go... as the saying goes. And with the cleaning of house of the napolians manning "WILL" be back. OF the two RG3 is the guy that has the smaller ego and would be easier to sit on the shell for two or three years. With all the hype luck MUST start his rookie year, and that wont happen in indy. See common logic!

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 05, 2012 02:16PM

dolfan1 Wrote:
> We end up with nothing again

You've never stated your preference, dolfan1. In your view, assuming we could get them, Who should we draft?

Date: January 06, 2012 07:38AM

Hi Miami Reppa. I will state again: I will bet anyone, with any odds that Indy takes Luck with the first pick.

Any takers?

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: January 06, 2012 09:20AM

Don’t see it… RGIII is a project in comparison to Luck, who is 100% ready to step into a pro offense and execute at a high level. Luck is definitely the most “NFL ready” QB I’ve seen coming out in quite a while (Matt Ryan is the first that comes to mind, and of course we passed on him, haha. And Matt Ryan ramped-up day one, in fact his first pass was like a 60+ yard TD! Luck will be the same- right out of the box).

Keep in mind, I’m not saying Luck has the best arm or that RGIII might (???) be better 4 or 5 years down the road, but I seriously doubt that unless circumstances conspire in a huge way for RGIII and against Luck. Luck is NFL ready in the brain, and that’s a HUGE consideration. RGIII has significant downside to go with his upside…

But one interesting point IMO. As far as Luck going to Indy, his skill set is a LOT different than Manning. Bottom line, he’s not even close to what Manning was coming out. Manning has a significantly bigger arm with more velocity, higher release point and better accuracy on deep outs and the more difficult NFL throws.

Luck is NOT the player Manning was, or may still be. But he will be the #1 pick and unless Indy trades, which I believe is at least a possibility, he’s a Colt.

BNF.

Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: January 06, 2012 10:09AM

Good points BNF. I completely agree with Luck not having the best arm for the NFL. Luck has the intangibles, experience in the pro system, and brain for the NFL. the only question is his arm. He does not have great velocity on his throws. He does not have a great release. He has made up for this by processing the reads quickly and anticipating the play. I'm not sure that will be enough in the NFL.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: January 06, 2012 10:33AM

BigNastyFish Wrote:
> Don’t see it… RGIII is a project in comparison
> to Luck, who is 100% ready to step into a pro
> offense and execute at a high level. Luck is
> definitely the most “NFL ready” QB I’ve seen
> coming out in quite a while (Matt Ryan is the
> first that comes to mind, and of course we passed
> on him, haha. And Matt Ryan ramped-up day one, in
> fact his first pass was like a 60+ yard TD! Luck
> will be the same- right out of the box).
>
But that's what they said about Blaine Gabbert (and Ryan Mallett) over Cam Newton. Gabbert was more "NFL ready", but look at what he has done compared to Newton.

Date: January 06, 2012 10:36AM

Luck can be very effective in the NFL in the RIGHT system. But yea, he’s not the kind of beast like Manning (or Marino) that can literally carry a team. Those guys are like one every 20 years or so…

That said, if Luck goes to Indy, and he starts day one, they will run a noticeably different offense with him verses Manning. One significant downside is the fact Indy doesn’t have a running game, and Luck has benefited from a VERY balanced offense behind an excellent OL – which I don’t believe Indy has either.

But Luck has a very high football IQ and is a surprisingly good athlete, so I believe he can be very solid in the NFL, but not “spectacular.” The one dude in the NFL right now that’s got the entire package is Aaron Rogers. He’s the top dog for the foreseeable future, by a significant margin IMO. I don’t see Luck evolving into a player that rivals what Rogers’s game is all about. But he’s a winner and seems to be the type of player that makes others players better.

I’d love to have him if we could get him, but there’s NO WAY I’d sell the farm for him. He’s just not that dominant and doesn’t project to be. But I wouldn’t sell the farm for RGIII either. I still think (maybe) the kid from OK (Landry Jones) has the most upside of the group. Too bad he skipped the draft. I like his arm a lot and he sure looks like an NFL QB.

Date: January 06, 2012 10:41AM

Luck carried Stanford the last 3 seasons. He literally carried them through their bowl game the other night only missing on 4 passes.

Peyton Manning never won a big game in College.

---------------------

Date: January 06, 2012 10:49AM

I think you’re overstating the point a bit by saying Luck “carried” the team. IMO you’re discounting their OL, TE’s and running game way too much. But whatever…

Beyond that, there’s a HUGE difference between “carrying” a PAC10 team and doing the same, or similar, in the NFL. And frankly I just don’t see those kinds of chops when I evaluate Luck’s total package.

Manning could carry a team, Marino could carry a team, and maybe Rogers is in that category now. But no way is Luck that kind of dominant player…Not even close my friend. But hey, we’ll see how things play out.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 06, 2012 11:04AM

Not right now, BNF, although he comes damn close. But on OUR team, he would need people who get paid to catch the ball and damnit, wonder of wonders, they EVEN CATCH THE BALL WHEN IT HITS THEM IN THE HAND, particularly Brandon Marshall. I don't care if the ball is going a thousand miles an hour. You are a damn receiver and your ONLY function is to catch the ball. Even if you don't get a single yard in YAC. Catch the damn ball, dammit! That's a bigger problem that worrying about Luck or RGIII. You could go into a timemachine and bring back the 1985 Dan Marino and these clowns would still drop about 35% of his passes.

I'm sorry. I'm down on people who do not do their jobs and that means the pansy receivers and the brain dead coaching.

Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: January 06, 2012 12:33PM

BigNastyFish Wrote:
> I think you’re overstating the point a bit by
> saying Luck “carried” the team. IMO you’re
> discounting their OL, TE’s and running game way
> too much. But whatever…
>
> Beyond that, there’s a HUGE difference between
> “carrying” a PAC10 team and doing the same, or
> similar, in the NFL. And frankly I just don’t
> see those kinds of chops when I evaluate Luck’s
> total package.
>
> Manning could carry a team, Marino could carry a
> team, and maybe Rogers is in that category now.
> But no way is Luck that kind of dominant
> player…Not even close my friend. But hey,
> we’ll see how things play out.

Agreed. Luck will lots of talent around him , namely a good running game, to rely on. I don't think he will be in the same league as Brady, Brees, and Rodgers. Luck reminds me a bit of Pennington actually. Extremely smart, great pre snap adjustments, accurate arm, and questionably velocity on passes. Luck is obviously more athletic and while his velocity on throws may be in question, overall his arm is much stronger than Penningtons. My point is that Pennington was at his best with good TEs and a strong running game(stanford has these). Pennington made his living by checking into the best play possibly, making good decisions, and throwing accurately. These are the things that Luck will be best at.

Date: January 09, 2012 07:27AM

Hmm...did Joe Montana have a rife arm? Does Tom Terrific have a rifle arm? Its foot ball accruacy that needs to be judged. Having a rife arm sure does not hurt, but it sure is not absolutely necessary.

You just have to have a "good enough" arm and a whole lot of football smarts.

Date: January 09, 2012 07:43AM

Seriously, I just want to BARF in huge way when someone calls Brady “terrific.” He’s the absolute poster boy of flag football and gets the glaring benefit of his OWN PRIVATE rules (!!!) including legalized holding by his OL, don’t touch don’t ask, just fall down if you get touched Tom, and… I can’t stand the fact such a pathetic athlete (his combine “workout” is still a HOF laugher) get’s “respect” when he’s obviously a “chosen player” on a fixed, cheating team. He’s garbage in my book, and an absolute POS player in the real era of football when the QB didn’t polish her nails in the pocket…

Date: January 09, 2012 07:51AM

BigNastyFish Wrote:
> Seriously, I just want to BARF in huge way when
> someone calls Brady “terrific.” He’s the
> absolute poster boy of flag football and gets the
> glaring benefit of his OWN PRIVATE rules (!!!)
> including legalized holding by his OL, don’t
> touch don’t ask, just fall down if you get
> touched Tom, and… I can’t stand the fact such
> a pathetic athlete (his combine “workout” is
> still a HOF laugher) get’s “respect” when
> he’s obviously a “chosen player” on a fixed,
> cheating team. He’s garbage in my book, and an
> absolute POS player in the real era of football
> when the QB didn’t polish her nails in the
> pocket…

LOL.....While I throughly enjoyed that rant , dude really? You need to give a little credit where credit is due. I agree the rules for QB's lately are a joke. But Brady still has a heck of a feel for the game.

Date: January 09, 2012 08:07AM

IMO the only thing he feels is Welker’s balls in the huddle.

Tom Brady is a ZERO athlete that needs everything “perfect” around him and 10 seconds to throw AND a clear line of sight AND a wide open receiver AND… He’s the numero uno #1 prime example of how the NFL has degraded the integrity of the game for the benefit of a few chosen teams and a few chosen players.

Seriously, the Lady has his own private set of “rules” that basically define her as a flag football player. What a sham…Really.

IMO Dan Marino would be passing for 700 yards a game with the “benefits” that Lady gets… It’s a JOKE.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2012 08:08AM by BigNastyFish.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.